WCH - Impressions of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This horse has been beaten to death for at least 100 times on this board, but I will answer you regardless: because nobody (including the NHL) has the right to redefine international hockey, and Team NA U23 or whatever you want to call it does not represent a country. Only national teams should be allowed in international tournaments. The firmat was not broken and therefore no changes were needed.

Crosby and Ovechkin may never play on the same team either, so does that mean that there should no longer be a Team Canada and a Team Russia but a joint Canada/Russia team instead? Or how about creating Team European Right-Handed U25. I'm sure that would features some great players too. Isn't it a shame that most of them will never play together either?

This is not about how exciting the players may be, this is about principles. The NHL no longer wants to attend the Olympics, but instead of organizing a tournament that could have had prestige and could have been a proper Olympic replacement, they decided to arrange a tournament only meant to appeal to North American fans and disregard the fact that Europeans in general are quite nationalistic when it comes to sports (not just the fans, but the players as well) and therefore will not be too happy to have non-national teams in a seemingly international tournament.

But I want to see Team Tall vs Team Small. A team of 5'10 players and under vs a team of 6'5 players and over. It's like the original UFC with a Sumo wrestler vs a karate fighter.

Edit: Lets just make Team Tall the minimum height of Anze Kopitar as he clearly must be included in this prestigious tournament.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I don't want to stop the olympics because of this, but I'm absolutely dumbfounded that people are complaining about this NA team. People don't want to see McDavid, Eichel, and Matthews all on a team together? Let alone the other insane and exciting players in that lineup? What exactly is the issue with that?

The All-Star game exists.

When's the last time you complained about people not caring about that? It is, after all, literally best-on-best.

When there's no stakes, no one cares.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The timing of the tournament is what is affecting it.

These games are preseason games, players aren't in form yet and it's just stupid timing.

Had they played the games at the same time as the Winter Olympics, it would have been better
Olympics doesn't have exhibition games does it ? The 3 games and actually getting to practice and play as a team will be a benefit compared to the Olympics tbh. Sure not in mid season form e but at least they have played together before games matter

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
you know, still, it's just funny that some people thought the games, the actual games in Toronto, would be half-empty, or badly attended, or that it wouldnt really get the attention in Toronto etc., and now, in reality, you have the pre-tournament game in Quebec, between the two supposed "gimmicks",
"the reason why no one will care", and the game, the 18,500 seat arena, is sold out. Just funny. :laugh:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
this was more like an all-star game. not that I expect every game to be this bad, but wow.

"Every game to be this bad?" Are you serious? You probably watched something other than me. Look into the game thread where was like 1000 people at one point, and see the posts as how they loved the game. Absolute stupid nonsense to continue with this "all-star" bs, lol, that's just awkward now.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Pretty funny. Unfortunate for the players, but funny in principle.

This horse has been beaten to death for at least 100 times on this board, but I will answer you regardless: because nobody (including the NHL) has the right to redefine international hockey, and Team NA U23 or whatever you want to call it does not represent a country. Only national teams should be allowed in international tournaments. The firmat was not broken and therefore no changes were needed.

Crosby and Ovechkin may never play on the same team either, so does that mean that there should no longer be a Team Canada and a Team Russia but a joint Canada/Russia team instead? Or how about creating Team European Right-Handed U25. I'm sure that would features some great players too. Isn't it a shame that most of them will never play together either?

This is not about how exciting the players may be, this is about principles. The NHL no longer wants to attend the Olympics, but instead of organizing a tournament that could have had prestige and could have been a proper Olympic replacement, they decided to arrange a tournament only meant to appeal to North American fans and disregard the fact that Europeans in general are quite nationalistic when it comes to sports (not just the fans, but the players as well) and therefore will not be too happy to have non-national teams in a seemingly international tournament.

Indeed. The gimmick teams also prevent USA and Canada from icing their best rosters.

But I want to see Team Tall vs Team Small. A team of 5'10 players and under vs a team of 6'5 players and over. It's like the original UFC with a Sumo wrestler vs a karate fighter.

Edit: Lets just make Team Tall the minimum height of Anze Kopitar as he clearly must be included in this prestigious tournament.

Yeah, those short guys have everything to prove!

The All-Star game exists.

When's the last time you complained about people not caring about that? It is, after all, literally best-on-best.

When there's no stakes, no one cares.

I've come to the conclusion that supporters of this gimmick tournament simply want an all star exhibition, not an international tournament or a best on best. It's their right to do so, but there is no need to pretend this tournament is anything else.

you know, still, it's just funny that some people thought the games, the actual games in Toronto, would be half-empty, or badly attended, or that it wouldnt really get the attention in Toronto etc., and now, in reality, you have the pre-tournament game in Quebec, between the two supposed "gimmicks",
"the reason why no one will care", and the game, the 18,500 seat arena, is sold out. Just funny. :laugh:

The attention in Toronto is quite low at the moment, it may change. Regardless of the lackluster promotion thus far (which I blame on Sportsnet more than the tournament itself) the tournament is a joke. If this tournament somehow became the most popular tournament in history with more viewers than every other hockey tournament combined, it still would remain nothing more than an all star exhibition. Not a best on best by any stretch.

I also suggest you look up what the word gimmick means. Might be useful, since you have no idea what best on best means.

Gimmick - a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Gimmick - a method or trick that is used to get people's attention or to sell something

Those definitions, the most common definitions of gimmick that can be found, exactly describe what these teams are. They were designed for attention and business.

You can like the gimmicks or this tournament all you want, but you cannot rewrite definitions to justify your wants. Just like this tournament is not best on best, despite what you want, the teams are gimmicks.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
You can't ****ing say it's an all-star game, when the effort and pace is completely on the level of the olympics. Don't mix those words when you have no clue what they mean apparently. NHL All-Star game - players don't care, don't hit, don't do nothing - this tournament - players care, play at high tempo, want to win, hit, fight, everything like in the playoffs. Someone has to be stupid really to call this an all.star event.

best-on-best or not, it's not a joke just because someone wants it to be. Yeah, but thanks for forcing your views upon everyone else and then blaming someone that he "wants others to believe the tournament is best-on-best". The point of everything is to make people take it seriously, whether it's best-on-best or not. Treating the tournament as a joke is just referring to the posters that they are a joke.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
You can't ****ing say it's an all-star game, when the effort and pace is completely on the level of the olympics. Don't mix those words when you have no clue what they mean apparently. NHL All-Star game - players don't care, don't hit, don't do nothing - this tournament - players care, play at high tempo, want to win, hit, fight, everything like in the playoffs. Someone has to be stupid really to call this an all.star event.

best-on-best or not, it's not a joke just because someone wants it to be.

Ah yes, I too have anecdotal evidence about this tournament that hasn't even actually commenced yet. :help:

Nevermind all the players that pulled out with "injuries".

Macman

May 15, 2004
It's pretty clear that with the large crowds in Quebec, Helsinki and St. Petersburg for exhibition games that this is not going to be a bust financially.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
People in Quebec didnt care about that game. They want the Nordiques back. That's their motivation. The arena was full because they wanted to show to the NHL that they deserve a team.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
It's pretty clear that with the large crowds in Quebec, Helsinki and St. Petersburg for exhibition games that this is not going to be a bust financially.

Probably not.

But I do believe that an NHL WCH win on a player's resume will slot in very nicely next to a Mark Messier Leadership Award.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

best-on-best or not, it's not a joke just because someone wants it to be. Yeah, but thanks for forcing your views upon everyone else and then blaming someone that he "wants others to believe the tournament is best-on-best". The point of everything is to make people take it seriously, whether it's best-on-best or not. Treating the tournament as a joke is just referring to the posters that they are a joke.

Agreed. Yesterdays games definitely had an intensity to them that you never see in all-star games. Considering these were only warm up games it's safe to say that were in for some good action.

Ah yes, I too have anecdotal evidence about this tournament that hasn't even actually commenced yet. :help:

Anecdotal evidence? :laugh::laugh: So you think that the warmup games being intense means that when the real games start, the players won't be playing hard? :amazed:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Pretty funny. Unfortunate for the players, but funny in principle.

Indeed. The gimmick teams also prevent USA and Canada from icing their best rosters.

Yeah, those short guys have everything to prove!

I've come to the conclusion that supporters of this gimmick tournament simply want an all star exhibition, not an international tournament or a best on best. It's their right to do so, but there is no need to pretend this tournament is anything else.

The attention in Toronto is quite low at the moment, it may change. Regardless of the lackluster promotion thus far (which I blame on Sportsnet more than the tournament itself) the tournament is a joke. If this tournament somehow became the most popular tournament in history with more viewers than every other hockey tournament combined, it still would remain nothing more than an all star exhibition. Not a best on best by any stretch.

I also suggest you look up what the word gimmick means. Might be useful, since you have no idea what best on best means.

Gimmick - a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Gimmick - a method or trick that is used to get people's attention or to sell something

Those definitions, the most common definitions of gimmick that can be found, exactly describe what these teams are. They were designed for attention and business.

You can like the gimmicks or this tournament all you want, but you cannot rewrite definitions to justify your wants. Just like this tournament is not best on best, despite what you want, the teams are gimmicks.

My same feeling on this tournament. I spent a lot of words in the old World Cup thread, it's good to see others feel the same. :handclap:

Dude, the tournament hasn't started yet. What you are describing is your pure fantasy.

A tournament played right at pre season time, no prestige because it has very little tradition (couldn't be any different when it is played 12 years after the last!!!), gimmick teams, no worldwide interest (for sure here there hasn't been any mention of it whatsoever), I bet even in the USA there's zero interest, players calling themselves out due to "injury". It doesn't bode well...

This is just a meaningless friendly tournament, that's all. It's like a Spengler Cup for nations + pseudo-regional (team Europe, team North America young) + fantasy (team North America young) teams. On top of that, it's billed as a replacement for such a beloved WORLD WIDE competition like the Olympics.
It all just shows how much the NHL can't understand what international hockey is and what it means to folks. They try to take over something for the sake of $$$ (see money grab) and end up pissing off most hockey fans (probably 99.99% outside North America and a fair number in North America) & coming out with a product that looks like something Disney would have created. Utter fail.

Exactly! :handclap:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
People in Quebec didnt care about that game. They want the Nordiques back. That's their motivation. The arena was full because they wanted to show to the NHL that they deserve a team.

So when the arena in Montreal is full, what's their motivation? To make sure Bettman doesn't move the Canadiens?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
wow. are you serious?

Dude, the tournament hasn't started yet. What you are describing is your pure fantasy.

oh, you are right. They care and play highly intense hockey now, when playing pre-tournament games but they will stop when the tournament starts. How's that I missed such a fantastic logic. My bad. It's indeed only my fantasy that they would continue to do that. It will most likely never happen!

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
You're the one who is pushing the "eye test for intensity", here.

Dude just scored an OT winning goal against a regional rival and he looked like he was just given a homework assignment.
lol, so you are.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

This is an all star event. Your anecdotes about effort, at this tournament or at the NHL all star game, have no bearing on whether or not these are all star teams. You seem confused, once again, about what terms mean. No one said "this is the NHL all star game and the players don't care at all". You are confusing what "all star" means, just like you did with best on best and gimmick, since the term "all star" has literally nothing to do with the word "effort". I understand the frustration at not knowing what terms mean but there is no need to misrepresent those terms when they are explained.

Claiming that it is a best on best is simply a lie, not a matter of preference. Taking the tournament seriously, while laughable, is a personal choice. I also find the whining about posters being labelled a joke (which has not happened as far a I've seen) funny when you quite literally called people stupid in the post that I quoted. Especially funny since you consider them stupid for actually understanding and properly using a term. Luckily we come from a free country and people are free to share opinions, and to your credit you aren't one of the tournament supporters who whines that the people who accurately describe this tournament should be silenced.

You're the one who is pushing the "eye test for intensity", here.

Dude just scored an OT winning goal against a regional rival and he looked like he was just given a homework assignment.

To be fair, exhibitions matches aren't going to be bubbling over for the most part. To use exhibitions to make definitive claims about this tournament either positively or negatively is weak. I agree that something a subjective as a eye test for intensity is a slippery slope.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
How many guys here had to google "gimmick" to see what it meant?

Stop *****ing and complaining and enjoy a ton of high skill level players we might never again get to see play together. :yo:

HFBoards in a nutshell ; hockey fans complaining about more hockey. :facepalm:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
HFBoards in a nutshell ; hockey fans complaining about more hockey. :facepalm:

I'm complaining about a missed opportunity and spitting on the face of countries like Switzerland and Slovakia. It's even bigger travesty if NHL prevents players from entering the Olympics because of this glorified marketing event.

Macman

May 15, 2004
The revenue from those games goes to the national federations, not to the organizers.

My point is the stands have been full so far for even pre-tournament games. That bodes well for the actual tournament. Many here have been predicting, or more likely just hoping for, empty seats and no interest.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

The effort of Team Europe last night was laughable. No passion or intensity whatsoever. All it did was confirm to me that this tournament is a pre-season practice run. Nothing at stake.

Would love to try out your crystal ball that magically let's you see how intense the actual games are though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad