WCF Gm#5: KINGS vs. Hawks - 6/8/13 - And that's all folks! 2013 Season Over

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Hey Kings fans, would anyone mind listing all the injuries that are now coming out for your guys? I saw a few last night but I'm curious to see the rest of them. A lot of guys were clearly playing injured.

Thanks and here's to many more playoff matchups between the Hawks and Kings in the future. I think we'll be seeing quite a few of them.
LA fans were great all series long.

Full list is supposed to be out on Monday. So far:

Justin Williams - separated shoulder (doesn't believe surgery is needed). Suffered in SJ series on Brad Stuart hit.
Dustin Brown- Torn PCL (knee) since first shift of Game 6 vs. San Jose.
Drew Doughty - Sprained/twisted "bad" ankle since STL series.
Mike Richards - Concussion
Jarret Stoll - Separated shoulder and a concussion

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Full list is supposed to be out on Monday. So far:

Justin Williams - separated shoulder (doesn't believe surgery is needed). Suffered in SJ series on Brad Stuart hit.
Dustin Brown- Torn PCL (knee) since first shift of Game 6 vs. San Jose.
Drew Doughty - Sprained/twisted "bad" ankle since STL series.
Mike Richards - Concussion
Jarret Stoll - Separated shoulder and a concussion

Ah, I see. Thanks for the list so far. I'll check back tomorrow.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Kings showed an amazing amount of heart tonight, being down 2-0 early and battling back, overcoming that god awful BS non-call to force OT was a pretty amazing effort.

Kopitar and Richards showed up and made huge plays in the 3rd period. Greene, Scuderi and the rest of the D left it all out on the ice but the Kings just didn't have the roster to compete with Chicago this season, even with Kopi and Richards showing up huge today it wasn't enough.

I felt like there weren't any passengers last season, and this season there were quite a bit. In particular the Kings had no production from support players at all. Yeah Kopitar and Brown were playing hurt, but it would have been nice to get any kind of timely production from anyone else below them.

The Kings 3rd line, which was so good in the playoffs last year and for much of the early part of the season could never find that magic in the playoffs this season, last year they contributed 10 goals, including 4 by King in the WCF round. The Kings lost 3 games by one goal, they really needed something from this line and it never came.

Last year the 4th line was not a liability, Fraser played well, Nolan played well and Richardson played well before giving way to Gagne in the final 3 games. Remember Richie's huge goal in game 5 vs, Vancouver to tie it, or Nolan's goal early in game 4 vs. STL last year to get the crowd going wild, or Fraser scoring the first goal of the finals, those were all HUGE goals! This year the Kings 4th line was a disaster, out played in all three of the series. I really have no idea what kind of plans the Kings have for Kyle Clifford going forward, but this is a player that is regressing, rather than progressing. He really doesn't add much to the hockey team, especially in a series like this one, there was just no role he could play effectively. Nolan went from a huge plus to a negative this season, I still think he can be a solid 4th line player for the Kings, but he wasn't in these playoffs.

Alec Martinez, like Clifford he regressed as a player this season. If Alec is back here next season he needs to dedicate himself this summer and try and re-find his game from years past, he was a disaster this season, especially in the defensive end. He went from being a really solid contributor in the cup run to not being able to even see the ice he was so bad defensively.

Jake Muzzin, had a nice start to the year but fell off in a big way. Was not playing well in the playoffs, but the alternatives were Martinez and Ellerby, who were both overmatched. He has the talent, but the Kings need to decide if he has it between the ears to be a real quality NHL d-man. I don't know, I'm a bit torn on Muzzin.

I think in order to compete with Chicago, the Kings need to add quite a bit of skill and maybe roll 3 lines that can be a threat to score...

Here is something maybe to work with...

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
New Guy - Carter - Toffoli
Pearson - Richards - New Guy
King/Cliff - Stoll - Lewis

I just think they really need to improve the skill in this lineup.

Muzzin was fine after the St. Louis series. Hopefully Nolan and King just had sophomore slumps.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What a season. All I'm gonna say.

And can't wait to see what Sutter does with an actual training camp--you would have to think the further development of players like King/Nolan would happen when we have that sort of luxury!

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Here is the list of teams over the past 25 years to win a Cup an reach at least the Conference Finals (CF) the following year:

Edmonton Oilers (won Cup in 1991, CF loss in 1992, 6 straight playoff series wins)

Pittsburgh Penguins (won Cup in 1991, won Cup in 1992, CSF loss in 1993, 9 straight playoff series wins)

Colorado Avalanche (won Cup in 1996, CF loss in 1997, 6 straight playoff series wins)

Detroit Red Wings (won Cup in 1997, won Cup in 1998, CSF loss in 1999, 9 straight playoff series wins)

Dallas Stars (won Cup in 1999, SCF loss in 2000, 7 straight playoff series wins)

New Jersey Devils (won Cup in 2000, SCF loss in 2001, 7 straight playoff series wins)

Colorado Avalanche (won Cup in 2001, CF loss in 2002, 6 straight playoff series wins)

Detroit Red Wings (won Cup in 2008, SCF loss in 2009, 7 straight playoff wins)

Los Angeles Kings (won Cup in 2012, CF loss in 2013, 6 straight playoff wins)

Essentially, we are one of only 9 teams to accomplish what we accomplished over the past quarter century. Even more impressive is that we're only the second team to accomplish this since the advent of the salary cap (Detroit being the first).

Also consider the company. Early 90s Oilers and Penguins, late 90s Red Wings and Avalanche, early 00s Devils, Stars, and Avalanche - these are the teams people routinely reference in discussion of "the best team to win the Cup over the last 25+ years."

Pretty impressive company. Basically, we won as many consecutive playoff series as the Messier Oilers of the early 90s and the legendary Sakic led Avalanche teams.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's exciting to realize that for once in this organization's history, this team is geared to make repeated runs for the Stanley Cup and they aren't a "one and done" type team like the 1993 Kings who were full of aging players who were deep in their prime or well past it.

Gone are the days of trading an Alexei Zhitnik and Darryl Sydor and watching them enjoy success elsewhere, or developing star players like Rob Blake and then dealing them away because of inept management decisions.

The foundation is in place for this team to remain competitive for a very long time and for them to be considered as favorites to contend for a Stanley Cup every season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad