OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If you're curious about your speed.....monkeytype.com is fun

I learned to type on an IBM Selectric typewriter in high school in the late 80s. Back when you had to use correction tape or one of those little pencil size erasers with the fan brush on the end.

Our teacher had polio and used those crutches that clip onto your arm to get around. If she caught you with your wrists resting on the desk she would tap you under the arm with one of her crutches lol. A lot of kids didn't like her, but she's the reason I learned to type well.

Of course right now I'm using the Swype keyboard on my phone :laugh:

My German teacher had polio and used the same crutches. She used to be able to bang her crutch on a certain point on the floor and make the clock fall off the wall. It would then bang on the wall, hanging from the electrical cord. Used to scare the hell out of the class.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. You have been angry many times. Is there anything you still have that you can't shake off? An incident long ago that you still can think about and over which you can become angry? Tell us about it.
2. Tell us about something that surprised you in the last six months
3. Hey, look, you've had a baby boy! What will you name him?
4. If you had a time machine, and could witness any one event without altering or disturbing it, what would you want to see?
5. What words make you cringe?
Thank you NeelyDan, please don't forget to answer them yourself!

1) There are quite a few. I'll go with 1975 when I was 15 and babysitting two young boys for the summer. They had a pool and they let me have one friend over to swim whenever I liked. One day I invited one of my black friends, the next day they told me I couldn't have friends over anymore because it wasn't safe with the pool. One of the little boys told me later that his father had said .... well you can imagine. When the parents came home that day, I told them I was done, that I don't work for racists. They whined, but who will we get for tomorrow now? I don't care, your problem.

2) When a person who I worked with in 1992/93 texted me and asked to get together. I am so happy to be reconnected with this person. Her cousin is also an ex-coworker and I chat to him regularly, so she got my number from him.

3) Our baby boy name was going to be Daniel Benjamin - we had girls and never used them.

4) I would love to go back to Stonehenge and witness how they greeted the September equinox.

5) Irregardless, "it is what it is", "I could care less". So many more than this....

Question for the people who hate "moist" - how do you describe a moist cake.....lol

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. You have been angry many times. Is there anything you still have that you can't shake off? An incident long ago that you still can think about and over which you can become angry? Tell us about it.
4. If you had a time machine, and could witness any one event without altering or disturbing it, what would you want to see?
The only one I want to answer is #4....

September 9. 1939 Riverside CA Fox Theatre. Double feature of Hawaiian Nights and Beau Geste. After the first movie ended an announcement was made that Beau Geste would not be shown. Instead, a movie was that was four hours plus was going to be shown but no one would be allowed to leave after the movie started. The movie? Gone With the Wind.

Or May 10, 1970.....nuff said.....

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Has anyone else ever found a potentially massive work problem at like 5 PM in the afternoon and then the entire night you're stressed out waiting for a response to your email about it and thinking you're going to get fired but then you get in in the morning and everything is alright?

Not fun
This exact situation about a Russian barcode, but over a weekend for added extra anxiety.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
*insert Tom Hanks typing in You've Got Mail gif here*

The role of an HR professional is to simultaneously look out for employees and the company. If you're good at what you do, this is a very achievable balance. I also don't think there's any point in hiding it - yes, my role is to advocate for employees, but it's also to make sure people (employees, managers, executives) aren't doing things that could get the company in deep doo-doo. In a lot of cases, protecting the company DOES include advocating for the employee.

If a manager comes to me and says they want to fire an employee, unless there's an egregious offense, the answer is almost never "sure, go ahead". Has the manager coached the employee? Is there documentation of those conversations? Have we, as a company, done everything we can to set the employee up for success and clearly communicated what the consequences are for not improving performance/behavior? If someone is getting fired, it should NEVER be a surprise.

Good HR professionals approach performance management this way to benefit the employee and the company. "Pro-employee" - is the employee aware that they are underperforming and aware of the consequences? Have they been provided with written documentation so that we are sure there is no miscommunication? Are we sure this is performance-based, and not an axe to grind or a termination for a discriminatory reason? Have we handled similar situations, well, similarly? "Pro-company" - Do we have all of this documented so if a former employee files suit, we can prove that the termination was legit and not based in discriminatory practices?

Unfortunately, HR is often the messenger when it comes to decisions that people don't like, even though it's not always an HR-specific decision. No raises? Guess what - HR doesn't make that decision unilaterally. Return to office? Don't shoot the messenger, we don't want to be back FT either.

A lot of the "pro-employee" stuff that HR does happens behind closed doors, so I don't expect employees to be aware of that. HR are the folks sitting at the table when it's benefits renewal time, explaining the impact that a significant increase in premium or reduction in services will have on our lowest paid staff. HR is typically the team advocating for raises, even when leaders might not want to give them. A lot of the communications we have, especially as you move up the chain, you have to chalk up to speak your mind and if it doesn't go your way, you need to disagree with the decision but commit to support it (unless, of course, its truly unethical).

I don't expect employees to think that HR's function is to be "for" them, partially because it's not the entirety of the function and the reality is people look for someone to blame when bad things happen. HR is easy to blame for a lot of reasons. If you want a career in HR, it comes with the territory and you need to be prepared for it.

TL;DR...employees are going to think what they're going to think because HR is always the messenger for shitty messages.

(Yes, there are a ton of terrible HR professionals out there, but I've been fortunate to work with really good ones in my career).
Well said.

I am so glad I am not really employee facing anymore. I prefer to stay hidden as much as possible working on various ops projects and legal research. Having been on the front lines of angry employees for 10 years has really taken its toll on me. I don't know how you do it but I bow down to you.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Sitting here waiting for my ten year old ink jet printer to finish printing 98 envelopes for a mailing

165bgRHsluyhW.gif

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Ha!

I’ve never timed myself but I’d say I’m definitely above average. There have been a few times I was working on something on my laptop with my husband in the room and he’s asked if I was just banging on the keys or if I was actually typing.

In high school we had to take typing classes in the computer lab, and Mrs Chaplick made us put boxes over our hands and the keyboard to learn how to type. It was the pits at the time, but turned out to be a useful exercise.
Considering that I spend half my life in front of a computer and keyboard, one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't learn how to touch type. I'm not bad, ~35-40 wpm if I'm focusing, but I could definitely benefit from typing faster. Not surprised you find it to have been beneficial. More beneficial than the algebra we've (almost) all never used since graduating, right?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Considering that I spend half my life in front of a computer and keyboard, one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't learn how to touch type. I'm not bad, ~35-40 wpm if I'm focusing, but I could definitely benefit from typing faster. Not surprised you find it to have been beneficial. More beneficial than the algebra we've (almost) all never used since graduating, right?
I can definitively say that I have used my typing skills waaaay more than my basically nonexistent algebra skills lol. I hated algebra.

Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I can definitively say that I have used my typing skills waaaay more than my basically nonexistent algebra skills lol. I hated algebra.
I loved math. And physics. I'm still a big nerd for physics and Math YouTube channels. (Veritasium, Smarter Every Day, and Mark Rober are some of my favorites). I even occasionally try to relearn some physics, and one of my current books is by Italian theoretical physicist and philosopher Carlo Rovelli.

All that said, we still never use math (unless you're in a STEM field). but an awful lot of us type every day, even if it's only on a hockey message board...

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I had to cheat to pass my high school typing class. In class I could NEVER be accurate enough. So, I made sure I used the same font typewriter I had at home as I did in class. I took the book we were using in class home and did the assignment slowly and accurately. Passed the class but my teacher was highly suspicious.....

I ended up being a data entry clerk my whole working life. My top speed test was 14,000 strokes per hour. I was so proud of myself.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I uses to use a typing thing in computer class. Anyone remember Mavis Beacon?!

I loved thar thing. Taught me how to type fast without looking down. A childhood memory!

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. I can’t think of any. I’m at the point in my life where I try to let all of that go.

2. Wow. 0 for 2. I can’t think of anything.

3. John André II. After my old man.

4. The Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia back in 1787.

5. I’m not going to post them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad