We complain about the NHL a lot but compared to the NBA .......

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
For a Hall of Fame Basketball player to say this, it holds tremendous weight.

i'm not saying charles is not genuine in his NHL love but tbf he also has been a pretty big hater of GSW, and he's also been highly critical of superteams. so of course he's not going to be jazzed to watch year three of GSW and the cavs, now with +KD and with kevin love not sucking.

which of course is ironic given that the barkley - hakeem - drexler and barkley - hakeem - pippen superteams famously disappointed.

but to also be fair to NBA competitiveness, a top five player in the league, on arguably the second or third best team in the league, did get injured in game one of the conference finals. i think san antonio still loses, but that would probably have been an extremely fun and competitive series to watch. and boston - washington was a fantastic series, period.

It was fun to watch back in the days of Rasheed Wallace and the Pistons.

the wallace brothers era of the pistons and the ron ron/JO/captain jack pacers were unbelievably fun teams to watch. it's been very frustrating to watch memphis, who are the closest thing we have to those teams, crash and burn repeatedly over the seven years.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Barkley has been a huge hater of Golden State. I know it is due in part to their style of play. But there has to be something else there internally. It really is similar to Don Cherry.

This was during the '14-15 season where Golden State won it all:

Even better, Barkley had some type of spat with LeBron where the receding hairline told Barkley to shove it.

So it's not too surprising to see Barkley not exactly be thrilled with the Finals this year :laugh:

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Barkley has been a huge hater of Golden State. I know it is due in part to their style of play. But there has to be something else there internally. It really is similar to Don Cherry.

Even better, Barkley had some type of spat with LeBron where the receding hairline told Barkley to shove it.

So it's not too surprising to see Barkley not exactly be thrilled with the Finals this year :laugh:

Barkley loves to mix it up. He's always feuding with someone :laugh:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I don't like basketball. But why hockey fans on HF can't seem to get over the fact that basketball is much more popular and mainstream and enjoyed by many more people than hockey is something I will never get. Basketball finals are like 4x as highly rated. Don't like? Don't watch.
Agreed. Hockey fans can be as bad as religious zealots who insist everybody start following their religion. Just watch the games, post on message boards, but stop whining about why other people don't watch.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Agreed. Hockey fans can be as bad as religious zealots who insist everybody start following their religion. Just watch the games, post on message boards, but stop whining about why other people don't watch.

Not that I can prove it but I kinda doubt basketball message boards talk about hockey nearly as much as hfboards talks about basketball.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

He hates Lebron James too. Imagine trying to watch the stanley cup finals where you despise both teams. You would not enjoy it either.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
I see the arguments on both sides here - on one hand I like the parity of the NHL because there's an element of surprise. However, in the NBA, I actually like when it's juggernaut vs. juggernaut. That makes basketball more watchable for me.

The NHL struggles with casual fans because it doesn't have the same level of starpower. The closest the league could have come in recent memory is if Ovechkin and Crosby were in different conferences and went head to head in a SCF. There is no Lebron in the NHL. Lebron isn't just an athlete - he's a celebrity. My fiance who knows NOTHING about sports knows who he is. She didn't know any hockey players before I met her.

I don't think the NHL will ever be able to bridge this gap and that's ok. I'll always love hockey regardless of how mainstream it becomes.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Whenever I watch the Warriors... which is not alot, I am astounded at their ability to shoot 3's.

Seriously, it feels like they shoot 90% when I tune in.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Holy crap the farce just gets worse and worse, just when I think the NBA has reached it's lowest point they reveal an even lower septic field. :laugh:

I think the Globetrotters' results are more in doubt than the NBA at this point, what a disgrace.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
An honest question to both sides of the coin here:

Who cares?

Why would you care about what the NBA is doing if you don't care about the NBA?
And why would you NBA fans care about what people who don't care about the NBA think about the league and its players?

There is literally no reason to ascribe inferiority complexes to each other. Just grow up and move on with your life.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
God bless hockey and even Gary Bettman. What's going on in the NBA is just sad, entire season is pointless including the playoffs and Final.

Why should I praise a bad league and an a-hole comissioner if another league is even worse.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Regardless of whether or not you enjoy basketball the NBA puts out a very poor and extremely non competitive product.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The top team in the East (Cavs) went 12-1 to reach the finals, the top team in the west (GSW) went 12-0 and is up 3-0 in the finals. Yet, that goofy looking rat Adam Silver thinks there's no problem with competitiveness in the NBA :laugh:

The only good thing that may come out of basketball this year is you can probably tell everyone 20 years from now that you saw the greatest team to ever be assembled in any North American professional sports league go 16-0

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Regardless of whether or not you enjoy basketball the NBA puts out a very poor and extremely non competitive product.

Exactly. Besides Game 7 of last year's finals, I haven't been interested in the NBA playoffs in a while.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Rah rah rah, the NBA is boring

Game 3 of the Finals was a classic and competitive contest with a dramatic finish but it's so boring, rah rah rah

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The top team in the East (Cavs) went 12-1 to reach the finals, the top team in the west (GSW) went 12-0 and is up 3-0 in the finals. Yet, that goofy looking rat Adam Silver thinks there's no problem with competitiveness in the NBA :laugh:

The only good thing that may come out of basketball this year is you can probably tell everyone 20 years from now that you saw the greatest team to ever be assembled in any North American professional sports league go 16-0

Yet the ratings of this final are up from last years. People want to watch history and players shattering records, its entertaining. Did you even watch game 3? The passing plays were outrageous. It was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters vs the Harlem Globetrotters but the younger team had a slight the edge.

This game was anything but boring. If you want sports as a spectacle than this was definitely it. Only in the NBA can we get this kind of team put together. It would be the equivalent of Lemieux and Gretzky on one team in the 80's. Nobody would complain about that as boring would they?

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Basketball is a different sport, a superstar can play virtually the entire game. This would be like Karlsson and Patrick Kane deciding to join the Penguins on cheap contracts and Ottawa and Chicago getting nothing in return. Joke of a league.

There's actually a better comparison (because KD didn't come for cheap), Marian Hossa when he went to Detroit after losing with the Pens in the 07-08 Cup Finals.

Blame Durant if you don't like the current state of the league lol.

You mean blame Lebron. He's the reason why players are actively looking to form superteams when they hit FA (and beyond that, GMs have been trying to stack the deck with high-powered talents for years. There was the Showtime Lakers, the Sixers with Dr. J and Malone, the Chicago Bulls, the 08 Boston Celtics, the list goes on and on).

How do you explain the increased ratings though?

Last edited:

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Great game tonight, huh boys??? Not a single game in the SC Final has touched Game 3 of the NBA Finals.

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone could complain about last night's game. I was on the edge of my seat near the end, thinking the dubs were not coming back. What a performance by Lebron and the Warriors. And I say this as someone who likes hockey a lot more than I like pro basketball.

If you don't like the NBA, don't watch. If you don't like the NHL, don't watch. I know plenty of ppl who don't watch either and it's not like they have a big hole in their lives bc they don't. Watch what you enjoy, enjoy your time watching, and be glad for others who watch what they enjoy, whether it's hockey, basketball, or something else.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

They might go 16-0 which would be a great record and likely to never even get tied. But I don't think even with that they are the greatest team ever assembled even if they get the record. In just basketball alone the Lakers had 5 hall of fame players on the 82-85 teams.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
They might go 16-0 which would be a great record and likely to never even get tied. But I don't think even with that they are the greatest team ever assembled even if they get the record. In just basketball alone the Lakers had 5 hall of fame players on the 82-85 teams.

Durant, Curry, maybe Clay Thompson the way hes going will all be hall of fame players. The Warriors may not have 5 fall of fame players, but they have about 7 legit allstars that could off on their own go to another team and be a factor.

The Warriors have the most balanced lineup in NBA history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad