We are 1/3rd of the Way Through The Season

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
When you are surrounded by talent you can make mistakes. Kronwall is not surrounded by talent and when he makes a mistake it's usually a goal for the other team.

Pavel seems like he stepped it up a notch realizing that he's on his own to make it happen. The guys he's playing with can't handle his passes and he knows it. My worry is he presses too much and he gets hurt

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
Let's face it: this Wings team is not a contender.

Trade Datsyuk now, and jump-start the rebuilding process.

This team is going nowhere.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
I'm sorry, but I just do not see Getzlaf or Perry hitting the market if Anaheim continues to play this well. We can speculate all we want on hometowns being close to Detroit and what not, but Gabby has that team playing good, offensive hockey. If they finish as a high seed and advance in the playoffs, then I see neither of them leaving.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
When you are surrounded by talent you can make mistakes. Kronwall is not surrounded by talent and when he makes a mistake it's usually a goal for the other team.

Pavel seems like he stepped it up a notch realizing that he's on his own to make it happen. The guys he's playing with can't handle his passes and he knows it. My worry is he presses too much and he gets hurt

Cleary and Gator aren't the most skilled guys, but their willingness to go to the boards and battle - and letting Datsyuk not have to do that - was still effective yesterday. That line had a good game, and those two guys played a part in that. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't what we're accustomed to, but it worked.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
The team starts struggling and the haters come out of the woodwork. Love it.

When Abdelkader and Cleary are in the top 6, you know this team is decimated with injuries. And yet, they are still in the playoff hunt.

Of course there will be a certain adjustment period without having one of the best defenseman to play the game and our best defensive defenseman leave at the same time. Two months without Lidstrom and Stuart and a ridiculous encounter with the injury bug and people are jumping ship.

No, this team is not a contender currently. There is no depth to speak of due to the injuries, the special teams are downright awful and certain core roster players aren't pulling their weight. But they don't have to tank to go through the inevitable rebuild. Every team had to go through some kind of rebuild. Pittsburgh did it. Chicago, LA, etc.

I think with the emergence of our highly rated prospects, current roster players growing in their role and trimming the fat that is the useless roster players (we all know who they are), will improve this team. It'll probably not happen this year or the next. Hell, maybe not even the year after. But all teams go through these struggles. It's unbelievable how the Wings have managed to be playoff contenders consistently. I still think they'll make the playoffs and they probably won't win the Cup like 15 other teams (a lot of them who are actual favorites this year).

Show some patience and loyalty people.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Cleary and Gator aren't the most skilled guys, but their willingness to go to the boards and battle - and letting Datsyuk not have to do that - was still effective yesterday. That line had a good game, and those two guys played a part in that. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't what we're accustomed to, but it worked.

There's really no good argument you can make to justify both of those bums on Datsyuk's line. They may have been effective yesterday(still losing), but overall those two players have been overall fairly useless.

4.6 million wrapped up in guys who have combined for about 2 goals and 2 assists.

That is bad asset utilization. Even for what Abdelkater brings he's not worth 1.8million.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010

When Abdelkader and Cleary are in the top 6, you know this team is decimated with injuries. And yet, they are still in the playoff hunt.

Of course there will be a certain adjustment period without having one of the best defenseman to play the game and our best defensive defenseman leave at the same time. Two months without Lidstrom and Stuart and a ridiculous encounter with the injury bug and people are jumping ship.

No, this team is not a contender currently. There is no depth to speak of due to the injuries, the special teams are downright awful and certain core roster players aren't pulling their weight. But they don't have to tank to go through the inevitable rebuild. Every team had to go through some kind of rebuild. Pittsburgh did it. Chicago, LA, etc.

I think with the emergence of our highly rated prospects, current roster players growing in their role and trimming the fat that is the useless roster players (we all know who they are), will improve this team. It'll probably not happen this year or the next. Hell, maybe not even the year after. But all teams go through these struggles. It's unbelievable how the Wings have managed to be playoff contenders consistently. I still think they'll make the playoffs and they probably won't win the Cup like 15 other teams (a lot of them who are actual favorites this year).

Being in the playoff hunt is a terrible argument. The NHL points system is designed to keep crappy teams in the playoff hunt, so of course the Wings are still in it. Just like what, 27 others?

But I forgot, if you don't 100% agree with every ove and praise everything about the organization, you're a hater.:laugh:

Over the past few years, Holland and Babcock have made some very strange decisions and a lot of fans feel it's hurting the team, which looks to be like a completely valid feeling.

Just because some people question trhings, doesn't mean they are any less of a fan than you or anyone else who blindly follows the team with red coloured glasses.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
What was that stat they showed during the game today? DRW with something like 107 man-games lost to injury, leading the NHL while #2 is something like 69 man-games?

Call me an optimist if you like, but in my opinion, still being in the playoff race despite that horrendous statistic is pretty damn great. I want to make the playoffs. I'll never be one of those fans who wants to tank to get a free high draft pick. Give me the playoffs anytime.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
But when he have to overload them...

...it will lead to injuries for both of them.

It just goes that way, if those other injuries just keep going and going and this freaking situation is birthing new injuries. Sooner or later, one or both of those huge stars go out and then we start talking about Jones or Barkov.

Yeah, I agree completely. Datsyuk was already out of the lineup once so who knows what his situation is at this point. He's playing and he looked awesome last night but how many times can you go 1v4 and not have it take a toll on you? Fortunately Drew Doughty is not a dirty player as he could have knocked Pavs out of the lineup for quite a while if he hit Datsyuk up high on that check where he laid #13 out.

I like that we're getting our younger guys ice time. We have always said we want to see younger players get a shot and it's happening.

Cory Emmerton: 89 NHL games
Brendan Smith: 22 NHL games
Joakim Andersson: 11 NHL games
Tomas Tatar: 17 NHL games
Brian Lashoff: 12 NHL games
Petr Mrazek: 2 NHL games

I think the best way to get Cleary and/or Abby out of the top 6 is by bringing up Riley Sheahan. He has the size Babs wants and he's supposed to be a top 6 forward. He generated no offense at Notre Dame but he's having a nice campaign in GR. I'd like to at least get him a few games in Detroit while Sammy is on IR and hopefully he plays well enough to stick.

As I've said numerous times I'm fine with this being a rebuilding year. What are your goals during a rebuilding year? Find out which guys are keepers who will be core pieces of your team going forward and trade out guys who were supposed to maintain the status quo but have little to no role now that we are probably going to get a very good draft pick. That means move Cleary, Sammy, Kindl, Miller, Eaves, etc. Get as many draft picks in the 2013 draft as you can and if you're lucky we could have a much stronger team in 2013-14.

RedWingsNow*

I do not think that Kronwall has been brutal, I think the team all together is not as deep, mostly due to injuries. Somehow need to make room for Nyquist/Tatar. Miller/Eaves need to score a few more goals, valid point.

I think that Jimmy has played well, but this team really needs Helm and dare I say Bert back?

Did you see the play yesterday where Kronwall fanned on the pass and gave it right to a Pred in the low slot?
And then the Wings get the puck back and Kronwall coughs it up to the guy on the point.

When you see Kronwall mistakes like that don't end up in the net, and then you see mistakes that do end up in the net, and then you notice he's out there for 70 percent of the goals against, it's difficult to come to any other impression than that Kronwall has been brutal.

It doesn't seem to matter who he's paired with.

If Detroiters cared about the Wings like they care about the Lions, Kronwall would be getting eaten alive by fans and talk radio

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Did you see the play yesterday where Kronwall fanned on the pass and gave it right to a Pred in the low slot?
And then the Wings get the puck back and Kronwall coughs it up to the guy on the point.

When you see Kronwall mistakes like that don't end up in the net, and then you see mistakes that do end up in the net, and then you notice he's out there for 70 percent of the goals against, it's difficult to come to any other impression than that Kronwall has been brutal.

If Detroiters cared about the Wings like they care about the Lions, Kronwall would be getting eaten alive by fans and talk radio

I'm still waiting to hear a caller rip on Babcock, Holland, Cleary or Kronwall. I'm considering doing it. But I'd probably get dropped 10 seconds in.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
But I forgot, if you don't 100% agree with every ove and praise everything about the organization, you're a hater.:laugh:

Yes, asking to trade Datsyuk, wanting to tank and calling Holland the worst GM or Babcock the worst coach when, let's be honest, there aren't a lot of better options out there definitely qualifies you as a hater.

You don't have to agree with the their decisions. I don't, that's for sure. But we're not running this team. No one is remotely qualified to manage/coach an NHL team around here.

We can discuss possibilites for the team, how they can progress, talk about prospects, etc. but at the end of the day it's supporting a hockey club. You go with whatever decision they make weather you like it or not. No, I don't think Kindl was handled properly, I think Babcock's love for Cleary is ridiculous, but whatever team they put on the ice, I'm going to rage/scream/celebrate the same :D

crashman

But that would require them to understand hockey.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Haha. The Lions get the biggest free pass in the history of sports. They've done nothing for their entire history and it's still getting sold out every game unless they're going 0-16.

Detroit sports fans are pretty soft on their athletes overall.

RedWingsNow*

LOL.

You have to be Columbus BJ bad to be out of the playoff hunt this early. In a short season, I doubt the difference between 6th and 12th is more than 8 points. Right now, it's four points. And LA is 12th with 14 games played.

Who is jumping ship?
Nobody who posts on these boards.

You might be wrong about that. It's getting harder and harder to win. It's getting harder and harder to land elite players in UFA.

And seriously, if the next Datsyuk or Zetterberg are in our system, I don;t know it.
Fedorov was 31 when Datsyuk was a rookie and 32 when Zetterberg was a rookie. Yzerman was 36 when Datsyuk was a rookie.

Even worse, Feds was 27 when Datsyuk was drafted and 28 when Zetterberg was drafted.
So unless the next star is in our system, it's unlikely they'll play with Datsyuk the way Zetterberg and Datsyuk played with Yzerman.

Is anyone talking up Jarnkrok like he's the next Zetterberg anymore? I don't think so

I think with the emergence of our highly rated prospects, current roster players growing in their role and trimming the fat that is the useless roster players (we all know who they are), will improve this team. It'll probably not happen this year or the next. Hell, maybe not even the year after. But all teams go through these struggles. It's unbelievable the Wings have managed to be playoff contenders consistently. I still think they'll make the playoffs and they probably won't win the Cup like 15 other teams (a lot of them who are actual favorites this year).

Man, that's pathetic. This post makes me ill.
Lectured about loyalty? What a joke.
We're all here spending our time taking about the Red WIngs. You think you get brownie points if you don't criticize your team?:laugh:

You're going to go to Red Wings heaven when you die and be greeted by Saint Gordie at the gates?:laugh:

RedWingsNow*

Haha. The Lions get the biggest free pass in the history of sports. They've done nothing for their entire history and it's still getting sold out every game unless they're going 0-16.

Detroit sports fans are pretty soft on their athletes overall.

They get worked up over football and baseball though.
I've heard plenty of calls ripping on Leyland whoever else. You don't get that from hockey fans.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Cleary and Gator aren't the most skilled guys, but their willingness to go to the boards and battle - and letting Datsyuk not have to do that - was still effective yesterday

What? All I saw was the Preds taking liberties on Datsyuk while Cleary and Gator stood back and did nothing.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Man, that's pathetic. This post makes me ill.
Lectured about loyalty? What a joke.
We're all here spending our time taking about the Red WIngs. You think you get brownie points if you don't criticize your team?:laugh:

You're going to go to Red Wings heaven when you die and be greeted by Saint Gordie at the gates?:laugh:

Posting dumb **** like asking for Datsyuk to be traded or tanking to land the lottery pick makes me ill. Are people going to stop doing it? Doubtful

I'm not lecturing about loyalty, I'm just asking people to stop posting utter BS at the first signs of struggling so we can actually have a proper discussion about the Red Wings.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
They get worked up over football and baseball though.
I've heard plenty of calls ripping on Leyland whoever else. You don't get that from hockey fans.

I think that has to do with their format though, they don't cater to hockey talk because it doesn't bring the ratings and the people they have on the air know nothing about the game or the team.

I mean, we have guys like Valenti on the radio saying we should've traded Datsyuk years ago just to 'shake it up'. I get what you're saying, but the topics aren't catered to ripping anyone.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Posting dumb **** like asking for Datsyuk to be traded or tanking to land the lottery pick makes me ill. Are people going to stop doing it? Doubtful

I'm not lecturing about loyalty, I'm just asking people to stop posting utter BS at the first signs of struggling so we can actually have a proper discussion about the Red Wings.

I would hardly call this season to be the first sign of struggle, this team has been trending downward by most meaningful measures for four years. Also trading players when they have high value and tanking to replenish the system is a completely legit way to build a team for the future. Ask Pittsburgh or Chicago. It's not the only way but when all your elite talent is either retired (Lidstrom) or north of 30 (Hank, Dats) combined with a cap it COULD be the best way. Certainly a legit argument at least. Ask Calgary fans how their approach is going, I for one would rather really suck for a year or two than struggle along in mediocrity for years to come.

RedWingsNow*

I think the idea of trading Datsyuk is ridiculous.
But if people think that's the way to go, it doesn't make me a better fan to call them out for "disloyalty."

That's a punk move ProPAIN

THis was not the "first sign of struggle" either,. You just didn't want to see it and you called anyone who did a troll.

CloneHakanPlease*

Whats funny is that both of those dumb things help us tremendously in 5 years.

Some of you are so ****ing delusional about this team's ability.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I'm sorry, but I just do not see Getzlaf or Perry hitting the market if Anaheim continues to play this well. We can speculate all we want on hometowns being close to Detroit and what not, but Gabby has that team playing good, offensive hockey. If they finish as a high seed and advance in the playoffs, then I see neither of them leaving.
I don't see them coming to Detroit either. Whether people want to accept it or not, Detroit is no longer a destination team. Hell, Parise said Detroit wasn't even a consideration and doesn't know who started the rumour and look at all the clamoring that was on the board and in the media. Rebuilding is going to have to be within the organization, especially when KH historically lowballs top tier free agents. Put it this way; if you are a FA in the likes of Perry or Getzlaf do you want to play for a GM that continually brings back players like Sammy, Cleary, Bertuzzi?

It could be worse, could be better. I appreciate the success in the past 20 years, never knew a bad Red Wings team, so I can't complain.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I don't remember the exact quote but during the Ducks game the commentators said something along the lines of Getz was about to start a contract negotiation and things looked good but Perry was a whole different story. (Or something like that)
So that makes me think if one of them is leaving Anaheim there's a better chance it'll be Perry.

Also I don't see the point in trading for them or their rights, because if they won't resign in Anaheim (a team that is doing well) they'll most likely be hell bent on testing the free agency market.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Just to clarify, I don't think it is a bad thing to have to rebuild, it is inevitable. I will continue to watch the 80-90% of wings games per season I always regardless of the standings.
Given a choice however, taking into account our current roster, prospect pool and the cap system I would rather take the Chicago route than the Calgary one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad