GDT: WCQF Game #2 | St. Louis Blues @ Winnipeg Jets | "Do we look nervous?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Couldn't agree more. He had a brutal 1st period....taking several big hits and a bad turnover to avoid a big hit. Clearly not good, but the way he is hammered on this board is comical. I thought ALL the young guys (Dunn, Thomas and Sanford) were tentative in the first period. The Jets were pounding anything that moved and they were all gripping the sticks a little too tight. He is the 12th forward! He had maybe 2 shifts the rest of the game. The first was a good one where the 4th line kept the Jets pinned in their own end. The other one was the one where he almost scored on a redirect. If he looks horrible tonight then he should sit. But I have never seen a board so enamored with hammering a 4th line player. Other players make the same mistakes he makes and it goes without mention. He almost scores on a redirect and instead of "damn that almost went in", we hear "I can't believe he didn't finish that, he needs to sit". It just cracks me up. I guess everyone here knows more than Chief....lol.

He's a talented player and there's little doubt about that. The issue is with his intensity, determination, physical play. He gives up on plays far to easily, the puck is taken from him far to easily. Look at ROR or Schwartz and their hounding of the puck constantly Hell look at Barbashev. Sanford simply does not have the never quit attitude that a player needs. We rag on everyone when they give up easily or coast and even Tarasenko has been ragged on when he does it. Sanford has been doing this for months and it's reaching a boiling point of fans being suck of his f***ing shit.

tkenney65

Dec 21, 2017
He's a talented player and there's little doubt about that. The issue is with his intensity, determination, physical play. He gives up on plays far to easily, the puck is taken from him far to easily. Look at ROR or Schwartz and their hounding of the puck constantly Hell look at Barbashev. Sanford simply does not have the never quit attitude that a player needs. We rag on everyone when they give up easily or coast and even Tarasenko has been ragged on when he does it. Sanford has been doing this for months and it's reaching a boiling point of fans being suck of his ****ing ****.

I agree with you about his lack of drive to the puck (I also think he could finish his checks more than he does). He clearly doesn't have that "extra gear", but I don't attribute that to a lack of intensity. Not everyone is as fast on the puck as ROR or even Robert Thomas or Jayden Schwartz. I think his turnover in the first period was bad the other night (whether or not it hit the stat sheet), but I think people are overstating how much Sanford turns the puck over in his own zone. Does he land on his a$$ more than others......I would say yes, but he also gets the puck off the boards high in the defensive zone and out of the zone more than people are giving him credit for (not withstanding period 1 the other night). Speed to the puck is great, but if you can't play well defensively from a positioning standpoint your risk of giving up goals via odd-man rushes increases (see Fabbri, Kyrou). Sanford is rarely out of position in his own zone and that is why I think Chief plays him. Now if he plays like a dog tonight he should sit and put in either MacMac or Blais (if healthy). But let's not forward the notion that he doesn't give a sh!$....that just seems ludicrous.

Reactions: Bendak and simon IC

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
There is a reason our coaching keeps playing Sanford over "so many much better hockey players". Maybe it's because he is a better option than sammy "I'm suppose to stay healthy? "Blais and Robby " I had a good three month stretch three years ago and I look like a try real hard to people who watch me on tv and therefore think I am better than i really am" fabbri.

But hey it's a game day so let's all act like we are hockey experts and dissect every little thing a 4th liner does wrong. (Brian39 is excluded from my comment, dude provides actual insight)

Blues win and Sanford scores!
So basically you're saying aside from yourself there is only one other knowledgeable person on this entire forum? And all of your insights are the correct ones?

Reactions: Bendak

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
There is a reason our coaching keeps playing Sanford over "so many much better hockey players". Maybe it's because he is a better option than sammy "I'm suppose to stay healthy? "Blais and Robby " I had a good three month stretch three years ago and I look like a try real hard to people who watch me on tv and therefore think I am better than i really am" fabbri.

But hey it's a game day so let's all act like we are hockey experts and dissect every little thing a 4th liner does wrong. (Brian39 is excluded from my comment, dude provides actual insight)

So basically you're saying aside from yourself there is only one other knowledgeable person on this entire forum? And all of your insights are the correct ones?
It really doesn't take a whole lot of knowledge to watch the game and see that Sanford is struggling and has been for awhile. As to why the coaching staff hasn't made a line-up change, it's anyone's guess. However, they clearly weren't satisfied with his Game 1 or he would have logged more than 6:30

upload_2019-4-12_14-37-48.png

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I’m going to try and sync the TV up with the KMOX broadcast if I can. Kerbs/Joey V are way better than whatever CNBC is bringing.
I thought I heard on one of the games last night that it will be Gord Miller and Chicken Parm on the Blues game tonight, but that may be the TSN broadcast and not CNBC.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
It really doesn't take a whole lot of knowledge to watch the game and see that Sanford is struggling and has been for awhile. As to why the coaching staff hasn't made a line-up change, it's anyone's guess. However, they clearly weren't satisfied with his Game 1 or he would have logged more than 6:30

View attachment 213175
I don't understand the logic that if Sanford is replaced with one of Blais or Mac that it's going to expose defensive efficiencies on the 4th line. Wasn't that the idea the coaching staff had in mind when they decided to staple Steen to basically anchor that line? I'm by no means a Sanford hater, but Blais should be a more effective player for his role in a series like this. I wouldn't be worried about him skating himself out of position all over the ice just to drill guys into the boards, our coaching staff will let him know what they are expecting him to do to be a factor.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Appeal to authority. Classic.

HipsCzech

Nov 10, 2017
STL
If you haven't seen this it's worth a watch...pretty short and made me laugh harder than I expected.

I linked to the Blues bit but the whole video is entertaining.

Last edited:

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Bozak looked impressive in game 1. D looked pretty solid too. Gotta shut up the crowd early in this one.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I don't know why people are doggin' on Sanford so much, I get that he can be better but he wasn't terrible. He just needs to play a more aggressive assertive game and he'll be fine, I expect he'll be better tonight. I would be curious to see how Blais, MacMac, or even Fabbri would would look like with Steen and Barbie and if Sanny can't elevate his game someone else will get their chance. I'm willing to give Chief the benefit of the doubt on who he wants out there right now.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Sanford's been the obvious man out. I dont get playing him 6 minutes, and keeping him in there. Maybe Berube is concerned about the match-ups, but unless Sanford is trusted with more than 7 minutes, i want to see a healthy Blais out there. Barby/Steen more than make up for any of Blais positional short-comings. But im willing to give Bradford another chance.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yep.

Apparently nobody is allowed to voice their opinion on a player if they’re a 4th liner. Not important enough to discuss on a discussion board or something like that.

I don’t get it. Regular season, sure. But in the playoffs, every player on the ice matters. One bad play can change a game. That shouldn’t be rocket science. You see all the time how a 4th line can impact a series and people are over here acting like it’s irrelevant lol.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
In one sense, at least Sanford didn't take any penalties. I'm a bit concerned that Blais could be goaded into a stupid penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad