Post-Game Talk: We Cane in like a wrecking Staal... Pens-2, Canes-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Good game for Kessel. I actually hope he can get 20 mins playing on the 3rd line and just go into shooting mode... Its his forte.

Im really hoping Matt Cullen has a few more years left in him. Really smart and savy game. Everything you want in a bottom 6 center and isnt out of place in the top 6 for a stint.

Not sure what to think about Sullivan. I like how hes opened the team up but everything is still right to the net.... Not that thats bad but theres a time to do it and a time not to... Forcing every puck on ward and lundvist plays right into their hands.... Make plays and force them to go side to side.

Cam Ward is an absolute stud. Any team needing a goalie should make a pitch for him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wasn't home for the game to chat with you guys, but we talked about it earlier in the day. Someone needed to step up and I really felt Fleury and Kessel did their thing tonight. I was extremely happy that those 2 took off and I feel we needed them to win us a game more than anyone.

By the by - I still think Sid has looked good in these last two games, albeit pointless. He's the focal point of the game.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Again, not a pretty game but that´s how it goes in Carolina almost for everyone lately. They play it tight at home and Malkin is missing us, so there´s no need for too much pessimism because of this one. I will give them a pass for this game, take those two points and move on.

Also, one important note. Pouliot is so much better than Cole. Very smooth with the puck and making all of those smart little plays. I was impressed.

Steel Winning

Philling The Net
Aug 4, 2015
Kunitz needs to be gone, and the consensus opinion is Bones is too slow, correct? If so, what would Kunitz, Bonino, and two 2nds get us on the LW front?

Back to the game, Kessel was impressive tonight, needs to do that consistently though

Fordy

May 28, 2008
happy to hear kessel stepped up tonight. he's only had a few of those so far this season but with some stability he can start putting them together, i hope

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fleury had 2 stinkers and then sat out, but his last 3 starts have been excellent. Good to see him nip that in the bud and not turn a bad stretch into a bad month or months.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Fleury had 2 stinkers and then sat out, but his last 3 starts have been excellent. Good to see him nip that in the bud and not turn a bad stretch into a bad month or months.

I'd say that this one was excellent and the other two were concerning but not disasters. It's still good to see.

Boy that thread title is A+ stuff. :laugh:

Agreed. I was about to come compliment it. :laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The saddest reality of being a Pens fan, and a microcosm of the last 6 years for this organization, is that the single biggest problem on this team (Kunitz) is not only not seen as a problem, he's seen as an invaluable piece of the core. They won't move him, or replace him and demote him. He'll likely sign a retirement deal after this one is up.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
ahl's third and fourth line show that there is no way we can play any of them in play offs, none,
Malkin, Fehr, Bonino, Benett means we have to play 2 of them. Sprong might take one of those spots. Rust is an Nhler, so your last statement is wrong.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The saddest reality of being a Pens fan, and a microcosm of the last 6 years for this organization, is that the single biggest problem on this team (Kunitz) is not only not seen as a problem, he's seen as an invaluable piece of the core. They won't move him, or replace him and demote him. He'll likely sign a retirement deal after this one is up.

It's stuff like this that makes it so difficult to completely go all in with this club. Just when you start to get excited about the team, they remind you that they insist on keeping around useless players.

This organization could assemble an all-star team, the kind of talent that can dominate the league and go 82-0 and 16-0 in the playoffs as long as they just utilize the right players. But then they'd add some useless plug, play him 18 minutes a night on the top line, and completely **** things up.

It's a never ending nightmare with them. First it was Adams. Finally we got rid of him about 4 seasons too late. Then it was Scuderi. Miraculously, Chicago took him off our hands after what seemed an eternity of excruciating moments watching him pretend to play hockey. But then there's Kunitz, who just won't **** off.

I'll say it again. If JR's ONLY moves at the deadline are to finally rid this club of Kunitz, I'll consider it an amazing trade deadline for him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's stuff like this that makes it so difficult to completely go all in with this club. Just when you start to get excited about the team, they remind you that they insist on keeping around useless players.

This organization could assemble an all-star team, the kind of talent that can dominate the league and go 82-0 and 16-0 in the playoffs as long as they just utilize the right players. But then they'd add some useless plug, play him 18 minutes a night on the top line, and completely **** things up.

It's a never ending nightmare with them. First it was Adams. Finally we got rid of him about 4 seasons too late. Then it was Scuderi. Miraculously, Chicago took him off our hands after what seemed an eternity of excruciating moments watching him pretend to play hockey. But then there's Kunitz, who just won't **** off.

I'll say it again. If JR's ONLY moves at the deadline are to finally rid this club of Kunitz, I'll consider it an amazing trade deadline for him.

If JR's sole ****ing legacy is that he let Glass go, let Orpik go, let Adams go, traded Scuderi, didn't beg Dupuis not to retire and traded Kunitz... that's sadly impressive for this team.

JR needs to be moving the lump and calling about every winger that can legitimately be on L1. Hornqvist can be the LW on the line if need be, I don't care and I really don't think it's a huge deal for him to be switched, it's beyond that being a point. Take away Kunitz as an option and get this **** sorted.

rookie skater

Jan 25, 2016
--- ROOT announcer whose name shall not be mentioned who stated at the beginning of 2nd period that with Kunitz & Hornqvist as his wing, Crosby should be able to step up and produce. F*** u! How much harder and for how much longer should he step up for his line? At some point his linemates need to be able to do something and not entirely be dependent on him to do everything

+++ Fleury & Kessel (Great to see that the two of them overcome and learn from their mistakes in the few last games by showing what they really got. This is the good thing of having elite players, they bounce back much faster than non-elite players. More of this kinda play moving forward please)

++ Pouliot & Sundqvist (I like their development trajectory, getting better in each game)

+ Cullen (solid presence), Hagelin (great wheels), Letang (esp. in OT & SO)

= Crosby (good play during OT but he should be more selfish like that in regular time)

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I feel like they have one or two of these crappy games against the Canes every year.

Neither team does anything offensively for 2/3 of the game and it either goes to a shootout or someone scores late off of an opposing defenseman's glove. Bonus points if the Pens score a goal that's ruled inconclusive and doesn't count because it's under Ward's body somewhere even though his entire body is in the net.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It certainly could be way worse if Scuds and Dupuis were still around.
Could you imagine?

Still can't believe JR turned Scuds into Daley.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
yeah, no one is saying it, but Hornqvist blows too. not as much as Kunitz as that would be impossible anyway, but still...

edit: if JR really wants to make a splash he needs to deal Kunitz. I bet he knows it but I don't know if he has the guts to do it.

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Sid is gonna be like this for mqny games. No points, ZERO FAVORS of our coach or gm. I mean why they just dont get someone on his LW who can skate and pass? For Geno, ofcourse they did. For sid, no. What is Joel Q doing if Kane is colf? Mixing lines so long that he scores.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It certainly could be way worse if Scuds and Dupuis were still around.
Could you imagine?

Still can't believe JR turned Scuds into Daley.

you know scuderi will still be playing and still would be praised by pgh establishment and media, that's why this team is doomed, seriously the whole environment, whole atmosphere around is bad

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kunitz is a depreciating player and that is the issue. He simply is not the player he was. So he has to go. I don't think his ego would allow him to move to a third line and his cap hit is just to big for a 16 minute third line winger. No question the Pens have limited options at the TDL. Off season with potential small cap room tough decisions need to be made.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
It's interesting that during the morning skate before this game Letang basically challenged Kessel.
As per the DK site (take that for what it is), Kessel scored an amazing laser shot of a goal on the PP and everyone was whooping it up - except Tanger. Letang told him "Hey, do that in a game" and apparently it wasn't joking around.

Who knows how legit the interpretation of the incident is, but I found that interesting. Given the fact that Kessel played really well last night (and I don't mean the goal only), I wonder if there's something to that story.

Last edited:

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I thought the same thing re the DK story.
But I've been on enough teams where there's "that guy" like Kessel. Long on talent short on effort. Maybe there's one on every team. They get mad once in awhile and bring it but they don't really change their spots. I think that's Phil. Glad he brought it this game.

Oh, and JR went MoneyBall on Scuds. Maybe he can do it w
Kunitz too. We can hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad