GDT: WCSF | Game 3 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | Aug 29 | 6:45PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
WHEN: August 29th, 6:45PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Place, Edmonton, AB
TV: Sportsnet Pacific, NBCSN
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Best of Seven Series Tied 1-1

AB81CBB9-CEB7-40D7-8724-AF1C901829D4.png

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Pearson - Pettersson - Toffoli
Boeser - Horvat - Miller
Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter
Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

Edler - Stecher
Hughes - Tanev
Fantenberg - Benn

Markstrom

Canucks’ Top Scorers:
Elias Pettersson - 12GP, 5G, 11A, 16Pts
JT Miller - 12GP, 5G, 6A, 11Pts
Quinn Hughes - 12GP, 1G, 10A, 11Pts

Vegas Golden Knights’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed):

Pacioretty - Karlsson - Stone
Marchessault - Stastny - Smith
Cousins - Roy - Tuch
Carrier - Stephenson - Reaves

McNabb - Schmidt
Martinez - Theodore
Holden - Whitecloud

Lehner

Golden Knights’ Top Scorers:
Shea Theodore - 10GP, 4G, 7A, 11Pts
Mark Stone - 10GP, 5G, 5A, 10Pts
Reilly Smith - 10GP, 4G, 6A, 10Pts

OPERATION 19 WINS:

Win 1:

Win 2:

Win 3:

Win 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyCHZR4w-94

Win 5:
https://youtu.be/dWnuz68ImNU

Win 6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLo6Q6J7a_4

Win 7:
https://youtu.be/IHl-gLo1cYo

Win 8:
https://youtu.be/36iQcydHHiQ

Notes in Advance of Game 3:
Canucks F Micheal Ferland is unfit to play.
Canucks D Tyler Myers is unfit to play. He is rumoured to be targeting a “mid-series” return.

Moderator’s Note:
Hopefully this is the start of a long, fun run for the fans here to enjoy together. I just want to remind everyone of some rules of decorum before we get underway - treat each other with respect, and please report any posts that you feel violate the Site Rules rather than replying to them. Also, not that it should need repeating at this point - using this thread or this board to cheer against the Canucks is trolling and will be treated accordingly.

Relax, have fun, and Go Canucks Go!​

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
A comment on the Vezina trophy. I have seen remarks like "if we win the cup Markstrom deserves the Vezina." Unlikely.

1 - Markstrom is not one of the finalists so he can't win.

2 - The vezina is based on regular season play, has nothing to do with the playoffs.

If we were to win the SC, It would be hard to choose between Petey and Marky. And for that matter Hughes, Horvat and Miller would be in the discussion as well.

edit - Horvat leading the league in goals. Petey and Hughes in PP assists. Petey in PP points. Hughes leading D men in PP assists. etc.

Oh and Demko is leading the entire league in save %.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
PGT was closed so just posting thoughts from Game 2 here:

- First off, difference in our energy level from last game was night and day. The Canucks were much quicker to loose pucks and actually won their fair share of puck battles.

- Glad we finally beat Vegas in regulation for the first time! It was getting annoying.

- Loved our forecheck in how it consistently put pressure on the Vegas D-men throughout the first half of the game and generated offensive zone time as a result. Part of this was because they were a lot more consistent in putting speed on their dump-ins, making life better for whichever F1 was going in. Puck support coming out of our own end was better too. VAN continues to be opportunistic on creating offense off turnovers at 5v5 (mostly in the OZ/NZ) but need to better withstand some of the Golden Knights' pushes. The 1st and 3rd periods were positives for us at 5v5, but the 2nd was ugly.

- We're looking at going into the 3rd tied or maybe even down if Marky wasn't an absolute brick wall in the latter half of the 2nd. Wonder how long he can keep having 30+ save nights before he starts to burn out...

- Virtanen still looks lost at times in the O-zone: there was a sequence at 14:30 of the 2nd where he had more time than he thought and could've skated the puck deeper as Miller was covering back near the blueline. Nonetheless, he still drives possession and should be getting more than 9-10 mins/game. LOL'ed hard at him getting under Tuch's skin late in the 3rd - this is where you can see he might have a bit of an agitating side to him. JV hasn't shown it often, yet he has potential especially if he combines that with some timely body checks on top.

- Fantenberg and Benn may be physical and "good in their own end" and all that but they sure struggle at moving the puck cleanly. They got crushed tonight in possession.

- Miller's such a gamer. Playing hurt but still a key part of the offense, but sometimes I wish he wouldn't try to rush through 3 opponents all by himself... Though not overly huge, he's fiercely competitive physically and really knows how to use his size to his advantage all over the ice - one thing that JV should emulate more of.

- What a game from EP. Not only in scoring but his defensive positioning, effort in his own end and all the little stuff he does to facilitate zone exits. His skill's otherworldly of course, but I'm continually more impressed by his sheer intelligence and drive to be better. Did notice he got hit with 5:17 to go in the 3rd when Smith stepped up on him in the neutral zone after he was caught admiring his pass to Hughes - could've been dangerous even if it was shoulder-on-shoulder; hopefully he's more mindful of that in future considering he's already gotten a concussion before.

- Boeser barely played tonight... makes you wonder if he's playing hurt.

- Stecher continues to play well, not only in moving the puck but actually maintaining a tight gap on opponents in the neutral zone, which was key in stopping some of their rushes. His pairing with Edler - whose veteran savvy showed - continues to carry the defensive workload and shone tonight in pushing possession against the Golden Knights. They killed it against VGK's 2nd line especially.

- Wish they'd load up PP1 with Boeser and Toffoli on it so they'd have 2 right shots - did they not learn anything from Game 6 against STL? Also must do a better job of preventing passes across the slot on the PK.

- Green's really trying to hide Hughes at ES. Also noticed Horvat was being subbed in for Gaudette on D-zone draws. In these playoffs, by TOI the Beagle line is now effectively the 3rd line... which isn't exactly a good thing but is a natural conclusion to what Green was already doing in the regular season. Motte/Beagle/Sutter shouldn't be playing more than EP at 5v5 too.

- Noticed McNabb had problems with his positional awareness throughout this game. Seems to be a passenger as Schmidt is the one who really carries that pairing and might actually be a weakness which we can potentially exploit defensively.

- Boeser's delay of game midway through the 2nd period was absolute BS. Why isn't the league allowing reviews of those? Edler's penalty with 2:50 left in the 3rd was soft AF too.

- Dude sitting next to McPhee in the press box needs to learn how to wear a ****ing mask.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I expect that Vegas will paint a target as big as the Ritz on Petey's back. I really, really didn't like what Reilly Smith tried/didn't try to do on that hit in the third. I am all about the benefit of the doubt, but I saw dirty intent in his approach and in his body language. I would not be even mildly surprised to see Vegas go out of their way to hit and abuse #40 on Thursday.

I understand Petey was obsessed with The Last Dance documentary. So, he needs to do what he saw Jordan do when the Pistons beat the sh*t out of him. He needs to tough it out, and continue scoring circles around them with his superior skill. He who laughs last, after all.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I expect that Vegas will paint a target as big as the Ritz on Petey's back. I really, really didn't like what Reilly Smith tried/didn't try to do on that hit in the third. I am all about the benefit of the doubt, but I saw dirty intent in his approach and in his body language. I would not be even mildly surprised to see them go out of their way to hit and abuse him.

I understand Petey was obsessed with The Last Dance documentary. So, Petey needs to do what he saw Jordan do when the Pistons beat the sh*t out of him. He needs to tough it out, and continue scoring circles around them with his superior skill. He who laughs last, after all.

Pettersson has shown a great ability to adapt and fight through the crap in each series so far, with last night being the latest example. You’re right that Vegas will be taking runs at him, but they already have as St. Louis and Minnesota did before them. Hope he keeps his head up and keeps slipping as many of those runs as he can - but the refs need to keep the opposition honest, too (fool’s hope, I know)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Hughes and EP are taking a beating, and its going to continue all the way, as far as they go. It looks like we can play with anyone, so its pretty much a crap shoot on every match up so far.

This is why I want Podkolzin and Tryamkin, they are built for this stuff.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I expect that Vegas will paint a target as big as the Ritz on Petey's back. I really, really didn't like what Reilly Smith tried/didn't try to do on that hit in the third. I am all about the benefit of the doubt, but I saw dirty intent in his approach and in his body language. I would not be even mildly surprised to see Vegas go out of their way to hit and abuse #40 on Thursday.

I understand Petey was obsessed with The Last Dance documentary. So, he needs to do what he saw Jordan do when the Pistons beat the sh*t out of him. He needs to tough it out, and continue scoring circles around them with his superior skill. He who laughs last, after all.

That hit had all sorts of nasty potential. I was seething after it. Petey took it well and just bounced off it, but the style of hit was dangerous. Really hope the Canucks bench took notice of that. Knights don't seem to be as heavy with their hits as the Blues but I've seen more than a few chincy nasty moves.

Reactions: Indiana

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
PGT was closed so just posting thoughts from Game 2 here:

- First off, difference in our energy level from last game was night and day. The Canucks were much quicker to loose pucks and actually won their fair share of puck battles.

- Glad we finally beat Vegas in regulation for the first time! It was getting annoying.

- Loved our forecheck in how it consistently put pressure on the Vegas D-men throughout the first half of the game and generated offensive zone time as a result. Part of this was because they were a lot more consistent in putting speed on their dump-ins, making life better for whichever F1 was going in. Puck support coming out of our own end was better too. VAN continues to be opportunistic on creating offense off turnovers at 5v5 (mostly in the OZ/NZ) but need to better withstand some of the Golden Knights' pushes. The 1st and 3rd periods were positives for us at 5v5, but the 2nd was ugly.

- We're looking at going into the 3rd tied or maybe even down if Marky wasn't an absolute brick wall in the latter half of the 2nd. Wonder how long he can keep having 30+ save nights before he starts to burn out...

- Virtanen still looks lost at times in the O-zone: there was a sequence at 14:30 of the 2nd where he had more time than he thought and could've skated the puck deeper as Miller was covering back near the blueline. Nonetheless, he still drives possession and should be getting more than 9-10 mins/game. LOL'ed hard at him getting under Tuch's skin late in the 3rd - this is where you can see he might have a bit of an agitating side to him. JV hasn't shown it often, yet he has potential especially if he combines that with some timely body checks on top.

- Fantenberg and Benn may be physical and "good in their own end" and all that but they sure struggle at moving the puck cleanly. They got crushed tonight in possession.

- Miller's such a gamer. Playing hurt but still a key part of the offense, but sometimes I wish he wouldn't try to rush through 3 opponents all by himself... Though not overly huge, he's fiercely competitive physically and really knows how to use his size to his advantage all over the ice - one thing that JV should emulate more of.

- What a game from EP. Not only in scoring but his defensive positioning, effort in his own end and all the little stuff he does to facilitate zone exits. His skill's otherworldly of course, but I'm continually more impressed by his sheer intelligence and drive to be better. Did notice he got hit with 5:17 to go in the 3rd when Smith stepped up on him in the neutral zone after he was caught admiring his pass to Hughes - could've been dangerous even if it was shoulder-on-shoulder; hopefully he's more mindful of that in future considering he's already gotten a concussion before.

- Boeser barely played tonight... makes you wonder if he's playing hurt.

- Stecher continues to play well, not only in moving the puck but actually maintaining a tight gap on opponents in the neutral zone, which was key in stopping some of their rushes. His pairing with Edler - whose veteran savvy showed - continues to carry the defensive workload and shone tonight in pushing possession against the Golden Knights. They killed it against VGK's 2nd line especially.

- Wish they'd load up PP1 with Boeser and Toffoli on it so they'd have 2 right shots - did they not learn anything from Game 6 against STL? Also must do a better job of preventing passes across the slot on the PK.

- Green's really trying to hide Hughes at ES. Also noticed Horvat was being subbed in for Gaudette on D-zone draws. In these playoffs, by TOI the Beagle line is now effectively the 3rd line... which isn't exactly a good thing but is a natural conclusion to what Green was already doing in the regular season. Motte/Beagle/Sutter shouldn't be playing more than EP at 5v5 too.

- Noticed McNabb had problems with his positional awareness throughout this game. Seems to be a passenger as Schmidt is the one who really carries that pairing and might actually be a weakness which we can potentially exploit defensively.

- Boeser's delay of game midway through the 2nd period was absolute BS. Why isn't the league allowing reviews of those? Edler's penalty with 2:50 left in the 3rd was soft AF too.

- Dude sitting next to McPhee in the press box needs to learn how to wear a ****ing mask.
good post and i agree with most. Some thoughts

Touching on the ice time thing it's really just a matter of 10 pps for Vegas and protecting a lead to why it was skewed. Boeser is still learning to be strong on pucks and make sure they get in and out. He struggled in our zone a couple times and then he started to get managed by Green is all. I don"t think he's hurt but imagine they all are banged up at this stage to certain degrees. Hughes Tanev and Miller are the most noticeable for me

On the PP... who are you advocating comes out for Boeser? i dont think that makes much sense when Miller and Horvat are so vital at entries and net presence. But i did like the Boeser one timer against St.Lou also. Don't feel it's an issue anyway but it could be if Miller cant get power on his shot.

Really like what you said about Petey and targetting him. It's absolute trash that the refs gave Vegas that much leniency this early in the series to follow through late with dirty crap. I hate being a whiner about refs but that Sutherland history that was touched on and the mistakes that Burke touched on in the 2nd intermission and the slew foot and late hits by Smith with a stick to the face are critical flaws and are allowing teams an unfair advantage that may cost us a series......it needs to stop. It's also ironic that as we go further and it's been established that we can murder teams on the PP that the refs started this series calling very little of the interference that they did early in the playoffs. The NHL looks so biased and manged sometimes towards these power broker NHL teams from the US.
Anyways...just be consistent, protect the players(especially the stars) from late dirty crap and don't make idiotic mistakes like the glass and out call....oh and lets flood social media with this Sutherland thing. He must be Ron McLean's boyfriend or something its eerie how many examples of defining pathetic moments he's been associated with....done rant.

As good as Vegas is they also have a lot of weaknesses that we can potentially exploit. You touched on McNabb who is a solid player but as a feature player is out of his depth and i also believe Holden and Whitecloud are not very good if we can make them turn and put them under pressure. If they go to Fleury and he has an off game that could really get in their heads also

In net we have an advantage and at centre ice is where Travis has to be driving home that Bo and Petey can win this series. Stastny has been declining for sometime now and Karlsson is a solid player but our 2 top centres can exploit their superiority over these 2 guys and did last game. On the Wings it's almost a saw off with Toffoli back and if Myers could play and not struggle with the intensity and fore check jumping in to the pressure that could be a game changer as well. Hughes and Tanev are playing banged up and the Fanta Benn pairings are what the Knights are going after. Getting the good Myers version would be huge for our speed on the back end and being able to handle Stone and Tuch down low. Fanta and Benn are murdering our possession even though its hard to fault their defensive play.

Looking at that Vegas roster piece by piece we can beat them. But the guys have to be as committed and intense as the Knights play and better at getting away from the squeeze they put on in their fore check. Quick tight passes and efficient exits just as we did to St.Lou as the series wore on could turn this series.

We can do this

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Touching on the ice time thing it's really just a matter of 10 pps for Vegas and protecting a lead to why it was skewed. Boeser is still learning to be strong on pucks and make sure they get in and out. He struggled in our zone a couple times and then he started to get managed by Green is all. I don"t think he's hurt but imagine they all are banged up at this stage to certain degrees. Hughes Tanev and Miller are the most noticeable for me

My concern is more that Green's playing Beagle that much in order to protect the lead, which hurts our chances as Pettersson's a vastly better two-way player already. If you don't want to bleed as many shots and chances against, you have to go with EP.

On the PP... who are you advocating comes out for Boeser? i dont think that makes much sense when Miller and Horvat are so vital at entries and net presence. But i did like the Boeser one timer against St.Lou also. Don't feel it's an issue anyway but it could be if Miller cant get power on his shot.

I would put Miller on PP2 where they can have 2 lefties and 2 righties up front. Since his wrist is hurting it might help for him to not play such a prominent role on PP1 as Boeser's also pretty decent at zone entries too, plus he gives that unit another shooting threat from the left circle.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So I should fall asleep during the first game of the night more often?

Long Monday night where I got back from hockey at 1 am. Up at 4:30 am for conference calls and fell asleep during the third period of the Lightning game and never woke up for the canuck game.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
They could be forgiven for thinking that last night, as Game 1 was a cakewalk. We were a joke. And it clearly impacted their approach to last night.

I don't think we'll get the same leeway from here-on out.
I think Marchessault’s meltdown was pretty telling about how VGK is feeling. That locker room doesn’t seem like a fun place.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Vegas probably expected to walk all over the Canucks. Teams cakewalked through basically every playoff series expect the finals. They lost last year after a major choke job but we're cake walking their way to a victory in game 7 before refs screw them. These guys don't handle adversity well at all.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Man.. when I said the Canucks were going to the Cup back in February, that was a bit tounge in cheek.

After last nights win showing how we can come back, adjust, and burn teams that seem impossible to beat.. do we actually have a chance?

Crazy times and I’m just glad we’re getting things done. Let’s take Game 3!

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I've been critical of Travis Green... but man these playoffs he is starting to prove me wrong... every time the Canucks hit a wall, he makes the necessary adjustments to counter the other team and get out with a win. I hope he keeps improving as a coach, team seems to be dialed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad