Speculation: We are looking a little like Colorado this season.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The reason I believe we will make the playoffs is because I think our team looks a lot like Colorado's team with regards to players in similar roles, similar age ranges etc. While it is well known, I believe Karlsson being at full health is going to make a huge difference for our team at both ends of the ice. Cowen is going to make strides and a few of our other sophomores and rookies will show good signs.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Colorado will be much better than we will be this season. They'll make the playoffs, while I think we will miss them. We just don't have the firepower they have.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think people are discounting Zibanejad and Lazar. Even if they send Lazar down I can see him making a return for the playoff push near the end of the season and Puempel could really create some secondary offense. We have the fire power, our d will be better, as will our goalies. Evidence is in how we played Toronto. We stifled them. The teams style is more like it was two seasons ago, which will benefit all of our roll players.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Young teams that have a breakout year usually regress in the 2nd year before really taking that next step forward in the 3rd.

How much of a regression will they take though? I agree that they may regress, but i don't think they will regress to the point of missing the playoffs.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
The explosiveness of their offence is a game changer. Our offence will struggle to pile up goals in the way that they have. Major difference IMO.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Watch them dominate the central buddy. ;)

Maybe, but I don't see it. They rode goaltending to allow them to take bigger risks offensively. If Valry falters, they could fall into disarray fast imo.

Varly is good, but not too many goalies have .927 sv% multiple years in a row.

edit: Also, I don't see Ottawa being anything like Colorado last year. I do think we're better than we've been given credit for, but don't expect us to pull a Colorado.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
The reason I believe we will make the playoffs is because I think our team looks a lot like Colorado's team with regards to players in similar roles, similar age ranges etc. While it is well known, I believe Karlsson being at full health is going to make a huge difference for our team at both ends of the ice. Cowen is going to make strides and a few of our other sophomores and rookies will show good signs.

El Predicto

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The explosiveness of their offence is a game changer. Our offence will struggle to pile up goals in the way that they have. Major difference IMO.

Their offense is definitely explosive but we have at least 4-5 guys that are pretty much locks for 20 goals, which isn't too bad...

Karlsson, Ryan, MacArthur, Zibanejad, Turris, Chiasson/Stone/Michalek.

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011
Colorado will be much better than we will be this season. They'll make the playoffs, while I think we will miss them. We just don't have the firepower they have.

Well seeing how the got beat by Mtl B team yesterday, i wouldn't go as far. Their defensive corps might be an issue.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
And a Landeskog... And a Duchene... And a Varlamov/Giguere

They were awful for a while, and they ended up with the rewards of having high draft picks. We had a lot of middle-ish picks lately, so we imported some talent like Ryan (2nd overall) and Turris (3rd overall).

Their forward core is younger, our top line is more experienced. Both teams have too many 5/6 D masquerading as top 4, but they have no Karlsson to help float them through.

Varlamov just had a season that reminds me of the one that Anderson and Lehner had 2 years ago. Lets see if he bottoms out this year in the same way our goalies did last year. Without all world goaltending Colorado is just another Edmonton.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Colorado's forwards are just so much better than ours...

Yet I totally do see similarities. And I believe this group could get to the same point (in somewhat different manner).

We'll never have the same top end forwards. Mack is a beast and add in Duchene, Lando, RoR, and thats a lot of good top end guys. But if we end up with good players in Zibby, Stone, Chaisson, Lazar, and or Puemple/Pageau should one of them falter, we could have a super deep group of forwards that I wouldnt be ashamed of in the slightest.

And we also have Karlsson. Who as we all know, does a pretty swell job at getting pucks to the forwards. Colorado does not have anything close to a Karlsson on the backend.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As much as it sucks to say, Colorado has an all star front office with guys like Sakic and Roy: that was injection of confidence, winning pedigree and balls of steel that instantly paid off. We shall see how the Avanlache follow up their surprising season, maybe they regress like we did last season?

I'd say Colorado's ceiling is much higher than ours though: if things go well they could go deep. It would probably take everything, and I mean everything, to go right for the Senators to reach the third round.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Duchene>>Turris
Landeskog=Ryan
MacKinnon>Zibanejad
OReilly>MacArthur
Stastny>>>Legwand

Our bottom 6 is better though if MacLean plays those who deserve it.

Our defense COULD be far more superior to close the gap between the top 6 difference but that would mean Ceci and Cowen playing like number 2 defenders while Methot plays excellent alongside Karlsson.

Like someone said above, their forwards way better but I could see similar type impact on the NHL if our defense improves to what we expect it to be and if our bottom 6 really steps up to accommodate out top 6.

Of course that would mean Greening and Neil/Condra gone.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Duchene>>Turris
Landeskog=Ryan
MacKinnon>Zibanejad
OReilly>MacArthur
Stastny>>>Legwand

Our bottom 6 is better though if MacLean plays those who deserve it.

Our defense COULD be far more superior to close the gap between the top 6 difference but that would mean Ceci and Cowen playing like number 2 defenders while Methot plays excellent alongside Karlsson.

Like someone said above, their forwards way better but I could see similar type impact on the NHL if our defense improves to what we expect it to be and if our bottom 6 really steps up to accommodate out top 6.

Of course that would mean Greening and Neil/Condra gone.

I would compare O'Rielly with Zibby instead.

Stastny bolted from the Avs, which makes him equal to Alfie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad