WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You really think the NHL is worried about their stars being upstaged by some pros from Switzerland or wherever else?

It's not a question of "upstaging." It's a question of the NHL's tournament including Slovaks and Swiss from Euro leagues when it could include more NHLers instead.

I would bet many owners would rather rake in the money without risking injury to their star players right before the season starts. Are you aware that some owners aren't happy at all when their players get picked for these teams for that very reason?

The same logic could apply to NHL pre-season play.

NHL owners are OK with the world cup because a) all profits are kept in-house, and b) it is seen as a potential way for the league to back out of the Olympics.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My responses in red:

It's not a question of "upstaging." It's a question of the NHL's tournament including Slovaks and Swiss from Euro leagues when it could include more NHLers instead.

You keep saying that like a mantra, more NHLers, more NHLers, the NHL wants more NHLers, must have more NHLers without explaining what the benefit would be. I'm tired of going around in circles here so I'll leave you to it.

The same logic could apply to NHL pre-season play.

No not really, I hope I don't have to explain why.

NHL owners are OK with the world cup because a) all profits are kept in-house, and b) it is seen as a potential way for the league to back out of the Olympics.

There's zero proof for this and it doesn't make sense anyway. Perhaps you're not aware that there were Canada/World Cups long before NHL players were allowed in the Olympics, go figure.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You keep saying that like a mantra, more NHLers, more NHLers, the NHL wants more NHLers, must have more NHLers without explaining what the benefit would be.

Do I really need to explain the benefits of a league featuring their own stars over those of other leagues? It would feel patronizing to explain such a thing.

No not really, I hope I don't have to explain why.

So injuries are impossible in pre-season play? Good to know.

There's zero proof for this and it doesn't make sense anyway.

Except there is proof that the NHL wants to bail on the Olympics.

"I think the World Cup may be influential in terms of how we ultimately decide, because if it’s as successful as we hope it’ll be and we think it’ll be, the Olympics becomes far less important, to the players, even," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. "If the World Cup’s a big deal, best-on-best tournament, why do we need to go to the Olympics?"

So let's not pretend the league doesn't want out of the Olympics and that the world cup doesn't play a role in their thinking.

If these idiots have their way the future of "best on best" hockey could consist of Team Left-Handed vs Team Scandinavia vs Team [MOD] vs Team North America.

Perhaps you're not aware that there were Canada/World Cups long before NHL players were allowed in the Olympics, go figure.

And they're looking to go back to that format now only with a preference for NHL-centered gimmicks.

Not sure why you think that contradicts what I've said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Do I really need to explain the benefits of a league featuring their own stars over those of other leagues? It would feel patronizing to explain such a thing.

[MOD]

So injuries are impossible in pre-season play? Good to know.

If you think the chances of injury are no greater in the World Cup then in pre-season when stars don't play a ton anyway then I don't know what to tell ya.

Except there is proof that the NHL wants to bail on the Olympics.

"I think the World Cup may be influential in terms of how we ultimately decide, because if it’s as successful as we hope it’ll be and we think it’ll be, the Olympics becomes far less important, to the players, even," deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. "If the World Cup’s a big deal, best-on-best tournament, why do we need to go to the Olympics?"

So let's not pretend the league doesn't want out of the Olympics and that the world cup doesn't play a role in their thinking.

If the NHL wants out of the Olympics, it's probably because the IOC won't cover expenses. If that's the way it goes, I for one am happy to have the World Cup instead as opposed to nothing. Or to put it another way, the World Cup isn't the reason for not going to the Olympics if that's what happens regardless of how people misinterpret the meaning of this quote. It is perhaps a warning to the IOC, let's hope those arrogant idiots are paying attention.

If these idiots have their way the future of "best on best" hockey could consist of Team Left-Handed vs Team Scandinavia vs Team [MOD] vs Team North America.

[MOD]

And they're looking to go back to that format now only with a preference for NHL-centered gimmicks.

Not sure why you think that contradicts what I've said.

So 90% of tickets have been sold hmm, not to shabby for a bust. :laugh: Single game tickets haven't been available, it's the summer so people aren't paying attention, tickets are expensive, the Blue Jays are in a pennant race, the Olympics are going on plus I've been told nobody cares about this event ... how did this happen? :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If the NHL wants out of the Olympics, it's probably because the IOC won't cover expenses. If that's the way it goes, I for one am happy to have the World Cup instead as opposed to nothing. Or to put it another way, the World Cup isn't the reason for not going to the Olympics if that's what happens regardless of how people misinterpret the meaning of this quote. It is perhaps a warning to the IOC, let's hope those arrogant idiots are paying attention.

So you apparently haven't followed these things for very long. The NHL talked about not going to the Olympics years before Sochi, when the IOC was still paying for everything. Talk turned to stopping Olympic participation after 2006, though everyone agreed that the NHL wouldn't skip the opportunity presented in Vancouver. The NHL has wanted out long before this IOC issue existed.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
So 90% of tickets have been sold hmm, not to shabby for a bust. :laugh: Single game tickets haven't been available, it's the summer so people aren't paying attention, tickets are expensive, the Blue Jays are in a pennant race, the Olympics are going on plus I've been told nobody cares about this event ... how did this happen? :laugh:
I'm not sure. The internet servers must be clearly lying to us because there is no way that many tickets are sold already. Come on. No one really cares about the tournament, this must be some kind of a mistake. Let's be realistic.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I'm not sure. The internet servers must be clearly lying to us because there is no way that many tickets are sold already. Come on. No one really cares about the tournament, this must be some kind of a mistake. Let's be realistic.

Again only a certain portion of tickets are sold through ticketmaster. They can adjust prices better to market demand on sites like StubHub and VividSeats. Prices on Stubhub keep falling with 3000 -4000 remaining per game. Compare this to Leafs game with high prices and few tickets on reseller sites.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I see the viewpoint on the old CC's and world cup getting the soft touch treatment by European fans here now that they have such utter hate for this new version of the WC.

In the past from what I witnessed on this board the old CC's were given scant respect, it was called an NA tournament for NA(well mostly Canadian) fans with NHL refs on NA soil which clearly gave NA teams an unfair advantage and as such was an illegitimate international tournament and was looked at as such by most European posters.

Now, this is the first sign to me of some revisionist history being churned out regarding the CC's.

I am not surprised a new narrative concerning them is starting to be injected into the fold here.

I was not member of HF boards in 2004. But I would be very cautios to put all europeans to one group here. I also noticed here these complains about favouring Canada with their refs etc. But I am pretty sure it came from russian posters and fully honest I never thought before that somebody has this view on it. I was quite surprised that russians have such attitude towards it because I never heard it in Czech Republic. Dont know about Sweden and Finnland though.

I think I will focus more on european complains when I will response to Gary Nilund. What european fans share imo, is the +- traditional view on how the international tourneys should be organized and what they want see and enjoy there. In that terms european complains were pretty much predictable. But I wouldnt call it hate.

But what I see here, and that is a big difference and biggest surprise for me, that since they announced the concept, there was massive amount of canadian posters disagreeing with that. Considering that canadians ussually share the view on int. hockey and they logically tend to justify NHL or canadian product, this was the sign for me that NHL went too far and its even too much for its base....I wouldnt blame european fans here. Having U23 in senior tournament is simply too much outside of our box, plus we like our traditional olympics and see what our domestic leagues have to undergo while listening what NHL does not have to or want to. It was predictable reaction but I would say that a lot of NA fans are even more strict on that....Having all of their arguments seems to be very valid so I dont see the issue here. Looks like about 5 posters here are justifying WC, the rest more or less share the opposite view...

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So you apparently haven't followed these things for very long. The NHL talked about not going to the Olympics years before Sochi, when the IOC was still paying for everything. Talk turned to stopping Olympic participation after 2006, though everyone agreed that the NHL wouldn't skip the opportunity presented in Vancouver. The NHL has wanted out long before this IOC issue existed.

If they wanted out after Vancouver, why go to Socchi? Seems like something is missing from your narrative. Care to try again?

That's what I figure too. I'm surprised none of the people who seem to hate this tournament so much have explained what the reason is yet. Oh well, I'm sure someone will be along soon, we just have to be patient. ;)

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
On a positive note, ticket prices seem quite reasonable for many of the WCH games. I would rather see any of the tournament games than a Leafs game. Enjoy the opportunity I say!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That's what I figure too. I'm surprised none of the people who seem to hate this tournament so much have explained what the reason is yet. Oh well, I'm sure someone will be along soon, we just have to be patient. ;)

It comes from a passion for international hockey. Many of the most vocal critics are absolute die hard international hockey fans.

Their criticisms are not unreasonable. I'm kind of in the middle, I support their arguments and view their position as being well articulated criticisms. However, I'm still going to be watching the tournament. I've accepted the asterisk that will have to be attached and it frustrates me that our current Golden Era is being tampered with by these non-national teams.

Perhaps the main elephant in the room is the Olympics. The NHL has made reference to this possibly supplanting the Olympics. In my view, they would be completely arrogant and short-sighted to forego the Olympics. The hold-up appears to be mostly the insurance costs. The IOC is refusing to cover it, thus the NHL would be paying out of pocket to go. Can't entirely blame them for opposing that, hopefully they negotiate with the TV networks, IOC, and IIHF to find a way to cover these costs.

I really think they'll find a way to between NBC/CBC, IOC, and IIHF to cover the costs. With the ratings plummeting in Canada after the NHL meddled in our Hockey Night in Canada traditions, combined with poor coverage of the game by Sportsnet/Rogers, the NHL would be unwise to take the Olympics from Canadians. The 2016 WHC delivered great ratings for TSN, the love of hockey isn't going anywhere in Canada.

Maybe find a way to partner up with NBC/TSN and hopefully they'll find a way to come up with the money. I believe NBC paid somewhere around $1 billion for the rights to cover the Olympics, and hockey is a major draw. Solutions are available still.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If they wanted out after Vancouver, why go to Socchi? Seems like something is missing from your narrative. Care to try again?

It's not my narrative. It was discussed for years in the media that basically the players wanted to participate but the league didn't. This is common knowledge. [MOD]
https://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/hockey/2014/01/28/sochi_2014_nhl_players_drive_olympic_participation_bettman_says_cox.html

That dates the NHL's distaste for going to the Olympics back to 2004. [MOD]

What does hating this tournament have to do with the ticket sales? No reasonable person expects the tournament to not sell many tickets. It's a hockey tournament in Canada. The buzz is low for this tournament, but there are many reasons for that beyond even the tournament itself.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My responses in red:

It comes from a passion for international hockey. Many of the most vocal critics are absolute die hard international hockey fans.

I'm also a die hard fan when it comes to the best players in the world playing, I've been watching since it all started in 1972 and am thrilled we're getting another chance in a few weeks. It's also hard for me to understand the vitriol coming from some of these "fans". :yo:

Their criticisms are not unreasonable. I'm kind of in the middle, I support their arguments and view their position as being well articulated criticisms. However, I'm still going to be watching the tournament. I've accepted the asterisk that will have to be attached and it frustrates me that our current Golden Era is being tampered with by these non-national teams.

I also agree with most of the criticisms, I dunno about them being well articulated though, seems to me like much of it is over the top hysteria. I'm also not too worried about our Golden Era but that's just me, I get what you're saying.

Perhaps the main elephant in the room is the Olympics. The NHL has made reference to this possibly supplanting the Olympics. In my view, they would be completely arrogant and short-sighted to forego the Olympics. The hold-up appears to be mostly the insurance costs. The IOC is refusing to cover it, thus the NHL would be paying out of pocket to go. Can't entirely blame them for opposing that, hopefully they negotiate with the TV networks, IOC, and IIHF to find a way to cover these costs.

I really think they'll find a way to between NBC/CBC, IOC, and IIHF to cover the costs. With the ratings plummeting in Canada after the NHL meddled in our Hockey Night in Canada traditions, combined with poor coverage of the game by Sportsnet/Rogers, the NHL would be unwise to take the Olympics from Canadians. The 2016 WHC delivered great ratings for TSN, the love of hockey isn't going anywhere in Canada.

I don't think Canadian fans would be nearly as upset as Euro fans. As long as there is a World Cup without gimmick teams next time that is, I assume that will be the case.

Maybe find a way to partner up with NBC/TSN and hopefully they'll find a way to come up with the money. I believe NBC paid somewhere around $1 billion for the rights to cover the Olympics, and hockey is a major draw. Solutions are available still.

I hope so too and I completely agree, it's possible this will all still be worked out.

It's not my narrative. It was discussed for years in the media that basically the players wanted to participate but the league didn't. This is common knowledge. [MOD]

I said your narrative because you're the one who brought it up now. [MOD]

https://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/hockey/2014/01/28/sochi_2014_nhl_players_drive_olympic_participation_bettman_says_cox.html

That dates the NHL's distaste for going to the Olympics back to 2004. [MOD]

[MOD]

You're hugely overstating his didn't want to go stuff, nobody is forcing them to go or not to go - like any other business, they weigh the pros and cons and make a decision, so far, the decision has been to go over and over and over again. I asked you why did they go to Socchi once the big "opportunity" represented by Vancouver had passed, I'm still waiting for an answer. If you don't have one fine but if that's the case, it seems silly to just toss insults at me and to keep repeating "they don't want to go ... everyone knows they don't want to go ... I'm surprised you're not aware they don't want to go ..." ... well Jack, why do they keep going then?

What does hating this tournament have to do with the ticket sales? No reasonable person expects the tournament to not sell many tickets. It's a hockey tournament in Canada. The buzz is low for this tournament, but there are many reasons for that beyond even the tournament itself.

I guess you missed all the posts on this subject saying there is no interest in this tournament in Canada. It's too bad, perhaps you would have been amused, I know I was. :)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I said your narrative because you're the one who brought it up now. [MOD]

It was brought up because it is common knowledge. You implied that the NHL wanted to leave the Olmypics because of the IOC refusal, which is obviously a significant factor, but that doesn't explain why the NHL wanted to stop participation in the Olympics long before the IOC issue emerged. This isn't my narrative, as it was reported for years in widely available media.

You're hugely overstating his didn't want to go stuff, nobody is forcing them to go or not to go - like any other business, they weigh the pros and cons and make a decision, so far, the decision has been to go over and over and over again. I asked you why did they go to Socchi once the big "opportunity" represented by Vancouver had passed, I'm still waiting for an answer. If you don't have one fine but if that's the case, it seems silly to just toss insults at me and to keep repeating "they don't want to go ... everyone knows they don't want to go ... I'm surprised you're not aware they don't want to go ..." ... well Jack, why do they keep going then?

I am going to assume that you didn't bother reading anything and somehow missed it, based on your responses. The NHL and NHLPA negotiated on this matter, with the NHL wanting to opt out and the players wanting to continue participation. If the NHL wanted to go, there wouldn't have been a disagreement between the two sides. That the NHL ended up begrudgingly going is not an indication that the league wanted to continue going, since businesses often do things that they don't want to do in an ideal world. I still don't believe that you didn't know this in the first place though.

I guess you missed all the posts on this subject saying there is no interest in this tournament in Canada. It's too bad, perhaps you would have been amused, I know I was.

There is one post in the thread that says this. Once again though, I'm sure exaggerating what other people have said makes the untenable position of defending this tournament easier. I do agree that there is more than 0 interest in this tournament though.

My opinion about the NHL and the World Cup is positive because I simply LIKE the tournament. Seems that I need to clarify this - I don't like the tournament because of them, but because of me. So when someone argues the NHL is stupid for making this happen, I respond that, no, they're not to me, because I actually like the tournament so therefore I don't find them stupid for that.

The stupid action isn't making the tournament itself, as the tournament has been great in the past. The stupidity is the gimmicks. Do you like the gimmicks?

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Not many tickets left for the USA vs Canada pretourny game at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. Ohio isn't a big hockey market so I would say that's pretty good.

I got 5 tickets for me and a few friends.

Not sure why people are hating on this so much. U23 team is going to be really exciting to watch. I'll take a couple odd teams over no world cup any day. The best players in the world will be playing each other, what is not to like?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It was brought up because it is common knowledge. You implied that the NHL wanted to leave the Olmypics because of the IOC refusal, which is obviously a significant factor, but that doesn't explain why the NHL wanted to stop participation in the Olympics long before the IOC issue emerged. This isn't my narrative, as it was reported for years in widely available media.

I never said there was one single reason for the NHL wanting to leave the Olympics. Not only that, I never said they want to leave at all, it's a lot more complicated than that. The IOC's refusal just may be the final straw though that puts an end to NHLers in the Olympics, do you think that's not a possibility? I think it's a very real possibility and you (and many others) don't seem to want to acknowledge this. There are many issues with Olympic participation and in my opinion, these issues are perfectly understandable and legitimate. Do you agree or do you think the NHL's concerns are completely unwarranted?

Anyhow, that's two simple questions for you Jack, I look forward to your answers.

I am going to assume that you didn't bother reading anything and somehow missed it, based on your responses. The NHL and NHLPA negotiated on this matter, with the NHL wanting to opt out and the players wanting to continue participation. If the NHL wanted to go, there wouldn't have been a disagreement between the two sides. That the NHL ended up begrudgingly going is not an indication that the league wanted to continue going, since businesses often do things that they don't want to do in an ideal world. I still don't believe that you didn't know this in the first place though.

What you either don't understand or are ignoring is that the NHL is made up of both owners and players, both have a say in what goes on. To say the NHL doesn't want to go completely ignores the player part of the equation.

There is one post in the thread that says this. Once again though, I'm sure exaggerating what other people have said makes the untenable position of defending this tournament easier. I do agree that there is more than 0 interest in this tournament though.

This has been discussed in other threads and there have been many comments on what a bust this tournament will be (see this thread title for example). Maybe you haven't seen these other threads, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt without insulting you though, fair enough?

Not many tickets left for the USA vs Canada pretourny game at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. Ohio isn't a big hockey market so I would say that's pretty good.

I got 5 tickets for me and a few friends.

Not sure why people are hating on this so much. U23 team is going to be really exciting to watch. I'll take a couple odd teams over no world cup any day. The best players in the world will be playing each other, what is not to like?

:clap: This seems like such an obvious viewpoint, I am still bewildered by all the haters.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I never said there was one single reason for the NHL wanting to leave the Olympics. Not only that, I never said they want to leave at all, it's a lot more complicated than that. The IOC's refusal just may be the final straw though that puts an end to NHLers in the Olympics, do you think that's not a possibility?

I already said that it is a significant factor. It could be the factor that pushes the NHL further over the edge. The only reason I brought it up is your original sentence: "If the NHL wants out of the Olympics, it's probably because the IOC won't cover expenses." Which to me implies that this is the primary reason. It seems like one reason, significant as I already said, but the NHL has wanted out before this issue even existed.

I think it's a very real possibility and you (and many others) don't seem to want to acknowledge this.

No one mentions it because it isn't relevant to criticism of this tournament. This tournament is a factor in the NHL deciding if it will continue with NHL participation - this is taken from Bill Daly's mouth. That there happens to be another factor (IOC funding) doesn't change that simple fact. I's an easy concept to understand. No one is saying that this tournament is the only factor in NHL removal from the Olympics. One negative aspect of this tournament is that its success works against NHL participation in the Olympics.

There are many issues with Olympic participation and in my opinion, these issues are perfectly understandable and legitimate. Do you agree or do you think the NHL's concerns are completely unwarranted?

The NHL's issues are valid, sure. Once again, that is irrelevant. I am not an NHL stakeholder, I am a fan like most here. There is no reason for me to care about whether the NHL profits or not from one international tournament or another unless it significantly affects the fortune of the league. The strange thing about this topic is that the problem with this tournament doesn't relate to NHL profits at all.

What you either don't understand or are ignoring is that the NHL is made up of both owners and players, both have a say in what goes on. To say the NHL doesn't want to go completely ignores the player part of the equation

The league and the players are different things. In general discussion the league refers to the teams/owners. It's widely known that the players mostly wanted to go, and the owners mostly didn't. There is a reason that the stories relating to this, once again widely available in print or on TV, generally referred to this as an issue between the league (the NHL) and the players. If you need it broken down further for some reason, then consider it "the owners" instead of the more common "NHL".

The things not to like have been discussed many times over. The tournament has unneeded gimmick teams, prevents two teams from selecting certain players from their own country, and has a team that will likely result in players playing against their own country in a supposedly international tournament.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In red:

I already said that it is a significant factor. It could be the factor that pushes the NHL further over the edge. The only reason I brought it up is your original sentence: "If the NHL wants out of the Olympics, it's probably because the IOC won't cover expenses." Which to me implies that this is the primary reason. It seems like one reason, significant as I already said, but the NHL has wanted out before this issue even existed.

OK so we agree, cool. :)

No one mentions it because it isn't relevant to criticism of this tournament. This tournament is a factor in the NHL deciding if it will continue with NHL participation - this is taken from Bill Daly's mouth. That there happens to be another factor (IOC funding) doesn't change that simple fact. I's an easy concept to understand. No one is saying that this tournament is the only factor in NHL removal from the Olympics. One negative aspect of this tournament is that its success works against NHL participation in the Olympics.

But it is relevant to Olympic participation which is being discussed - you even discuss it later in the same paragraph - see bolded parts. :dunno:

The NHL's issues are valid, sure. Once again, that is irrelevant. I am not an NHL stakeholder, I am a fan like most here. There is no reason for me to care about whether the NHL profits or not from one international tournament or another unless it significantly affects the fortune of the league. The strange thing about this topic is that the problem with this tournament doesn't relate to NHL profits at all.

So you don't care about the NHL's issues, you only care about your own concerns and if the NHL does something you don't like, you'll complain even if the NHL is completely justified in their actions. Got it. And BTW, profits aren't the only issue, you should know this as you claim to have been following these issues closely and are supposedly well informed.

The league and the players are different things. In general discussion the league refers to the teams/owners. It's widely known that the players mostly wanted to go, and the owners mostly didn't. There is a reason that the stories relating to this, once again widely available in print or on TV, generally referred to this as an issue between the league (the NHL) and the players. If you need it broken down further for some reason, then consider it "the owners" instead of the more common "NHL".

Yes they are different things, thank you for stating the obvious. They are also both parts of the same entity and share a common interest.

The things not to like have been discussed many times over. The tournament has unneeded gimmick teams, prevents two teams from selecting certain players from their own country, and has a team that will likely result in players playing against their own country in a supposedly international tournament.

For some people, there are also things to like though - the fact that there is a World Cup at all for example. It may not be a positive for you but it is for others. It seems like some people only want to harp on the negative as if that's all there is. Kind of sad IMO.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Easy fix let canada and states pick first and get rid of the age limit for team north America. You think players that were left of their home countries teams wouldn't work their ***** off proving them wrong.

Solves two of your problems. It's international enough for me. Add more teams if you want and change team Europe to the best of everyone that wasn't picked on the euro teams as well.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Teams also sell primary tickets through reseller sites like StubHub.

The NHL does not sell primary tickets on StubHub. Try Ticketmaster.
The NHL says its 90% sold. This is hardly a bust.

KarIgo87

Rider on the Storm
May 22, 2015
Moscow
But where I'm losing it is when I hear that finnish or russian fans wouldn't take the tournament's overall win highly because of this or that. Yeah sure, but you sure do the wins at the world championships where there is like 2% of the best players in the world. But because Canada doesn't have McDavid, and the US Eichel and Gaudreau, and we have to face Team NorthAmerica, even if our (fully motivated) finnish best team wins against the best possible Russian and Swedish team and beats US in the semis and Canada in the finals, but it WON'T COUNT, do you listen, it WON'T COUNT because they missed two players and they missed one, but our gold from the tournament that has like 10 players out of the 200 best of the NHL is counting for everything, you know. :nod:

I'm loving this. That's incredible amount of irony there probably few see it.
Who are those? Because I was really surprised by the amount of whining about WCH when I was reading this and other WCH-bashing threads. On russian forums most of the hockey fans are really excited about this event and looking forward to it. They take it seriously and really want to win. And no one cares that some teams are 'gimmicks' because nobody wants to see easy wins over the weak teams, with NA and Europe mashed teams this tournament is much stronger.
I think you people are just too spoiled by high-end live hockey, if this World Cup was held in Russia it would've been a huuuge deal here.

P.S. Also, Russian roster won't be the best either. No Radulov and Kovalchuk. No Voynov (he didn't deserve a spot though, he was nothing special last season). Instead we have Kulemin, Nesterov, Telegin, Namestnikov (he could be useful though). So I wouldn't be surprised if we lose to Youngstars and fail to qualify to the semis.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Who are those? Because I was really surprised by the amount of whining about WCH when I was reading this and other WCH-bashing threads. On russian most of the fans are really excited about this event and looking forward to it. They take it seriously and really want to win. And no one cares that some teams are 'gimmicks' because nobody wants to see easy wins over the weak teams, with NA and Europe mashed teams this tournament is much stronger.
I think you people are just too spoiled by high-end live , if this World Cup was held in Russia it would've been a huuuge deal here.

P.S. Also, Russian roster won't be the best either. No Radulov and Kovalchuk. No Voynov (he didn't deserve a spot though, he was nothing special last season). Instead we have Kulemin, Nesterov, Telegin, Namestnikov (he could be useful though). So I wouldn't be surprised if we lose to Youngstars and fail to qualify to the semis.

I definitely have three in mind - Yakushev79, Atlas200, and Zine (or something like that, don't remember the nicknames exactly) who don't really take this tournament seriously at all, perhaps some more posters. Of course, that was just me talking about this forum, and I realize it sounds lke generalization a bit, sorry about that.

Because I was really surprised by the amount of whining about WCH when I was reading this and other WCH-bashing threads. On russian most of the fans are really excited about this event and looking forward to it. They take it seriously and really want to win. And no one cares that some teams are 'gimmicks' because nobody wants to see easy wins over the weak teams, with NA and Europe mashed teams this tournament is much stronger.
I think you people are just too spoiled by high-end live , if this World Cup was held in Russia it would've been a huuuge deal here.

That is great to hear :) I always knew that the incredibly ridiculous claims as "no one cares in Europe" were just that - ridiculous nonsense. I have always believed there's many fans who certainly like and will watch the tournament and I'm glad that your post is indicating something completely opposite than what some posters have been pushing here.

As to your team, I can't wait to see Ovechkin and Malkin and others on NHL ice :nod: maybe it could be a positive for them, since they play 82-100 games there every year and are probably more used to it. Can't wait to see that offence, even though I will be a fan of Team North America ;)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Who are those? Because I was really surprised by the amount of whining about WCH when I was reading this and other WCH-bashing threads. On russian forums most of the hockey fans are really excited about this event and looking forward to it. They take it seriously and really want to win. And no one cares that some teams are 'gimmicks' because nobody wants to see easy wins over the weak teams, with NA and Europe mashed teams this tournament is much stronger.
I think you people are just too spoiled by high-end live hockey, if this World Cup was held in Russia it would've been a huuuge deal here.

Finally. Canadas most worthy enemy, Russia has come alive. Come on Russian Bear, Suomi is about to pass you as Canadas hockey equal :). A hockey tournament featuring the best players in the world and on Canadian soil? It has to be Canada v Russia. Let's battle.

In all seriousness, I think Russia finishes #1 in their group. Ovechkin will prove in group play why he deserves to force the historical record to reflect our current NHL era as the Crosby/Ovechkin era. I anticipate Russia going 3-0 in group play and facing Canada for the Cup.

I've got Russia over the NA Young Guns. Russian fans will come away saying McDavid is the best player in the world, but I don't think he has enough to lead us (NA) to victory over Russia. Sweden is better on paper, but I think Ovechkin and the boys will beat them and the Finns.

Russia cannot let the Finns overtake them as our equal right now. I'm deep down cheering for Russia in group play. I want to battle Russia for Gold/The Cup. No other nation I want to battle for hockey supremacy. I'm glad to see the Russian people are excited about this tournament. Your people treated the Canadian boys well in St. Petersburg (apparently Hall, Marchand, and the boys had a very good time enjoying the night life in your gorgeous city).

Bring your best Russia. You are our enemy, but also the hockey nation we respect the most. Your people treated Canada kindly during the 2016 WHC and Putin was graceful to our nation. Respect.

Let's celebrate hockey together and settle our differences on the ice. Good luck Russia. See you for the Cup :). No matter who wins, we show respect to each other as equals.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That is great to hear :) I always knew that the incredibly ridiculous claims as "no one cares in Europe" were just that - ridiculous nonsense. I have always believed there's many fans who certainly like and will watch the tournament and I'm glad that your post is indicating something completely opposite than what some posters have been pushing here.
One guy says it's no big deal - you refuse to believe it.

Another guy, who's still just *one* guy, says it is a big deal - you immediately believe it.

Nice confirmation bias there. :laugh:

Ogopogo*

I won't be paying any attention. International hockey has lost its lustre - the boring 2014 Olympic tournament was case in point. Add to that a couple of gimmick teams and you have ruined this completely.

The only thing I care about is the Oilers who are playing don't get injured and they are able to prepare themselves for the NHL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad