WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
So when the arena in Montreal is full, what's their motivation? To make sure Bettman doesn't move the Canadiens?
What Montreal has to do with it? I've just explained the motives of the people of Quebec why they attended this game, I do not see why you take it so bad. I think you're taking this tournament too much to heart!

Now for Montreal, there are still tickets available for the 11. You won't see that for a Canadiens game.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
So far it's been great hockey. The North American team is fyling out there. Team Europe has time to improve and I expect them to be better the next game. And it's not like they were bad. I think that the NA team was just that good. I believe that when Europe plays Sweden in the final pre-tournament game, it will be close, and they have a chance to win that game.

Macman

May 15, 2004
The effort of Team Europe last night was laughable. No passion or intensity whatsoever. All it did was confirm to me that this tournament is a pre-season practice run. Nothing at stake.

Would love to try out your crystal ball that magically let's you see how intense the actual games are though..

That "crystal ball" is called precedent. The intensity of the previous Canada Cup/World Cups should tell you that. I agree that passion could be an issue for a team like Europe. It was a stupid idea to begin with, but you're fooling yourself if you think Canada vs. Russia or the U.S., or Finland vs. Sweden won't be passionate.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You're the one who is pushing the "eye test for intensity", here.

Dude just scored an OT winning goal against a regional rival and he looked like he was just given a homework assignment.

Players and fans would have been more happier had this happened during an Euro Hockey Tour game. :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
My point is the stands have been full so far for even pre-tournament games. That bodes well for the actual tournament. Many here have been predicting, or more likely just hoping for, empty seats and no interest.

Not in Helsinki, about two thousand short of a sell out.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I disagree that Team Europe didn't play with passion. Watch the game again then. They just weren't good enough for team NA. They obviously need to be better, but they played with a lot of speed, intensity, and passion.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My point is the stands have been full so far for even pre-tournament games. That bodes well for the actual tournament. Many here have been predicting, or more likely just hoping for, empty seats and no interest.

I don't think that you will find many people in this thread who predicted that the tournament won't sell a good amount of tickets or that it isn't going to be lucrative for the NHL. Hope? Absolutely. It will be mildly interesting to see the TV viewership (from actual games, not exhibitions) but people on both sides will inevitably declare those numbers proof of their point.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
On top of that, it's billed as a replacement for such a beloved WORLD WIDE competition like the Olympics.

And every "fan" who cheers wildly for the "Young Gunz," praising their speed and excitement, is helping to ensure that the NHL Olympics will be no more.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
And every "fan" who cheers wildly for the "Young Gunz," praising their speed and excitement, is helping to ensure that the NHL Olympics will be no more.

And I'm sure that the people who want only good hockey and couldn't care less about a valid format would be fine with the NHL introducing gimmick teams to the Stanley Cup playoffs as well. My favourite team lost the Cup to a team composed of players who missed the playoffs? Fantastic, everyone was fast! My favourite team lost the Cup to a gimmick team with players taken from my own team? Great hockey though!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
And I'm sure that the people who want only good hockey and couldn't care less about a valid format would be fine with the NHL introducing gimmick teams to the Stanley Cup playoffs as well. My favourite team lost the Cup to a team composed of players who missed the playoffs? Fantastic, everyone was fast! My favourite team lost the Cup to a gimmick team with players taken from my own team? Great hockey though!

I hate to say this, but I feel like the only thing that might get the NHL to scrap this stupid gimmick is if one of the top stars on the NA-U23 game suffers a long-term injury right before the NHL season while playing in this. Now, I'm certainly not hoping for that to happen, but in a league that seems to make decisions reactively rather than proactively, that might be the only way...

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

I get the sense that the reactions to the NA team are basically what separate international hockey fans from casual/NHL fans.

Casual fans have no regard for the integrity of international competition and would be fine with a team of mascots taking to the ice so long as they were "fast," "new" and "exciting." Of course they would never apply the same standards to their favorite league or club team but then that's something they care about.

International fans, meanwhile, feel they are witnessing the end of legitimate best-on-best competition.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I hate to say this, but I feel like the only thing that might get the NHL to scrap this stupid gimmick is if one of the top stars on the NA-U23 game suffers a long-term injury right before the NHL season while playing in this. Now, I'm certainly not hoping for that to happen...

I am, if that's what it takes.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hate to say this, but I feel like the only thing that might get the NHL to scrap this stupid gimmick is if one of the top stars on the NA-U23 game suffers a long-term injury right before the NHL season while playing in this. Now, I'm certainly not hoping for that to happen, but in a league that seems to make decisions reactively rather than proactively, that might be the only way...

Perhaps. While I want the gimmicks to go away, I'm not going to wish physical harm on the players. Best hope is for Canada to lose early while McDavid plays well (cuing even more Canadians to realize the stupidity of the gimmick) and the gimmick teams to also go out early (removing the NHL's competition justification). Czech Republic - Finland final would probably be the best result since it's the least attractive outcome to the vast majority of viewers.

I get the sense that the reactions to the NA team are basically what separate international hockey fans from casual/NHL fans.

Casual fans have no regard for the integrity of international competition and would be fine with a team of mascots taking to the ice so long as they were "fast," "new" and "exciting." Of course they would never apply the same standards to their favorite league or club team but then that's something they care about.

International fans, meanwhile, feel they are witnessing the end of legitimate best-on-best competition.

I agree. They want an all star exhibition, not an international tournament. They are within their rights to want that, but the tournament cannot be passed off for what it isn't.

I am, if that's what it takes.

The gimmicks suck but it's crazy to wish harm to people just to make a point.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Caught the first two periods last night, and am convinced that Gaudreau would be a top-6 player for Team USA and McDavid a probable top forward for Team Canada. The kid is an extraordinary talent and would undoubtedly work his way up the lineup throughout the tournament. Eichel looked a little rusty last night but if the US management team had already specifically requested his availability, you can rest assured he'd be on the big boy team. Of course Saad would be a possibility on a checking line, and Jones a depth defenceman. MacKinnon a possible depth player for Canada, though unlikely given the conservatism of Hockey Canada.

After seeing these kids play last night, there's simply no way you can convince me that this is a true international best-on-best competition. And unless the format changes in four years' time, I'll be laughing my head off when Team Canada's best player and Team USA's two or three best players are playing against their respective "national" teams.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
So many rational arguments in here. It's hockey played by the best in the world. The survival of the human race is not on the line.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Perhaps. While I want the gimmicks to go away, I'm not going to wish physical harm on the players. Best hope is for Canada to lose early while McDavid plays well (cuing even more Canadians to realize the stupidity of the gimmick) and the gimmick teams to also go out early (removing the NHL's competition justification). Czech Republic - Finland final would probably be the best result since it's the least attractive outcome to the vast majority of viewers.

Yeah one would hope that's enough. Of course, it just goes to show the absurdity of having an tournament where the organizing body has preferred outcomes.

Say all one wants about FIFA (and there's plenty negative to say), but it's not like they set up the World Cup rooting for specific teams to make it through and a specific final like the NHL does here.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
After seeing these kids play last night, there's simply no way you can convince me that this is a true international best-on-best competition. And unless the format changes in four years' time, I'll be laughing my head off when Team Canada's best player and Team USA's two or three best players are playing against their respective "national" teams.

That's exactly what we're probably going to see if the NA team plays well in the first round.

It's a question of which group of players will get to feel the most awkward in the SF.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
:dunno:

I was told the players don't care about this and they wouldn't play hard. I watched all 3 games, my observations contradict that narrative. For two teams who rarely play physical SWE v FIN had some good physicality. The RUS v CZE game was an excellent hockey game. And of course the Young Guns came out flying and looked more skilled, faster, and they played hard like they wanted to win.

Hockey fans were in for a treat last night. We'll see how the "awkward" narrative holds up (or doesn't).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Caught the first two periods last night, and am convinced that Gaudreau would be a top-6 player for Team USA and McDavid a probable top forward for Team Canada. The kid is an extraordinary talent and would undoubtedly work his way up the lineup throughout the tournament. Eichel looked a little rusty last night but if the US management team had already specifically requested his availability, you can rest assured he'd be on the big boy team. Of course Saad would be a possibility on a checking line, and Jones a depth defenceman. MacKinnon a possible depth player for Canada, though unlikely given the conservatism of Hockey Canada.

Whether it is best on best isn't really up for debate. Some countries have some of their best playing on another team. Some teams are combinations of countries. What happens on the ice, the worst hockey ever player or the best hockey ever played or somewhere in between, doesn't change that. It may be an entertaining all star exhibition though, who knows.

Nothing serious, just a couple months out of action to piss off the owners and save international hockey.

You somewhat invalidate your valid points by saying something so off base. It's like when defenders of this tournament try to deny the NHL's public comments or try to change meanings to suit what they want. Wishing injury is far too far to go and cheapens other points.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Whether it is best on best isn't really up for debate. Some countries have some of their best playing on another team. Some teams are combinations of countries. What happens on the ice, the worst hockey ever player or the best hockey ever played or somewhere in between, doesn't change that. It may be an entertaining all star exhibition though, who knows.

Oh, I know. But many defenders of the tournament having been claiming that since its only a two or three players on Team USA, one, maybe two on Team Canada that are missing, it's "close enough" to best-on-best because Canada and the U.S. have sufficient depth to absorb these "losses". Which is obviously besides the point. McDavid has a chance to be the best player at this tournament. What does that tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad