We are not as bad; but change must follow.... promptly.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There was a graphic that was shown by TSN before our last game against NJD that demonstrated we should have a far better record than we do.

We were 5th in goals expected and top 10 in a lot of other major categories that demonstrate playoff ranking competitiveness. Yet our record is among the worst in the league.

The issue seems to be luck (I know many don't like this term but it's been evident), slightly personnel, and, most importantly, structure.

The fact that our record should be better than it is, is a good sign that this season is still very much salvageable. We could still go on a very respectable "tear" and still flirt with playoff aspirations. But one thing is clear, we need early intervention. We need support on defense, which Dorion failed to address in the off-season, and we need a coaching change. The lack of structure has led to a domino affect that can be associated with many other struggles we have denoted (DeBrincat, PP, defensive usage, personnel usage, etc.)

There is no way this team should be outshot by 50 in a span of 2 games. Just no way. For most of the game against NJD, we were outshot by double. Pinto was our best player and saw zero PP time in overtime for a hattrick opportunity.

Lack of structure will derail this team, derail the confidence of players, and derail a pivotal development season where we should see clear progression(not just individually but in the standings as well). Perhaps we might not get the right guy we need now, but an interm, at the very least, is necessary.

And an addition on defense also is necessary.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We could definitely use a boost to our D corps but getting Zub back along with Chabot getting his head out of his ass would really be the equivalent of adding an entire top pair to the team.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Seems like adding a top 4 RD would have been a better move (priority) in the off season. All it took is an injury to Zub to create a vulnerability.

Its going to be a challenge having to find two (2) RDs if Zub does not resign with us. I also have to wonder if Debrincat will be staying. There's at least a couple of holes to address this coming offseason assuming we only need one RD. There's still some roster work to be done imho.

As we have seen, the Eastern Conference is pretty competitive. Some of the teams that have been bottom feeders over the last several years are improving as well. The Rangers and Toronto are just currently in 7th and 8th seeds in the Eastern Conference, while Tampa is sitting outside of playoff slot just to give some perspective.

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ottawa losses because they don’t have the details of winning in their game. It’s that simple.

The margin of winning and losing is extremely small, that’s why TB traded Joseph for Paul because even a small increment of improvement on the 3rd line can make a major difference.

Ottawa has about 80% of the equation right, but they can’t play defence and they are disorganized - expected goals for is like thinking a player will have a good season because of his awesome pre-season bench press test - winning isn’t sexy, it’s a dirty job and Ottawa isn’t good at it.

If the Sens were a car they would drive fast and have a great stereo, but couldn’t parallel park or drive in the snow and the car would suck because of a few small details that holds it back from being awesome

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seems like adding a top 4 RD would have been a better move (priority) in the off season. All it took is an injury to Zub to create a vulnerability.

Its going to be a challenge having to find two (2) RDs if Zub does not resign with us. I also have to wonder if Debrincat will be staying. There's at least a couple of holes to address this coming offseason assuming we only need one RD. There's still some roster work to be done imho.

As we have seen, the Eastern Conference is pretty competitive. Some of the teams that have been bottom feeders over the last several years are improving as well. The Rangers and Toronto are just currently in 7th and 8th seeds in the Eastern Conference, while Tampa is sitting outside of playoff slot just to give some perspective.
We lost Norris too, I honestly think his loss has been as big of an issue as Zub's, perhaps bigger and that's inspite of our depth at center being better than at RD.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
They've had one of the toughest schedules in the league and every game lost has been by one goal when you remove the empty netters. Granted that's somewhat deceptive as they were seriously outplayed in some of those games, but it's not like a losing streak where you're getting trounced regularly. Calgary is a team that a lot were picking as a legit Cup contender and they've had a tough start due to a tricky slate as well.

They will hit a hot streak and some of the teams above them will cool. But as always, when something like this happens at the start of a season, it's more pronounced.

What was distressing to me is the Vancouver loss. Finally get a team at the lower end of the standings at home where you can get a win and get positive energy back and they didn't get the job done. Not panicking right now, but that moment will come soon.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We lost Norris too, I honestly think his loss has been as big of an issue as Zub's, perhaps bigger and that's inspite of our depth at center being better than at RD.
True. I wouldn't argue with the point that the Norris injury has hurt us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Definitely a big loss. Hard to measure which hurts more. Should get Zub back soon hopefully we get some wins.
I almost feel like losing Norris hurts more psychologically since we know he's out long term. That puts a lot of pressure on our very young center depth.

On the flip side, with Zub, guys can tell themselves they just need to make it a couple weeks obviously that hasn't worked out well...

Reactions: NB613

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I almost feel like losing Norris hurts more psychologically since we know he's out long term. That puts a lot of pressure on our very young center depth.

On the flip side, with Zub, guys can tell themselves they just need to make it a couple weeks obviously that hasn't worked out well...
We also have a little more fallback and depth at center though with Pinto (& to a lesser extent Brassard). I get what you are saying though & you are right that we've only lost Zub for weeks versus months. It sucks losing both of them. I hope Norris's rehab works and is long term.

I will reiterate the point about hoping we can sign Zub and not wanting to have to find 2 RDs this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think we need to be patient. We're young so we're gonna be streaky. If we follow this up with a big winning streak, were right back over 500 and not needing to freak out.

If this team can continue its trends of how they finish the season, just going into the new year at 500 means we can make the playoffs.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Top half of the league or top 10 in the major advanced stats. Our record doesn't reflect our play to date.

And some teams above us have advanced stats that don't support their records

Losing Norris really hurt. The PP has not adjusted to shooting from the left circle

Reactions: NB613

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
They've had one of the toughest schedules in the league and every game lost has been by one goal when you remove the empty netters. Granted that's somewhat deceptive as they were seriously outplayed in some of those games, but it's not like a losing streak where you're getting trounced regularly. Calgary is a team that a lot were picking as a legit Cup contender and they've had a tough start due to a tricky slate as well.

They will hit a hot streak and some of the teams above them will cool. But as always, when something like this happens at the start of a season, it's more pronounced.

What was distressing to me is the Vancouver loss. Finally get a team at the lower end of the standings at home where you can get a win and get positive energy back and they didn't get the job done. Not panicking right now, but that moment will come soon.

Just wondering what's been particularly tough about our schedule? This is the first year in as long as I can remember we don't have a tonne of back-to-backs interspersed with stupidly long breaks. At least in that sense our schedule has been a lot kinder

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just wondering what's been particularly tough about our schedule? This is the first year in as long as I can remember we don't have a tonne of back-to-backs interspersed with stupidly long breaks. At least in that sense our schedule has been a lot kinder
First 10 games opponents had an average of ~100 pts last season, the next ten is in the 70s if I recall. So the schedule arguably started very tough, but is in the process of evening out right now.

That doesn't account for teams being better or worse than last year though, so for example games against NJD would be considereded a week team while the capitals would be a strong team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Team needs a new GM that will pick a new coach. That will identify who the good players are and retain them while adding to the core. Current GM has let too many good players unnecessarily leave as they play great hockey right in front of him. Paul, C. Brown, Demelo, Duclair etc. Plain as day these were contributing players.

Sens need a new vision that is well respected in the hockey world that comes with an experienced and winning pedigree. Enough bargain bin GM'S and coach's.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Team needs a new GM that will pick a new coach. That will identify who the good players are and retain them while adding to the core. Current GM has let too many good players unnecessarily leave as they play great hockey right in front of him. Paul, C. Brown, Demelo, Duclair etc. Plain as day these were contributing players.

Sens need a new vision that is well respected in the hockey world that comes with an experienced and winning pedigree. Enough bargain bin GM'S and coach's.

Without agreeing or disagreeing, I don't think it likely that the GM will be replaced before some kind of closure is come to on the ownership front

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Without agreeing or disagreeing, I don't think it likely that the GM will be replaced before some kind of closure is come to on the ownership front
Thats what I am hinting at. Nothing should be done until ownership if firmed up and they can start with their vision. No new coach worthwhile is going to want to come in here until that if finalized. No point in replacing a GM until the ownership is completed. The team is stuck with these guys for now whether we like it or not. Hopefully they dont do too much damage to the current group in the meantime.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Thats what I am hinting at. Nothing should be done until ownership if firmed up and they can start with their vision. No new coach worthwhile is going to want to come in here until that if finalized. No point in replacing a GM until the ownership is completed. The team is stuck with these guys for now whether we like it or not. Hopefully they dont do too much damage to the current group in the meantime.

OK, yeah, same page, and I think that's been clear since Melnyk passed, but I would say at this point there can be little doubt that the status quo is inflicting damage, and we may have no choice other than intervening ahead of schedule. If we get a good coach now, there is no reason they couldn't stay and guide the team through that transition and beyond.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
OK, yeah, same page, and I think that's been clear since Melnyk passed, but I would say at this point there can be little doubt that the status quo is inflicting damage, and we may have no choice other than intervening ahead of schedule. If we get a good coach now, there is no reason they couldn't stay and guide the team through that transition and beyond.
Look at Vancouver theyre in a messy situation because the coach wasnt picked by the GM. I dont think thats the right call unless Mann comes up because you know he is good at development. Were out of it anyway at this point. They are too far back to make the playoffs this year.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Look at Vancouver theyre in a messy situation because the coach wasnt picked by the GM. I dont think thats the right call unless Mann comes up because you know he is good at development. Were out of it anyway at this point. They are too far back to make the playoffs this year.

Obviously it doesn't look great, but an interesting stat in that Athletic article about Alfie was that we were 7-11-1 to start the season the year we went to the finals. Obviously situations like that are outliers, I am aware. Still, it's too early in the season to have our players start giving up, that's my main concern. To be corny about it, when there's an illness, putting off seeing a doctor will only make things worse

Reactions: coladin

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Obviously it doesn't look great, but an interesting stat in that Athletic article about Alfie was that we were 7-11-1 to start the season the year we went to the finals. Obviously situations like that are outliers, I am aware. Still, it's too early in the season to have our players start giving up, that's my main concern. To be corny about it, when there's an illness, putting off seeing a doctor will only make things worse
Yeah I mean thats also a way better team than this one. They won (or were close to winning) the presidents trophy the year before and had been a contender for the last 6 years. Kinda the opposite of this situation. I guess my point is I dont think two new coachs in a short period of time is good and thats likely what will happen if DJ is replaced before new ownership/management.

I get what you are saying but I dont think there is a lack of effort right now. Just a lack of tactical implication and buy in. Hard to get guys to buy in when you are always losing and its the same message so I understand why you would want them to hear a new voice.

Much like Stutzle getting moved to center last year due to injuries these current injuries may force this unwilling coaching staff to play players up in the lineup to see what they're made of. So im trying to look at this in a positive lite. Id like to see Thomson up.

Reactions: Cosmix and maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad