We are fortunate we have witnessed this rivalry

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hawks vs Canucks anyone?

This had the same tone of "slaying the dragon" when the Canucks finally beat the Hawks. Good times. Man I still remember the Hawks instigators... Eager, Byfuglien, Bolland... Lots of drama off the ice to which was quite fun for a fan to follow. Both teams hated each other. Do the Hawks still use the dreaded Chelsea Dagger goal song?

hawks-vs-canucks.jpg

The Pens and Caps rivalry has been great to follow for a neutral fan. Two of the best players for the past decade going at it... finally Ovy gets a win. I didn't believe it when the caps score... usually they would not seal the deal. Red wings and Avs rivalry was on another level, of course the league was very different back then when you can get away with the dirtier hits and antics, which let's face it we fans love.

This would have been a perfect analogy if Washington won in 2017, when Washington had built its strongest team ever.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Hands down, greatest rivalry in the recent years, every series between these two great teams was insanely tense and interesting, and I’m sure we might see one more episode.

Wow.

The greatest rivalry in the recent years is Avs vs. Red Wings from 96 to roughly 02
No other team could match the intensity or toughness of those two.
In those days you knew your way to the Stanley Cup was going either through Denver or Detroit. And there is no other way.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The greatest rivalry in the recent years is Avs vs. Red Wings from 96 to roughly 02
No other team could match the intensity or toughness of those two.
In those days you knew your way to the Stanley Cup was going either through Denver or Detroit. And there is no other way.
Have to also respect Dallas from that era. They fought there a way to the cup finals twice during those years and deserve to be close to the discussion with those two teams.

The big reason they aren't as fondly remembered is that Modano wasn't quite as iconic as Yzerman and Sakic, and they also played a very boring style (similar to the knocks on those Devils teams from the same era). The West was an absolute gauntlet back then. Those Dallas teams were stacked with Modano, Hull, Nieuwendyk, Lehtinen, Zubov, Darrien Hatcher and Belfour. I mean, that's 4 legit hall of Famers, one who should be (Zubov), one of the meanest and hardest hitting defenders of his era, and the best defensive winger of his era. They also didn't peak quite as long.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Definitively not the greatest rivalry. One team consistently took the other to the woodshed and back. 9-1 until tonight. But I think the Caps need to win the cup for it to heat up. Otherwise, it'll kind of be forgotten.

Battle of Alberta throughout the 80's was intense. Usually the winner got to the Finals.

Avs and Wings should be higher. The winner of that WCF went on to win the cup in 96, 97, and 02.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Hands down, greatest rivalry in the recent years, every series between these two great teams was insanely tense and interesting, and I’m sure we might see one more episode.

Wow.
Been rough being on the DC side of it thus far but damn tonight feels good. Hopefully they take what they learned the past few series into the next round.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
One could say that in 16 and 17, this series was the SC-final in a way. So its a special rivalry, especially if Caps end up winning the Cup.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yes, what a great artificial rivalry created by the NHL. It's merely a typical metro division playoff between two teams who almost always play there.

When it's forced and artificial, it's not a rivalry. I know the intent by the NHL is to create this in the instigator entertainment business, but nope, nice try.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Aside from the fact it was incredibly one-sided. If Washington wins the Cup this year we can start talking up how it was a great rivalry, but given that this is the first time OV and company have actually made it past the Pens and into the conference finals, then no.

Best playoff rivalry the past 10 years was probably Chicago v LA. That was really meaningful hockey.
Sweet hot take man. No chance though but good try.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Have to also respect Dallas from that era. They fought there a way to the cup finals twice during those years and deserve to be close to the discussion with those two teams.

The big reason they aren't as fondly remembered is that Modano wasn't quite as iconic as Yzerman and Sakic, and they also played a very boring style (similar to the knocks on those Devils teams from the same era). The West was an absolute gauntlet back then. Those Dallas teams were stacked with Modano, Hull, Nieuwendyk, Lehtinen, Zubov, Darrien Hatcher and Belfour. I mean, that's 4 legit hall of Famers, one who should be (Zubov), one of the meanest and hardest hitting defenders of his era, and the best defensive winger of his era. They also didn't peak quite as long.

Sure, I forgot to mention Dallas. They were a juggernaut too.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Yes, what a great artificial rivalry created by the NHL. It's merely a typical metro division playoff between two teams who almost always play there.

When it's forced and artificial, it's not a rivalry. I know the intent by the NHL is to create this in the instigator entertainment business, but nope, nice try.
So, we're not allowed to have rivalries anymore if teams in the same division meet in the playoffs every year? I'm genuinely curious as to what makes a rivalry real and not 'artificial', does it only count if the playoff seeding is 1-8 and they meet in the third round? Or is there some other criteria?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The greatest rivalry was Habs-Nordiques and the Nordiques never won a cup. So I think we might be honest here and admit that the Pens-Caps has been a great rivalry.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Flyers and Pens are more of a traditional rivalry (Battle of PA)
But I would definitely consider the Caps and Pens to be a rivalry of skill.

Avs and Red Wings was just epic. Even as a Pens fan back then I'd have friends emailing me (over those dial up modems anyway) and reminding me to tune in because the "blood bath" was on that night when they'd play.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Because for two seasons it featured defending Cup champions facing off and dethrowing each other in the Conference Finals with the winner going on and winning the Cup. That beats the “greatness” of Pittsburgh repeatedly and inevitably stomping Washington early in the playoffs for a decade.

Rivalries don't get created in hindsight and are not results based. A good rivalry comes from series after series of relentless hatred.

The Kings-Hawks games were... fine, I guess. But not even a top 3 rivalry for either team in the past 10 years, not even close.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
-LOL at LA and that sorry Pacific division. 3 Cups since 1991 for the entire Pacific, Pacific = Worst Division in All Professional sports

Not really. The Pens are the 3rd or 4th best Cup team of the decade and they played the same team over and over that sucked in the playoffs. You don't see the LA fans bragging about beating the Blues or Sharks do you?

If that's your yard stick, no wonder why you don't measure up.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Not really. The Pens are the 3rd or 4th best Cup team of the decade and they played the same team over and over that sucked in the playoffs. You don't see the LA fans bragging about beating the Blues or Sharks do you?

If that's your yard stick, no wonder why you don't measure up.

-My yardstick is 5 Stanley Cups and the best franchise in the new era NHL, 1990 onward when international players played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad