GDT: WCSF | Game 5 | Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks | 8:00 PM EST | NBC

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Yeah, I'm confused about the people seeing the Abby penalty as the most horriblest stupidest penalty evar!

Bolland went after Datsyuk with his stick after the whistle. You typically get a get-out-of-jail-free card to get him back once, especially when a star player is the one gone after.

I have no problem with what Abby did.
I hope Babcock has a problem with what Abby did. A retaliation with a stick is gonna be called 9x out of 10. Abby has already cost us more than he contributed. I wish Bert or Sam were in playoff shape. Then he could sit.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I hope Babcock has a problem with what Abby did. A retaliation with a stick is gonna be called 9x out of 10. Abby has already cost us more than he contributed. I wish Bert or Sam were in playoff shape. Then he could sit.

Yep. If Abby would have gotten in Bolland's face or shoved him he might have got away with it. Spearing with the stick is gonna get you everytime. Bolland was being a ******* and deserved it but it ends up hurting us

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Abby's penalty was really stupid but the ref definitely should have given Bolland at least 4 for that added spear after he tripped Pav.

I don't think officiating played much part in the game. My biggest problem with refs is they are so inconsistent

refs will almost never call a double minor in a playoff game but they are very strict about retaliation because they dont want things get out of their control.

the problem with Abby's penalty was timing. That was probably the worst time to take a penalty. Wings were trailing 2-1 and trying to survive the onslaught. Giving Hawks a PP at that point was not the smartest thing to do.

I agree that it would have been fine in a different circumstance. I would have no problem if Abby took such penalty in last minute of the blowout game.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
Yeah, I'm confused about the people seeing the Abby penalty as the most horriblest stupidest penalty evar!

Bolland went after Datsyuk with his stick after the whistle. You typically get a get-out-of-jail-free card to get him back once, especially when a star player is the one gone after.

I only thought it was stupid because if you're going to do something like that you may as well try to make it worth your while.

Yzerberg

May 6, 2013
Western Kentucky

He went after Bolland while two officials were trying to get him off the ice. I agree with some other post that Bolland should've got an extra minor but still-Not the time to retaliate. It was a stupid penalty and the game turned at that moment.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This series reminds me of the Dallas series in '08, I'd never say Chicago couldn't make a comeback, but this series was never ending in 5 games.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 13 min
Viewing levels are low on Saturday, but Wings/Hawks Game 5 was the highest-rated program among Adults 18-49 in network primetime.

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 10 min
Game 5 drew a 14.7 in Detroit, and an 11.4 in Chicago. Both were the highest ratings ever for a second round game on NBC in those markets.

we like our team*

bolland barely touched him lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 13 min
Viewing levels are low on Saturday, but Wings/Hawks Game 5 was the highest-rated program among Adults 18-49 in network primetime.

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 10 min
Game 5 drew a 14.7 in Detroit, and an 11.4 in Chicago. Both were the highest ratings ever for a second round game on NBC in those markets.

What's our record for weekend games broadcast on national TV?

Seems like we lost every time...

Shawn Lutz

Oct 15, 2011
Rockwall TX

Undisciplined PIM's in a crucial playoff game are unexcused. Any player with a brain knows the refs always get the retaliatory guy, not the first one. I do have a major problem with Abdelkader taking a foolish penalty which negated a needed power play. Adbelkader has the hockey IQ of a brick. He's an extremely hard worker and forechecker with little skill. His purpose is to bust ass, hit, retrieve the puck for the real top 6 forwards...he's a 3rd-4th liner on every team in the league. We have to be much smarter than that ans Abbys penalty was just flat out dumb and no other way to justify it. We were going on the PP, Datsuyk can taker of himself and a little post whistle stick work isn't going to bother him. Abby should have taken the number and repaid the favor within the rules of the game.

crashman

The Hawks were the better team for the entire game. I just hope Kronwall wasn't hurt too bad when he took that big check, it didn't look good afterwards.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
i saw that coming. the wings success is based on a ultra defensive system. datsyuk is used as a 3rd defender and has to cover mediocre player vs opponents top lines. just pay attention where he is when he gets the puck to carry it out of the zone. hard to score when you have to play a 5vs5 penalty killing vs the opponents top lines all game long. i would be interested how much time he is spending in our zone and how much time in opponents zone. nevertheless he is a danger to any other team and they have 2 people around him when he gets the chance to go to the offensive zone. plus he has to play with garbage only if not on a line with zetterberg. but this is babcocks tactics. shut downopponents top line with garbage leaves more player for attacking the opponents less talented lines.

you can find Zetterbergs stats on the stats sheet here:
toews 5gp 2points -2
perry 7gp 2 points +-0

next to howard and Zetterberg he is the mvp on this team.

Fixed it for you, other that that I fully agree with your post. This game the Wings was outplayed by a fair margin, team will be fueled for the game at home. I think they will win and with big games by both Z and Pavel.

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This series reminds me of the Dallas series in '08, I'd never say Chicago couldn't make a comeback, but this series was never ending in 5 games.

Just an all around terrible comparison, tbh.

Dallas was a fluke that had no chance of beating us from the start.. the Hawks are a legitimate force.

we like our team*

i think they'll play much better in game 6 with babcock getting the matchups he wants

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Did anyone really think Detroit was going to beat Chicago four times in a row? The Wings shied away from what has brought them success in this series, physicality and getting pucks to the net. Didn't help Chicago looked two steps ahead of Detroit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Game 5 looked just like Game 1. They outskated us all game, and our breakout was terrible.

Last time Babcock made great adjustments and we came back way better.

Also it should be noted having the changes at home gives us a significant advantage in this series.

I have a lot of confidence we will close this series out with the next game.

Aug 6, 2012
Undisciplined PIM's in a crucial playoff game are unexcused. Any player with a brain knows the refs always get the retaliatory guy, not the first one. I do have a major problem with Abdelkader taking a foolish penalty which negated a needed power play. Adbelkader has the hockey IQ of a brick. He's an extremely hard worker and forechecker with little skill. His purpose is to bust ass, hit, retrieve the puck for the real top 6 forwards...he's a 3rd-4th liner on every team in the league. We have to be much smarter than that ans Abbys penalty was just flat out dumb and no other way to justify it. We were going on the PP, Datsuyk can taker of himself and a little post whistle stick work isn't going to bother him. Abby should have taken the number and repaid the favor within the rules of the game.

We can complain about Abby all we want for his really stupid penalty but its not like we were going to win either way.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
The Hawks were the better team for the entire game. I just hope Kronwall wasn't hurt too bad when he took that big check, it didn't look good afterwards.

FYI:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 29m
Red Wings' Niklas Kronwall fine after taking huge hit, escapes with 'bumps,

55 said he will be ready to go on Monday.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
Did anyone really think Detroit was going to beat Chicago four times in a row? The Wings shied away from what has brought them success in this series, physicality and getting pucks to the net. Didn't help Chicago looked two steps ahead of Detroit.

actually i did. i could see the wings beating chicago when they would have played like the last 3 games. brutal defense and getting the fluke leading goal.
this time we didnt get the leading goal. thats it. and remember the datsyuk post hit. with 1-1 we would have a different game.
but i am convinced they win on monday. cant have 2 bad luck game days in a row.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
FYI:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 29m
Red Wings' Niklas Kronwall fine after taking huge hit, escapes with 'bumps,

55 said he will be ready to go on Monday.

Has Kronner ever been hurt? I can't remember him missing a game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad