Speculation: We are looking a little like Colorado this season.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Duchene>>Turris
Landeskog=Ryan
MacKinnon>Zibanejad
OReilly>MacArthur
Stastny>>>Legwand

Our bottom 6 is better though if MacLean plays those who deserve it.

Our defense COULD be far more superior to close the gap between the top 6 difference but that would mean Ceci and Cowen playing like number 2 defenders while Methot plays excellent alongside Karlsson.

Like someone said above, their forwards way better but I could see similar type impact on the NHL if our defense improves to what we expect it to be and if our bottom 6 really steps up to accommodate out top 6.

Of course that would mean Greening and Neil/Condra gone.

They no longer have Stasny... But yeah Iginla>>Legwand

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
This team will definitely finish top three in the conference this year. They might need a d-man, however.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It will be interesting to see how Iginla does this year. Imo, he looked finished in Calgary, and really found some chemistry in Boston.

His biggest issues were nicely insulated by Boston's strong defensive system, IDK if he can thrive in a run and gun offence though. I would certainly have stayed away from him for the Sens.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Their offense is definitely explosive but we have at least 4-5 guys that are pretty much locks for 20 goals, which isn't too bad...

Karlsson, Ryan, MacArthur, Zibanejad, Turris, Chiasson/Stone/Michalek.

The Sens had 5 20 goal scorers last year and how did that go?

Other things to consider, the Turris line will face the top D every game, Zibby will also face tougher opposition, and Spezza, while a defensive liability, was a key PP contributor that won't easily be replaced.

While overall this forward group looks to be an improvement with lots of potential, how good they will be is still a huge question mark IMO.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Other things to consider, the Turris line will face the top D every game, Zibby will also face tougher opposition, and Spezza, while a defensive liability, was a key PP contributor that won't easily be replaced.

While overall this forward group looks to be an improvement with lots of potential, how good they will be is still a huge question mark IMO.

That's exactly it. Now the defense will have improved as well.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Not sure that is a fair comparison, Legwand isn't expected to be a top six offensive center, where Iggy is definitely expected to fit in the top six in Colorado.

Iggy must be a point producer - Legwand must be a shut down guy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Offense wasn't the problem though, so I'd say it went well. We were 11th in the league in goals, about 16 goals back from Colorado despite all their superior firepower. While Spezza is a mainstay on our PP, and his 22 PP points will be missed, we did bring in Legwand who is a good PP player (16 pts) and Chiasson who is good in front of the net. I also think our improved depth this year will help out the second unit, and hopefully keep Neil and Phillips off the PP.

Our problem was goals against, which was partially goaltending, and partially team defense. The former will likely improve just by regression back towards career norms, and the latter will improve because we won't have a recovering from back surgery Spezza in the lineup and recent divorcé, Karlsson rehabbing his achilles.

With regards to Turris facing the top line every night; his QOC numbers were actually higher this year than the year Spezza missed when he was our top center. Part of that is because when he was our sole offensive threat, the coach was forced to deploy him in more favourable offensive opportunities to try and bolster scoring. This coming season, we have Smith and Legwand who will likely draw the defensive starts, and Zibanejad and Turris who will get the offensive starts. I doubt the difference in QOC will be much for Turris this year for that reason. It's also worth mentioning there is seldom a huge difference, as on home ice, you get the matchups you want, and on the road, the opposition does, so it evens out.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010

You are acting like our PP was actually respectable last year - it wasn't. Guys in Dallas forum have already started to make the stupid argument that Spezza needs to be flanked by two star wingers, other wise his genius is lost. LOL. This team will be just fine.

source

Jul 13, 2008
We are more like the Phoenix Coyotes than the Colorado Avalanche.

Both are budget teams with limited potential. Both have a star defenceman locked up long term (and hey, they are both Swedish fwiw). Both have limited star power on offence.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Im really curious to see how the powerplay does this year. I''d be surprised if it didn't struggle in a big way.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I seriously see no similarities.

Both are budget teams with limited potential. Both have a star defenceman locked up long term (and hey, they are both Swedish fwiw). Both have limited star power on offence.

This

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Im really curious to see how the powerplay does this year. I''d be surprised if it didn't struggle in a big way.

In the lockout year without Spezza and Karlsson for most of the year, it operated at about 16%. If we do that, and get the same number of opportunities as this past season, we'll score about 7 less PP goals. Not sure that's enough to be a great concern, particularly as we should be able to put up better numbers with Karlsson in the lineup.

I'd guess our PP will be pretty average, unless the coaching staff comes up with some better set plays. I never liked out one timer from a bad angle that we did so often the last few years.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Ottawa has much more star power and depth. They don't have a forward like Ryan. Nor do they have an offensive threat like Karlsson. Turris-Zibanejad-Legwand should be much more offensive and lethal than Hanzal-Vermette-Gagne

Although I do see many similarities. We are also deeper than Phoenix. All they really have on us is Oel and Yandle while we only have Karlsson. Ceci should change that soon.

We were like Arizona in 2012-2013.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
The addition of Chaisson and maybe Stone would theoretically give us better options around the net to try and take advantage of. Theoretically anyway. Should be an upgrade on Neil at least, though that's not saying much. If Bobby can keep getting down in the dirty areas like he did in the Leafs game we could see some added production there as well. See how it goes. We're not bereft of potential PP producers though.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Ottawa has much more star power and depth. They don't have a forward like Ryan. Nor do they have an offensive threat like Karlsson. Turris-Zibanejad-Legwand should be much more offensive and lethal than Hanzal-Vermette-Gagne

Although I do see many similarities. We are also deeper than Phoenix. All they really have on us is Oel and Yandle while we only have Karlsson. Ceci should change that soon.

We were like Arizona in 2012-2013.

I think you're splitting hairs. Look at our major UFA signings the last few years: Kuba (3.7mil), Anderson (3.2mil), Latendresse (2mil), MacArthur (3.25mil). These are the types of UFA deals Phoenix has been relying on for years.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You are acting like our PP was actually respectable last year - it wasn't. Guys in Dallas forum have already started to make the stupid argument that Spezza needs to be flanked by two star wingers, other wise his genius is lost. LOL. This team will be just fine.

Not acting or suggesting anything, how you read that into what I wrote is amazing.:amazed:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Offense wasn't the problem though, so I'd say it went well. We were 11th in the league in goals, about 16 goals back from Colorado despite all their superior firepower. While Spezza is a mainstay on our PP, and his 22 PP points will be missed, we did bring in Legwand who is a good PP player (16 pts) and Chiasson who is good in front of the net. I also think our improved depth this year will help out the second unit, and hopefully keep Neil and Phillips off the PP.

Our problem was goals against, which was partially goaltending, and partially team defense. The former will likely improve just by regression back towards career norms, and the latter will improve because we won't have a recovering from back surgery Spezza in the lineup and recent divorcé, Karlsson rehabbing his achilles.

With regards to Turris facing the top line every night; his QOC numbers were actually higher this year than the year Spezza missed when he was our top center. Part of that is because when he was our sole offensive threat, the coach was forced to deploy him in more favourable offensive opportunities to try and bolster scoring. This coming season, we have Smith and Legwand who will likely draw the defensive starts, and Zibanejad and Turris who will get the offensive starts. I doubt the difference in QOC will be much for Turris this year for that reason. It's also worth mentioning there is seldom a huge difference, as on home ice, you get the matchups you want, and on the road, the opposition does, so it evens out.

I wasn't making a statement about the effectiveness of the offense or PP of last year.

The point of the post was 4/5 20 goal scorers don't assure success and added to that are questions that won't be answered until the season starts.

I am not one to undervalue Spezza's offensive talent and I can assure you Legwand isn't in his class, so assuming Legwand will replace 70% of Spezza's contribution is a huge stretch IMO.

Spezza and EK had great chemistry, so before pronouncing Legwand as the answer I respectfully suggest holding off until we see who the QB of the PP looks to post Spezza.

In terms of your response to Turris, you might be right, but it is extremely hard to play the number one line 20 minutes a night and avoid the top Dmen who are playing 25-30.

If you meant 90% team defense and 10% goaltending then I agree.

However to fix the team defense there will have to be less risk in the Sens offensive game which also could translate into fewer scoring opportunities.

IMO if team defense improves into the 2.5 GA/G territory (54 - 55 < GA), any lost offense will have little impact and the team will be in the playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wasn't making a statement about the effectiveness of the offense or PP of last year.

The point of the post was 4/5 20 goal scorers don't assure success and added to that are questions that won't be answered until the season starts.

I agree that 4/5 20 goal scorers don't assure success, but there are many people questioning where we will find offense. If we have 4-5 sure thing 20 goal scorers, I don't think offense will be an issue.

I am not one to undervalue Spezza's offensive talent and I can assure you Legwand isn't in his class, so assuming Legwand will replace 70% of Spezza's contribution is a huge stretch IMO.

Spezza's offense will certainly have to be replaced by committee, nobody will dispute that. All that said, I think we do have a much deeper team, and a PP with a lot more options. We have skill guys (Ryan, Turris, Karlsson, Wiercioch) as well as guys who will keep it simple (Chiasson, Michalek, Stone, MacArthur). You don't need a guy like Spezza to have an effective PP, and imo, he could sometimes be a hinderance (the team expected him to take care of it and was very passive on the PP). Our PP on home ice was particularly bad, and I can only assume that's the players not keeping it simple and going to the net.

Spezza and EK had great chemistry, so before pronouncing Legwand as the answer I respectfully suggest holding off until we see who the QB of the PP looks to post Spezza.
Not sure I ever pronounced Legwand the answer; he's obviously going to be a contributor, but the answer imo will be improved depth on the PP, specifically having 2 strong PP units. Replacing guys like Conacher and Neil on the PP with Stone, and Chiasson should pay dividends.

In terms of your response to Turris, you might be right, but it is extremely hard to play the number one line 20 minutes a night and avoid the top Dmen who are playing 25-30.

If you meant 90% team defense and 10% goaltending then I agree.
This one is a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario. The goaltending had some awful stretches where it looked like they lost confidence; Team D played a role in that, but there were times where Anderson looked small in net, and that's not on the team D.

However to fix the team defense there will have to be less risk in the Sens offensive game which also could translate into fewer scoring opportunities.
The team was allowing 75% more goals against per 20 mins when Spezza was on the ice than when he wasn't. I can live with a bit less offense if it means tightening up those mins. We actually had a positive goal diff at ES when Spezza wasn't on the ice. He'll be missed, but last seasons version won't (well maybe late last season's version will, but as a whole he was a negative impact)

IMO if team defense improves into the 2.5 GA/G territory (54 - 55 < GA), any lost offense will have little impact and the team will be in the playoffs.

I think team defense improving is a given; we can't be as bad as last season even if we hadn't changed anything. With Legwand in over Spezza, and Karlsson not rehabbing an injury while distracted by a divorce it should be even better. That might not be enough to get us down to 2.5 ga/g, but to be honest, I think 2.5gaa/G would almost guarantee a playoff spot, only team to miss with under 2.6 GAA/G was NJ, and they were the 4th worst offensive team in the league.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
How much of a regression will they take though? I agree that they may regress, but i don't think they will regress to the point of missing the playoffs.

Yeah, they're still a playoff team, IMO.

I'm not saying they're going to regress to like 13th in the conference or anything, but Chicago & St Louis will be the 1-2 teams in the Central, and Colorado will get the #6 playoff spot or so.

~8-12 point regression in the standings. A lot of what they did last season was unsustainable, IMO.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The explosiveness of their offence is a game changer. Our offence will struggle to pile up goals in the way that they have. Major difference IMO.

MacLean said our problem was not offense last season, it was defense, as in team defense and also our defensive units playing better. Despite not having Spezza, we are defense by committee and offense by committee. Lehner is going to take a big step this season and really push Anderson... the competition will be good.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
In the lockout year without Spezza and Karlsson for most of the year, it operated at about 16%. If we do that, and get the same number of opportunities as this past season, we'll score about 7 less PP goals. Not sure that's enough to be a great concern, particularly as we should be able to put up better numbers with Karlsson in the lineup.

I'd guess our PP will be pretty average, unless the coaching staff comes up with some better set plays. I never liked out one timer from a bad angle that we did so often the last few years.

Spezza killed our PP a lot. People make him out to be some sort of offensive god. But he made poor decisions, and created more risky plays then Karlsson ever has on this team. If we simplify our PP it will do better than it did last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad