Post-Game Talk: We could’ve had Debrincat

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Holland gives two year deals to guys like Shore, Turris, koekoek and Smith. And a three year deal to a plug like Foegele and we wonder why we can't build depth.

No other competent GM signs those contracts.

And now we go into the trade deadline looking for a cheap RHD Ethan Bear type defenseman.

Mind blowing

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Frustrating game as everybody else has said. Chicago seems to have our number for whatever reason. You'd think with Chicago playing a "free-wheeling" game, that we would match up well against them, but for whatever reason we just don't, and haven't for a long, long time. Glad for the point, and we come out of the roadtrip with 5 points in 5 games, which is honestly about as good as I was hoping for.

Still right in the mix for the playoffs, and it will likely come down to the wire this year for getting in or not. We need some players returning from injury though, really badly. Barrie going down last night doesn't help, as he had been playing better the past 10 games or so. RNH being out for a month or more really, REALLY, hurts us.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Frustrating game as everybody else has said. Chicago seems to have our number for whatever reason. You'd think with Chicago playing a "free-wheeling" game, that we would match up well against them, but for whatever reason we just don't, and haven't for a long, long time. Glad for the point, and we come out of the roadtrip with 5 points in 5 games, which is honestly about as good as I was hoping for.

Still right in the mix for the playoffs, and it will likely come down to the wire this year for getting in or not. We need some players returning from injury though, really badly. Barrie going down last night doesn't help, as he had been playing better the past 10 games or so. RNH being out for a month or more really, REALLY, hurts us.

Blackhawks work hard and we struggle badly against teams that work hard (regardless of talent level) because we just don’t.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Injuries are totally killing us. Because of it, we have players playing way up higher in the lineup and players like Hyman playing their off-wing.

Id seriously look at calling up Holloway or a right winger to play in our top 6 so other players can move down. Our third and forth lines are brutal right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Holland gives two year deals to guys like Shore, Turris, koekoek and Smith. And a three year deal to a plug like Foegele and we wonder why we can't build depth.

And now we go into the trade deadline looking for a cheap RHD Ethan Bear type defenseman.

Mind blowing
Those first three have little impact to the make up of the team. Have no idea why people keep bringing them up.

Reactions: TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Those first three have little impact to the make up of the team. Have no idea why people keep bringing them up.
Because they could've either been signed to one year deals or just not at all and found someone better. Our bottom six is getting eaten alive at the moment.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not that I am posting that much on this, but I do have some appreciation to some of the posts calling out the constant Tippett bashing and praising of Woodcroft. Never like to see the team lose, and it was time to move on from Tippett, but I disagree that he was the main problem or the removing him would solve the big issues this team has.

In any case, hope things start look better when we get some of the boys back from injury.
I think we can agree he wasn’t part of the solution.

Reactions: LaGu

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
How do you assert that the "Oilers should have won this game" I mean aside from just typing it out.. thats a pretty big stretch as well.

Really we don't know much about what will be revealed the rest of the way in terms of how well the club is playing. The reality is during Woodcroft era is we've had about 7 games with teams that are out of playoffs and 4 against clubs that are in playoff spots

Interestingly in that stretch we have an expected 7W 4L. Pretty much what could be expected given the schedule, which gets tougher from here on in.
On paper Chicago is a team they should beat. This is a game they should have won. If you look ahead in the schedule and see a bad team, you could think to yourself “we should win that game.”

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

Mind blowing
The bolded part is an understatement and is not mentioned nearly enough here. So Jesse is hurt, but the thought of having to slot him in a 1st line, beside Connor, with his cement hands, just crazy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
On paper Chicago is a team they should beat. This is a game they should have won. If you look ahead in the schedule and see a bad team, you could think to yourself “we should win that game.”

I thought you meant on the basis of play that the Oilers deserved to win. It was just how you phrased it, thought that was what you meant. I misinterpreted the comment. Thanks for clarifying.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The bolded part is an understatement and is not mentioned nearly enough here. So Jesse is hurt, but the thought of having to slot him in a 1st line, beside Connor, with his cement hands, just crazy.

Heres the funny thing. Canes fans were telling us at trade time that Foegele was a player that would really frustrate. Would occasionally come up with a move, a nice play but leave you cold and wanting more the vast majority of the time. This is fans in a non traditional hockey market that apparently read Foegele better than Holland did. Its case 12934 in fans somehow discerning a bit more than people running Billion buck clubs at the highest level of hockey in the world. Foegele just goes down as the latest imposter of a player that our GM has thrown money, years, and contract at. We gave up Ethan Bear. Fortunately I don't think he's any great shakes either or this rant would be longer..;)

But pretty clearly it wasn't coaching stopping Foegele from being a player here. He's more useless than he was even before.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Brutal game. Take the point.
McLeod over Yamamoto on the 4 on 3 would've been a better move. That was awfully weak on the PK from Yamamoto, beaten by the same cross ice pass 3 times in 10 seconds.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Heres the funny thing. Canes fans were telling us at trade time that Foegele was a player that would really frustrate. Would occasionally come up with a move, a nice play but leave you cold and wanting more the vast majority of the time. This is fans in a non traditional hockey market that apparently read Foegele better than Holland did. Its case 12934 in fans somehow discerning a bit more than people running Billion buck clubs at the highest level of hockey in the world. Foegele just goes down as the latest imposter of a player that our GM has thrown money, years, and contract at. We gave up Ethan Bear. Fortunately I don't think he's any great shakes either or this rant would be longer..;)

But pretty clearly it wasn't coaching stopping Foegele from being a player here. He's more useless than he was even before.

Agreed, **** Foegele. Beyond useless.

Reactions: Zguy370 and frag2

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

TALKING POINTS: Holland speaks about Oilers coaching changes

But but Ken Holland ... analytics ... but but... "The identity, I guess I would go to the offseason and say to you that we wanted to get more forecheck and more to the blue paint. We went out and signed Zach Hyman, and I made the deal for Warren Foegele. Those were two guys who, analytically, were net-drivers last year in the National Hockey League who were top-five or top-10, so we're trying to get more cycle and spend more time in the o-zone."

This was a bit of hilarity from Holland's press conference following the Tippett firing. It was like he was trying hard to weld on this team's sophistication in talent assessment using some of those fancy stat stuff versus old school 'saw em good' mentality which landed this team players like Turris.

Foegele is as advertised. A guy that is big and skates fast, looks like he should be a top six talent, but is betrayed by poor hands, low pilot light and prone to drift for long periods without a physical element that could excuse the inconsistent hands and finishing ability. He's a decent 3W but completely miscast for any extended time above. Coaching can't coax the inconsistency out of players. Gotta come from within. The extra effort Woodcroft (et all) have talked about have to come from each individual player themselves wanting it more than the opposition they face. Back to my post of Kane's observations of this team noted last night.

Reactions: LaGu

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I thought you meant on the basis of play that the Oilers deserved to win. It was just how you phrased it, thought that was what you meant. I misinterpreted the comment. Thanks for clarifying.
All good man. The team definitely didn’t deserve to win based on their play, I could have worded it better.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
TALKING POINTS: Holland speaks about Oilers coaching changes

But but Ken Holland ... analytics ... but but... "The identity, I guess I would go to the offseason and say to you that we wanted to get more forecheck and more to the blue paint. We went out and signed Zach Hyman, and I made the deal for Warren Foegele. Those were two guys who, analytically, were net-drivers last year in the National Hockey League who were top-five or top-10, so we're trying to get more cycle and spend more time in the o-zone."

This was a bit of hilarity from Holland's press conference following the Tippett firing. It was like he was trying hard to weld on this team's sophistication in talent assessment using some of those fancy stat stuff versus old school 'saw em good' mentality which landed this team players like Turris.

Foegele is as advertised. A guy that is big and skates fast, looks like he should be a top six talent, but is betrayed by poor hands, low pilot light and prone to drift for long periods without a physical element that could excuse the inconsistent hands and finishing ability. He's a decent 3W but completely miscast for any extended time above. Coaching can't coax the inconsistency out of players. Gotta come from within. The extra effort Woodcroft (et all) have talked about have to come from each individual player themselves wanting it more than the opposition they face. Back to my post of Kane's observations of this team noted last night.

Kane has been pretty incredible gift. Has delivered what I expected he would. Perhaps unexpected rather than be any distraction, or being a person that negatively impacts in any way he has come here and been a leader. Both in play, actions, frankness. There he is last night talking to Koskinen after the bad goal. "Don't worry, we'll get it back". (nobody else did) and then Kane actually scores the tying goal. What a nice story. He offered 2 goals of puck support in the game and his Center got the other one. He's being a bull on the ice and all around the net creating chaos. We would be missing Pulju one hell of a lot more were it not for Kane being here.

Aside from that couldn't agree more with your post.

But hey, a year ago I was saying that additions like Danault, as a solid all zone player or Toffoli or Hoffman would be more transformative and add to what the team needs. We still don't have a one shot goal scorer on a team that has McDrai as centers. That is a bizarre oversight. Everynight we're wasting our top centers. Last night we had Stonehands Foegele and Sceviour respectively playing on our top lines.

No joke we had better wingers our first year in NHL as a merger club. Given the entries requirements of that merger, i.e. being able to protect only 2 skaters, its amazing our inagural lineup in NHL was better than what we have assembled now. Just a random thought. The worst players you would see (and they were good) were guys like Ron Chipperfield, Blair Macdonald, and Brett Callighen rounding out our topsix help. We had actual role players, several, on that club as well.

Edmonton Oilers 1979-80 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Went .500 vs the Hawks this year. Not great but they hardly “own” the Oilers like everyone seems to think. People still having PTSD over that play-in series I see…lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad