Pre-Game Talk: WCSF | Game 5 | Vancouver Canucks @ Vegas Golden Knights | Sep 1 | 6:45PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
WHEN: September 1, 6:45PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Place, Edmonton, AB
TV: Sportsnet Pacific, NBCSN
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Golden Knights Lead Series 3-1

The Canucks have come back from being down 3-1 in a series more than any other team in NHL History.

1992, vs. Winnipeg

57CAE203-15D9-4F7A-B0C8-8B80B271732A.jpeg

1994 vs. Calgary
C0B84A33-E776-468E-BAD7-5760AF7CCFAF.jpeg

2003 vs. St. Louis

47F2BBAE-5A52-466F-B289-D7571F81A817.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Pearson - Pettersson - Toffoli
Boeser - Horvat - Miller
Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter
Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Fantenberg - Stecher

Markstrom

Canucks’ Top Scorers:
Elias Pettersson - 14GP, 6G, 11A, 17Pts
JT Miller - 14GP, 5G, 9A, 14Pts
Quinn Hughes - 13GP, 1G, 12A, 13Pts

Vegas Golden Knights’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed):

Pacioretty - Karlsson - Stone
Marchessault - Stastny - Smith
Cousins - Roy - Tuch
Carrier - Stephenson - Reaves

McNabb - Schmidt
Martinez - Theodore
Merrill - Whitecloud

Lehner

Golden Knights’ Top Scorers:
Mark Stone - 12GP, 6G, 8A, 14Pts
Shea Theodore - 12GP, 4G, 10A, 14Pts
Reilly Smith - 12GP, 4G, 7A, 11Pts

Let’s keep the Dadrock Playoffs Going! Never Say Die!
3E410C29-8640-41FC-A5CC-39EB36C4630A.jpeg

OPERATION 19 WINS:

Wins 1-3 vs. Minnesota:

Wins 4-7 vs. St. Louis:

Win 8 vs. Vegas:

Relax, have fun, and Go Canucks Go!​

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Vegas is the best team left in the playoffs so there is no shame here. Tough last night with Motte having two go through him and also through Markstrom.....there may well be something to back to backs and if Demko was trusted enough perhaps he would be in just as a number of other teams have done on back to backs.

Canucks are on the right path.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
WHEN: September 1, 6:45PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Place, Edmonton, AB
TV: Sportsnet Pacific, NBCSN
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Golden Knights Lead Series 3-1

The Canucks have come back from being down 3-1 in a series more than any other team in NHL History.

1992, vs. Winnipeg

View attachment 365079

1994 vs. Calgary
View attachment 365080

2003 vs. St. Louis

View attachment 365081

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Pearson - Pettersson - Toffoli
Boeser - Horvat - Miller
Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter
Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Fantenberg - Stecher

Markstrom

Canucks’ Top Scorers:
Elias Pettersson - 14GP, 6G, 11A, 17Pts
JT Miller - 14GP, 5G, 9A, 14Pts
Quinn Hughes - 13GP, 1G, 12A, 13Pts

Vegas Golden Knights’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed):

Pacioretty - Karlsson - Stone
Marchessault - Stastny - Smith
Cousins - Roy - Tuch
Carrier - Stephenson - Reaves

McNabb - Schmidt
Martinez - Theodore
Merrill - Whitecloud

Lehner

Golden Knights’ Top Scorers:
Mark Stone - 12GP, 6G, 8A, 14Pts
Shea Theodore - 12GP, 4G, 10A, 14Pts
Reilly Smith - 12GP, 4G, 7A, 11Pts

Let’s keep the Dadrock Playoffs Going! Never Say Die!
View attachment 365083

OPERATION 19 WINS:

Wins 1-3 vs. Minnesota:

Wins 4-7 vs. St. Louis:

Win 8 vs. Vegas:

Relax, have fun, and Go Canucks Go!​

Also came back a second time in '94 to force a game 7 against a totally unfairly stacked Rangers team, which game went down to the wire. Built around a then future HHoFer and outstanding goaltending.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also came back a second time in '94 to force a game 7 against a totally unfairly stacked Rangers team, which game went down to the wire. Built around a then future HHoFer and outstanding goaltending.

The Canucks are actually one of only 2 professional sports teams in North America to have pulled off the 3-1 comeback three seperate times. The Boston Red Sox of the MLB is the other team.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This probably should have gone in the post game thread but as I am fashionabley late...

people are being way to hard on Jake, he played fine. Sure he missed a great chance but even Petterson missed a breakaway.

Gaudette was fine as three C, and easily our best option. Sure he has issues defensively. Sutter was godawful and any talk of him at 3C is laughable. Sutter made massive mistakes that lead to goals against.

Erikisson has been proved to not have the speed to play in this series.

would go with this
Miller Horvat Boeser
Pearson Petterson Toffoli
Motte Gaudette Virtanen
Mac Beagle Bailey <— barely play only when top 9 needs gas, double shift Petterson and Bo on bottom lines

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The Canucks are actually one of only 2 professional sports teams in North America to have pulled off the 3-1 comeback three seperate times. The Boston Red Sox of the MLB is the other team.

I loved both of these... mainly cause I hated the Yankees, not sure anymore...

Also didn’t the bruins blow a 3-0 lead as did the Yankees? I don’t fully remember.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This probably should have gone in the post game thread but as I am fashionabley late...

people are being way to hard on Jake, he played fine. Sure he missed a great chance but even Petterson missed a breakaway.

Gaudette was fine as three C, and easily our best option. Sure he has issues defensively. Sutter was godawful and any talk of him at 3C is laughable. Sutter made massive mistakes that lead to goals against.

Erikisson has been proved to not have the speed to play in this series.

would go with this
Miller Horvat Boeser
Pearson Petterson Toffoli
Motte Gaudette Virtanen
Mac Beagle Bailey <— barely play only when top 9 needs gas, double shift Petterson and Bo on bottom lines

Agreed on all of this. I am questionable about Gaudette; he's largely been ineffective (reaching Eriksson level of no points) but honestly what options do we have?

I also want Juolevi to be thrown in just so we get a taste of his puck movement.

Edler Myers <-- Man after that showing, Myers is still injured and i'm not sure if this is a good idea
Juolevi Tanev
Hughes Benn

Too wild?

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Most disappointing in virtanen and Gaudette. They were needed for secondary scoring. That’s the difference in the series.. Canucks get absolutely nothing from their 3rd and 4th line.. 0 points is unacceptable. Virtanen had so many chances but he just miss the net,

Reactions: Indiana and xtr3m

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I think Virtanen and Gaudette have been good.

Gaudette has been all over the ice, being involved, getting to the right places and getting opportunities. He's been hard on the boards and has been working every shift. His defensive zone game has been passable -- needs work, but no egregious errors. He's a net positive for me. I take his game over Sutter's 10 times out of 10.

Virtanen gets a lot of flak on these boards, but if you watch him play he does a lot of things right. His combination of size and speed is difficult for other teams -- you can see they know when he's coming in for the forecheck and they'll rush to get the puck away. He makes a lot of nice plays entering the zone -- again, with his speed the other team is always backing up a little bit and giving him some more time and space. It would have been nice if he had some more patience on that chance, but he's a young middle 6 player -- this is what you get. There will be ups and downs, and inconsistency -- but if he's skating hard and getting involved on the boards (he could do a bit better at that) -- he's a valuable player.

For their cap hits, these are two guys I would not be complaining about. These are the kinds of players we'll need to succeed moving forward. If they're surrounded by better players, they will put up points.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Virtanen and Gaudette have been good.

Gaudette has been all over the ice, being involved, getting to the right places and getting opportunities. He's been hard on the boards and has been working every shift. His defensive zone game has been passable -- needs work, but no egregious errors. He's a net positive for me. I take his game over Sutter's 10 times out of 10.

Virtanen gets a lot of flak on these boards, but if you watch him play he does a lot of things right. His combination of size and speed is difficult for other teams -- you can see they know when he's coming in for the forecheck and they'll rush to get the puck away. He makes a lot of nice plays entering the zone -- again, with his speed the other team is always backing up a little bit and giving him some more time and space. It would have been nice if he had some more patience on that chance, but he's a young middle 6 player -- this is what you get. There will be ups and downs, and inconsistency -- but if he's skating hard and getting involved on the boards (he could do a bit better at that) -- he's a valuable player.

For their cap hits, these are two guys I would not be complaining about. These are the kinds of players we'll need to succeed moving forward. If they're surrounded by better players, they will put up points.

I'll agree that Virtanen and Gaudette aren't 100% deserving of the flak being thrown their way. Away from the puck they've been solid, and Gaudette in particular has really forechecked hard and thrown his weight around.

But given that both guys were on pace for 40+ points in the regular season, it's tough that they've got 1 goal between them in the playoffs so far. That secondary scoring punch is so badly needed. Our top guys have been delivering as required, but without depth contributions, it's tough to win in the playoffs.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I like Boeser in the bottom 6, but he needs to be utilized a bit better on the PP.

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli
Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen
Motte-Gaudette-Boeser
Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

We need quick passes, support and puck movement. On the Toffoli goal we saw that give and gos will break down this Vegas defense. They attack the puck carrier and focus on the puck. You need to make that work against them.

Use the back to backs game 6 & 7 against De Boer. He's going to try to play his lineup evenly throughout.

We'll probably need Markstrom to steal a game for us at some point, but game 5 needs to be an onslaught. 60 minutes of tight, aggressive hockey. The back to backs favor us here. Just win game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad