Post-Game Talk: We get our first loss...Time to stop the streak.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 21s

Broll, Leivo and Brennan called up, Smith and Devane sent down.

BayStreetBullies*

Except Ashton took care of it...

Clarkson jumping the bench has hurt the team more than it did good, and youre a fool if you say other wise.

Ok. The next time a goon goes after Kessel and gives him a beating, you can take pride in the fact that no one jumped the bench to prevent Kessel from getting injured. :shakehead

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I'm big on Jamie Devane, but he needs to learn how to use his imposing physicality to wake up the team when it is needed.

I know he was probably tenative due to the risk of taking a penalty, but that's the type of team we are.

We thrive on emotion, the more hatred between both teams the better we are.

Jamie will need to be noticed more, strike a balance when to agitate, when to back off.

The Bodie fight for instance was not needed at the time. May have helped Avs more than us. But once we fell behind, a good hard energy shift would have been a plus.

These guys are given a golden opportunity and they are wasting it. Devane has to understand his proficiency and his deficiency. He's not a goal scorer, he's brought in to be physical, so be physical.

Our young guys are simply not hungry. He should have gone after Bordeleux and try to earn a job.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ok. The next time a goon goes after Kessel and gives him a beating, you can take pride in the fact that no one jumped the bench to prevent Kessel from getting injured. :shakehead
So you just want everyone to jump the bench and get 10 game suspensions.

I feel like winning hockey games is a little more important that a little "pride".

Ashtons a big kid, he could of wrestled Scott down like he basically did, Kessel's faster than Scott and could skate again. Clarkson did nothing in that scrum, he just talked **** and took 10 games for it. That was a one in a million occurrences, during a PRE SEASON GAME, not worth taking 10 games for it...

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
These guys are given a golden opportunity and they are wasting it. Devane has to understand his proficiency and his deficiency. He's not a goal scorer, he's brought in to be physical, so be physical.

Our young guys are simply not hungry. He should have gone after Bordeleux and try to earn a job.

He's also no just your typical enforcer, the kid has decent hands. He's only 23, he will get the proper instruction from our coaches just how to be effective. The kid has a great attitude and this should be the least of our worries.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Funny Finn beat up a 16 year old kid in junior and I was told he's in the league he's fair game.

Why does the same not apply to Kessel?

Anyway, Kessel was in no danger and by the time Allison got to the scrum it was more or less over.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 21s

Broll, Leivo and Brennan called up, Smith and Devane sent down.

Whoa, play the kids indeed .. At least a lot of our young prospects are starting to get exposure to the big club .. Wonder what the lines will look like tomorrow

JVR - Bozak - Kessel ... (Bozak won't be kicked off this line yet)
Lupul - Bolland - Raymond
Ashton - Kadri - Leivo
Orr - McClement - Broll

If Brennan is up, I wonder if a D will sit .. Ranger?

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Rielly - Franson
Gardiner - Brennan

... We need Fraser back for some toughness on the back end

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would have liked to see MacWilliam up instead of Brennan for some toughness

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Funny Finn beat up a 16 year old kid in junior and I was told he's in the league he's fair game.

Anyway, Kessel was in no danger and by the time Allison got to the scrum it was more or less over.

There's a difference between age, and then a goon going after a star. I laugh at you if you think that is remotely the same.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
:laugh: at the handful of people who said Orr earned a shot with Kadri after they played well together for a stretch last season. Yeah, Kadri played well in spite of Orr last season, there's no need to try anchoring him down like that again.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know the biggest difference, Leafs - non Leafs.

But we can all agree Clarkson did nothing to help the situation ... it's on tape we don't have to debate it.

Doesn't matter if it was Leafs or not. Age doesn't matter. Will David Broll not fight because he's a rookie? nah. It's not a variable. Being a star player or being a 6'8 plug, is a variable in who you fight, should you fight.

Did Clarkson do anything to help? Not really, I agree. Although he was the one on top of Scott when everything separated into seperate fights, and he did get a couple shots in. But was it worth jumping the boards? Probably Not.

However, you can't bash David Clarkson. He said himself he made a mistake, but it was like seeing your little brother getting beat up, you want to do something. Heck. Nazem Kadri wanted to do something.

I believe you were the one (and I very well could be wrong) along with hundreds (literally) of posters who claim Clarkson sucks, so why is he suddenly hurting us by being suspended? Pick a side.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
:laugh: at the handful of people who said Orr earned a shot with Kadri after they played well together for a stretch last season. Yeah, Kadri played well in spite of Orr last season, there's no need to try anchoring him down like that again.

Wouldn't we all like to know what is going on in the mind of Carlyle?

Seriously, I'm not a huge Kadri fan. He's just another Leafs' player who gets a little too much attention, but there seems to be something going on that isn't visible to everyone.

We can only speculate why he isn't getting favorable ice time.

If it isn't what he does during games it is based on something outside of games.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

We were kinda running out of wingers. No sense busting up the top line just yet, and Bolland outplayed Kadri for the 2nd line

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Missing mcclement and kulie in the same game really exposed our weaknesses.

Clarkson would have only added to the problem.

BayStreetBullies*

What do you mean why does the same not apply to Kessel? He did nothing to instigate the fight, Scott made up his mind beforehand and wanted to go after him. So yeah, your claim that he wasn't in any danger is ridiculous.

But I guess you think it's ok for goons like Scott to go around and intentionally trying to injure other players. I bet you cheered on McSorley when he swung his stick at Brashear's head, or when Bertuzzi went all 'Hulk Smash' on Moore because after all, they're in the league so they're fair game. :sarcasm:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The strength of the Blue and White

Winger depth is the strength of our team guys and gals.

When we have:

Kessel
Lupul
Clarkson
JVR
Kulemin
Raymond
Orr
Mclaren

all in our lineup, there are few teams that can match us in terms of skill, grit, and toughness as these 8 guys.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Doesn't matter if it was Leafs or not. Age doesn't matter. Will David Broll not fight because he's a rookie? nah. It's not a variable. Being a star player or being a 6'8 plug, is a variable in who you fight, should you fight.

Did Clarkson do anything to help? Not really, I agree. Although he was the one on top of Scott when everything separated into seperate fights, and he did get a couple shots in. But was it worth jumping the boards? Probably Not.

However, you can't bash David Clarkson. He said himself he made a mistake, but it was like seeing your little brother getting beat up, you want to do something. Heck. Nazem Kadri wanted to do something.

I believe you were the one (and I very well could be wrong) along with hundreds (literally) of posters who claim Clarkson sucks, so why is he suddenly hurting us by being suspended? Pick a side.

I never said he sucked, I've just pointed out he isn't this high scoring, powerforward some are making him out to be. He'll add grit and will drop the gloves, and I've said that will help and that he'll be a complementary player to the skilled forwards.

And saying you made a mistake doesn't absolve you from the mistake!

Losing control is losing control.

Ask a parent about watching their kid play a sport and getting targeted while they are sitting and watching. You think parents don't want to jump out there and help? Teammates are just teammates, but parents feelings trump those feelings by forever.

Kadri didn't do anything though did he? Was he afraid or did he think?

Anyway, we've beaten this one to death, and Clarkson admitted he was wrong, so I'm not sure why anyone should disagree with him?

Clarkson will get his opportunity to make up for it in game 11.
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 Maple Leafs Blue Jackets 7:00 PM LEAFS TV

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What do you mean why does the same not apply to Kessel? He did nothing to instigate the fight, Scott made up his mind beforehand and wanted to go after him. So yeah, your claim that he wasn't in any danger is ridiculous.

But I guess you think it's ok for goons like Scott to go around and intentionally trying to injure other players. I bet you cheered on McSorley when he swung his stick at Brashear's head, or when Bertuzzi went all 'Hulk Smash' on Moore because after all, they're in the league so they're fair game. :sarcasm:

I'm not the one saying the players are fair game, I'm saying that was the justification used supporting Finn's actions.

If it justifies Finn's actions doesn't it justify everyone not named Finn's actions?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I'm not the one saying the players are fair game, I'm saying that was the justification used supporting Finn's actions.

If it justifies Finn's actions doesn't it justify everyone not named Finn's actions?

You might want to watch the video again. The 16 year old jumps into the scrum and grabs someone who is already engaged with someone else so Finn grabbed the kid out and beats the bricks off of him. If you can't see the difference between that and Scott dropping the gloves before the puck is even dropped when Kessel hadn't engaged anything then :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00