We are not as bad; but change must follow.... promptly.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The problem is Dorion rushed the rebuild and tried to end it to fast, instead of just letting pieces falling into place and letting it happen naturally.

Stutzle and Norris is not a 1-2 punch you win a cup with.

Chabot is honestly looking like Reddin 2.0 to me

This team is lacking a franchise player, someone who can carry a team on there back,

The coaching is trash and we have a gm who doesnt know how to do a propper rebuild

Dorion need to be fired, the coach needs to be fired and this team needs a coach who can give them guidance and help them grow into winners, its needa gm who knows the right piece to add to the mix.

We should never have tried to become a play off team the year of one of the deepest drafts ever,

They need to sell Girioux and Debrindacat add more assets and continue to develop a team.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team is put on the block in the same year as they throw a bunch of money at star players.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He ain't gonna be a 40 goal scorer for long.

When we go to trade him he'll be a 25 goal scorer getting paid a 9 spot.
Yeah, I got chastised prior to the trade happening, not knowing where he was going, for saying he was a great player, but his numbers were sure to suffer and the team trading him would be in line for another rough contract at 9+ million based on his Kane-Hawks numbers.

He is, and was a great player. He’s not the only mouth to feed anymore, and his goal totals will reflect that. He’ll still be putting up a similar point total because of the amount of goals the top 6 will produce, just a big shift from goals to assists.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I got chastised prior to the trade happening, not knowing where he was going, for saying he was a great player, but his numbers were sure to suffer and the team trading him would be in line for another rough contract at 9+ million based on his Kane-Hawks numbers.

He is, and was a great player. He’s not the only mouth to feed anymore, and his goal totals will reflect that. He’ll still be putting up a similar point total because of the amount of goals the top 6 will produce, just a big shift from goals to assists.
His sh% is way down, less than half his career average. It's even significantly lower than his prior career low,

Meanwhile, he's shooting more, his iHDSC/60, iSCF/60 and ixGF/60 are all at career highs.

I think he could pretty easily have a couple more goals based on the chances he's had, and if he did nobody is talking about his goal totals. The chances are there, I think he's going to continue to be a 40 goal scorer in this league even if he has a down year and misses this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just for reference, 42 goal scorer Matthew Tkachuck has 5 goals so far this year.
Same with Forsberg who had 42 in 69, Duchene had 43 last year 3 so far this year, Conner has 2 after 47 last year, it happens, guys go on streaks and it all changes in a flash

Reactions: bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The problem is Dorion rushed the rebuild and tried to end it to fast, instead of just letting pieces falling into place and letting it happen naturally.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team is put on the block in the same year as they throw a bunch of money at star players.
Ya, AND they traded for a guy with one year term plus a qualifying offer for $9 m. That's not "long term" thinking and was likely done to boost attendance numbers so the team could be sold at a higher price. Its pure coincidence I'm sure. Didn't Dorion say something to the effect that a contract extension wasn't even discussed during the trade negotiations? Got to hope when (or if?) we trade him we get a return that is equal or better than what we paid. I'm not sure that's "automatic".

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t see Cat getting qualified at 9m. I suspect he’ll either be a deadline deal, or sign a longer term deal at a much more reasonable amount.

There is not much justification for 9 at all.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Stutzle and Norris is not a 1-2 punch you win a cup with.

Chabot is honestly looking like Reddin 2.0 to me

This team is lacking a franchise player, someone who can carry a team on there back,

The coaching is trash and we have a gm who doesnt know how to do a propper rebuild

Dorion need to be fired, the coach needs to be fired and this team needs a coach who can give them guidance and help them grow into winners, its needa gm who knows the right piece to add to the mix.

We should never have tried to become a play off team the year of one of the deepest drafts ever,

They need to sell Girioux and Debrindacat add more assets and continue to develop a team.

I'm not saying tank, but we should be looking to get pieces for the future because the future is not now.
completely disagree

Instead of doing it all in one summer they should have been adding talent throughout the years. Unfortunately Dorion wasted countles dollars on Gudbranson, Stepan, MDZ etc

Some excellent defensemen have been avaliable through the years. Just ask NJD

We are 6 points back of two of the wildcard spots with a game in hand on both and then 67 games to go. Why do people keep saying we are already out of the race?
hahahahah

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It comes down to having a winning experienced coach. A good GM would know this and stop hiring rookie coaches.

A good owner with deep pockets would hire an experienced GM, not a rookie.

Hopefully a new owner with deep pockets will turn this team around. We are this close....

:xcheers:

Reactions: bert and Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It comes down to having a winning experienced coach. A good GM would know this and stop hiring rookie coaches.

A good owner with deep pockets would hire an experienced GM, not a rookie.

Hopefully a new owner with deep pockets will turn this team around. We are this close....

:xcheers:

There's still quite a bit in our structure lacking a bit. It is what allows great teams to win even when many guys have off-nights. We typically when when everyone playing very well.

Guys either have to play balls-to-the-walls every game, or some shifts have to be made by DJ.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
There's still quite a bit in our structure lacking a bit. It is what allows great teams to win even when many guys have off-nights. We typically when when everyone playing very well.

Guys either have to play balls-to-the-walls every game, or some shifts have to be made by DJ.
All great points. Structure brought on by the Coach.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We are 6 points back of two of the wildcard spots with a game in hand on both and then 67 games to go. Why do people keep saying we are already out of the race?

Because some people look at reality…. And so far the Sens have played at a .420P% pace….and to just possibly squeak into the playoffs they would immediately have to play at .640P% pace for the remainder of the season, and hope a number of teams currently ahead of them in the conference start playing at a lower P% pace than they’ve been playing at so far.

Ottawa currently sits at 15th P% in their 16 team conference… and are on pace to end up with 84 points (.420P%)….. with a 12.1% Probability the team makes the playoffs…. That is just the reality of the situation.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
1 player on roster from 2016-2017 season. Total rebuild put into place.
Adding 6 to 8 players each year to the roster is not going to get it done. It creates a revolving door.
The Melnyk Malaise of cutting corners and patchwork fixes created the losing culture and losing environment.
From the 2019-20 roster we have 6 players still on this team. Too much roster turnover. Again adding 6 to 8 patchwork players every season until this season over the last several years has brought us to this point.

When you add that many new players every single season chemistry is not developed until late in the year. That is why the slow starts occur. They usually start playing better in February, March and early April. Training camps do not develop chemistry, playing games together as a team unit develops chemistry.
They need two good sized dmen that can play. They have not addressed this need for many years now. This team would get crushed in the playoffs with our slight built dmen. We need a top 4 dman and one bottom 5 or 6 player that can play a steady game.

This season again 6 to 8 new roster players were added to the roster. Talbot, Brassard, Motte, DeBrincat, Giroux, Sanderson, ( Joseph and Kastelic only played less than 16 games with the team at the end of last season) so you could argue they are pretty new to the lineup. This all takes time to develop chemistry and adjustment time to their new team. Good teams add 1 to 3 players each year, good teams tinker with their rosters, they don't add 6 to 8 players year after year.
This season 6 games have been lost by one goal and about 5 more by 1 goal, if you take away the empty net goals that were scored on us.
No Norris ( 30 goals if he misses the season) is a huge absence. Also he scored 8 gwg last year.
No Zub this year arguably our best defensive defenseman is a huge loss. By game 40 he will have played only about 15 games for us this year.
DeBrincat one of my favourite players has only 6 goals ( 2 of those were empty netters). He is on pace to score 20 goals. We need him to be a 30 to 40 goal scorer. There are people who want to replace him, but you will still have to pay $8 million plus to find a replacement that scores 30 to 40 goals and I don't know if there will be one available.

On the players...yes this is on the players! Don't take stupid penalties!
Come out ready to play. That comes from being a self starter and the players have to take it upon themselves to be self starters. Brady took it upon himself in that Ranger game a week ago. We need more efforts like that from a few more players. If you are a pro hockey player you have to have it inside yourself to be a true self starter. Also don't make stupid giveaways that give the opposing team grade A scoring chances.
I think we will end up with around 80 to 85 points this season, and without key players due to injury, not addressing roster needs at the key position of defense in the offseason and the parity in the league ( any team can win on any given night) it is probably realistically where we should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Because some people look at reality…. And so far the Sens have played at a .420P% pace….and to just possibly squeak into the playoffs they would immediately have to play at .640P% pace for the remainder of the season, and hope a number of teams currently ahead of them in the conference start playing at a lower P% pace than they’ve been playing at so far.

Ottawa currently sits at 15th P% in their 16 team conference… and are on pace to end up with 84 points (.420P%)….. with a 12.1% Probability the team makes the playoffs…. That is just the reality of the situation.

You quoted my comment from mid-Nov when the sample size was much smaller and our underlying numbers suggested we should be in a better spot, but thanks for mansplaining math

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad