WCQF: (2) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
That was ugly. Have to give props to the Sharks because they didn't let us get anything going. I hate our dump and chase system, but it is what it is, but even then the Sharks didn't let us get one puck from a dump in.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ducks were the better team at even strength in the first, I thought. The Sharks were better in the second but it took what I felt was a soft Getzlaf slash to go 5 on 3 for them to get on the board. Everything after that was momentum built and capitalized on stemming from that. And the 3rd period the Sharks defended well and didn't allow many dangerous chances for the amount of time the Ducks were controlling the puck.

I thought Gibson looked great but there was a moment there during the 2nd where he looked either uncomfortable or still dealing with his injury nagging him or something like that. Can't fault him for any of the goals against. First one was Lindholm leaving the front of the net in that situation leaving Kane all alone. A 3 on 1 that was executed pretty damn good by Pavelski. And a seeing-eye Burns shot that could've very easily hopped his stick or been blocked by the traffic in front or whipped wide with the setup leading up to that shot since he one-timed a flipped puck pretty much.

I think the game goes completely different if Anaheim pots a goal on one of their opportunities in the first and I suspect that will happen in game two.
Yeah, but we were damn sloppy. Getzy completely gave away some passes to Sharks players and that`s... rare. Lindholm made a couple of crucial defensive mistakes which is... also rare.
Overall we didn`t look as dangerous as Sharks, too - we didn`t had that many dangerous chances. I`m pretty upset with the Ducks effort, we looked off.
Sure a lot of that has to do that Sharks played well, but we looked like a team that went out there to make mistakes.

Reactions: ScarTroy

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Nothing like having a good doughnut to start off the day. And so it begins ;)

doughnut_39559.jpg

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Kesler's line controlled most of the play at even strength against the Kane/Pavelski duo, good news for the Ducks if they can stay out of the box.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Bad night for the ducks to play on of the least inspired, god awful, games of the last few years. Also, bad night for me to blow my wad on glass tickets.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kesler's line controlled most of the play at even strength against the Kane/Pavelski duo, good news for the Ducks if they can stay out of the box.

I expect the Kesler line to control play whoever they play against. The issue is what is given up on the other end. In Getzlaf's case, he was pretty good controlling play as well but they gave up some dangerous chances against especially to the Couture-Hertl duo. The other thing is that the 3rd line matchup favored the Sharks. Even if Kesler's line controls play against Kane and Pavelski, if Getzlaf gets beat by the Couture-Hertl duo and Tierney's line continues to beat Henrique's line, they can't win on most nights.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Too bad you don't have a cup to wash that down with. ;)

Funny, I know this homeless guy and you would swear he was a Ducks fan if you met him. He drinks sewer water out of this one Cup that he got 11 years ago, never washes it, and it looks like he'll never get another one. Despite this fact, he still brags all the time about this one Cup he has that he got 11 years ago!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I expect the Kesler line to control play whoever they play against. The issue is what is given up on the other end. In Getzlaf's case, he was pretty good controlling play as well but they gave up some dangerous chances against especially to the Couture-Hertl duo. The other thing is that the 3rd line matchup favored the Sharks. Even if Kesler's line controls play against Kane and Pavelski, if Getzlaf gets beat by the Couture-Hertl duo and Tierney's line continues to beat Henrique's line, they can't win on most nights.
I think the getz line will figure it out next game, they didnt look good at all last night. Most of our forwards looked pretty out of it tho... kase silf and brown were the only 1s that looked okay imo

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Funny, I know this homeless guy and you would swear he was a Ducks fan if you met him. He drinks sewer water out of this one Cup that he got 11 years ago, never washes it, and it looks like he'll never get another one. Despite this fact, he still brags all the time about this one Cup he has that he got 11 years ago!
To be fair its a pretty nice cup ;) even for a homeless guy

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
You should see his neighbor up north.....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the getz line will figure it out next game, they didnt look good at all last night. Most of our forwards looked pretty out of it tho... kase silf and brown were the only 1s that looked okay imo

The Getzlaf line is going to need a little help from the coaches when it comes to matchups though. The more that Hertl-Couture-Boedker and Vlasic-Braun are out there against the Getzlaf line, the more ineffective that line is going to be. That five man group is a really effective shutdown group while also being an effective scoring group.

Reactions: Getz2perry

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
And he still drinks better than the guys who never found a cup

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The Getzlaf line is going to need a little help from the coaches when it comes to matchups though. The more that Hertl-Couture-Boedker and Vlasic-Braun are out there against the Getzlaf line, the more ineffective that line is going to be. That five man group is a really effective shutdown group while also being an effective scoring group.

I think the biggest threat to the Sharks is if Carlyle is able to get that Getzlaf line out against Chris Tierney.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016

That's really funny. Because I know a homeless guy as well and I swear he is a Shark fan. Unfortunately, he chokes all of the time whenever he eats or takes his pills because he doesn't even have a Cup to drink water out of. What is really sad is that it looks like he will never be able to stop choking because he'll never get another chance at a Cup, because he choked that last chance he had to get one.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

uYVn2.gif

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Dominate, smart game by the Sharks. Gotta give them credit. It will be interesting to see if they Ducks come out ready to play in game 2. They really looked un-focused out there.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I think the biggest threat to the Sharks is if Carlyle is able to get that Getzlaf line out against Chris Tierney.

Obviously, most 1st vs 3rd matchups aren't going to be good. I do think Tierney and company are solid enough to not get dominated and they have the speed and skill to counter-attack so with limited minutes I can see the situation where Getz win the possession battle but the scoring chances are close to even.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Obviously, most 1st vs 3rd matchups aren't going to be good. I do think Tierney and company are solid enough to not get dominated and they have the speed and skill to counter-attack so with limited minutes I can see the situation where Getz win the possession battle but the scoring chances are close to even.

In the regular season, the Getzlaf line got thrown out against Tierney for the majority of one game (I think it was actually that 6-2 blowout win) and Tierney got completely destroyed in every metric.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In the regular season, the Getzlaf line got thrown out against Tierney for the majority of one game (I think it was actually that 6-2 blowout win) and Tierney got completely destroyed in every metric.

And funny enough, in game one, Tierney's line did win the occasional matchups that were had against the Getzlaf line. That is almost definitely due to Timo Meier's shooting mentality though so it only means so much since none of it was dangerous.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Great game and gameplan by the Sharks.

If Carlyle doesn't make adjustments and get this team to be more composed, this is going to be a short series. Time to start playing hockey and stop worrying about the sideshow, boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad