WCQF Gm#2: KINGS vs. BLUES - 5/2/13 - Another Heartbreaker...

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Practice Optional,

Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen 7m Kings had team meeting, now some guys skating. Not full practice
Greene among skaters. Martinez, ellerby, Muzzin, Nolan, Penner, Bernier, clifford, Lewis, Richardson, toffoli, King also out there

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
It's a gross feeling after these 2 winnable games slipping away and having the other team be better... St. louis did what they were supposed to do, now it's time for the kings do what they're supposed to do and win these 2 home games.

For the most part all of these "we're done" thoughts lay heavy in my brain... which is what an old kings fan would think... and as much as we've suffered prior to the cup, it's easy to go back to those feelings. But the silver lining in this situation for me, is that if we happen to rattle off 4 in a row... And somehow get that MOJO back, we have a good shot of repeating. Facing the adversity early in a way is a good thing... against a team as young as st. louis who can be afraid of the kings with a few bad bonehead plays and mistakes.

We saw how scared they got in OVERTIME when they gave up the late lead. They're playing a big strong effective game and are simply playing better.. .but once it's in their heads like it was in OT, i still potentially see a fragile team capable of losing their cool and losing 4 straight. I like our chances to repeat IF we happen to take this series. We've got a big hill to climb though... we used up all of our road wins last year.

KingKopitar11*

I'm glad Brown plays with an edge. In fact, more players on our team should take note and follow his lead. If we can't score, we might as well destroy them with a brutal physical game. That usually always changes the momentum....

This. People wanting brown to play like mother Teresa piss me off.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's funny, if you go against the mob you get kicked :).

I honestly never seen people hate a player as much as Brown. The hatred is honestly nothing i've ever seen before.

In some ways, it's awesome. In others, it's extremely annoying, because you can't see him in any other way but rage blinders. Anything he does from here on out is under so much scrutiny because now the pitchfork mob can say "yeah but he got suspended once, he's been dirty his whole career".

Edit: Not that I want this at all, but there were plenty of other questionable plays that game that won't be talked about, like Perron's shiver to the head of Penner, Pietrangelo on Kopitar, Penner on Backes, etc. If we made those *.gifs, they'd all look like axe murderers.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
It's funny, if you go against the mob you get kicked :).

I honestly never seen people hate a player as much as Brown. The hatred is honestly nothing i've ever seen before.

It's laughable. So much arrogance too. They would all bust a nut if they had him on their team.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I'm not posting for the next two games, don't even want to read other boards.

Props to St. Louis, they have come to play.

Keeping the faith, Go Kings Go!

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
At the risk of going against THIS mob and getting "kicked" myself, I understand some of the dislike, especially given Brown's performance over the past month. Even the most ardent Kings and Brown fan has to admit that this past month Brown's play has been on the wrong side of the "edge" we all want him to play with. Call it intentional, call it careless, call it what you will, but he's been repeatedly playing in a way that unacceptably increases the chance of serious injury (to another player or to himself) in a game that already has enough environmental risk of serious injury. I question his in-game decision making in this month, and when you add that on top of an already-existing reputation for embellishment, AND the pain (for fans of the other 29 teams) of seeing him take the Cup, and you're gonna get a level of hate.

Some of it should be ignored, sure -- but we shouldn't ignore the trend of his play that is not of overall benefit to either the club or to the sport.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
At the risk of going against THIS mob and getting "kicked" myself, I understand some of the dislike, especially given Brown's performance over the past month. Even the most ardent Kings and Brown fan has to admit that this past month Brown's play has been on the wrong side of the "edge" we all want him to play with. Call it intentional, call it careless, call it what you will, but he's been repeatedly playing in a way that unacceptably increases the chance of serious injury (to another player or to himself) in a game that already has enough environmental risk of serious injury. I question his in-game decision making in this month, and when you add that on top of an already-existing reputation for embellishment, AND the pain (for fans of the other 29 teams) of seeing him take the Cup, and you're gonna get a level of hate.

Some of it should be ignored, sure -- but we shouldn't ignore the trend of his play that is not of overall benefit to either the club or to the sport.

I disagree entirely. Brown has thrown harder and more dangerous checks in the past that were considered wonderful. Just look at the Cooke hit early in his career. The new NHL is driving for removing the physicality from the sport not unlike the NFL. It's a sad trend.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

No argument here. He is now a repeat offender coming off a 2 game suspension and with an iffy past. So he knees a guy last night and immediately knows he was wrong, doesn't say a word to the refs and goes to the box. If the player had been injured he would likely be looking at a Shanaban phone call and the league would be licking their chops to make a statement since he was just suspended. That does nothing to help the team.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
This. People wanting brown to play like mother Teresa piss me off.

It pisses me off when people just give a free pass on dangerous behavior just because the guy wears our sweater. You can still play a brutal punishing game without sticking your ******* leg out!! If that knee on knee had connected we could have lost our captain for the rest of the series. You really disagree with that?

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Do people really believe Brown has ever has intent to injure? He has done some stupid hits and hes been penalized for them, but hes never tried to injure anyone. A big hit builds momentum for your team and that's what he tries to do. I think the discussion is more of do people want hitting to be a part of the NHL.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Do people really believe Brown has ever has intent to injure? He has done some stupid hits and hes been penalized for them, but hes never tried to injure anyone. A big hit builds momentum for your team and that's what he tries to do. I think the discussion is more of do people want hitting to be a part of the NHL.

Nobody can ever argue "intent". What goes on inside a mans brain is a mystery to anyone aside from that man. I think Brown is doing what he thinks it takes to win. He may not have ben trying to injure that player but I think he's so flushed with adrenaline at times he loses sight of what a clean hockey hit should be.

Anyone who has ever played the game of hockey knows that the only dirtier than sticking your elbows out on a play is sticking your leg out. Brown has done both several times over the last few weeks.

Say what you want, I'd be willing to bet my entire next paycheck that Sutter has told him to cut that **** out.

KingKopitar11*

It pisses me off when people just give a free pass on dangerous behavior just because the guy wears our sweater. You can still play a brutal punishing game without sticking your ******* leg out!! If that knee on knee had connected we could have lost our captain for the rest of the series. You really disagree with that?

Wait so you think he tried to knee him? Does anyone actually believe here that he threw an elbow and a knee?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Down 2-0, but I'm not too worried yet. STL had no business winning Game 2. Quick is back, and he will shutdown STL. Just need to find a little offense, and we will be completely fine.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wait so you think he tried to knee him? Does anyone actually believe here that he threw an elbow and a knee?

It's obvious to me that Brown is trying to lean and catch Schwartz, who changed directions, and Brown reacted by throwing his leg out (natural reaction in hockey) and tripped him. He wasn't trying to elbow his head nor was he trying to knee him. Anyone who has played and been caught in that position of trying to connect with a missed check would realize what his intentions are.

Reactionary fools who have nothing to better to do than whine and act all high and mighty on a message board will overreact and think he's trying to kill Schwartz and send him to a hospital. Is it reckless? Yes. Is it dirty? No, not at all.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but being down 2-0 is a scenario that Darryl Sutter has coached out of in the past, and it happened during the last lockout/shortened season when he was coaching the Hawks against the Leafs in the opening round. His Hawks lost the first two games in that series. They ended up winning the next three and took the series. Don't count the Kings out yet. They've lost both games by scores of 2-1. If their offense decides to show up, it could just as easily be the Kings being up 2-0 in the series. Unfortunately that isn't the case, but coming back home, they have a great opportunity to even this thing up.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
KingKopitar11's Dustin Brown value thread on trades/rumors got closed down cos of the trolls and haters lol.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but being down 2-0 is a scenario that Darryl Sutter has coached out of in the past, and it happened during the last lockout/shortened season when he was coaching the Hawks against the Leafs in the opening round. His Hawks lost the first two games in that series. They ended up winning the next three and took the series. Don't count the Kings out yet. They've lost both games by scores of 2-1. If their offense decides to show up, it could just as easily be the Kings being up 2-0 in the series. Unfortunately that isn't the case, but coming back home, they have a great opportunity to even this thing up.

Lost both games at home at that.

KingKopitar11*

It's obvious to me that Brown is trying to lean and catch Schwartz, who changed directions, and Brown reacted by throwing his leg out (natural reaction in hockey) and tripped him. He wasn't trying to elbow his head nor was he trying to knee him. Anyone who has played and been caught in that position of trying to connect with a missed check would realize what his intentions are.

Reactionary fools who have nothing to better to do than whine and act all high and mighty on a message board will overreact and think he's trying to kill Schwartz and send him to a hospital. Is it reckless? Yes. Is it dirty? No, not at all.

Exactly.
yf96ALh.gif

Browns FOREARM hits Schwartz shoulder while he is Pivoting and Brown extends his leg out to get more REACH with his arm to knock down Schwartz but he doesnt connect only KNICKING his shoulder.

If people actually watch the plays and actually play the game they would know what is going on. Its not dirty, its reckless. He mistimed it, and the angle makes it look bad because you can't see his forearm. Nothing else.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

This is why you all have to go over to the main board and chime in on the Perron thread with the same idiotic comments that appear in the Brown thread.

I look at the Brown thread and I see stupid comments saying Brown should get 2 games cause he is a repeat offender and the intent was there.

Then I go to the Perron thread and the same guy says that's not suspension worthy, Perron barely knicked Penner.

I agree with Ziggy, whatever happened to just taking a number. It's hockey.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This is why you all have to go over to the main board and chime in on the Perron thread with the same idiotic comments that appear in the Brown thread.

I look at the Brown thread and I see stupid comments saying Brown should get 2 games cause he is a repeat offender and the intent was there.

Then I go to the Perron thread and the same guy says that's not suspension worthy, Perron barely knicked Penner.

I agree with Ziggy, whatever happened to just taking a number. It's hockey.

Whoever wants to use my description to provide feedback in that thread, feel free to do so, I don't want to get involved with the flock of idiots in those threads and get myself perma-banned.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
Exactly.
yf96ALh.gif

Browns FOREARM hits Schwartz shoulder while he is Pivoting and Brown extends his leg out to get more REACH with his arm to knock down Schwartz but he doesnt connect only KNICKING his shoulder.

If people actually watch the plays and actually play the game they would know what is going on. Its not dirty, its reckless. He mistimed it, and the angle makes it look bad because you can't see his forearm. Nothing else.

ive said almost exactly that on a # of different threads...its pointless to fight. it doesn bother me that a bunch of ppl on HF dont like the way Brown plays. I love how he plays the game and i dont want him to change, he just needs to be more careful is all.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Whoever wants to use my description to provide feedback in that thread, feel free to do so, I don't want to get involved with the flock of idiots in those threads and get myself perma-banned.

I'm way too subtle for that. Essentially, I just look at the stuff about intent in the Brown thread, paraphrase it and post it in the Perron thread, then wait for the same folks to come along and contradict themselves.

The statements of folks who hate Brown is really bordering on the stupid, and some of them are preparing to attack the capital at dawn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad