Post-Game Talk: We get our first loss...Time to stop the streak.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Gunnarsson was bad again. He looks no different then last year and is apparently healthy this year. I don't get the love this guy gets. Really need an upgrade to play with dion.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Kadri needs to play a lot more. Thirteen minutes on the 4th line is silly.

Rielly is here to stay.

Bozak had some glorious chances. I'll blame it on the haircut.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
The good

Bolland
Rielly
Ashton
Phaneuf
Bernier

The bad

Gunnarsson(stupid penalties)
Kadri(try him with jvr and Phil for a few games?)
Jvr(he's still got another gear)

The ugly

Ranger(I don't even know where to begin)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bozak was up against their best faceoff man all game, Kadri was up against the rookie MacKinnon all game. apples to oranges.

I guess McKinnon gets the bench or 6 minutes a night max on the 4th line. Afterall if he can't beat kadri on faceoffs who has less than 100 games as a center himself.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Phaneuf was great last night. Rielly had his bad moments but overall had a good game. Same for Gardiner.

I thought Lupul had a good game, missed 3 or 4 scoring chances he usually doesn't miss. JVR was a hitting machine. Kadri with Orr for 3/4 of the game was definitely not a good move from Carlyle... idiotic I would say.

Didn't play well enough to win, but we still only lost by a goal. Can't win them all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why the **** is Colton Orr on the ice in the 3rd period in a tie game? So he can turn the puck over for the winning goal? And why did he get another 4 shifts after that when we're down 1? If he's not spending his time in the penalty box he hurts the team...

Carlyle does provide some head scratching moments. He hates when a skilled played turns over the puck like Kadri or Gardiner, but when a tough guy like Orr does it a few times with his ~10 minutes, he gets to keep playing with one our of best centers.

I don't mind a quick line shuffle and get Kadri with Orr for a few shifts to surprise the other team. Heck, it worked for awhile because the line created some good chances... but Carlyle has to switch it back to normal. It was painful to see Orr try to play with Kadri... just painful.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
Game should have gone to OT if it wasn't for Ranger's fail or Bernier not stopping that stoppable goal which should have never gone in

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Would be nice to have Clarkson right now, people thought he wouldn't be missed but Kadri having Clarkson would give us a 3rd scoring option. Kulemin is missed also, all it takes is a couple of injuries to throw off your line balance.

SteveV*

Why the **** is Colton Orr on the ice in the 3rd period in a tie game? So he can turn the puck over for the winning goal? And why did he get another 4 shifts after that when we're down 1? If he's not spending his time in the penalty box he hurts the team...

This happens all the time. Orr has a decent game, people say he's "more than a goon", then the next game he plays more than normal and he STINKS. I was going to say this after last game when everyone was gushing about Orr, but... It's happened EVERY year, don't get fooled by small sample sizes, Colton Orr is what he is and should NEVER get a regular shift in the NHL. Once again, we've learned the hard way, don't fall in love when a guy has two good shifts every two months okie dokie?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I thought Kadri looked great last night, and he played most of the game with Orr so that's a pretty good thing. He wasn't standing still out there, was creating off the rush, and had a good cycle sequence with Ashton.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It wasn't a horrid loss.. The Leafs actually played a better possession game, had fewer turnovers getting it out of their zone, and had less opposing scoring chances than the first three games really ... They just looked lacklustre on offense, didn't have the same drive to match thr Av's forechecking speed, and most of all weren't playing a physical style of play

Seems like they only worked on defensive breakouts and just were lazy heading into the offensive zone assuming they'd get goals as easy as they did the first three games

A 2-1 loss isn't the end of the world, it willa bring them back to earth and hopefully making them work a hard 200 foot game ... Kind of a wake up call.. It's not like they lost 9-2 or something, then I'd be concerned ;)

This exactly. The offence was off. All teams have bad games, it happens.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He hasn't been mentioned yet, but Ashton had his best game as a Leaf last night. Thought he was effective last night.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im not upset at all. That game was more frustrating then anything. We actually had a fair amount of good chances but our luck was just crap. Were missing a ton of our depth, which had an effect too.

Bernier was good, although the first goal was pretty stinky.

i thought Rielly looked significantly better then his first game, and if he plays like that for the next 7 theres 0% chance he goes back to jr.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The good

Bolland
Rielly
Ashton
Phaneuf
Bernier

The bad

Gunnarsson(stupid penalties)
Kadri(try him with jvr and Phil for a few games?)
Jvr(he's still got another gear)

The ugly

Ranger(I don't even know where to begin)

Ranger is just flat our horrible, end of feel good story.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Im not upset at all. That game was more frustrating then anything. We actually had a fair amount of good chances but our luck was just crap. Were missing a ton of our depth, which had an effect too.

Bernier was good, although the first goal was pretty stinky.

i thought Rielly looked significantly better then his first game, and if he plays like that for the next 7 theres 0% chance he goes back to jr.

How can you call a wicked snipe like that stinky?

They skated circles around us.

Missing 4 starters hurt , Kadri looked disinterested till he got put back with his proper line mates. Ranger is an absolute train wreck out there.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
We're gonna lose games along the way, and the Avs clearly wanted it a lot more than us. It wasn't a blow out loss, but hopefully it's an eye opener for some of these guys to get their compete level up. There's no reason why we should have been getting outhit all night. Need to take the body and slow those young legs down. We were missing some key players, but that's really no excuse.

I like what I'm seeing from Rielly out there so far. He's getting more comfortable every game and really making it hard to send him back to junior after his nine games. With Ranger struggling to get his game going I can see Rielly staying up and playing with Fraser with Ranger filling in to break him back in slowly.

Gotta shrug this loss off and get themselves mentally and physically prepared for Nashville on Thursday.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
How can you call a wicked snipe like that stinky?

They skated circles around us.

Missing 4 starters hurt , Kadri looked disinterested till he got put back with his proper line mates. Ranger is an absolute train wreck out there.

It was a very bad angle shot that somehow went over him. Wasnt a good goal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Would be nice to have Clarkson right now, people thought he wouldn't be missed but Kadri having Clarkson would give us a 3rd scoring option. Kulemin is missed also, all it takes is a couple of injuries to throw off your line balance.

Why so he can slowly skate and fall because a strong draft? He ain't to special of a hockey player, same as Bozak and Orr (pardon granted).

This team needs line adjustments. Kadri or Bolland should be with Kessel. Kadri or Bolland should be with Lupul. Bozak should be on the 3rd line and probably with Kulemin and Clarkson.

JVR Ka Ke
Lu Bol Ra
Ku Bo Cl
-- Mc --

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Leqfs weren't going to keep winning games in which they were bad all indefinitely. It finally caught up to them, and it was still one kinda soft goal away from going to OT. Bernier looked really good even with that one getting by him. Sad that all that offense only managed one garbage goal and almost no real scoring chances until the last half of the third period.

The PP we had in the first was embarrassing. The Avs had the puck in our zone for longer than we did in theirs. The PP at the end of the game is what it should look like every time. It may have resulted in a goal if the Avs defender hadnt purposely lifted the net, if I'm not mistaken the puck ended up on JVRs stick with a lot of net to shoot at. Should have been a penalty at least, but you cant blame reffing for a poor 50 minute effort.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I thought we actually played our best overall game defensively. Felt far more comfortable with the defense and it seems we cut down on odd man rushes. The forwards just couldnt get it together, otherwise this is a different story. Props to the Avs no name defense though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad