WCSF | (1) Anaheim Ducks vs. (2) Edmonton Oilers | Ducks lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
C'mon now. If these 2 past years of coaches challenge has taught us anything its that the league has no clue what goalie interference is. :laugh: I figured we could all agree on that.
:sarcasm: shhh I was playing games

I don't think anyone knows what goalie interference is because the league in general has done a terrible job setting parameters on it.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
They're not irrelevant as its a debate on whether or not the goal should have counted. Maybe you find them irrelevant, and in that case you shouldn't be involved in this debate. I have not made any statement that the refs singlehandedly lost the game for the Oilers, so I'm not really sure why you're trying to give me a recap of what happened in the game when I clearly watched it.

I agree the team does need to refocus, but fans are not a part of the team so its really irrelevant to this debate.

It's irrelevant when nearly every player, coach , Gm, in the oilers locker room blamed the refs for the loss?

This thread is about the series, there are already 3 other official "let's whine" threads for the oilers fans to participate in for this bs. So yes, I could care less what the tsn panel thinks of the call.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So you think the league never makes a mistake?

Idk if they do or don't... the word inconclusive comes up and that could mean a whole lot of things... they gave their reasons as to why they didnt call it back and that's what we get to go off.

Are the consistent hell no, and that is the problem... that's not really Anaheim or anaheims fans fault tho... if they oilers were in the ducks fans shoes I'm guessing they would be celebrating the win too, its literally how these things work, and justifying it in any way possible.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
very entertaining series. I was coming into this expecting McDavid to be the standout but Getzlaf has been such a joy to watch. Still want the Oilers to pull this off somehow but individually Getzlaf has been the guy I key in on.

Lets get this series to a game 7 eh boys.

I think the standout for Edmonton has honestly been Draisaitl. Its easy to see why a lot of us think he's going to be the big 2-way matchup centre to go against the big centres of the west in the coming years. McDavid's had his ups and downs. Simply dominant at times, and invisible at others. Not all that surprising imo given that he's still a pretty physically underdeveloped kid for a superstar. He'll improve in the playoffs as he becomes a man.

Have to agree though Getzlaf has been a monster. Our bigger D who normally outmuscle big guys constantly don't seem to have an answer for him when he gets in his wide stance and skates around protecting the puck away from his body.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They're paid to entertain and provide commentary, they aren't above pandering or having their own bias. But the amount of attention these calls are drawing does show just how controversial these things are, and makes it clear that the league needs to take a hard look at the system and their transparency on crucial review calls.

On your second point I completely agree. Thorough review only makes sense.

If you had an outside arbitrator making an informed decision with multiple angles of the play, you wouldn't see grievous errors like the ones we constantly bicker over on this board.

I still stand by my criticism. The IPad in the penalty box is an embarrassment for a professional sports franchise.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Ana fans are hilarious, I guess you all know better then every expert analyst and writer that all say it is goalie interference.

The point is, it doesn't matter. There were a ton of reasons the oilers lost the game, but the fan base and team just wants to focus on the one thing out of their control.

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
I dont understand how you guys can cry so much about the officials. You are gifted so many weak *** powerplays game after game. If anything, the refs are trying to hand you guys games. Pushing Kesler into the crease then crying interference and that its rigged is pathetic imo.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think the standout for Edmonton has honestly been Draisaitl. Its easy to see why a lot of us think he's going to be the big 2-way matchup centre to go against the big centres of the west in the coming years. McDavid's had his ups and downs. Simply dominant at times, and invisible at others. Not all that surprising imo given that he's still a pretty physically underdeveloped kid for a superstar. He'll improve in the playoffs as he becomes a man.

Have to agree though Getzlaf has been a monster. Our bigger D who normally outmuscle big guys constantly don't seem to have an answer for him when he gets in his wide stance and skates around protecting the puck away from his body.

I cant say enough good things about Draisaitl... his poise with the puck and his size and skating, also doesn't seem to mind physicality, hes just a very great pick, def makes up for yak lol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's irrelevant when nearly every player, coach , Gm, in the oilers locker room blamed the refs for the loss?

This thread is about the series, there are already 3 other official "let's whine" threads for the oilers fans to participate in for this bs. So yes, I could care less what the tsn panel thinks of the call.

Well actually none of them blamed the refs for the loss, they criticized the call, nothing more. I also wasn't referring to the TSN panel, I was referring to the ex-pros on twitter who thought it was a terrible call.

As I said earlier though, if you don't care about this debate then don't partake in it. Nobody said that you had to quote me and reply to me. Seems much easier to either just not read the comments debating the goal or just put me and others discussing it on ignore. The thread that was designated to the goal call is closed, so this seems the most appropriate place to discuss it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Unless Talbot's got another shutout, 1 goal against, or brick wall performance in him, I don't think the Oil have much of a chance. Being fair, and honest; without his performance so far this playoffs, the Oil would have gone the Flames route against the Ducks.

I mean, he faced 56 shots last night; Gibson only 34.

Really this is the classic 1 team's a contender, 1 team's getting their feet wet. It's really been a one-sided affair, independent of the series score... but something the Oil can build on. Clearly the lack of depth is really showing against a Ducks team that can run 3 legitimate goal-threat lines.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
The Ducks are just better. If the Oilers held on in game 5 I'd think they finish the Ducks off in 6 but the Ducks have all the momentum.

I would agree that the ducks are better, but it's a 2 game sample size. The margin isn't that wide, and I've seen this story before with Anaheim to know that a series isn't over until the 4th game is won.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Reffing complaints aside, which are the way it goes in the playoffs, if Perry's found his mojo things are looking better for the Ducks.

The mental part of the game which the Oiler players appear to be losing, can be a huge factor in winning. Lucic should have shown some playoff leadership and just sucked it up and put it behind him as soon as it happened... but he had to go there post game.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
As an Oilers fan I think this is a good thing for the Oilers. They've exceeded expectations so far this season, making the playoffs, taking out the defending WC champions and putting up a good fight so far in the second round. It's not even close to being over and now you've taken a talented, young team and put a massive chip on their shoulders. You've told them it's not enough to just squeak by, you have to leave absolutely no doubt that you are the better team. Fighting through adversity and bull **** only galvanizes a team and makes them stronger. Win or lose the Oilers will be back next season and for years to come and experiences like the last two games will only make them better, hungrier and more dedicated. The Oilers are anything but defeated they are fired up and adopting that us against the world mentality. They know they've made mistakes and haven't played their best but it's experiences to learn from. Play your absolute best every second of every shift and don't leave anything to doubt. Don't even give the officials an opportunity to be a difference maker.

Ducks should know better then anyone how these series can swing and they are going to have to bring their absolute best tomorrow night because the Oilers aren't going to go quietly. Win or lose tomorrow, I'm extremely proud of the Oilers and what they've accomplished this season. The city and the energy has been absolutely amazing to be apart. Incredible team, incredible fans and we are only getting started.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Reffing complaints aside, which are the way it goes in the playoffs, if Perry's found his mojo things are looking better for the Ducks.

The mental part of the game which the Oiler players appear to be losing, can be a huge factor in winning. Lucic should have shown some playoff leadership and just sucked it up and put it behind him as soon as it happened... but he had to go there post game.

Idk if its safe to say perry found his mojo

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I cant say enough good things about Draisaitl... his poise with the puck and his size and skating, also doesn't seem to mind physicality, hes just a very great pick, def makes up for yak lol

I appreciate the post and the acknowledgement of Drai. He really is a filthy passer on top of those things you mentioned. I honestly think he might have better vision and passing ability than McDavid. Albeit he doesn't have the same speed and skating ability to open up so much space and time to make plays that McDavid has, and he can't make plays the way McDavid can at ridiculous speed. I think with those 2 it comes down to McDavid is the better overall playmaker because of his total package, but I think Draisaitl's vision and passing are probably superior.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
This how I learned of "goaltender / interference" in playoff hockey:

watch the beauty from shanahan at

at 4:13.

After that I learned that you can't count on the refs for anything in playoff hockey.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

Fully agree about Drai. Super solid backbone guy. not only a weapon in his own right but that's a lot of pressure off McDavid when the other team has to divide up their D like that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I appreciate the post and the acknowledgement of Drai. He really is a filthy passer on top of those things you mentioned. I honestly think he might have better vision and passing ability than McDavid. Albeit he doesn't have the same speed and skating ability to open up so much space and time to make plays that McDavid has, and he can't make plays the way McDavid can at ridiculous speed. I think with those 2 it comes down to McDavid is the better overall playmaker because of his total package, but I think Draisaitl's vision and passing are probably superior.

I mean drai goes to town vs Anaheim... so its easy to be in aww w/ him... I hope hes not a future duck killer but he seems to be trending that way.... McDavid has great skating and speed but man drai has the full package it seems.

I didnt really pay too much attention to the draft that year , what were the biggest reasons he didnt go 1st or 2nd and was he projected 3rd.. he just seems like hes the bst player in that draft by a good margin

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I dont understand how you guys can cry so much about the officials. You are gifted so many weak *** powerplays game after game. If anything, the refs are trying to hand you guys games. Pushing Kesler into the crease then crying interference and that its rigged is pathetic imo.

The ducks pim/gm in the playoffs is almost exactly the same as the regular season. I think you're getting called the customary amount. A certain other team has gone from 9:00/gm to 11:38/gm.

The problem is not in the unbalanced tripping holding slashing interference calls...the problem is in the reviewable calls and the league saying **** you pretty much every time.

But of course you spoke of whining and then whined yourself so I'm sure this will be responded to with more venom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad