• Jets in 6

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • Jets in 7

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Some people are, for whatever reason, determined to dislike him as a player.
It is pretty simple... a fan favorite got traded for him. Fatty is far from a perfect player, but he was great last night. One play was bad... that was it.

I also think guys who are extreme distributors and don't play physical games are a little hard to appreciate. He's not laying big hits and he's not a big goal scorer... but he had 4-5 really good passes that setup chances. He won a ton of board battles and kept possession. He cycled incredibly well. On the first goal, that line cycled Winnipeg to death, in large part because of Fatty. To the point where they were just trying to clear the puck anyway possible and Manson and Nuke took advantage of a slow change. These are things that don't get recognized by most, but was huge in the game.

He went head to head with Schiefele for 8 minutes and only gave up 3 shots (now two of them went in FWIW) while producing 10. The xGF was 64/36 in favor of Mitts. Scheifele was 76/24 away from Mitts. If Mitts can play like that through the playoffs, the 2nd line can produce just a goal every other game and still be a huge advantage.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought Mitts was really good yesterday apart from when they had him at the point on the man advantage for some reason. At 5v5 he did exactly what was needed from him.

Must just be a coincidence that the person to initially call him out and make that Kadri comp is the probably Byram's biggest defender (apologist?) on this board.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Was that him or Nuke?
Mitts was the much bigger part of it. His defensive play was phenomenal last night.

As another snippet on this... Nuke played one extra minute against that line without Fatty. Shots were 1-3 in that extra minute.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Mitts was the much bigger part of it. His defensive play was phenomenal last night.

As another snippet on this... Nuke played one extra minute against that line without Fatty. Shots were 1-3 in that extra minute.

I will pay closer attention to Casey next game.

BTW this really isn’t about Byram for me as I wasn’t a huge fan of his and was fine trading him. I just haven’t been impressed with Casey so far and haven’t seen him be a consistent 2C like we need.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I will pay closer attention to Casey next game.

BTW this really isn’t about Byram for me as I wasn’t a huge fan of his and was fine trading him. I just haven’t been impressed with Casey so far and haven’t seen him be a consistent 2C like we need.

IMO outside of a 5 game stretch in at the start of April (Minny through Winnipeg), he's been pretty great. The offense has not always been there, but he's just not a guy who is going to finish a ton. If you don't give him a finisher, he probably caps around the ES point every other game (maybe a tad more). The defense has been phenomenal though. He pulled the toughest matchups and produced amongst the best on the team. Where he got murdered was a sub 88% goalie behind him.

He could just be a 50 point guy if he plays this level of defense. I wouldn't even care a bit because it has been Danault level.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I know it's hindsight after getting sub AHL level goaltending last night.

But there's a lot of talk that some of the weird results in the last week or so of the season was trying to slip down into the wildcard when it looked like the Avs could get ahead of Dallas.

Teams wanted to play the Avs. Aside from perhaps Nashville the Avs are easily the most beatable team in the West. Only the Caps are an easier out in the East.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Another positive to take away from last nights game was that the jets wanted to bully us at the beginning and that did not happen. I was concerned on that front but the boys matched and even surpassed what the jets had in mind. I’m no stats guy but I don’t think it’s very common to have more hits when carrying the play like the Avs did last night.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 12.08.47 PM.png

This is what gives me hope for the series. Jets obviously didn't play a perfect game, but I think the majority of their lack of success was because we played our game. If we can continue to play our game, and we can get some sort of save from a goaltender, there's no reason to think we cannot win this series handsomely.

This should have been the game the jets came out gunning, game 1 in front of the home crowd when you just wrestled home-ice advantage. No way you want to come out and lose it straight away. And yet, the Avs stomped them, apart from the whole goals thing, haha.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
View attachment 857414

This is what gives me hope for the series. Jets obviously didn't play a perfect game, but I think the majority of their lack of success was because we played our game. If we can continue to play our game, and we can get some sort of save from a goaltender, there's no reason to think we cannot win this series handsomely.

This should have been the game the jets came out gunning, game 1 in front of the home crowd when you just wrestled home-ice advantage. No way you want to come out and lose it straight away. And yet, the Avs stomped them, apart from the whole goals thing, haha.

This is just disgusting to look at. Man f*** George.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Just outscore our issues in game 2. Come home with a little momentum.
Game last night was as close as you can come to "outscoring your issues". We scored 6 f***ing goals on the Vezina winner to be. We didn't even need mediocre goaltending, even bad goaltending should have won the game for us. Instead we got historically bad goaltending, which is why we lost.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
View attachment 857414

It’s quite clear after last night the Avs were mentally done with the regular season the last while and waiting for the playoffs to start. The Jets have been criticized for their playoff performances before and while I expect him and them to be better than last night, Helle is largely either on or off in the playoffs

This Avs team with competent/average goaltending should be able to take this series in 5-6 (had they gotten it from game 1). Now relying on Georgie or Annunen is a crapshoot and I still expect the Jets to pull this off especially if Juice is still sick next game but they’re going to be in for a rude awakening against Dallas/Vegas. It’ll be the sweep Edmonton only to immediately be swept by the Habs all over for them (though they may play more games in one or both series this time)

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Maybe it will be like the Calgary series a few years back. Lose game 1 on the road despite outplaying the flames and then went on to win the next 4.

Only difference is that game felt like a playoff game. Last night didn’t inspire a lot of confidence in any 2-1 OT wins.

Reactions: The Moops

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
It’s quite clear after last night the Avs were mentally done with the regular season the last while and waiting for the playoffs to start. The Jets have been criticized for their playoff performances before and while I expect him and them to be better than last night, Helle is largely either on or off in the playoffs

This Avs team with competent/average goaltending should be able to take this series in 5-6 (had they gotten it from game 1). Now relying on Georgie or Annunen is a crapshoot and I still expect the Jets to pull this off especially if Juice is still sick next game but they’re going to be in for a rude awakening against Dallas/Vegas. It’ll be the sweep Edmonton only to immediately be swept by the Habs all over for them (though they may play more games in one or both series this time)
Naaaaah bro. This series is in the bag! We got this! :naughty:

I'm so tired of talking about goalies. Bednar/Sakic/MacF will do what they will at this point, I just hope last night's embarrassment is enough to cause something to change, but I guess we wait and find out.

GO AVS

f*** the Jets, they scraped past a historically bad goalie performance. Not a good look.

1713810570039.png

Reactions: GeoRox89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad