GDT: WCQF - Game 5 : Blues @ Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Wasn't able to watch this one live. Just finished it on DVR and man what a roller coaster of a game. I liked that after a whistle happy 1st the refs put their whistles away and just let the boys play. Kaprizov is just unbelievable, still trying to figure out how he got clean shot off on that second goal. Lastly, Tarasenko coming alive is just what the doctor ordered, hopefully Buchnevich will follow, he has been very good defensively just want a little more offense from him.

Chet Manly

Feb 25, 2015
Saint Louis
How many days off does the NHL give between series? 1? 2?

So earliest, winner plays Colorado in 3/4 days. Latest, 5/.6 days. It's already been 2 days since they played last.

That's a lot of time to sit around. I really hope we win this series. I think the Avs might be vulnerable.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017

So earliest, winner plays Colorado in 3/4 days. Latest, 5/.6 days. It's already been 2 days since they played last.

That's a lot of time to sit around. I really hope we win this series. I think the Avs might be vulnerable.
I believe the NHL doesn't start the second round until all first round series are over unlike the NBA where they start the series a couple days after they know the matchup. I think that means that the STL/MIN v. COL series would likely start on Monday or Tuesday.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Vegas got 1 day off between beating Minnesota and playing Colorado in round 2. Carolina got 2 days off between beating Nashville and playing Tampa in round 2. Montreal got 1 day off between beating Toronto and playing Winnipeg in round 2. And then everyone else who didn't go as deep got more days off.

If we win tomorrow, the earliest we could play Colorado would be Saturday. Depending on how long other series go, it could be a bit longer. Last year they started a couple series in round 2 before round 1 concluded, but they usually don't. If we have a game 7 on Saturday then the earliest we could play them is Monday. The absolute latest we would play our game 1 is Wednesday, but I'd wager it would be either Monday or Tuesday if we go 7 games with Minnesota.

So Colorado will have somewhere between 4-8 days off and we will have 1-4 days off (with 4 days off being very unlikely).

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

I heard Round 2 would start on Monday.... although if some of the series would go to a Game 7 on Sunday I'm not sure if that changes things

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I heard Round 2 would start on Monday.... although if some of the series would go to a Game 7 on Sunday I'm not sure if that changes things
I assume that the NHL will start round 2 on Monday. At least 5 series will be wrapped up on Saturday. That's the scheduled game 7 for Blues/Wild, Bruins/Canes, Leafs/Bolts and Oilers/Kings. Even if everything remaining goes 7, that means that you could start 1 round on Monday (Avs vs whoever). If any of Pens/Rangers, Caps/Cats, or Stars/Flames ends in 6 then you could start their round 2 on Monday as well.

It is a bit snug getting the Cup awarded before the July 4th weekend if each round goes deep. The NHL loves to take a couple days off before the Final and leaving 2 days off between Cup Final games when the teams travel. I think they'd rather compress the break between rounds and be able to have some breathing room in the Final than have a night without hockey between rounds 1 and 2.

If I were putting money on it, I'd wager that the Central Division Round 2 starts on Monday. I'd actually take that over the field right now.

Reactions: mk80

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I assume that the NHL will start round 2 on Monday. At least 5 series will be wrapped up on Saturday. That's the scheduled game 7 for Blues/Wild, Bruins/Canes, Leafs/Bolts and Oilers/Kings. Even if everything remaining goes 7, that means that you could start 1 round on Monday (Avs vs whoever). If any of Pens/Rangers, Caps/Cats, or Stars/Flames ends in 6 then you could start their round 2 on Monday as well.

It is a bit snug getting the Cup awarded before the July 4th weekend if each round goes deep. The NHL loves to take a couple days off before the Final and leaving 2 days off between Cup Final games when the teams travel. I think they'd rather compress the break between rounds and be able to have some breathing room in the Final than have a night without hockey between rounds 1 and 2.

If I were putting money on it, I'd wager that the Central Division Round 2 starts on Monday. I'd actually take that over the field right now.
The NHL should be able to resume a normal schedule this fall and start in the 1st week of October, which is usually when seasons start. This season started on October 12 , which is 4-5 days later than normal.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The NHL should be able to resume a normal schedule this fall and start in the 1st week of October, which is usually when seasons start. This season started on October 12 , which is 4-5 days later than normal.
We also had an Olympic break built into this year's schedule that pushed things back even further. Normally the regular season wraps up in the first weekend of April, not the last one. I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to normal. I want the NHL to get the Cup Final out of June and into May. Having it go to the end of June is terrible.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
We also had an Olympic break built into this year's schedule that pushed things back even further. Normally the regular season wraps up in the first weekend of April, not the last one. I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to normal. I want the NHL to get the Cup Final out of June and into May. Having it go to the end of June is terrible.
True. Olympics pushed it back.

Regarding the bolded, I can't see that happening unless there is a major compression on the regular season schedule. I'd like to see it happen as well, but you're probably aware that, historically, Cup Finals end the 2nd week of June.

Compressing the schedule by two weeks might be too much.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
True. Olympics pushed it back.

Regarding the bolded, I can't see that happening unless there is a major compression on the regular season schedule. I'd like to see it happen as well, but you're probably aware that, historically, Cup Finals end the 2nd week of June.

Compressing the schedule by two weeks might be too much.
Historically, the Cup was awarded in April and then eventually mid-late May. It wasn't until the early 1990s when it started creeping into June. Bobby Orr's famous Cup-winning goal was scored on May 10. The Habs have only lifted the Cup in June once. The Isles dynasty won all their Cups in May. Same with the Oilers. It has been awarded in June for the last 20+ years, but I don't think that is enough reason to say that it always has to be that way.

I would like to just start the regular season a week or two earlier rather than compressing the schedule. Cup Final ratings are pretty pathetic outside of the 2 markets playing. June is one of the hardest times of year to keep people inside the house during the evenings and the Final is usually the exact same 2 weeks as the NBA Final. I think you would see a noticeable boost to ratings if you could have your championship wrapped up before the NBA Final starts so your not asking fans of both sports to stay inside almost every night for 2 weeks. It would also get your trophy awarded before most kids are out for summer and families start taking summer trips.

People are thinking about hockey less and less when it gets warm. I'm obsessed with this sport and will watch the Final every year no matter what. But the most common response I get when I'm declining plans to watch the Cup Final is "hockey is still going?" 2 fewer weeks of hot/humid weather contributing to garbage ice conditions in the playoffs would be great too.

I think the negatives of starting a season a week or two earlier would be dramatically outweighed by the positives of getting your season done before June.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Historically, the Cup was awarded in April and then eventually mid-late May. It wasn't until the early 1990s when it started creeping into June. Bobby Orr's famous Cup-winning goal was scored on May 10. The Habs have only lifted the Cup in June once. The Isles dynasty won all their Cups in May. Same with the Oilers. It has been awarded in June for the last 20+ years, but I don't think that is enough reason to say that it always has to be that way.

I would like to just start the regular season a week or two earlier rather than compressing the schedule. Cup Final ratings are pretty pathetic outside of the 2 markets playing. June is one of the hardest times of year to keep people inside the house during the evenings and the Final is usually the exact same 2 weeks as the NBA Final. I think you would see a noticeable boost to ratings if you could have your championship wrapped up before the NBA Final starts so your not asking fans of both sports to stay inside almost every night for 2 weeks. It would also get your trophy awarded before most kids are out for summer and families start taking summer trips.

People are thinking about hockey less and less when it gets warm. I'm obsessed with this sport and will watch the Final every year no matter what. But the most common response I get when I'm declining plans to watch the Cup Final is "hockey is still going?" 2 fewer weeks of hot/humid weather contributing to garbage ice conditions in the playoffs would be great too.

I think the negatives of starting a season a week or two earlier would be dramatically outweighed by the positives of getting your season done before June.
Understood. If we go back further, we also have fewer teams and different formats. The last 20 years is all that really matters.

Compress the schedule by 2 weeks and I'm happy. It can be done, but I don't see it happening. Sux

Anyway,

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Understood. If we go back further, we also have fewer teams and different formats. The last 20 years is all that really matters.

Compress the schedule by 2 weeks and I'm happy. It can be done, but I don't see it happening. Sux

Anyway,
Speaking of things that will never happen, let's just shorten the regular season by 6 games.

4 games vs each of the 7 other teams in your division and 2 games vs each of the other 24 teams. 76 total games, no further condensing needed to get the Final out of June and you have a nice balanced schedule that emphasizes division matchups.

Who cares about lost revenue, right? :naughty:

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

American teams don’t like early start. Competes with baseball and nfl and college football.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
American teams don’t like early start. Competes with baseball and nfl and college football.
Oh I know the argument behind it. I think it is enormously short-sighted though.

99% of college football is on Saturday morning/afternoon and the NHL plays almost all of their Saturday games at night. College football in September is mostly non-conference blowouts too, so I'd rather open my season against those than open my season just when the top teams start playing real opponents. As it stands now, the NHL opens the season right when Conference play begins and college football starts getting really fun.

Avoid scheduling many Sunday/Monday games and you are only going against the Thursday NFL games that the league locks behind an NFL Network or Amazon prime paywall. The bulk of NHL games are Tue/Thu/Sat, so that isn't a huge issue. We're talking less than 10 total games that would be going against an NFL game each year.

The NHL competes with the MLB on both ends of the schedule, so you're just changing which games your competing with. I'd rather compete against baseball when two-thirds of the MLB is playing out the string (either clearly eliminated or clearly making the playoffs) and the weather is cooling down than competing with baseball in a month that is stereotypically baseball season.

I know why the NHL doesn't want to be in September, but I think that the actual downsides are pretty slight. Especially when the upside is getting your championship away from the championship of a significantly more popular sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce