GDT: WCSF Game 3 | Of Fences and Men | SJS @ COL | 7:00 PM PST | NBCSN KFOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The broadcast guys were really feeding into the momentum aspect of the home crowd tonight.

Pierre chiming in that he simply thinks Colorado was the higher energy team leading to the possession domination. Totally false. The Sharks, for whatever reason, sat a forechecker back in the neutral EVERY single zone entry. Zero forecheck, still outnumbered through the neutral, thus clean zone entries for Colorado. Not sure what Pierre was watching in that 3rd period. Also not sure what PDB was game planning for there. Clearly wasn’t a good plan of attack against the strong possession playmakers they have. Rants, Mac, Labdeskog, Soderberg feasted.
I think PDB saw the same thing we all did... The Sharks were gassed. You can only whip a horse so much before it stumbles and keels over. Kinda what Burns did on that dumb pass turnover that led to a goal. You get tired you make mental error along with physical ones.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The reason it's not terrible is because his value is extremely high. Pavs walks for nothing. Meier could 1st ++. I also wasn't referring to *this* offseason. I think the sample size is too low know how he performs in the playoffs, though. I want to keep him, obviously, but if it comes down to like... Hertl or Meier --- the choice is obvious.
No GM that wants to keep his job gets rid of Meier especially not for a 1st + unless the plus is something insane that would likely get the other GM fired. The premise is ridiculous. Meier was the best forward for either team in one of the craziest game 7s I've seen in my life. Dudes a gamer and he's learning playing with Couture and Pavs. He's only getting better too. You sign him up for life.

Reactions: Phu

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'd kill to wrap this up in 5 just to get some rest. Burns is going to be dead if we make the finals
I think that's what PDB is actually trying to do. He's going to play his horses in an attempt to get out of this series as quick as possible so they can have almost a week off. It's a gamble if the Avs drag this out.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
No GM that wants to keep his job gets rid of Meier especially not for a 1st + unless the plus is something insane that would likely get the other GM fired. The premise is ridiculous.
The premise is definitely not ridiculous. The premise is: we will be up against the cap when we are re-signing Meier. That's a pretty likely case. It might even be that both Hertl and Meier are both up for contracts at the same time (I think if we extend Meier to the max deal while keeping him an RFA at the end, this is the case --- I might be counting wrong, but I think it's true). I want to keep him, and I like him a lot --- but there are other players I have higher on the list, e.g., right now --- if we had to choose between Hertl and Meier, then you have to choose Hertl. I hope it doesn't come down to choosing between the two, though!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The premise is definitely not ridiculous. The premise is: we will be up against the cap when we are re-signing Meier. That's a pretty likely case. It might even be that both Hertl and Meier are both up for contracts at the same time (I think if we extend Meier to the max deal while keeping him an RFA at the end, this is the case --- I might be counting wrong, but I think it's true). I want to keep him, and I like him a lot --- but there are other players I have higher on the list, e.g., right now --- if we had to choose between Hertl and Meier, then you have to choose Hertl. I hope it doesn't come down to choosing between the two, though!

Nah the premise is ridiculous because you don’t choose between players like Hertl and Meier. You keep those players and you worry about everybody else later.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd kill to wrap this up in 5 just to get some rest. Burns is going to be dead if we make the finals

I would just like him to play less earlier. Scale the minutes down to 24 or 25 for game four and save most of that for the end. I get wanting to end it quickly but they should have a chance to win Thursday even with Burns playing less. Ryan had a good game and he still played less than Haley. Haley was solid but Ryan should be played more while he is playing better and Dillon is struggling. Braun didn't play enough either, imo. Karlsson also played a little less but that's alright given his health. Vlasic at 24-25 minutes is perfectly fine. Burns needs less and especially when the team is shorthanded.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Nah the premise is ridiculous because you don’t choose between players like Hertl and Meier. You keep those players and you worry about everybody else later.
Fair! Seto also had a 30 goal season, though --- but we should have more than enough time to see if Meier can be consistent. If he can consistently do 30G then, yeah, build around him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Fair! Seto also had a 30 goal season, though --- but we should have more than enough time to see if Meier can be consistent. If he can consistently do 30G then, yeah, build around him.

Apples and oranges. Setoguchi was a benefactor of Thornton who could shoot the puck. Meier was our 2nd best forward in the regular season.

And for all of the criticism of Meier's playoff performance, he has 3 goals and 5 assists in 8 games with 6 of those points coming at 5-on-5. He's actually tied with Burns for 4th in the NHL in 5-on-5 points. And he leads the playoffs in 5-on-5 expected goals, 5-on-5 scoring chances, and 5-on-5 shot attempts, so he's clearly getting his chances. (Kane is 2nd in 5V5 expected goals.) And he leads full-time Sharks in CF% and xGF%.

The only reason that Meier's playoff performance feels disappointing is because he's so damn good that we expect even more out of him. And he's had some chances that have made us pull our hair out when he hasn't scored. But he has actually been very good.

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
I’ve been critical of the PK this playoffs but it was really good tonight. Thats an impressive win on the road considering the injuries they have right now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I remember during the regular season one of the Karlsson/former Sens fans posted in the GDT about Logan looking like trash, which was a fair comment (he did), and that he needed to get going for the playoffs. I responded something like “Logan Couture is the last player you need to worry about stepping up in the playoffs”. This is why. What a monster.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
Btw guys do you know why we won? You know Avs home arena is called Pepsi center. I never drink Pepsi because I prefer Coca cola lemon instead but today (Or technically yesterday but I count it as today because you guys are still 30th of April) I drank Pepsi because our school's wending machine didn't have anything else and I think that's why we won and hockey gods were happy. So does that mean I have to drink Pepsi also on Thursday before the game?

h8tQIbO.png

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Apples and oranges. Setoguchi was a benefactor of Thornton who could shoot the puck. Meier was our 2nd best forward in the regular season.

And for all of the criticism of Meier's playoff performance, he has 3 goals and 5 assists in 8 games with 6 of those points coming at 5-on-5. He's actually tied with Burns for 4th in the NHL in 5-on-5 points. And he leads the playoffs in 5-on-5 expected goals, 5-on-5 scoring chances, and 5-on-5 shot attempts, so he's clearly getting his chances. (Kane is 2nd in 5V5 expected goals.) And he leads full-time Sharks in CF% and xGF%.

The only reason that Meier's playoff performance feels disappointing is because he's so damn good that we expect even more out of him. And he's had some chances that have made us pull our hair out when he hasn't scored. But he has actually been very good.
lol! Of course. Well whaddya know, I guess meier hasn't been a total failure.:sarcasm::laugh: To my eye he's mostly been pretty great. Any puck luck and he has a ton of points.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I remember during the regular season one of the Karlsson/former Sens fans posted in the GDT about Logan looking like trash, which was a fair comment (he did), and that he needed to get going for the playoffs. I responded something like “Logan Couture is the last player you need to worry about stepping up in the playoffs”. This is why. What a monster.

ZjYqqa4.gif

Nice one, homegirl

Reactions: KirbyDots

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
lol! Of course. Well whaddya know, I guess meier hasn't been a total failure.:sarcasm::laugh:

I think we all knew this but I didn't realize quite how good he had been until I looked at the stats. If he's been disappointing so far, that just tells you how good he is. He's going to explode soon.

Also, there's this:

I think a lot of us forget just how young he is. He is 22 years old and he's an absolute monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad