Post-Game Talk: WCQF [GM01] Canucks defeat Predators | 4-2 (Lindholm, Suter, & Joshua(2)) | Never in Doubt!

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hoglander is so high effort but I don't think his style lends itself to cycling the puck the way Petey would want. It's too chaotic and he chases the puck way too much to get the separation you need for Petey to get space. Hoglander honestly fits JT and Boeser better than he does Petey right now.
Hoglander isn’t really an offensive cycle kinda guy. He’s much better in a role where he’s attacking the net and being a relentless forechecker aka bottom 6 type of hockey. I’ve never really liked Hoglander with Pettersson but he’s literally the best option we have.

I suggest they put Pettersson between Dak and Garland and have Lindholm center Hoglander and Mikheyev.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
With him, and regarding people's reactions, it's not even necessarily about the results (though those are also a must in the playoffs for a guy about to make $11.6M) but about the process. The process is pretty uninspiring right now and people are calling it out. He needs to find a pulse but I maintain he also needs to get stronger so it's a little easier for him to impose himself and his skill. If it was a little easier to do that it would be easier to get his confidence back because all it would take is a few nice plays with the puck, a few individual effort goals etc. But the guy can barely stay on his skates so it feels like he doesn't even have a prayer of finding his groove again, especially this time of year.
I don't really get this "process" piece, at least for last night. Like I said before, I thought he was attentive and effective at the "little things" and details of the game. I would be more concerned if he just started cheating to create some offense, because he's in a production drought.

And yes, I know he needs to produce more. I said this. But I don't think his style will ever look "imposing". And it will be harder for him to create the slick plays we're used to seeing playing with Hoglander and Lafferty - two guys without much creativity who pretty much just skate in a straight line and then shoot or go to the net.

Hoglander isn’t really an offensive cycle kinda guy. He’s much better in a role where he’s attacking the net and being a relentless forechecker aka bottom 6 type of hockey. I’ve never really liked Hoglander with Pettersson but he’s literally the best option we have.

I suggest they put Pettersson between Dak and Garland and have Lindholm center Hoglander and Mikheyev.
Yep. Part of the problem are Petey's linemates. They're not guys that really mesh with his style.

I do think the lines they have set up as current are mostly optimal though. So I don't think there is much they can do there.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Met these tourists from Germany on Friday at a bar and ended up bringing them out with some of my group to watch the game at a bar. Honestly was an awesome experience

Last time we had a home playoff game, well, I was at it, but I was also 16. So that experience as an adult for the first time, which was incredibly overdue, was memorable

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Met these tourists from Germany on Friday at a bar and ended up bringing them out with some of my group to watch the game at a bar. Honestly was an awesome experience

Last time we had a home playoff game, well, I was at it, but I was also 16. So that experience as an adult for the first time, which was incredibly overdue, was memorable
Actual twin peaks plot

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i understand the pettersson angst but i am not changing a thing right now. he's an effective match up line guy who gets pp time and lotto line ozone faceoff cameos. until he unslumps. no way do i take lindholm away from garland/joshua when he is playing physical with them like blueger and suter did early on in the season.

not playing podz was the right move although i think he'll thrive when he gets in. a playoff rhythm ideally needs to be entrenched so podz must watch and wait for an injury or if someone earns their way out.

hoglander was just fine for a playoff rookie. amazing how physical he is for an undersized scoring winger. boeser skating slowly but doing smart defensive things was really cool to watch. miller was a little too hyped up. hughes must have had the least possession time of the season but showed up huge for that goal. garland i think got his bell rung early in the first and took a while to get going again. did not see the play but something took the wind out of his sails for a while.

the one guy off his game was hronek. not so much bad as not sharp or in synch.

i was impressed with the unforced physicality of the canucks. they hit things but within the play. they didn't overhit or reach as much as i expected. the refs have been watching our big dmen very closely for a while which i think may be a good thing as they have refined their habits, but i think we can still expect 2 minutes for being bigger than the other guy calls all playoffs long.

if i was nashville i'd be looking for more cross ice passes in the ozone. teams have opened us up all season with the cross ice to the trailer on the left wing especially and last night it was still a thing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Stuck with the plan, played their game and things worked out great. Limited the amount of dangerous chances against. What an insane swing of momentum in the those 12 seconds.

With that being said there are absolutely a few areas that need to be tightened up and adjustments that should be made:

-They were too focused on hitting everything and need to ensure they aren't taking themselves out of the play in the process of doing so creating dangerous opportunities the other way.
-I really think you gotta plop Dakota Joshua in front of Saros on the PP1 for the screens/mayhem that Garland just isn't able to offer due to his physical size
-Lafferty and Hoglander were extremely ineffective and like others have said, we might as well load up the lotto line to get EP going and in the process banish Lafferty to the 4th line. Overall a very disappointing game for Pettersson, but glad we have built out a team around him that can win games without him needing to be on his "A" game.
-No more PDG, for the love of god no more PDG.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Just finished reading the Oilers Out of Town GDT thread. What in the actual **** is wrong with those guys? Embarrassing.
Honestly, I love it. I missed being hated and having fanbase rivalries. It also makes the winning so much sweeter. Nothing better than reading that thread after a playoff win.

I wouldn’t touch the Lindholm line right now

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I meant to comment on this last night - I was shocked at how passive/non-physical Nashville was last night.

Their hit counts were ok but they didn’t really get in on the forecheck at all, didn’t touch Hughes, had almost no hits of any real ferocity.

Probably 9 of the 10 hardest hits in the game were by us. They looked like a small, weak team. Zadorov and Joshua looked like monsters compared to anyone on that team.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Just finished reading the Oilers Out of Town GDT thread. What in the actual **** is wrong with those guys? Embarrassing.
They feel threatened and masking their insecurity with nonsense about PDO and general bitterness makes them feel better about themselves.

That's my guess.

Reactions: Indiana

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I meant to comment on this last night - I was shocked at how passive/non-physical Nashville was last night.

Their hit counts were ok but they didn’t really get in on the forecheck at all, didn’t touch Hughes, had almost no hits of any real ferocity.

Probably 9 of the 10 hardest hits in the game were by us. They looked like a small, weak team. Zadorov and Joshua looked like monsters compared to anyone on that team.
Some of their big hitters up front are’t that big. It was funny watching Sherwood/Smith trying to get physical with Zadorov/Myers/Soucy/Cole and just bounce off of them and hit the ice.

I remember Filip Forsberg used to run around a bit against the Canucks, last night there was an after whistle sequence where Zadorov put him in a head lock and then shoved his head down onto the ice for good measure. Afterward Forsberg just got up and skated away without a peep, amazing to watch.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

100% feel you on that

it's been nearly a decade since i truly cared about the outcome of a canucks game

obviously not an unique experience - there's thousands of us in the same boat - but it was lots of fun yesterday, even just watching at home. first time in my adult life that everyone was actually watching the canucks with me lol

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Lindholm is a much better player than Blueger is. Leave him exactly where he is, that line has a little bit of everything. Reminds me of the Moen-Pahlsson-Penner line that gave teams absolute fits in the 2007 Ducks run.
it was Moen-Pahlsson-Neidermayer

Penner played with Getzlaf and Perry

Why did we recall Silovs btw? Was he back up last night or DeSmith?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I loved the energy from the crowd. It was like, shocking to our players lol. They're used to suits taking up space (or not attending at all) and gently golf-clapping. Now the maniacs are showing out for the hottest ticket in town. I love the emotion that we played with, you could tell how much they were feeding off everything.

Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I honestly felt the Nashville forecheck tapered off because they were getting hammered by the likes of Zadorov and Myers. I'd expect them to redouble their efforts in Game 2.

Reactions: Indiana and MS

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He generated offense today, it just didn't go in the net.

May as well use your criteria on Miller tonight. Makes 8M, pure points are the only thing that counts, where's your criticism for Miller's production? Zero shots, no points other than a 22-23 Boeser special on the EN, he must have not been worth his money today too?

This is such a strawman. Basically no one is saying that “pure points” are the only thing that counts. He’s not generating the kind of offense he’s shown that he’s capable of generating, and this is also evidenced on the game sheet. No one is saying that he’s generating no offense, only that he’s not generating the offense you would expect a player of his calibre and cap hit would generate. Pettersson is at his best when he’s moving his feet and attacking with the puck. Pettersson right now is not moving his feet, and not attacking with the puck. He’s playing extremely passively and letting the play come to him. He’s creating no separation and is really easy to defend against right now. But sure, he’s still an extremely talented player, so he will generate some offense notwithstanding the foregoing.

The comparison to Miller last night was laughable and not warranted given the context of the debate.

Reactions: bh53, Jay26 and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad