We complain about the NHL a lot but compared to the NBA .......

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Basketball is a different sport, a superstar can play virtually the entire game. This would be like Karlsson and Patrick Kane deciding to join the Penguins on cheap contracts and Ottawa and Chicago getting nothing in return. Joke of a league.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Lol. It's funny how many people here will tell you the glory days of the NHL were when the Islanders were winning four straight or the 2002 Red Wings stomped their way through the league, yet would be the first to criticize the NBA for improbably having the formation of the greatest sports TEAM we may ever witness.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I agree and I'll also add that it seems the most fixed league of the big four. Officiating can literally pick the winners.

Having said that, it doesn't matter because they continue to be a bigger deal with bigger stars, better ratings, more successful, etc. I don't get it :shakehead

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
NBA is a huge joke. Prima donna league with no parity,NHL playoffs blow it out of the water.

LeBron gets a leg cramp and needs multiple teammates to help him off, meanwhile Joe Thornton is playing with a torn MCL and ACL in the same leg.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
God bless hockey and even Gary Bettman. What's going on in the NBA is just sad, entire season is pointless including the playoffs and Final.

Exactly.

At least the NHL makes an attempt to fix it's problems, the NBA continues to dish out slop and call it ice cream.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
NBA is a huge joke. Prima donna league with no parity,NHL playoffs blow it out of the water.

LeBron gets a leg cramp and needs multiple teammates to help him off, meanwhile Joe Thornton is playing with a torn MCL and ACL in the same leg.
Have you ever seen the look on LeBron's face when he gets called for a foul. It's like he thinking how dare you call something on me. While a star player in the NHL like Sidney Crosby might argue a penalty called on him, in the NBA it's a lot worse when a star player gets called for any type of foul.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I will say that the Golden State Warriors are extremely fun to watch, even if most of their games are blowout wins. However outside of Golden State and Cleveland the league is a steaming pile of dung.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Having said that, it doesn't matter because they continue to be a bigger deal with bigger stars, better ratings, more successful, etc. I don't get it :shakehead

It's more in tune with other aspects of culture. Music especially.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Yes and he's the guy the fans question on if he has any heart.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It could be worse, the NBA could be pumping out as boring and luck driven of a product as the NHL has throughout the last decade

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't like basketball. But why hockey fans on HF can't seem to get over the fact that basketball is much more popular and mainstream and enjoyed by many more people than hockey is something I will never get. Basketball finals are like 4x as highly rated. Don't like? Don't watch.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hockey fan inferiority complex in full swing once again when it comes to the NBA and Basketball in this thread. We've even got the usual suspects who pretend like hockey players are the only athletes that can deal with and play through serious injuries.

Now I haven't seen any of the Finals yet since I'm on vacation but the NBA, despite its lack of parity, offers a more exciting product than the NHL and it's not even remotely close. I'll take superstars and dominant teams rising to the top of the league over forced artificial parity any day of the week. Watching some of the best players and best assembled rosters in the history of the sport go at it is exciting to me as a sports fan and should entice any sports fan who likes to see the best in their disciplines competing against one another. LeBron, Steph, Kyrie, KD, Klay, Love, Thompson, Green etc. are incredible athletes and while the argument can be made that having the same teams likely to meet in the finals year after year over the course of 3+ years may be boring to some - you'll find just as many people who relish the rivalry.

The reason why the NHL is a fringe league and hockey is a fringe sport (outside of its marketing, demographic and product issues) is because the league artificially creates the illusion of competitiveness and as a result, the product is watered down and shallow. When you have officials carefully managing games and the best players in the sport being obstructed and disadvantaged, it doesn't make for exciting viewing. The product is boring and there's a reason why outside of a niche group of people, the sport is merely an afterthought in most parts of the States. If the NHL is serious about being looked at as a sports league that isn't a fringe novelty, it should be improving the product and allowing its star athletes to flourish.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I don't like basketball. But why hockey fans on HF can't seem to get over the fact that basketball is much more popular and mainstream and enjoyed by many more people than hockey is something I will never get. Basketball finals are like 4x as highly rated. Don't like? Don't watch.

I've never seen another group of sports fans obsess over and try to denigrate another sport like some hockey fans attempt to do with Basketball. It's little more than an inferiority complex IMO... though I think there is a little animosity there as well that could be due to a variety of reasons.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The big thing that bothers me about the NBA right now is the talent pool. There are so many one-and-dones that are simply not ready for the league at 19. Yeah the parity sucks too but it's never been all that great to begin with.

I saw the T-Wolves play this season a couple of times. Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are their two hot-shot guys. There's potential here for sure but both players were committing fundamental mistakes that I feel like should have been left behind after their rookie season. And now with the top 15 picks expected to be college freshmen I feel like this is what we're going to get until something is done about it.

At least in the NHL, usually the top 2-3 guys are NHL ready and everyone else can fine-tune their skills in Juniors or overseas.

Then theres that egotistical blowhard father who only wants his son to work out for the Lakers.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
It's tough for me to care about basketball when I'm not a fan of one of the superteams. Knowing what teams will be in the finals before the season starts kills all interest for me. I haven't watched regularly since the refs handed Brooklyn the series win over the Raptors a few years back. Crooked league, no parity and absurd contracts being given out like candy. No thanks.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Hockey fan inferiority complex in full swing once again when it comes to the NBA and Basketball in this thread. We've even got the usual suspects who pretend like hockey players are the only athletes that can deal with and play through serious injuries.

Now I haven't seen any of the Finals yet since I'm on vacation but the NBA, despite its lack of parity, offers a more exciting product than the NHL and it's not even remotely close. I'll take superstars and dominant teams rising to the top of the league over forced artificial parity any day of the week. Watching some of the best players and best assembled rosters in the history of the sport go at it is exciting to me as a sports fan and should entice any sports fan who likes to see the best in their disciplines competing against one another. LeBron, Steph, Kyrie, KD, Klay, Love, Thompson, Green etc. are incredible athletes and while the argument can be made that having the same teams likely to meet in the finals year after year over the course of 3+ years may be boring to some - you'll find just as many people who relish the rivalry.

The reason why the NHL is a fringe league and hockey is a fringe sport (outside of its marketing, demographic and product issues) is because the league artificially creates the illusion of competitiveness and as a result, the product is watered down and shallow. When you have officials carefully managing games and the best players in the sport being obstructed and disadvantaged, it doesn't make for exciting viewing. The product is boring and there's a reason why outside of a niche group of people, the sport is merely an afterthought in most parts of the States. If the NHL is serious about being looked at as a sports league that isn't a fringe novelty, it should be improving the product and allowing its star athletes to flourish.

I sincerely disagree with everything you say and bid you good day sir.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
the NBA got what they wanted, the rubber match between the Cavs and Warriors in the finals. It's boring to me, but the ratings are sky high so who's to say they're doing it wrong.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
In the NBA, skill matters. In this connected world, if the NHL marketed its stars the way the NBA does, hockey could completely take off in popularity.

The heyday of the NHL was the early 90s when stars like Lemieux, Gretzky, Bure, Selanne, Jagr, Lafontaine, etc. would make your jaw drop on a nightly basis. Sadly, the web did not exist then, so the world couldn't marvel at the highlights within minutes.

These days, there's not even much point in watching. You spend all that time watching a game and a star like Crosby might get a point or two if you're lucky, but mostly it's just a bunch of guys hooking and holding each other for three hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00