WCSF | (1) Anaheim Ducks vs. (2) Edmonton Oilers | Ducks lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
As an Oilers fan I think this is a good thing for the Oilers. They've exceeded expectations so far this season, making the playoffs, taking out the defending WC champions and putting up a good fight so far in the second round. It's not even close to being over and now you've taken a talented, young team and put a massive chip on their shoulders. You've told them it's not enough to just squeak by, you have to leave absolutely no doubt that you are the better team. Fighting through adversity and bull **** only galvanizes a team and makes them stronger. Win or lose the Oilers will be back next season and for years to come and experiences like the last two games will only make them better, hungrier and more dedicated. The Oilers are anything but defeated they are fired up and adopting that us against the world mentality. They know they've made mistakes and haven't played their best but it's experiences to learn from. Play your absolute best every second of every shift and don't leave anything to doubt. Don't even give the officials an opportunity to be a difference maker.

Ducks should know better then anyone how these series can swing and they are going to have to bring their absolute best tomorrow night because the Oilers aren't going to go quietly. Win or lose tomorrow, I'm extremely proud of the Oilers and what they've accomplished this season. The city and the energy has been absolutely amazing to be apart. Incredible team, incredible fans and we are only getting started.

Of course - that's just it though, we don't know which Oilers team are going to show up, they've melted down at the worst times and can be inconsistent at crucial times.

And yes the future looks pretty good with some tweaking on defense, and able to roll all four lines being ideal.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
On your second point I completely agree. Thorough review only makes sense.

If you had an outside arbitrator making an informed decision with multiple angles of the play, you wouldn't see grievous errors like the ones we constantly bicker over on this board.

I still stand by my criticism. The IPad in the penalty box is an embarrassment for a professional sports franchise.

Ah, they upgraded from the Game Boy Colors the were using before? :help:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Fans are goofy. Oiler fans have every reason to be angry, expecting ducks fans to share your viewpoint is kind of naive.
The Perry high-stick / dive was missed / ignored along with countless other calls. I tend to think the oilers come out on the losing end of the terrible officiating. But then I'm biased.
The reviews are different, they are reviewed to get it right. Most posters here spent way more time reviewing it than the officials did. They got it wrong, on both. I've watched them enough. Talbot was impeded from making a save by actions that didn't need to be taken by a ducks player. Argue if you like, they were both interference and one of them cost the oilers a win. If the positions were reversed I would still see it that way but I wouldn't care.

But it doesn't matter.
It's done.

The oilers managed to carry the play for significant stretches. They have beat the ducks twice and can again. Adversity is part of the deal. Hopefully they harness the frustration and put together a desperation win and take this crazy series to 7.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Fully agree about Drai. Super solid backbone guy. not only a weapon in his own right but that's a lot of pressure off McDavid when the other team has to divide up their D like that.

Yeah the last piece of the puzzle is hopefully Puljujarvi. If he can become that big speedy scoring winger who can protect pucks then the Oilers are looking in great shape with him and those 2 down the middle. Especially now that the goaltending is sorted out and the D is coming along.

I mean drai goes to town vs Anaheim... so its easy to be in aww w/ him... I hope hes not a future duck killer but he seems to be trending that way.... McDavid has great skating and speed but man drai has the full package it seems.

I didnt really pay too much attention to the draft that year , what were the biggest reasons he didnt go 1st or 2nd and was he projected 3rd.. he just seems like hes the bst player in that draft by a good margin

Yeah he really does seem to play great against the Pacific teams and especially the Ducks. I think part of it is that he's versatile and can play either the fast off the rush game or the enter the zone and slow it down game. The Ducks mobile D generally deal with the fast rush and dump and chase game fairly well, but aren't as equipped to handle Drai when he enters the zone and slows it down. It seems to confuse a lot of teams in coverage and backs defences in which is perfect for Drai because he has incredible patience and vision to find the trailer.

He slipped in the draft because people questioned his foot speed and compete level as he looked disinterested or unengaged at times in the play. He made some big strides in his acceleration speed, and is getting more and more engaged physically in games which seems to really keep him active and productive.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Lol oh man I just read that article about lucic not knowing what's goalie interference anymore.... maybe he should ask miller

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fans are goofy. Oiler fans have every reason to be angry, expecting ducks fans to share your viewpoint is kind of naive.
The Perry high-stick / dive was missed / ignored along with countless other calls. I tend to think the oilers come out on the losing end of the terrible officiating. But then I'm biased.
The reviews are different, they are reviewed to get it right. Most posters here spent way more time reviewing it than the officials did. They got it wrong, on both. I've watched them enough. Talbot was impeded from making a save by actions that didn't need to be taken by a ducks player. Argue if you like, they were both interference and one of them cost the oilers a win. If the positions were reversed I would still see it that way but I wouldn't care.

But it doesn't matter.
It's done.

The oilers managed to carry the play for significant stretches. They have beat the ducks twice and can again. Adversity is part of the deal. Hopefully they harness the frustration and put together a desperation win and take this crazy series to 7.

If the ducks do lose game 6, youll see a lot of ducks fans having mental breakdowns and saying grats and good luck in the wcf

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah the last piece of the puzzle is hopefully Puljujarvi. If he can become that big speedy scoring winger who can protect pucks then the Oilers are looking in great shape with him and those 2 down the middle. Especially now that the goaltending is sorted out and the D is coming along.

Yeah he really does seem to play great against the Pacific teams and especially the Ducks. I think part of it is that he's versatile and can play either the fast off the rush game or the enter the zone and slow it down game. The Ducks mobile D generally deal with the fast rush and dump and chase game fairly well, but aren't as equipped to handle Drai when he enters the zone and slows it down. It seems to confuse a lot of teams in coverage and backs defences in which is perfect for Drai because he has incredible patience and vision to find the trailer.

He slipped in the draft because people questioned his foot speed and compete level as he looked disinterested or unengaged at times in the play. He made some big strides in his acceleration speed, and is getting more and more engaged physically in games which seems to really keep him active and productive.
Ah well its nice to have players fall down to you :) maybe not as big of a potential super star but I was ecstatic when fowler dropped to the 12th spot

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
If the ducks do lose game 6, youll see a lot of ducks fans having mental breakdowns and saying grats and good luck in the wcf

Which is silly. Ducks are a solid team. Getzlaf's on a tear and that D core is excellent. The past doesn't dictate the future.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I had a lengthy discussion with a guy last night who agreed that both instances were goalie interference and you know who that guy was? Emilio Estevez, that's right the Mighty Ducks guy.

And I was just like Emiliooooooooo

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Ah well its nice to have players fall down to you :) maybe not as big of a potential super star but I was ecstatic when fowler dropped to the 12th spot

That was crazy! I remember wishing the oilers could trade into 10 or 11 when he was falling.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Fowler definitely is a fantastic D. Not a star, but a very good Dman. I'd gladly take him on my team any day. Fowler actually makes me appreciate McDavid's skating even more when these two teams play because Fowler is a fantastic skater. Yet at times McDavid is actually able to make him look like a poor skater which is honestly mesmerizing to me.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That was crazy! I remember wishing the oilers could trade into 10 or 11 when he was falling.

I remember watching the draft and seeing fowlers reactions and stuff and feeling so bad for him... specially knowing there were so many teams that would have loved to pick him up... I just never imagined hed drop to us... but he just looked so defeated by like pick 7... then finally gets picked and its in LA so he gets boo'd lol

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fowler definitely is a fantastic D. Not a star, but a very good Dman. I'd gladly take him on my team any day. Fowler actually makes me appreciate McDavid's skating even more when these two teams play because Fowler is a fantastic skater. Yet at times McDavid is actually able to make him look like a poor skater which is honestly mesmerizing to me.

Pretty sure McDavid has made all of our good skating dmen look bad... vatanen, lindholm, fowler, Theodore ... hes been running a skating clinic... and honestly id be willing to bet we have the best skating blue line in the league ... mcdavids skating is just untouchable

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I had a lengthy discussion with a guy last night who agreed that both instances were goalie interference and you know who that guy was? Emilio Estevez, that's right the Mighty Ducks guy.

That sounds more credible than sportsnet/tsn fools.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

These threads always find a way to delight me after pages of roughness.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pretty sure McDavid has made all of our good skating dmen look bad... vatanen, lindholm, fowler, Theodore ... hes been running a skating clinic... and honestly id be willing to bet we have the best skating blue line in the league ... mcdavids skating is just untouchable

Thats true lol, and I'd agree you guys have the most mobile D in the league. I think thats why I appreciate playing you guys so much because when McDavid makes your D look silly you know its because he did something truly spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad