Vancouver def. Nashville 5-2

December 19, 2023
Vancouver def. Nashville - 5-2

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
From the Oilers board:

"Preds lost the game in essentially 12 secs. Doesn't speak well for them. PDO kings will get seeing eye pucks going in. Like the Flames a couple years ago their game plan is to funnel absolutely everything towards goal and hope for bounces. Which they got again tonight. The deflection goal wasn't even intended. Lol at Hughes taking credit for the goal because he's such a superstar. Pint sized defender won't last long in playoffs."

1) Isn't the whole point of the game to funnel pucks towards the net? Isn't that exactly what almost every team and fans say win games? Greasy goals and chaos in front of the net?

2) "Pint sized defender" that absolutely shit on the Preds all game, comes up big when it matters, and didn't take a single hit.

Lmao some of these people are just deranged and don't live in the real world

My personal favorite is them describing Joshua as "Some annoying dipshit 4th liner that's been shooting the lights out"

So... he's Corey Perry, just better? :sarcasm:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
With the number of FAs on the team that can work two ways, either they play to get a better contract .
OR
They play so they don't get hurt and lower their next contract, just good enough 90%, but not the 120% needed for a cup run.

Canucks should win this series they only have to win 3 of 6 games.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Clown Tocchet needs to take princess petey off the pp and put joshua on

Would've had 2 pp goals if he was in peteys spot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Looked like a loss mentally more than anything.
Played tentative and unrelated instead of letting the game come to them.

The first goal made things worse and full marks to Nashville and their blocks, they didn’t give any clean looks.

I think they’ll reset and be better prepared for the next game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Demko has now been downgraded to being out 'week to week'. So he's done for the rest of the series with the Preds, and probably even the one following if they somehow get past Nashville.

They might eke out a series win against Nashville with DeSmith in goal. But if they run into the Oilers in Round Two, forget about it. Seems almost inevitable their post-season run has been badly compromised.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Unlucky, but I guess afterall, Canucks did over achieve this season by a far margin.

Unfortunately, Demko was really our last hope as an elite goaltender is capable of stealing games, and potentially a series. But without Demko, that's not a possibility.

Canucks don't really have the players to go deep without strong goaltending. On top of that, their top players have suddenly vanished, so nevermind about going deep... I'm not confident they can even beat Nashville anymore.

We saw some of this coming well before the playoffs started, but I think many of us were holding out on some magical switch to be flipped, but nope.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well boys and girls in the immortal words of Brian Burke;

"that's not a team, it's a cult!" They buy into blocking shots and defensive play like it's a religion.

We are now seeing NJD hockey under Lemaire, the old cup winning teams, defence at all costs and big players.

Slower than the Canucks but once in their own zone speed isn't as important as position..

Canucks may have the Joshua Tree but they have The Cult.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
a lot of pessimism here. we are dominating nashville the way vegas dominated us in the bubble. they are playing the same collapse and huddle around the goalie and block everything game. our best players are frustrated.

we won game two of the vegas series 5-2. we did not win the series.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
We're done. Preds in 6.

Between Demko's health, EPs mental weakness (prediction: his contract will soon be seen as the worst in the NHL), and departing free agents, that 12 seconds the other night will be remembered as the high water mark for this core. I enjoyed it!

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
One thing I noticed last night in the GDT was how many posters that I haven't seen a single time throughout the season came out just to say doomer stuff like "series is over," "we're done" etc.

Bro, if you think the season is over, do us all a favour and log off.

I will never understand what people get from doing that after a single playoff loss? Is it just an emotional defense thing?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
One thing I noticed last night in the GDT was how many posters that I haven't seen a single time throughout the season came out just to say doomer stuff like "series is over," "we're done" etc.

Bro, if you think the season is over, do us all a favour and log off.

I will never understand what people get from doing that after a single playoff loss? Is it just an emotional defense thing?
GDT posts are generally unhinged by nature so I wouldn't look too much into it. The people who are still like that today though, yikes.

Reactions: mathonwy and Vector

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Hope we see podz and silovs may as well try .
Keep playing that dominant pucks will go in series isnt over by any means .

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
From my vantage point, we would have lost last nights game even with Demko in net..You don't win many games by scoring a single goal...The Canucks couldn't score.

Credit to Nashville, they played a perfect road game.

This series is taking the identity of having low shot totals..blocked shots..The Canucks inability to score on the PP is an issue as well...Adjustments are needed.

Reactions: Szechwan

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Well boys and girls in the immortal words of Brian Burke;

"that's not a team, it's a cult!" They buy into blocking shots and defensive play like it's a religion.

We are now seeing NJD hockey under Lemaire, the old cup winning teams, defence at all costs and big players.

Slower than the Canucks but once in their own zone speed isn't as important as position..

Canucks may have the Joshua Tree but they have The Cult.
One reason (among many) Ovie has been so successful in his pp spot is he’s not afraid to shoot the shit out of the puck just because someone is foolishly standing in front of him. I once saw a game where he took out two lightning players in a row that were blocking his shots. And then he went straight back for a third shot.

Petey has a 100 mph slapshot but when’s the last time I’ve seen someone limp off after blocking it? He’s always trying to shoot around it which means he goes high and wide…the worst possible outcome. In a series like this, he needs to hammer it low and hard, and if they want to get their ankles in front of it, let them. A blocked shot can cause a lot more chaos than a shot high and wide.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
We're done. Preds in 6.

Between Demko's health, EPs mental weakness (prediction: his contract will soon be seen as the worst in the NHL), and departing free agents, that 12 seconds the other night will be remembered as the high water mark for this core. I enjoyed it!
The Canucks can still beat the Preds with DeSmith in net. Would be a different story if they were missing Hughes or Miller. Unfortunately, a second round exit is very likely now if they face the Oilers without Demko.

Reactions: TruKnyte

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
From my vantage point, we would have lost last nights game even with Demko in net..You don't win many games by scoring a single goal...The Canucks couldn't score.

Credit to Nashville, they played a perfect road game.

This series is taking the identity of having low shot totals..blocked shots..The Canucks inability to score on the PP is an issue as well...Adjustments are needed.

I don't think Demko lets a single one of those shots in... and even if he did, I also think the team please better in front of him... they play a bit loser and no they can go for it and don't need to be perfect.

We easily win that game with Demmer in net...

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Miller comparing the 2019 series between Columbus and Tampa to this one.

Think it ends the same way for Van as it did Tampa then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad