Injury Report: We almost won...but at what cost

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
not much point though, unless they actually need the time to heal. if you only LTIR for part of the season, you'll still have to fit them in mid-season, so not like you can get real replacements.

I really think Ek should be LTIR until playoffs. Guy has just been beaten up a lot and should really heal. I don't even say this for our team's situation, I think he should do it for himself. The concussions and neck stuff early, the broken leg, all the other shit he dealt with this season. He's still young and could still play another 10 years. Needs to take care of his body.

Still think we can make it into playoffs, obviously depending on who we add, but it's gonna be a close one again.

I’m ok with that. Go ham on defensemen. Get Soucy, Graves, and Peeke and activate Ekblad come playoffs. Would be sick.

Reactions: harv33173

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
My concern with Ekblad is it seems he is hurting his leg, legs, or any part of his lower body on a seemingly yearly basis now. Actually true the last 3 years.

Is it bad luck? Possible. Yes. We can go with that (the Dallas one Ill say it was 100% bad luck). But also, I know I meme'd that he is fat. Ok, maybe he isnt, but he is f***in slow. I think being a bit more swift could possibly help him avoid some of these leg injuries. Not to mention being lighter in general just lowers the stress on your legs.

But EVEN IF he did that, how reliable are those legs. Again, that is THREE leg injuries in three seasons. I mean?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
My concern with Ekblad is it seems he is hurting his leg, legs, or any part of his lower body on a seemingly yearly basis now. Actually true the last 3 years.

Is it bad luck? Possible. Yes. We can go with that (the Dallas one Ill say it was 100% bad luck). But also, I know I meme'd that he is fat. Ok, maybe he isnt, but he is f***in slow. I think being a bit more swift could possibly help him avoid some of these leg injuries. Not to mention being lighter in general just lowers the stress on your legs.

But EVEN IF he did that, how reliable are those legs. Again, that is THREE leg injuries in three seasons. I mean?

Ya never really know with this stuff and we don't know the severity of reach injury. I get that people keep harping on him about skating and are worried about injuries. I am too, but we don't really know what he'll be like when he gets fully healed up, like actually fully 100% healed up. I really hope he and the team is smart about this and just shelve him for the next season.

Yeah yeah NTC or whatever in his last year. I say f*** it, the dude has given his body to this team and has earned the right to prove to us what he's got.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Y'know what? It was worth everything!

Maybe @PSLguy is avoiding me cuz he thinks I'm trying to bitch for an hour and a half about the refs. He'd have good reason to think so, but this is what I've been telling everyone who's been down in the dumps for the last couple days:

I started following the Panthers back in 96, obviously because of Beezer. I've been down here for almost 20 years now. I'm just as much a Panthers fan as I am a Rangers fan and have been since somewhere in the 06-07 season. Full hearted. So while I still watch everything available for the NYR I grew up breathing, I've seen just about every Panthers game, been to all the prospect and training camps, been a loud part of the record low crowds, and a few team functions. Stumbled upon this forum 14 years ago, through the thickest and thinnest. Learned a lot about how to deal with difference in opinions. Learned I would call some folks ... holy shit- I don't even know real names of or what y'all look like: men, women, and all in between or beyond- a good friend. Many of you have been though everything I have with this team, afterall, who else could possibly understand? We're what we got<3

The Florida Panthers! All things considered- going through the dogfight hell that was the first 3 rounds where every damn game could've ended either way. Thru the injuries and cheating refs. Hell, if the refs didn't do all of what they did, it might've went to 7. I could go into the details, but you should already know em. Infuriating doesn't cover half of it. And I'm not even one of the broken players getting fully funked over, what toll do you guys think that takes on them? Hard to focus on the task at hand when all you can think of is how we're getting screwed. The 5 remaining D-man powerplay sums it all up.

I should be Ray Finkel, but I'm not. I actually don't feel all too pissed at all. Hell, if we did make it to game 7, Brady Tkachuk would've had to tie everyone's skates and get everyone dressed.

So while we didn't win, I feel like we sure as hell didn't lose!

Not to make this post of positivity confrontational, but I see a lot of people mentioning stats and a scoreboard. THE greatest/best player this game ever saw said "stats are for losers". Many in the hockey world laughed at him when he said that. They laughed when BrindAmour said it wasn't a sweep. While each game was a goal post or a Bob rob away from a totally different outcome, we won but it's not like we were the better team exactly.
Same for Vegas if they went thru the teams we did. They all super beefed up for action and boy did our guys take the brunt of it.

That said, I wouldn't be more proud of our team even if they did win the 2 close losses and the 1 more. They really gave it all out there, playing thru the major injuries that were reported, and it totally wasn't not good enough. Sure- no hats, no shirts, no parade, no rings, no Cup. But that will come. We got a Presidents trophy last year, we have an Eastern conference championship this year. What's next for next year?

And that Eastern Conference championship mattered more to us than a Stanley Cup ever could to the Vegas fans. I and many around me f***ing ugly cried happy tears leaving game 3 after how it all played out, 27+ years of it. They won't ever feel that. They haven't been thru enough, and now that they got their Cup, it didn't and won't ever mean as much as a single dramatic win in the finals does to us. No matter how many times they win. Almost feel sorry for em 😂 Sure that's presumptuous as hell, speaking for what Vegas fans feel. But am I wrong? Really?
Did any or all of the Marchessault goals put together compare to when our all star MVP heart and soul player came back and tied the game with a cracked f***ing sternum?? That's some Bob Baun shit right there. For the ages!

Bob Smythe! While Smith and Marchy ended up full on pumping the breaks on us owing Tallon a big fat f***in apology, Bob was worth the whole chunk of change. Robbed of the Conn Smythe, not a single player on Vegas made as much of a difference as Sergei Bobrovsky thru 4 rounds. Oh, his stats in the 2 of the 5 games where most of the guys in front of him had nothing left? (see 99's "losers" statement)

But what now for us? Well, we're still in the hunt. And it will be even more glorious than the thrill of the Presidents and Prince of Wales trophies. And nothing will be able to take it away.

In Zito I Trust. Resign Gudas, hopefully sign Graves and perhaps try to get that monster Bahl while we're poaching Jersey players and our guys will need time (til April) to *fully* heal both mentally and physically, and get ready to fight again!

BEST SEASON EVER FAM, THE FUTURE IS NOW.

Last edited:

Beezers Mask

Oct 5, 2021
Have to be even more proud of how these boys played now knowing all the injuries they were fighting through. Not much you can do when half the top 9 forwards and 3 of the top 5 d were pretty severely injured. Especially knowing we had no depth and we’re basically icing two AHL lines in the last game or two.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Would be interesting to think about how our path would have changed if we didn't shit the bed game 82.

Opened against New Jersey then play Carolina or the Rangers (likely Carolina) then whoever comes out of the atlantic (likely Boston or Toronto).

How does injury luck change (Boston cost a lot apparently), do we still make the Final? Are we healthier in the final?

Reactions: 5 Hole

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Would be interesting to think about how our path would have changed if we didn't shit the bed game 82.

Opened against New Jersey then play Carolina or the Rangers (likely Carolina) then whoever comes out of the atlantic (likely Boston or Toronto).

How does injury luck change (Boston cost a lot apparently), do we still make the Final? Are we healthier in the final?
Unless I am mistaken Florida was pretty healthy until the finals? Chucky, Montour and Gudas all got hurt vs Vegas, and Luostarinen was at the end of game 4 vs Carolina. Bennett, Ekblad, and Lomberg were the only players who were hurt earlier. That's not that bad. It does help explain why the series was so lopsided but injuries can't be predicted, Carolina got completely f***ed by them, it happens.

NHL playoffs are luck.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Unless I am mistaken Florida was pretty healthy until the finals? Chucky, Montour and Gudas all got hurt vs Vegas, and Luostarinen was at the end of game 4 vs Carolina. Bennett, Ekblad, and Lomberg were the only players who were hurt earlier. That's not that bad. It does help explain why the series was so lopsided but injuries can't be predicted, Carolina got completely f***ed by them, it happens.

NHL playoffs are luck.

Ekbkad broke his ankle against Boston and tore his oblique and I think his shoulder injury too.

Bennett started the playoffs hurt then had to play against Boston.

Eetu was hurt in the ECF (this is the tough one to hypothesize on).

That's a lot of attrition on two important guys that could have been lessened playing a pillow soft Jersey team

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Look at Boston, they were missing all their best players in the beginning of the season, and were dominant. I am not overly optimistic, but not really worried - again: we got in with Marc Staal as 4D, and by playing good hockey for like 2 months... should definitely not be as close as this year
It's easier to start the season because the system isn't new anymore. It could be an opportunity to deepen the roster by bringing in some new guys.

I am not, however, going to predict how easy or hard it is to reach to the playoffs because there might be some teams in the East that'll improve a lot (maybe Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa) but I am not too worried right now. We take the injuries and move forward.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
So nhl dot com has a prediction for who’s in the running to be 2024 champ.

Vegas
Bruins
Hurricanes
Lightning
Stars
Kings
Oilers

That’s it. The middle finger is clear; maybe refs got that message too?

Let them debate what they want. Those don’t mean Jack shit.

Reactions: harv33173

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
When you're going up against a team with no bottom 6, it's way easier to just focus on shutting down someone like Barkov, who had NICK COUSINS on his wing for a game in the final. We know Duke sucks, too.

We'll always want more from Barkov, I get it. But he was not the issue.
I'm convinced Duclair is still not fully recovered from his ACL surgery. That takes a long time. He definitely did not look like his old self. In previous seasons, he was a very capable offensive force. With rest, I hope he fully recovers.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Ya never really know with this stuff and we don't know the severity of reach injury. I get that people keep harping on him about skating and are worried about injuries. I am too, but we don't really know what he'll be like when he gets fully healed up, like actually fully 100% healed up. I really hope he and the team is smart about this and just shelve him for the next season.

Yeah yeah NTC or whatever in his last year. I say f*** it, the dude has given his body to this team and has earned the right to prove to us what he's got.

But that is a Problem, he could speak with the Team and say. Hey let me stay a bit longer out so i can health back to 100%. Then he was by himself on 100% and had him for 10 Games and he was gone again.
That is the Main Problem. 5 good to great Year against 5 really bad Year and that for 7,5 Million a Year. But if you wanna play aslong as you can, you also have to carry and watch over yourself.
He might be healthy 100% maybe not. How far can you reach 100% after all the Injuries and operations and rehab. What is then 100% to 100% 8 Years back.

He did a lot for the Franchise and sometimes he lacked on everything in the baddest Timing. In my history now more then 3 Times, on serious times in PO. Not only this Year also in other series.

Im not 100% sure what he brings, his PP Time is now limited someone play it better then him. He also doesnt get anymore the highest IceTime. So he isnt anymore the MainPlayer on his Role. That role had Forsling and Montour and both did it very well in their part of the Game.

And then i should say, yes he is it. Dont get Picks and Assets back when he is healthy and let him go for nothing. Because he can get up to 8-10 Million, for the Role you give him. Core Player, he did it for the Franchise, Franchise Player top Player on his Role. Really? That is the Question every up and down has to think about it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
ForsGOD is jacked!! Well deserved RnR for the boys!!

FyxnT0aXoAEpKLE.jpeg.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad