Pre-Game Talk: WCQF: [2] Minnesota Wild -vs- St. Louis Blues [3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Forward Lines in practice today, per Korac.

Schwartz-Barbashev-Tarasenko
Paajarvi-Berglund-Perron
Sobotka-Lehtera-Steen
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves.

Bortuzzo wasn't on the ice. Neither was Yak.

I sure hope Yeo knows what he's doing...

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Forward Lines in practice today, per Korac.

Schwartz-Barbashev-Tarasenko
Paajarvi-Berglund-Perron
Sobotka-Lehtera-Steen
Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves.

Bortuzzo wasn't on the ice. Neither was Yak.

Geez, seems like the Blues should be heavy underdogs in this series. Hopefully Minnesota's funk will be in full effect. If Yeo gets this squad to challenge for the series, that's a solid coaching job.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Luke Opilka gonna be a black ace with the Blues this postseason. He practiced with the team today.

I sure hope Yeo knows what he's doing...

My only reasoning for this is Sobotka just isn't up to speed enough on pace and play for top line minutes. I know it will be a lot of responsibility for Barbie, but he has stepped up in every aspect so far this year.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
This team really needs to get the first goal in games. Like it or not, Allen is going to have to carry this team through the series. That offensive line-up is put together with duct tape and spit. Barbashev has been a revelation, but expecting a rookie to come in and suddenly step up to center the 1st line is pretty crazy. Hopefully it will work out OK for a couple games. But he loses a LOT of face-offs at this stage of his career. I think that's a problem. At least we're not putting Steen at center (though if you see that happen, its an ill omen).

Sobotka needs to get into playing shape and catch on quick. Lehtera will be needed too. I sure hope Stastny comes back rolling.

I'll take so much enjoyment from watching this team win a series if they manage it with these young guys.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The way some Wild posters talk about Tarasenko, as though he just scores inconsequential goals, I would really like to see him put a little fear into their hearts this series. The condescending attitudes are getting thick.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The way some Wild posters talk about Tarasenko, as though he just scores inconsequential goals, I would really like to see him put a little fear into their hearts this series. The condescending attitudes are getting thick.

What I find annoying is how Wild fans keep talking about how the outcome of the series will be solely determined based on how the Wild play. Apparently it doesn't matter how well the Blues play because the Wild are the superior team on paper and if they lose it's due to them not showing up. I'm sure if the Wild lose this series their fans will refuse to give credit to the Blues and instead talk about how their team didn't show up, etc.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
With the way Yeo treats Vladi different then Hitch did. I can see Tarasenko given an even larger role in creating scoring chances this post season. I just hope Vladi turns it up like he did against the Hawks and Stars last year.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Which is insane if you look at the stats. A ridiculously high portion of his goals over the last 3 years either tie the game or break a tie. Without refreshing my memory on those stats, I think he had a few more "meaningless" goals this year, but I highly doubt it was even half of his goals.

What I find annoying is how Wild fans keep talking about how the outcome of the series will be solely determined based on how the Wild play. Apparently it doesn't matter how well the Blues play because the Wild are the superior team on paper and if they lose it's due to them not showing up. I'm sure if the Wild lose this series their fans will refuse to give credit to the Blues and instead talk about how their team didn't show up, etc.

Hmmm, that sounds exactly how many of us sounded 2 years ago the last time we played them when we were the favorites.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Hmmm, that sounds exactly how many of us sounded 2 years ago the last time we played them when we were the favorites.

Exactly this. There are still plenty on this board that will not give Wild credit for beating the Blues in that post season.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
These practice lines look like Yeo is trying to put a trigger man on each line. I hope Steen and Sobotka can find some chemistry because I never really thought there was any with Lehtera and Steen.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

I wasn't a fan of how Blues fans acted back then either. Some of the stuff I saw posted by Blues fans on the main board threads made me cringe.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Luke Opilka gonna be a black ace with the Blues this postseason. He practiced with the team today.

My only reasoning for this is Sobotka just isn't up to speed enough on pace and play for top line minutes. I know it will be a lot of responsibility for Barbie, but he has stepped up in every aspect so far this year.

Bolded: that's awesome, good for Luke! I have a lot of doubts about him as a prospect, but hopefully he makes me look like an idiot. :)

I think you're probably right about Sobotka, must be tough to go from chilling on your couch for ~10 days to suddenly jumping back into the NHL playoffs with only a handful of practices and single regular season game to get up to speed. We need him to acclimate quickly. He brings a lot to the table, particularly on the FO dot and defensively. If he is a factor this series then I like our chances.

I am really worried about Barb, especially playing on the road with Boudreau controlling the matchups. Barb's defensive game still needs a lot of work, goals like this one by Carolina cannot happen against the wild.

[NHL2]/t-283478084/c-51242003[/NHL2]

But, like you say, Barb has stepped up to every other challenge thrown his way so far. Hopefully he can hold down the fort until Stastny is back.

Lol that was my first thought as well.

I am a bit surprised by the high level of confidence from a lot of Minnesota fans...usually they seem much more pessimistic as a group. Personally, I think there is some hubris going on here. If the Blues can steal game 1 I think we will see some wild fans confidence implode :laugh:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Exactly this. There are still plenty on this board that will not give Wild credit for beating the Blues in that post season.

Well, I can't give them too much credit. Their performance against Chicago totally undermined the notion that they were playing great. It looks a lot more like the Blues just didn't show up.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm pretty terrified for the Gunnarsson-Schmaltz pairing. Bortuzzo wouldn't make it any better either. I'm expecting the top 4 will get a lot of minutes.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I dig the practice lines

I look at them and can't figure out how this team has kept winning.

I think expectations of Sobotka are ridiculous. If he can be a serviceable top 9 player (not even a center) it will be a pleasant surprise. If he'd had a couple more weeks to get up to speed, it would have made a big difference. Maybe he can take draws (assuming he can perform like he did 3 years ago).

The Blues need a hero to step forward. They need the defensive big name guys to play lights out. They need Allen to stop everything he can. They need someone like Paajarvi or Perron to become a goal-scoring threat (not good enough to just neutralize the line they play against). And they need the 4th line to play better than it has the past couple weeks.

There are more ways for things to go wrong and the Wild to have a decided advantage than there are ways for the Wild to have trouble. Winning Game 1 would be huge. Scoring first is going to be important. I really hope Tarasenko goes into beast mode. I so much would like to see some of the smug Wild posters have to concede that he has an elite shot and an assassin's sensibility. And I'd like Parayko to blast Dubnyk on his bean with a full-force slapper. For the rest of the series, he'd be diving out of the way after that.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm with 2MM regarding Sobotka. He's not going no to be up to speed to be effective playing in the top six. He'll be solid depth and will help on the third line but I'm not ready to throw him on the top line. I think our best option at this point, like it or not, is to run Barbashev with Schwartz and Tarasenko. Yeah we'll be on the road, but I don't expect Tarasenko to be getting a lot of defensive zone draws.

I feel pretty confident Berglund is going to pull the tough defensive zone matchups on the road.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Most painless way and don't leave nothing to speculate. Wild will sweep us.

FJJz85y.png

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Wild fan coming in peace.

Is it safe to assume that this is probably gonna be all y'alls lines for tomorrow?

I am making Minnesota's game 1 GDT and just wanted to be sure :)

I wouldn't make that assumption. The only line that is set in stone is the 4th line. First line C, 2nd line LW, and the entire 3rd line could change depending on how Yeo sleeps tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad