We are fortunate we have witnessed this rivalry

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Hands down, greatest rivalry in the recent years, every series between these two great teams was insanely tense and interesting, and I’m sure we might see one more episode.
Wow.
Aside from the fact it was incredibly one-sided. If Washington wins the Cup this year we can start talking up how it was a great rivalry, but given that this is the first time OV and company have actually made it past the Pens and into the conference finals, then no.

Best playoff rivalry the past 10 years was probably Chicago v LA. That was really meaningful hockey.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Aside from the fact it was incredibly one-sided. If Washington wins the Cup this year we can start talking up how it was a great rivalry, but given that this is the first time OV and company have actually made it past the Pens and into the conference finals, then no.

Best playoff rivalry the past 10 years was probably Chicago v LA. That was really meaningful hockey.

only 2 series, one went 5 games

how is that a great rivalry?

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017

-LOL at LA and that sorry Pacific division. 3 Cups since 1991 for the entire Pacific, Pacific = Worst Division in All Professional sports

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Caps-Pens series is the epitome of meh. I much prefer Pens-Flyers 2012-2013 style over the snoozefest and phoniness that is the "Crosby vs Ovechkin" rivalry.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
only 2 series, one went 5 games

how is that a great rivalry?
Because for two seasons it featured defending Cup champions facing off and dethrowing each other in the Conference Finals with the winner going on and winning the Cup. That beats the “greatness” of Pittsburgh repeatedly and inevitably stomping Washington early in the playoffs for a decade.

Reactions: ShonSaunders

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Because for two seasons it featured defending Cup champions facing off and dethrowing each other in the Conference Finals with the winner going on and winning the Cup. That beats the “greatness” of Pittsburgh repeatedly and inevitably stomping Washington early in the playoffs for a decade.

-The Penguins played the Capitals 4 times in the Cap era, the Pens won the Stanley Cup in 3 of them. If Washington wins this year this rivalry completely smokes anything LA has

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
I hope the Jets win , but has been a great series
the 2 best teams in the league !!
one more episode is coming up , going to beat an epic game

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Vid, The russian homer must be creaming in his pants. Backstrom injured while the russians advance.

Biggest homer i ever seen.

Last edited:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

Avs vs Red Wings from 96 to 02 was the greatest playoff hockey rivalry that I have witnessed and it's not even close. That was true hatred.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Hawks vs Canucks anyone?

This had the same tone of "slaying the dragon" when the Canucks finally beat the Hawks. Good times. Man I still remember the Hawks instigators... Eager, Byfuglien, Bolland... Lots of drama off the ice to which was quite fun for a fan to follow. Both teams hated each other. Do the Hawks still use the dreaded Chelsea Dagger goal song?

hawks-vs-canucks.jpg

The Pens and Caps rivalry has been great to follow for a neutral fan. Two of the best players for the past decade going at it... finally Ovy gets a win. I didn't believe it when the caps score... usually they would not seal the deal. Red wings and Avs rivalry was on another level, of course the league was very different back then when you can get away with the dirtier hits and antics, which let's face it we fans love.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Avs vs Red Wings from 96 to 02 was the greatest playoff hockey rivalry that I have witnessed and it's not even close. That was true hatred.
Agreed. The combination of skill and hatered is unmatched, and probably won't be matched anytime soon due to how the league is being reffed (not really a bad thing due to what we now know about head injuries) and the salary cap limiting the assembly of a team with that much firepower.

Reactions: Sleepy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad