OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I taught Mavis Bacon to Kindergartners when I did instructional technology straight out of college. 6 year olds just wanted to know if they could have an AOL acct. They honestly didn't care about formal typing.

and thus I think I helped create Tik Tok.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Thank you NeelyDan, please don't forget to answer them yourself!

1) There are quite a few. I'll go with 1975 when I was 15 and babysitting two young boys for the summer. They had a pool and they let me have one friend over to swim whenever I liked. One day I invited one of my black friends, the next day they told me I couldn't have friends over anymore because it wasn't safe with the pool. One of the little boys told me later that his father had said .... well you can imagine. When the parents came home that day, I told them I was done, that I don't work for racists. They whined, but who will we get for tomorrow now? I don't care, your problem.

2) When a person who I worked with in 1992/93 texted me and asked to get together. I am so happy to be reconnected with this person. Her cousin is also an ex-coworker and I chat to him regularly, so she got my number from him.

3) Our baby boy name was going to be Daniel Benjamin - we had girls and never used them.

4) I would love to go back to Stonehenge and witness how they greeted the September equinox.

5) Irregardless, "it is what it is", "I could care less". So many more than this....

Question for the people who hate "moist" - how do you describe a moist cake.....lol

Ok so the moist cake situation….

I may say light. I may say fluffy.

Sometimes though, you just gotta say moist. When I have to use the word, I tend to say it in a very deep voice with a lot of emphasis on the s so it’s like moisssst.

For some reason, saying it like an idiot takes some of the sting away.

Panties is worse than moist to me. Undies, underwear, or underoos only.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Sometimes though, you just gotta say moist. When I have to use the word, I tend to say it in a very deep voice with a lot of emphasis on the s so it’s like moisssst.

Moist. Panties

Two words I twitch at :laugh:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Also. I just turned in my 3rd collaborative book chapter and the editor was like....you are no longer required to put two spaces after punctuation, with a sigh.
I swear lady, it's muscle memory. I cant unlearn it
I went back to a community college for an office certificate some years back and had the same experience. I was told by the Business English teacher through a friend in our work group that putting two spaces after periods and colons was "old fashioned" and out of date. My response to my friend: "So am I." Btw I had worked with, and eventually under, this friend. She was a sweet natured, very attractive blonde mom of about 22. I was a very crusty gentleman of 40. It adds to the irony.

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

This reminds me of when we took our daughters to England and they met my hubby's sister for the first time. We live in an area where Mennonites are prolific and about 60% of their classmates were Mennonites. People are fascinated by this and ask a lot of questions. She asked what they wear to school and my daughter replied that the boys wear pants with suspenders. She looked horrified and confused because in England, pants are underwear and suspenders are what hold up nylons....lol

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This reminds me of when we took our daughters to England and they met my hubby's sister for the first time. We live in an area where Mennonites are prolific and about 60% of their classmates were Mennonites. People are fascinated by this and ask a lot of questions. She asked what they wear to school and my daughter replied that the boys wear pants with suspenders. She looked horrified and confused because in England, pants are underwear and suspenders are what hold up nylons....lol
Nylons are.....pantyhose

Sorry y'all :laugh:

The most evil invention known to women

• Haha
Reactions: caz16 and Mione134

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Allow me to introduce y'all to my ancient technology

My mom's Sears manual typewriter. You have to have serious skill to use that thing at any reasonable speed without getting your fingers stuck between the keys lol

And the best part..... click click click click DING!!!

20231006_222302.jpg

20231006_222340.jpg

And then there's my electronic typewriter. Many a term paper was typed on that thing.

20231006_222444.jpg

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

My mom's Sears manual typewriter. You have to have serious skill to use that thing at any reasonable speed without getting your fingers stuck between the keys lol

View attachment 749745
View attachment 749746

And then there's my electronic typewriter. Many a term paper was typed on that thing.
My dad still has his old type writer. Heavy as can be. I used to LOVE typing on it. Just something about a type writer. I love them! That Sears one is a beauty!!!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

View attachment 749745
View attachment 749746

View attachment 749747

I learned to type on a manual. You had to be able to type x number of words per minute before you could go on to an electric.

I have a typewriter in my office. I keep it in case the internet connection goes down that way I can still do loss reports and other forms. It’s come in handy on more than one occasion.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
We used to have an old Olivetti. I have a very heavy strike, so I was not good on it. I also used an old- school electric with correction tape in a job as a receptionist/paraprofessional 15-20 years ago. I used that x correction button often. Luckily one of my superiors/co-workers was the head secretary for the whole school system and was very good on that thing. I used to type 30-35 words a minute, but have lost it in the last several years. Industry standard is 70 of course.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We used to have an old Olivetti. I have a very heavy strike, so I was not good on it. I also used an old- school electric with correction tape in a job as a receptionist/paraprofessional 15-20 years ago. I used that x correction button often. Luckily one of my superiors/co-workers was the head secretary for the whole school system and was very good on that thing. I used to type 30-35 words a minute, but have lost it in the last several years. Industry standard is 70 of course.
We have our employees take a typing test and most of them are below 45 wpm on a 5 minute test. I'm usually between 80-90 wpm, although on monkeytype for 30 seconds or a minute with just words and no punctuation or capitals, I can hit 120-130. But my whole career has involved a significant amount of typing so its just a lot of practice built up over time.

My theory is younger people grew up using computers practically from birth and so likely never had formal teaching on "keyboarding." And some of them are fast but I still think touch typing produces the fastest typists.

While I'm showing my age I should also admit that I learned shorthand in high school and I'm kind of upset I didn't keep up with it. I enjoyed it.

Reactions: BMC and caz16

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022

View attachment 749745
View attachment 749746

View attachment 749747
Yours sears model looks exactly like one of my families' typewriters.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
We have our employees take a typing test and most of them are below 45 wpm on a 5 minute test. I'm usually between 80-90 wpm, although on monkeytype for 30 seconds or a minute with just words and no punctuation or capitals, I can hit 120-130. But my whole career has involved a significant amount of typing so its just a lot of practice built up over time.

My theory is younger people grew up using computers practically from birth and so likely never had formal teaching on "keyboarding." And some of them are fast but I still think touch typing produces the fastest typists.

While I'm showing my age I should also admit that I learned shorthand in high school and I'm kind of upset I didn't keep up with it. I enjoyed it.
Impressive. I do touch type and agree that it produces the fastest typists. However, I have a problem that affects my fine motor skills; so I had to work rather hard to get to 35. Made peace with it, but wish I was faster.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
All this typewriter talk brings back so many memories, very similar to everyone's here. Typing "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" was standard practice....over and over....lol. I averaged 100 wpm and back in the day, a typing test was part of a job interview so you had to be fast and accurate. I still have my parents' portable typewriter in a nice case.

I remember in about 1980 going to Toronto for a week of training on a Xerox word processor. I got a certificate and everything...lol It was so high tech! At that time I worked for Ferranti Packard who developed the "flipping disc" technology for signs at places like the stock exchanges and along highways. I typed up the software and user manuals for their systems on that word processor.

Reactions: BMC and Bruinaura

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

View attachment 749745
View attachment 749746

View attachment 749747
The best thing about those vs. today is at least they don't do braindead automatic spelling changes!! For the life of me I can't find a way to completely stop the automatic spell check / update and find myself having to proof read myself just to make sure the dumb software didn't change and misspell a word or syntax of a phrase. Drives me absolutely nuts.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
1. You have been angry many times. Is there anything you still have that you can't shake off? An incident long ago that you still can think about and over which you can become angry? Tell us about it.
2. Tell us about something that surprised you in the last six months
3. Hey, look, you've had a baby boy! What will you name him?
4. If you had a time machine, and could witness any one event without altering or disturbing it, what would you want to see?
5. What words make you cringe?

1. My brother was born biologically my sister. I spent many nights in jail beating the shit out of high-fiving frat boys that would go after him. Any form of hate I have a very, very difficult time responding rationally to.

2. Me and @MarchysNoseKnows finding a path towards co-existing in harmony in this place.

3. Lately I've been thinking of the name Bo. I also like Billy - not William or Bill, but Billy. I had an uncle Billy that was run over by a train in his 20s, but no connection at least consciously.

4. The demise of the dinosaurs, maybe?

5. Corsi

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
A large number of Mennonites and Amish here have cell phones and we see them using them while behind plow horses in the fields, on their buggies, in the stores....men and women. Apparently they are allowed to use them for business purposes, like having computers in the barns. My hubby used to buy turned poles from an Old Order Mennonite and he had a lathe that was worth a fortune in the barn but no electricity in the house.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
A large number of Mennonites and Amish here have cell phones and we see them using them while behind plow horses in the fields, on their buggies, in the stores....men and women. Apparently they are allowed to use them for business purposes, like having computers in the barns. My hubby used to buy turned poles from an Old Order Mennonite and he had a lathe that was worth a fortune in the barn but no electricity in the house.
When I lived in upstate central NY I used to think it was kinda weird and comical when I would see them inside Lowes with their horse & buggy parked outside.

Reactions: BMC and caz16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad