WCSF: St. Louis Blues Vs. Colorado Avalanche | Col leads 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I think our fan base bitches more about the on ice product now than they did 5 years ago.

It's funny, I've observed this a bunch.

Take a team that sucks... do they have any prospects? Insert hopeful/looking for the positives posts about the on ice product, and (likely) over-excitement and expectations of prospects, and the impact they will have, and how good the team will be.

Team that is good? Great? Insert regular posts calling a roster player or two "atrocious" or the worst player in the NHL, yada yada. Insert catastrophizing small set-backs, or even a bad period or game.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Did you see the death threats on his Instagram account that his wife shared? From memory, I believe there were 4.

I'm sorry, but death threats are taken seriously (leading to arrests and potential prosecution), as they should be, as you don't know which one can be real.
As common or not as it may be, I can't imagine how it would feel being a public figure and receiving/seeing such things directed towards me. Yikes.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Those death threats happen literally all the time. I haven’t read anything to suggest they were more legitimate than the usual daily death threats many players get. I think it’s happened a few times this year in the NBA playoffs already. Usually the player has to do something to piss off the other team’s fanbase or contribute to their poor reputation.

You make it sound like box 3 gets checked by itself, absent of the other two. The box 1 and 2 get checked for everyone, and then ignorant, racist people learn Kadri’s name and send him death threats. That’s not to say ‘Kadri was asking for it by being a dirty player with history of intent to injure’ but it’s pretty obvious that Kadri contributed to his own poor reputation, and making himself a household name for all the wrong reasons is never a good idea, but he isn’t a household name because of the color of his skin.
Plenty of ways of taking issue with a player without indulging in racism.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
it’s just so common it’s not talked about that much. Google Kadri death threat and you will find something because one idiot phoned to the police that he would kill Kadri. That’s pretty unique stupidity that caused it to hit the news. But the social media death threats public personalities get is so common and prevalent it’s literally a non story.

You know only one idiot phoned the police making this a story and that public personalities get anonymous death threats on social media all the time right?

So basically, my take is one idiot phoned the police and so this is a story blown out of proportion. Some of you are uniquely ignorant to the amount of racist death threats public personalities get on social media anonymously.

Oh, did one idiot phone the police??

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Did you see the death threats on his Instagram account that his wife shared? From memory, I believe there were 4.

I'm sorry, but death threats are taken seriously (leading to arrests and potential prosecution), as they should be, as you don't know which one can be real.
They are all taken seriously, but this is literally just a microcosm of what all big name players go through.

Yeah we should definitely normalize racist abuse and death threats.
Yeah we should definitely spend all our efforts singling out racist death threats on social media for every hockey player from now on. I don’t wanna a single one not to have its own individual thread.

Plenty of ways of taking issue with a player without indulging in racism.
Agreed. Too bad that literally isn’t possible in the current medium that is social media.

Oh, did one idiot phone the police??
Yeah, literally one idiot phoned the police with a death threat and now this is bigger news than the usual death threats that big name players get on social media. Kind of just proof that social media isn’t real life playing out. When you actually pick up a phone and lose your anonymity, everything changes.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
We saw a taste of the NHLs (attempt at) series extending reffing magic in both of yesterday’s games (period one of the Florida game to set the tone letting Gudas get away with murder and calling a phantom slash on Kucherov late, not the waived goals)

Perron gets off basically free on all his bullshit from yesterday

And the soft slash call on the Avs late + multiple ignored calls on the Blues at the same time in the 3rd

I’m 85% sure the Avs have this series but I’d willingly bet the Blues win tomorrow on a powerplay gwg

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Again though, the distinction needs to be made that this is but a few people and NOT the entire fan base. Generalizations should be left out. That said, to those few in here that have been downplaying or even looking the other way at what's happened, give your heads a good/hard shake because you're part of the problem. Leave hockey on the ice, leave racism in the dwellings of history. Absolutely no place for comments/shit like that in any place in today's day and age.
When a lot of the fan base defends them because it’s Kadri, you can generalize. The mods in this thread are working overtime, just like they were in the GDT

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Again though, the distinction needs to be made that this is but a few people and NOT the entire fan base. Generalizations should be left out. That said, to those few in here that have been downplaying or even looking the other way at what's happened, give your heads a good/hard shake because you're part of the problem. Leave hockey on the ice, leave racism in the dwellings of history. Absolutely no place for comments/shit like that in any place in today's day and age.
I've done my fair share of generalizing, so I do want to apologize to the good Blues fans. Most of us can agree that the people making threats and racist comments are scum, and the people who want to continue to defend them are simply wrong. At this point we're just encouraging the assholes to post more and the normal people to post less.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks. I added a bit more to the post with an edit, as well.

Well said! Likewise, if the Blues were up 3-1, we would probably be seeing it more noticable with Blues fans the pat few days. And of course then you'll have the counter-measure of some feeling the blues fan base (or the avs fanbase in this case) are all cocky or obnoxious, etc. as a blanket statement.

I'm really stoked the Avs are up (obviously). I expected there was a good chance the Blues could give them a strong fight. I expected Colorado to win, but I didn't take the Blues lightly. Binny was indeed playing really well, and in game 1, a few of the things that STL did do well, seemed to really make things a bit easier for Binny, as well. Preventing 'nearly unsaveable' type scoring opportunities very well, which the Avs can be capable of generating a lot of against some teams. Having him out def seems to be hurting them. For my own perspective, considering the Avs' bad luck with goaltender health in the post-season in recent years, it feels kinda like poetic justice or something, or limits my empathy a bit (not that, that actually had anything to do with the blues). Series isn't over yet, either, of course! But obviously really unlikely at this point that the Blues pull it off. It wasn't until game 4 that I started to really feel some comfort.

I miss O'Reilly. I still remember when he and Duchene both made the Avs out of training camp as 18 year olds (RoR being a rare 2nd rounder to do this), and from the start of the season out of the gate, RoR impressed me a lot more than Duchene. I never forgot about that, and for the most part, that sentiment never really changed for me. RoR has been an absolute freaking stud in this series. They got a pretty gross return for him in that trade with Buffalo I think it was.

Do you have any thoughts on the Blues upcoming off-season? As far as what the team will look like next year, or plans/trajectory moving forward? The Avs definitely have a cup contender window that I expect will stay open for some years, but it will be a challenging off-season for Sakic. There is a reasonable chance they lose both of Nichuskin and Kadri to free agency, for starters, which would really sting. They need to figure out their starting goaltender situation going forward again, as well. The team could lose a lot of pieces this summer, but much of their core is locked up long-term, or still have a bit more term left on great deals (Toews & MacKinnon, for example).
As far as this offseason for the Blues, I think it's a little premature to speculate. Don't get me wrong, I think losing Binnington broke the team's spirit in a way and don't see them rallying to win 3 in a row, especially with how shakey Husso has looked. However, I personally don't shift my focus as a fan until the last second ticks off the last period of the last game of the season.

Regardless how the rest of the post season goes, I don't foresee a ton of roster turnover. Most of the Blues core is locked up long term (Saad, Buchnevich, Schenn, Parayko, Faulk, Krug) or RFAs (Thomas, Kyrou, Toropchenko, Brown, Mikkola, Perunovich). Other than Perron (who is a virtual lock to re-sign IMO), Husso is the highest profile UFA, and is likely gone if another team offers him a starter's salary. Biggest decisions are what to do with Tarasenko & ROR (1 year left $7.5M for each). There's a small chance Tarasenko gets traded (hopefully not, but it's possible). Very likely ROR is re-signed IMO. Leddy has been a really good fit, think they will figure out a way to re-sign him as well.

At this point we're just encouraging the assholes to post more and the normal people to post less.
The general feeling among Blues fans on this forum whose opinions I respect is that it's not worth even reading the main playoff boards right now, much less posting here. The main playoff board is always a bit of a shit show, but I personally don't remember it being quite this bad in the past. Frankly, it's become pretty insufferable. There's what, seven pages of people completely trashing the Blues team/fanbase/organization/city because of a play where Perron didn't hit someone with his elbow? I forget how many pages of the same stuff because Berube chose not to comment on peoples social media posts.

Three rules I try to live by: win with class, lose with dignity, don't say anything behind anyone's back you wouldn't say to their face. That last one applies to posting online for me as well. We could all probably use a little more of all three.

Reactions: TheTechNoir
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad