WCSF Game 5 | Nashville @ St. Louis | 7:00 PM CT | CBC, TVAS, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Blues did very well, Preds problem was in the first period and a half where they were inept at passing the puck through the neutral zone. Credit the blues for throwing in a different scheme and chasing harder on the forecheck but it was more the Preds trying to force things through the zone that caused all the odd man rushes and problems. Preds D needs to be better on breakout passing they were woeful for most of the game when handling the puck with long passes.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Blues did very well, Preds problem was in the first period and a half where they were inept at passing the puck through the neutral zone. Credit the blues for throwing in a different scheme and chasing harder on the forecheck but it was more the Preds trying to force things through the zone that caused all the odd man rushes and problems. Preds D needs to be better on breakout passing they were woeful for most of the game when handling the puck with long passes.

I have to agree with you.

The short version is that the Blues wanted it more.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The failure to close this out will come back to bite the Predators they played with no desire in this one. They either play with desperation Sunday or it's the last hockey game in Nashville until October.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The failure to close this out will come back to bite the Predators they played with no desire in this one. They either play with desperation Sunday or it's the last hockey game in Nashville until October.

That's pretty melodramatic, but I do think the pressure is on the Preds now. They won't want to go back to St Louis.

SanFranBluesFan

Apr 16, 2017
I mean I'm a Blues fan, but the idea of PK Subban not being called a game breaker is laughable. Game 1 alone should have shown that.

Sure if you mean ruining the game by laying on people. Clumsiest slowest to get up dude in the NHL, crazy how he always ends up falling directly on people

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Perhaps.

That said, each of the last 3 seasons for the Blues have ended on enemy ice in game 6.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Seems to me that these two teams are fairly evenly matched. The team that wins is usually the team that gets the best goaltending or doesn't make a mistake in their defensive zone. Blues stole a series with defense and goaltending in the first round. This series, a couple of games could have flipped. Officiating has been inconsistent and the Preds have been better at taking advantage of their chances.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I think that's a bit overdramatic. The Blues played well, the Preds were mediocre, but it was still a 2-1 game with both goals going into a pretty open net off a deflection/rebound. Preds weren't outclassed, Blues wanted it more and made the plays necessary to win the game. I still like the Preds chances in either of these last two games.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Ultimately I just don't think they have the forward weapons. The D won't play lights out every time.

The very same is true with the Blues. Tarasenko, Schwartz, a hobbled Steen who didn't even play tonight, and then....?

For the Blues it's Allen or bust this year, and while I love how he has played, I don't see this run lasting even if we get past Nashville.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seemed like a pretty even game again, but Josi made a couple of really dumb decisions and the Blues capitalized on them. The Preds didn't have the killer instinct that they should've and the Blues didn't seem to have the sense of urgency that they should've. Because of that, it didn't really feel like an elimination game and you had a sense that it would go the home team's way and this series would go to Game 6.

I can see this going 7. Nashville doesn't have a game breaker. Keep the D in check? Win.

You keep repeating things that you want to believe are true more than are actually true. You would think that the Blues winning tonight without Tarasenko having a point and the Preds beating the Hawks with forward scoring and without a "game breaker," not to mention leading this series without a game breaker, would inform you that things aren't as simple as you're portraying them.

JamestheSame

Apr 18, 2012
Can't wait for Sunday. Preds better come out firing. If this goes to secen, no telling what will happen.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I think that they'll play better on Sunday simply because it's a home game. That might be enough, since these games are so close, but playing with some killer instinct or desperation to avoid a Game 7 would certainly help even more.

You've got a pretty narrow definition of 'gamebreaker' then. Arvidsson notched 30 goals this year. He's a very good and very dynamic young player.

He's narrowly defining "game breaker" to precisely what his team has so that he can believe that his team has a bigger advantage than it really does. While the Preds don't have a 40-goal scorer like Tarasenko, not having one is hardly a disadvantage in the playoffs, where balanced scoring tends to be more important.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Given how tight this series has been, I wouldn't be shocked if we go 7.

Plus, the Blues have played in nothing but close games these playoffs.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Blues will need a perfect game on Sunday and a functional power play unit. One mistake or too many blown PPs and they are done. Bridgestone Arena is a pressure cooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad