Injury Report: We almost won...but at what cost

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
At least when Colorado had this last year it was after winning the Cup. I have been out of the loop until today but just took this in and feel it's threadworthy lmao:

Eetu Luostarinen-broken tibia; typical recovery 3-6 months, status for the start of next year in question
Matthew Tkachuk- broken sternum; 4-6 weeks
Brandon Montour-torn labrum; out 3 months
Sam Bennett-injury vs Toronto; no timeline specifics
Radko Gudas-high sprain; 6 weeks
Aaron Ekblad-broken foot, dislocated shoulder x 2, torn oblique, expected to miss start of season

Am I missing anyone, lol? Chucky, Montour and Gudas got hurt vs Vegas but with Eetu. Ekblad, and Bennett injured like this, nothing could be done lol. Pretty lucky no really bad injuries till game 4 vs Carolina.

So my question is: what is done? Chucky, Ekblad, and possibly Luostarinen won't be ready game 1, do you LTIR Ekblad and pull a Tampa/Vegas? They've shown they can win without Ek, doesn't seem like he'll be back any time soon anyways, and if he's fresh late in the season/playoffs it'll be a huge boost

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Agree, we need to add Lomberg and Bennett to the list… once we know what their ailments are. Bennett couldn’t put the gear on by himself.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Re: Ekblad, I know he's the whipping boy around here but you need to give him a huge amount of props for playing through what he did. My suggestion to LTIR him isn't because I don't want him on the team, it's because I want him fresh for playoffs (although with this many injuries, it may be another battle just to get in).

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I say we LTIR any player (except Tkachuk) with a sizable contract to the max recovery timeframe. So if the recovery is expected between 4-6 months, you’re not coming back till at least 6 months. Specially with a guy like Ekblad who has a decent cap hit and is injury prone.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Yeah… it’s going to be a dog fight just to get in next season…
Look at Boston, they were missing all their best players in the beginning of the season, and were dominant. I am not overly optimistic, but not really worried - again: we got in with Marc Staal as 4D, and by playing good hockey for like 2 months... should definitely not be as close as this year

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Injury to Bennett was “a pretty significant oblique problem” that became most noticeable during games 3 and 4 of the Toronto series.

Separate from the groin injury he had prior to the playoffs.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Ekblad to LTIR, back for game 1 of the playoffs. It's time to go 2021 Tampa (yeah Vegas was over the cap but it was to add Quick as a backup goalie because Lehner was out, had no affect). Let's make the NHL change the rule!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
306C6ADD-EB3D-491C-94A5-337D6FC72F6F.jpeg

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Maurice stated only two players may be questionable for TC. Ekblad is one of them.

Now, of course he did mention there's still some exit physicals/doctor discussions with players for options for injuries.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I say we LTIR any player (except Tkachuk) with a sizable contract to the max recovery timeframe. So if the recovery is expected between 4-6 months, you’re not coming back till at least 6 months. Specially with a guy like Ekblad who has a decent cap hit and is injury prone.

not much point though, unless they actually need the time to heal. if you only LTIR for part of the season, you'll still have to fit them in mid-season, so not like you can get real replacements.

I really think Ek should be LTIR until playoffs. Guy has just been beaten up a lot and should really heal. I don't even say this for our team's situation, I think he should do it for himself. The concussions and neck stuff early, the broken leg, all the other shit he dealt with this season. He's still young and could still play another 10 years. Needs to take care of his body.

Still think we can make it into playoffs, obviously depending on who we add, but it's gonna be a close one again.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad