News Article: We are gonna be significant. - Derek Lalonde

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Okay, time for the loser attitude is now over.

Let's look forward, with positive eyes and it's time start to bring that winner mentality back.

"I love what we did this past offseason. We've improved; there's no doubt about it. We're going to be significant. That's all I ask. That's all I want...
It's on us now. We were pushing [last year]. We were flirting with it a little bit last year before the deadline. I love the fact that we're gonna be significant. We've added some nice pieces, but we're still not there and what more motivation can you have than that as a group."

I have really loved these summer moves, because this is now a hockey team. Built how hockey teams are built. Good role players for every role, more depth than you need, kids on the pipeline pushing in and pushing vets out. Great center depth, perfect handnesses finally there, especially at defence.

It's the start of the real rise. I've seen enough hockey in 35 years to see this point of organization.

I can easily see it.

Can you?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think they take a big step this year and are in the mix right down to the wire, likely going from a goal differential of -39 last year to about 0.

Now will that be enough to get in? Not sure. But it'll be fun to watch, with things only getting better as the kids continue to get called up and learn over the next few seasons.

Last year Florida squeaked in at the last minute with 92 points. That's right about where I see Detroit's record this year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
NHL is full of swings.

No one predicted New Jersey to jump up from 63 points to 112-point team.

That was crazy. They just did build the roster on a right way, got Jack Hughes 100% after injury-lost later season etc. They still had crap goalies and weaknesses on the roster, but hey, that's the reality in cap world.

No one is having a perfect roster.

But Wings have got better at almost every position versus last season. That makes huge things. No wonder Lalonde is full of trust. He does feel it. He knows it. It's time to make things happen.

Reactions: saska sault

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Let's look forward, with positive eyes and it's time start to bring that winner mentality back.

I have really loved these summer moves, because this is now a hockey team. Built how hockey teams are built. Good role players for every role, more depth than you need, kids on the pipeline pushing in and pushing vets out. Great center depth, perfect handnesses finally there, especially at defence.

It's the start of the real rise. I've seen enough hockey in 35 years to see this point of organization.

I can easily see it.

Can you?
The Dan Campbell man crush is palpable. I like the fact Lalonde doesn't want to make any excuses. We are no longer the worst team in the league and should begin ascending towards the playoffs and having our window open up here in the next year or two.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The Dan Campbell man crush is palpable. I like the fact Lalonde doesn't want to make any excuses. We are no longer the worst team in the league and should begin ascending towards the playoffs and having our window open up here in the next year or two.

We haven't been the worst team in the league for 3 seasons.

4 seasons ago, at 2019-20, we were.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I

I can easily see it.

Can you?
100% believe the Wings are going to be really underestimated this year. I said it last year and if it wasn't for losing Bert, Vrana losing his shit, Ras getting hurt when it looked like he was starting to finally get going land the trades at the deadline i think we were a wildcard team. This year we actually added guys that can put the puck in the net and not guys.

The new additions can actually score and have in the NHL already. We had guys like Zadina, Luff, Czarnik, Chaisson, Erne, Hirose etc. Not exactly firepower or really anything special except a roster spot. Ras will be back and hopefully shows improved which he finally was, Fabbri if healthy is good for 15-20, Compher is a solid 200ft player who should be good for around 20, Sprong can pot 20 and of course Debrincat is a complete unknown, even Ghost on for the pp where we struggled for the last few years.

Not too mention Ray and Bergy may pick it up and actually have a few high end prospects knocking at the door. Sure I won't call Larkin elite by anymeans but anyone has to admit the team is actually pretty deep. Yzerman added alot of firepower and left alot of options on the table and not capped out.

IMO the Wings are a total sleeper team this year and the biggest person that gets noticed is Yzerman.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Health at the top will be big for this team. Larkin and Seider have to play at least 75 if we want to have a chance at at a wildcard spot. With that said for most of the other roles we have some depth. The fact that Kasper and Ed will likely be our first callups shows the depth.

I do think this is going to be a team other teams hate playing against. Not sure if we'll hit that WC spot quite this season but I think we'll see a ton of growth.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Personally, I would be so happy with 10 point increase as another step in the right direction. Think that should be roughly the goal and anything above that we can be happy with potentially contending for a wildcard spot. It is a really tough division, so I think making the playoffs as a goal could be a little lofty. Just continue to improve and let the kids grow as organically as you can and that makes my half chub, a full one.

Reactions: Steve91

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This season will be a huge improvement but I am still skeptical we make the playoffs unless something happens in net.

I think this is the season all the anti-tank crowd has been waiting for though. We are no longer avoiding getting better because we have finally past the point it made sense to do so.

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Sure I won't call Larkin elite by anymeans but anyone has to admit the team is actually pretty deep. Yzerman added alot of firepower and left alot of options on the table and not capped out.

IMO the Wings are a total sleeper team this year and the biggest person that gets noticed is Yzerman.
Larkin will have better wingers, fewer tougher minutes... I am curious to see if he can take it to another gear this season.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Larkin will have better wingers, fewer tougher minutes... I am curious to see if he can take it to another gear this season.
I think that's going to be a very underestimated advantage of having better team defense. If Larkins can recharge a bit on the bench and we can reliably shift some defensive responsibilities to Copp/Compher, I think Larkin improves. I also really think DeBrincat is going to be a huge asset for Larkin on the top line and Raymond on whatever line he lands on.

The accumulation of depth, even as minor as it appears on paper, makes us much more flexible.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like to see Raymond away from Larkin and probably on third line . It's time for him become line leader

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't know what he means by significant when he also says we aren't there yet.

The season will only go as far as health of either/both of Larkin/Seider play most of the games. Either one of them gone for a good stretch and we are are toast.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like to see Raymond away from Larkin and probably on third line . It's time for him become line leader

Agree. Even though Raymond is a good playmaker, at same time he too much shooter like Larkin is shoot-first. And if DeBrincat is locked to Larkin, this would be wasting chemistries.

The top line will nees a piano puller or at least a guy like Perron, who can win board bttles and be very creative for two scorers (Cat & Larkin).

Maybe theyll try Ras there, maybe Copp. We'll see.

Raymond with Compher is my preferred option. Add Fabbri to LW.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Agree. Even though Raymond is a good playmaker, at same time he too much shooter like Larkin is shoot-first. And if DeBrincat is locked to Larkin, this would be wasting chemistries.

The top line will nees a piano puller or at least a guy like Perron, who can win board bttles and be very creative for two scorers (Cat & Larkin).

Maybe theyll try Ras there, maybe Copp. We'll see.

Raymond with Compher is my preferred option. Add Fabbri to LW.
Rasmussen Larkin Debrincat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad