GDT: WCQF Game 3 | Anaheim @ Detroit | 7:30 PM EST | FSD / CNBC / TSN

crashman

Because he's a mediocre hockey player who plays sissy hockey.
He's also not very good defensively. Better than Bert, possibly

How does he play sissy hockey? He's never been afraid to muck it up in the corners and in front of the net.

He was very good during both of our playoff runs in 2008 and 2009. I think people are sour on him for no good reason.

I'm just pissed that he hasn't been healthy all season and that he's has a pretty decent cap hit next season, but I always thought he was a useful player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sameheda

Sep 28, 2011
Texas
Cool to see Helm skating in practice.

I know they said he's out for the season, but how insanely awesome would it be if he came back in round 2 or something? I'd **** myself.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

I know they said he's out for the season, but how insanely awesome would it be if he came back in round 2 or something? I'd **** myself.

Yep, I have been holding out hope for that. I think if we were to make it through, especially if this series goes the distance, he will be back for round 2. That would be a HUGE boost!

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

He hasn't been ruled out for the season. Babcock says he's coaching under the assumption he wont be back, but if he was ruled out he wouldn't be practicing.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
How does he play sissy hockey? He's never been afraid to muck it up in the corners and in front of the net.

He was very good during both of our playoff runs in 2008 and 2009. I think people are sour on him for no good reason.

I'm just pissed that he hasn't been healthy all season and that he's has a pretty decent cap hit next season, but I always thought he was a useful player.

That was 3 years ago. He's on the wrong side of 30 and hasn't been good or productive for at least 2 solid years now. Homer was good in his prime too. But after a certain point you are just not good enough anymore. You can't keep people on for what they did in the past. That's the fast track of being a bad team.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
I
167948090_slide.jpg

Don't stop the PAR- TAY!

edit: I just realized in the pic Babcock is still grumpy!!!

Babcock's face kills me. Only guy on the bench that looks pissed off. I can understand being upset about blowing a 3 goal lead, but scoring in OT should trump that if only for a minute.

kerjuxaxaxa

Nov 11, 2011
London
Babcock's face kills me. Only guy on the bench that looks pissed off. I can understand being upset about blowing a 3 goal lead, but scoring in OT should trump that if only for a minute.

he always has grumpy face. I'll always remember his gloomy facial expression at the last second of SCF game 6 in 08.

crashman

That was 3 years ago. He's on the wrong side of 30 and hasn't been good or productive for at least 2 solid years now. Homer was good in his prime too. But after a certain point you are just not good enough anymore. You can't keep people on for what they did in the past. That's the fast track of being a bad team.

He has to actually play to prove that he's not good, because when he does play he IS productive.

If you want to bag on him because he's always injured, that's fine by me, I think it's ridiculous how he missed virtually the entire season with these different injuries. But at least judge him on his actual performance. I don't think it's fair to call him a sissy player, mediocre or not good anymore if he hasn't played more than a couple games for us. He played pretty damn good for Vancouver (granted, he was on the Sedin line), but no one seems to give him credit for that.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
since it is enough in the playoffs playing only 2 periods of hockey it will be a boring game again. last game has been as well if there were no comeback from the ducks.

i guess we are leading 4-0 after two periods and the rest is a sloppy ride to the Win.
maybe the ducks score some in the third but this time it will not be enough.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Oh great, Lashoff's back over Cola and White?? And Sammy's now in for Bert and still no Tootoo. Bert did nothing bad last game so why pull him already. This loss should be realgud! Hope Jimmy's prepared to be busy tonight. no softies please!!

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

We have to make it out of round 1 first.;)

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011

They were in those years for sure. Anybody who complained about him in those years was an idiot. But he is getting up there in age and in the 2 games he did play this year he was atrocious and a liability on the ice. I'm nervous about him being in there, hopefully he steps his game up.

RedWingsNow*

They were in those years for sure. Anybody who complained about him in those years was an idiot. But he is getting up there in age and in the 2 games he did play this year he was atrocious and a liability on the ice. I'm nervous about him being in there, hopefully he steps his game up.

So everyone who thought Sammy sucked was an idiot?
OK:laugh:

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011

Actually if you watch the video, he excitedly shakes hands. And if you watched his post-game interview, he seemed thrilled about getting the split and it seemed to be all that mattered to him.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Let's go Wings! :yo:

here's what my preritual says.. for what it's worth

expect tight defensive game from ducks all game long. still wings will squeak a goal or two by being in right place right time.

rest of the game, Ducks goalie will play light out.

RedWingsNow*

Let's go Wings! :yo:

here's what my preritual says.. for what it's worth

expect tight defensive game from ducks all game long. still wings will squeak a goal or two by being in right place right time.

rest of the game, Ducks goalie will play light out.

I don't think either defense is very good.

I don't expect a tight defensive game.
If I'm the ducks, I try to hammer our defense into submission.
If I'm the Wings, I attack with gusto.

Their D is slow.

Our D is inexperienced.

Both goalies are suspect

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Fine with me. I love Bert and thought he may make a couple impact plays on Thursday. But alas, he did not and was invisible out there.

But did people expect anything else from a 38 year old who hasn't played in 3 months?

Not that I care about a Bert-Sammy swap (same ****, different smell), but I honestly will never understand Babcock's logic in yanking people in and out of the lineup when he isn't even giving them a chance in the first place. In what world will a 38 year old benefit from getting 7 minutes of ice time in his first game in 3 months, and then be scratched the next game?

If he honestly expected more from Bert and was planning on giving him more ice time to begin with, then he needs to know his players better. If his plan actually was to give him ~7 minutes of TOI, then the only point in doing so for a guy like that is if you're going to ease him into the lineup over a few games.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I don't think either defense is very good.

I don't expect a tight defensive game.
If I'm the ducks, I try to hammer our defense into submission.
If I'm the Wings, I attack with gusto.

Their D is slow.

Our D is inexperienced.

Both goalies are suspect

meh it's like what fortune teller tells me. nothing to do with what I think. It's been proven more right than wrong.. but just a fun reading material before the game.

as for how I think the game will play out... I guess we can say heavy pressure from Ducks forwards are pretty much expected early on. I think the game can really go either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad