Post-Game Talk: We got shutout

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
There were quite a few Leafs fans who were against tanking altogether.

The same anti-tank fans are head-over-heals in love with Auston Matthews.

Tanking is good, if you do it right.

I'm hoping the NHL finds a way to punish teams who purposely tank, much like teams who tried to circumvent the cap are now being punished.

NHL shouldn't be the new government welfare check in terms that the lazy and/or bad-at-their-job teams should get rewarded.

Iamtheliquor*

Dec 15, 2015
Was really hoping these two teams would build a solid rivalry again once detroit moved back to the east. So far the leafs were bad while the wings were good and it's looking like the wings are in need of some changes.

From an outsiders view tho, your team isn't bad. Pretty damn competitive actually, its the lack of saves at specific times. Hoping things turn around for you guys tho, the league is a lot better with a good Detroit team.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What is defined as purposefully tanking to you?

A team that looks to build for the future takes risks by doing so. How is that unfair?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Would like to see sproul back in the lineup as well as smith. Team can't defend a lick to save there life so mine as well be mobile and as puck movement as possible

Kronwall-Green
DK- oullette
Smith- sproul

Iamtheliquor*

Dec 15, 2015
I'm hoping the NHL finds a way to punish teams who purposely tank, much like teams who tried to circumvent the cap are now being punished.

NHL shouldn't be the new government welfare check in terms that the lazy and/or bad-at-their-job teams should get rewarded.

Honestly they should make the entire draft a lottery except for the top 10 teams.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm going to ask you again. What are the Wings' man games lost without accounting for Franzen or Vitale?
I was intrigued, so I looked it up (according to mangameslost.com):

As of January 21, 2017, Detroit led the league with 322 MGL. That includes Franzen (46) and Vitale (46). Without those two, it's 230. That's still good for 2nd highest, behind Edmonton's 263, and slightly ahead of Buffalo's 223.

So definitely higher than I had guessed...but I only shed so many tears for a bunch of (mostly) scrubs missing games.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Was really hoping these two teams would build a solid rivalry again once detroit moved back to the east. So far the leafs were bad while the wings were good and it's looking like the wings are in need of some changes.

From an outsiders view tho, your team isn't bad. Pretty damn competitive actually, its the lack of saves at specific times. Hoping things turn around for you guys tho, the league is a lot better with a good Detroit team.

Wow what's with all these leaf fans. It's not like it's a playoff game lol

It's not about the saves. The dfence is garbage. And we only have about 4-6 good to decent forwards. Team won't be good for years. Unless we can get dahlin

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan

As of January 21, 2017, Detroit led the league with 322 MGL. That includes Franzen (46) and Vitale (46). Without those two, it's 230. That's still good for 2nd highest, behind Edmonton's 263, and slightly ahead of Buffalo's 223.

So definitely higher than I had guessed...but I only shed so many tears for a bunch of (mostly) scrubs missing games.
Our injuries are not nearly as severe as numbers indicate. There were stretches in previous seasons where we had both Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves plugged in to the top 6 because our entire forward group was decimated with injuries. Besides Howard, our important players have been as healthy as you can ask. Vanek missing a handful of games is as bad as its gotten for usm

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

The Maple Leafs team that tanked for Auston Matthews had poor results but excellent work ethic and drive.

The management intentionally chose to try out tons of players, due to the lack of talent on the roster. It was an attempt to burn a season in order to have a shot at a possible franchise player. It was luck they drew the numbers and it could have easily gone the other way. But the fact that the players put in work during a tank season, it was easy to swallow. There is nothing wrong with burning a season and re-assessing the future of the organization.

The Maple Leafs haven't been tanking for half a decade. Up until 2015/16, they were trying to win games but were just awful.

If you're talking about tanking like the Oilers, that's a different story.

Toronto didn't do what Edmonton did.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What is defined as purposefully tanking to you?

A team that looks to build for the future takes risks by doing so. How is that unfair?

One thing that might help is change the RFA time. Say after 1 full season, the rookie is now eligble for UFA status and can get paid by what ever team is the highest bidder.

So that means McDavid and Matthews could be pursued by other teams at the young age of 20, and the highest bidder has a legit chance at landing them.

That would make teams more careful how they "rebuild".

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
its so weird. We had better quality chances tonight and more quality chances but were shutout. Meanwhile mrasuk who should not play again leaked softy in after softy.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
One thing that might help is change the RFA time. Say after 1 full season, the rookie is now eligble for UFA status and can get paid by what ever team is the highest bidder.

So that means McDavid and Matthews could be pursued by other teams at the young age of 20, and the highest bidder has a legit chance at landing them.

That would make teams more careful how they "rebuild".

Are you serious?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

It is called the lottery. Try to keep up.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Tearing apart a bad team and giving it the best chance at successfully rebuilding seems like the most responsible direction an organization can take. The Leafs have been talked about a lot tonight but, realistically, what else were they supposed to do?

Incompetence and half-thought out attempts at team building is what put them into that position in the first place. Were they just supposed to keep signing guys to bad deals in an effort to raise themselves to mediocrity?

Does everyone need to gut their house and rebuild it? No, I don't think so, but buying $500 ceiling fans to put on ceilings with cracked plaster doesn't do any good, either.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Are you serious?

Yes. It'll make things more interesting. That would make the #1 overall picked players a little more interesting around the league. Maybe TMLs tanks for Mattews, but Sabres can sign him at $8 million for 7 years before he hits 21.

And if, say Nylander is picked up by Jets for $8 million, then he tanks... that means Jets have to live with a bad contract or buy him out.

And NHL should end trading bad contracts like Red Wings did to get rid of Datsyuk's contract. That's a loophole that should shut.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

We're not bad we just lack skill and the ability to ice hockey at every position on the ice.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The lottery only works if say bottom 10 or bottom 15 teams all have an equal chance at drafting the #1 overall. I don;t like the way it is now. It needs to be changed.
I thought it was supposed to be all about parity. The system you propose would increase the probability of "haves" and "have nots", and would keep the "have nots" in the cellar for longer.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The lottery only works if say bottom 10 or bottom 15 teams all have an equal chance at drafting the #1 overall. I don;t like the way it is now. It needs to be changed.

If we're going to change it to bottom 15, which means one playoff team has a shot, why not just give every team the same odds?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Most of that number is Helm and Gator, isn't it? And Howard? Yeah, those first two being out of the lineup shouldn't be enough to send a team to the bottom five of the league.

If you're talking about tanking like the Oilers, that's a different story.

Toronto didn't do what Edmonton did.

Even Edmonton I don't think has been this lousy intentionally. Part of it was bad luck when Pronger forced his way out, part of it was sheer incompetence at building the club then through the draft, and part was a weak draft or two when they drafted high.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I thought it was supposed to be all about parity. The system you propose would increase the probability of "haves" and "have nots", and would keep the "have nots" in the cellar for longer.

That's correct. Parity is what the league wants, and as we're seeing now, it's what they're getting, for better or for worse.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Most teams don't tank. Not everyone on welfare is lazy. Easy with the stereotyping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad