Post-Game Talk: We got shutout

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Seemed like all game long no one could make a decent pass or receive a pass. If they were not passing it into skates, the receiving player just couldn't pick up the pass cleanly.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
No team that purposely tanked for picks have won the cup in the nu:NHL to date.

Other than the ones who did of course.

By the way how can you tell a "tanking" team from a rebuilding team? What's so bad about trading away players for picks that you think deserves to be "punished?"

That's literally the only way to do it quickly. If you're a bad team and want to get good you need lots of picks in the drafts to find good players. So trade away players who can get you lots of good picks which in turn usually means you lose a lot of games.

You're just trying to punish rebuilding teams. And it's a pretty pathetically transparent attempt to just make your own team better by bringing everyone else down.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If the NHL were to change the rules like they did with the cap circumvention, and that's raising rookie NHL contracts so top rookies get paid more, and get raises faster. Thus hurting their cap so they can't horde all the prospects, which results in making their window tighter.

Take parity to the next level so mediocre teams can get a piece of the pie, too.

Haha, do you understand why rookie rules are the way they are? Because it gives owners the maximum amount of time to underpay players. They would NEVER give that up. Shorter ELCs/RFA periods would be a windfall for the NHLPA.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
I'm hoping the NHL finds a way to punish teams who purposely tank, much like teams who tried to circumvent the cap are now being punished.

NHL shouldn't be the new government welfare check in terms that the lazy and/or bad-at-their-job teams should get rewarded.

Except the leafs did not tank on purpose- almost every loss was a one goal loss, they just had no talent.

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
The leafs also split their goaltending evenly second half of the season and that was intentional tanking as well. Until the NHL changes something their will be tanking period and you can't blame teams. Once your out of the playoffs you should finish last. Why wouldn't you want the #1 pick. I don't like it at all but that's reality.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The leafs also split their goaltending evenly second half of the season and that was intentional tanking as well. Until the NHL changes something their will be tanking period and you can't blame teams. Once your out of the playoffs you should finish last. Why wouldn't you want the #1 pick. I don't like it at all but that's reality.

Yup, why finish bottom 15 and pick 15th, when you can finish 30th and maybe pick #1.

If you start a race where 15 teams want that #1 pick, then who does it hurt? It hurts the game and it hurts the fans. People calling for "tank, tank, tank" aren't exclusive to your team, but nearly league wide. In this weak draft, there's fanbases across the league that want that #1 pick. The nu:mentality of the nu:NHL is "if you can't finish first, simply finish last".

It's like fans think there are 2 trophies; the Stanley Cup, and the #1 overall pick.... and sadly, not necessarily in that order. :eek:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
To tank or to rebuild?

They look identical. You're going to try to divine intent but that's impossible.

I'm not trying to divine anything. I don't care if it's called tank or rebuild the intent is the same for all intents and purposes. They built that team by design last year. The intent was to purge the core and build through youth. The best way to do that is to get bad draft high and hope for the best. It's smart and I don't care what label is attached to it.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yup, why finish bottom 15 and pick 15th, when you can finish 30th and maybe pick #1.

If you start a race where 15 teams want that #1 pick, then who does it hurt? It hurts the game and it hurts the fans. People calling for "tank, tank, tank" aren't exclusive to your team, but nearly league wide. In this weak draft, there's fanbases across the league that want that #1 pick. The nu:mentality of the nu:NHL is "if you can't finish first, simply finish last".

It's like fans think there are 2 trophies; the Stanley Cup, and the #1 overall pick.... and sadly, not necessarily in that order. :eek:

If you're not first you're last. Woohoo we're a playoff flame out! .

Last edited by a moderator:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If you're not first you're last. Woohoo we're a playoff flame out! .

No. My point was tanking will be as hard as winning a Stanley Cup because everyone will do whatever it takes to get those top picks.

NHL will eventually have to make new rules to try and stop it. TML's shanaplan tank was not only a blatant full fledged intentional tank, but they even announced it like it was something of great pride; a badge of honor... if you will. To me, it seems more like cheating not-much-differently-than the Devils tried to do with the Kovalchuk cap circumvention contract (attempt) they got popped for some years ago.

Is this what the NHL have become?

Where's the pride?

Where's the dignity?

[tanking] needs to get nipped in the ass just like the cap circumvention loophole did.

Last edited by a moderator:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No team that purposely tanked for picks have won the cup in the nu:NHL to date.

this just is not true

the pens tanked HARD in the early 2000's with the trades of Jagr, Kovalev, Straka etc and it took a few years but they won the cup
the Hawks tanked bad for Towes and Kane and won the cup couple years later

it has absolutely happened

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks did not tank. I assure you that had Bill Wirtz continued on both would have been traded not extended when ELC expired

Worst Hawks team during the dark years was rewarded with Cam ####### Barker because of lotto ,, That is not a reward and no team tanks for Cam ####### Barker!

2007 was the hocky gods righting the wrong that was 2004

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
this just is not true

the pens tanked HARD in the early 2000's with the trades of Jagr, Kovalev, Straka etc and it took a few years but they won the cup
the Hawks tanked bad for Towes and Kane and won the cup couple years later

it has absolutely happened

I hope you wouldn't judge the DRW board based on the posts of a few frustrated individuals. I think some are having a difficult time with whats looking to be the worst Wings season in 25 years. I notice as the team dwindles game to game the trolling and panic here is intensifying.

A few comments about the game:

I enjoyed watching up until it was 3-0 in the 3rd. The Maple Leafs are a good skating team and I thought it brought out that side of Detroit.

It was close for 2 periods. The subject of parity has been mentioned recently and this was another example of how close NHL teams are. Only a real hockey fan could discern the small edge the Leafs had cycling and winning races grow slowly as time went on. Mantha rattled a nice shot off Andersen's blocker and post. If that goes in it's tied and a different game. Can you imagine if Helm had hands? Haha. A couple of our mixed up lines had good pressure the first minutes of the 3rd. Keep the Tatar, Nielsen, Mantha line, FTW! :laugh:

Someone said Tatar is just buzzing the last few weeks, I agree he's been more noticeable, nice to see.

Mike Green wow that was dominant. He proved how much stronger and experienced he is compared to a lot of the Leafs rookies. One of the best games of the season from him.

Mantha played with a chip on his shoulder I thought the effort/compete level was totally there- he also was more involved.

Again those deflected goals. Ericsson's ankle. The JVR backhand tipped right up XO's stick. Matthews goal was filthy I don't think with Mrazek AND Coreau in net that puck is stopped. Strange the majority comments you read in a shutout is criticizing goaltending and defense. Our forwards scored 0 goals but hey let's forget that inconvenient fact.

I had a strong feeling tonight IF the Wings miss out Blashill could be canned. His manic line juggling for 2 season is so unorthodox and we're declining in every was under his watch. I wonder if Holland exterminates Blash's contract and searches for a known, veteran coach instead. It such an obvious move Holland would be an idiot not to put the blame on someone else.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If you're not tanking, you're not trying. Should be the league's new motto.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Curious what is mood in Detroit to this team at this point?

It's segmented into many parts.

Some want the team to try and succeed in getting a playoff birth.

Others don't really care either way as long as the kids show growth and improvement

And the remaining folks want the place to burn to the ground and ownership to clean house.

Beyond that the team simply isn't fun to watch most nights. Most of the players can't complete simple passes, so you're stuck watching icing after icing.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This team is painful to watch anymore. I was so frustrated last night I actually shut the game off and put basketball on after the 3rd goal.

I was 50-50 tank vs. playoffs. Last night made me like 90-10 tank.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No. My point was tanking will be as hard as winning a Stanley Cup because everyone will do whatever it takes to get those top picks.

NHL will eventually have to make new rules to try and stop it. TML's shanaplan tank was not only a blatant full fledged intentional tank, but they even announced it like it was something of great pride; a badge of honor... if you will. To me, it seems more like cheating not-much-differently-than the Devils tried to do with the Kovalchuk cap circumvention contract (attempt) they got popped for some years ago.

Is this what the NHL have become?

Where's the pride?

Where's the dignity?

[tanking] needs to get nipped in the ass just like the cap circumvention loophole did.
All soapboxes aside...

Aggressively rebuilding doesn't happen often, but it is by no means a new phenomenon. Over the years, there have been all sorts of tactics, from the mundane, to the downright shady, to go after elite talent.

I mean geez, take a look at how Gretzky came up through the ranks. It almost qualifies as a scandal:

http://www.hockeydb.com/articles/wayne_gretzky_never_drafted.php

The point is that fair play is founded on the premise that worse teams should have a better chance at better new players. If you want to tweak the weighting in the lottery a tad, OK, but owners will never go for the extreme measures you're suggesting, and nor should they.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I didn't think Blashill would get fired this year until last night. Now I think he's getting fired this year.

Detroit flat out gave up last night. This is good news for a certain subset of the fans, but for those who like to watch the Wings play hockey it's a very, very bleak development.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Every single pro sports league does the draft this way.

You believing it should be other-wise is largely just driven by self-interest because we are a team that never drafts high.

The system isn't broken.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The system isn't broken.

The system should be every team that doesn't make the playoffs gets the same odds of drafting 1st overall. Then they can draw the rest of the picks 2-14 using the same system. It would incentivize all teams to be competitive. It's the only way of removing tanking method for good.b

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad