WCF Gm#5: KINGS vs. Hawks - 6/8/13 - And that's all folks! 2013 Season Over

SouthsideHawkGuy

Apr 10, 2012
Congrats to the Kings for giving the Hawks a hell of a series.

You guys definitely held your own, despite all the injuries. Life was never easy for the Hawks this series, you guys made them earn every goal.

Hopefully we'll keep the Cup warm for you guys next year. I'm sure there will be many more playoff battles between our teams in the next few years.

Congrats on a great season, Kings. Looking forward to seeing you guys down the road.

Good King Jake

Jun 6, 2013
Very proud of this team. They got as far as they did in this year's playoffs almost entirely on guts. Thanks for another great season, Kings! Looking forward to an even greater season in 13/14!

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I have been a Kings fan for over 40 years. I was extremely proud of the Kings team that lost to Boston in the playoffs way back when, but I have never been more proud of a Kings team in defeat than I was tonight. It would have been easy for them to lie down when they were down 0-2 in this game, but they are all heart.

The culture of the LA Kings has changed, and it's a great time to be a Kings' fan.

Very proud of this team and this post above sums up my thoughts....although I've only been a fan for 27 years. :)

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Went down with a fight. Most successful 2 season run by the Kings in franchise history. Sucks to see them go out, but I don't think anyone can complain.

6 series wins in a row!! - pretty damn impressive.

Who in Jan 2012 thought any of this was even possible?? This organization and team has turned the corner - they are a major force in the NHL, hopefully for a long, long time.

In Dean we trust. (ok, Darryl too)

It will be hard to watch the SCF w/o the Kings playing, but it will be less stress that's for sure. Don't really have a favorite, I guess Boston if I had to pick.... no scratch that, **** Boston for the Celtics, Red sox and Patriots, and obnoxious Boston fans. Go Chicago.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
7898_10151663976299239_1096063397_n.jpg

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
First off, this team has brass balls baby and you can't take anything away from them. Left everything on the ice tonight and deserved to win the game. I honestly feel that they would handle the Hawks if our best players were at full strength...feel that Chicago was lucky to play us without Richards for three games as there is now effing way they lose Game 4 if he is in the lineup.

As for Chicago, **** them and their fans. The piece of garbage that sat behind me in Game 4 that deserved to get his face bashed in has soured me on their entire fanbase, even thoug the majority of their HF fanbase is cool. Worst of all though is their drippy 'gina squad...Bolland, Keith and Shaw have dates with an effing fist next season first game in Staples.

Boston has been my SC winner all season...hope they mop the floor with this bunch of pansies with their stupid ******** haircuts and cheap tactics. Give me the team that dresses Shawn Thornton every game over the team that employs a bunch of hit and run *******. Effing disgrace to the conference. Bolland didn't want the puck on his stick after that BS hit in Game 1...probably had the puck on his stick for 2 minutes elapsed time in the 4 games following...cry baby stomach hold after that Penner hit was just the icing on the cake. Hope Richards told him his ass is dead next season.

Speaking of Richards...what a stud. This team with whatever additions and subtractions will be a contender next season, no effing doubt about it. We should of been meaner this series...dirtier. Karma exists and the Hawks will lose to Boston. Go Lucic and Chara.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
LIke everybody else, I so proud of this team and what they showed. I don't think we'll every know how much pain they all played in, all heart, every shift, never say die, not down 2 goals, or 2 games. You can't put a price on that or having it in the locker room. DL has put together one very special group of players and the leaders are exceptional . I like that Justin Williams (speaking of outstanding leaders) wasn't satisified. That when asked about how far the team came, getting to the WCF and that was a great accomplishment, he had a look of disdain and wasn't satisfied, that they didn't accomplish what they set out to do. That he has a bitter taste in his mouth .Good for him!

What a bright future for this team. Stacked from the backend up. Great young D , stud centers giving strength down the middle, solid RW, coach that keeps them hungry, motivated. Hoping for a top 6 LW.
This team is hungry, not satisfied and will come to camp (and having Sutter have them for a full camp) and keep that hunger. They'll fight for it next year.

And thinking back on the 1st series, I don't think another team in the West could have withstood the brutal force and hits that the Blues demonstrated. That hurt them and it showed in the Sharks series and more injuires, but they never gave up.
They battled, they fought, they clawed and snarled. That heart, that resilience that spirit, you can't teach that, it comes from within. This team will be back in the finals next year.

I'm surprised Richards came back tonight. I really have to believe there was some concussion protocols skipped tonight. Mike's a tough son of a ***** and I'm sure he wanted to be on the ice to either prolong the series or end the season.

I believe MIke Richards would chew his own foot off out of an animal trap to play. He's just a beast, and the feral part of him shines brightest in the playoffs.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
LIke everybody else, I so proud of this team and what they showed. I don't think we'll every know how much pain they all played in, all heart, every shift, never say die, not down 2 goals, or 2 games. You can't put a price on that or having it in the locker room. DL has put together one very special group of players and the leaders are exceptional . I like that Justin Williams (speaking of outstanding leaders) wasn't satisified. That when asked about how far the team came, getting to the WCF and that was a great accomplishment, he had a look of disdain and wasn't satisfied, that they didn't accomplish what they set out to do. That he has a bitter taste in his mouth .Good for him!

What a bright future for this team. Stacked from the backend up. Great young D , stud centers giving strength down the middle, solid RW, coach that keeps them hungry, motivated. Hoping for a top 6 LW.
This team is hungry, not satisfied and will come to camp (and having Sutter have them for a full camp) and keep that hunger. They'll fight for it next year.

And thinking back on the 1st series, I don't think another team in the West could have withstood the brutal force and hits that the Blues demonstrated. That hurt them and it showed in the Sharks series and more injuires, but they never gave up.
They battled, they fought, they clawed and snarled. That heart, that resilience that spirit, you can't teach that, it comes from within. This team will be back in the finals next year.

I believe MIke Richards would chew his own foot off out of an animal trap to play. He's just a beast, and the feral part of him shines brightest in the playoffs.

Right before the pregame skate they showed him in the hallway with Carter and you could tell he was just chomping at the bit to get out on the ice. He showed up once again when it counted, unfortunately just couldn't get that goal in the first OT.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Hey -

Don't have to tell you to be proud of your team - I'm sure you already were. I'd picked the Hawks in 7 but did thinking if we didn't win in 7 you'd probably win in 5 or something.

I said when this round got started that if the Kings didn't repeat, then the team that beat them was going to be the one to win the cup...i hope that prediction keeps true!

Last year after the Hawks lost in the first round you were my bandwagon team - and even after this series, I still really like your team a lot and a bunch of your players (quick, doughty, richards, carter, kopitar...and my love/hate with brown)...i'm not just saying that in a smarmy way b/c the Hawks won...i dislike other teams the Hawks have beaten but not you guys.

good series.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Hey -

Don't have to tell you to be proud of your team - I'm sure you already were. I'd picked the Hawks in 7 but did thinking if we didn't win in 7 you'd probably win in 5 or something.

I said when this round got started that if the Kings didn't repeat, then the team that beat them was going to be the one to win the cup...i hope that prediction keeps true!

Last year after the Hawks lost in the first round you were my bandwagon team - and even after this series, I still really like your team a lot and a bunch of your players (quick, doughty, richards, carter, kopitar...and my love/hate with brown)...i'm not just saying that in a smarmy way b/c the Hawks won...i dislike other teams the Hawks have beaten but not you guys.

good series.

I enjoy the comments and have also enjoyed the camaraderie this series. Good luck to your team in the Finals. You guys played an awesome series and in retrospect I really enjoyed it, even if we were on the wrong end. I see us meeting many more times in the coming years.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thank you to the fans of other teams who came in with the kind words.

And thank you to the Kings fans on this board, and the mods, who made this another fun season.

Onto the draft.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
fwiw...so did the Hawks...and Bruins for that matter. So you guys are doing pretty well for yourselves :laugh:

Hey, at least the Hawks and Bruins showed the heart of champion. Hawks came back from a 3-0 series deficit and almost made the Canucks choke. Bruins also lost in OT in Game 7. The Ducks pretty much got tossed around by the Stars. :laugh:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Congrats to the Kings for giving the Hawks a hell of a series.

You guys definitely held your own, despite all the injuries. Life was never easy for the Hawks this series, you guys made them earn every goal.

Hopefully we'll keep the Cup warm for you guys next year. I'm sure there will be many more playoff battles between our teams in the next few years.

Congrats on a great season, Kings. Looking forward to seeing you guys down the road.

thanks! and goodluck !

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
so do we keep Penner/Richardson?

Penner has a lot of heart in the playoffs, and Richardson fills in nicely as a 13th player...

what do you say? do we upgrade or keep?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Kings showed an amazing amount of heart tonight, being down 2-0 early and battling back, overcoming that god awful BS non-call to force OT was a pretty amazing effort.

Kopitar and Richards showed up and made huge plays in the 3rd period. Greene, Scuderi and the rest of the D left it all out on the ice but the Kings just didn't have the roster to compete with Chicago this season, even with Kopi and Richards showing up huge today it wasn't enough.

I felt like there weren't any passengers last season, and this season there were quite a bit. In particular the Kings had no production from support players at all. Yeah Kopitar and Brown were playing hurt, but it would have been nice to get any kind of timely production from anyone else below them.

The Kings 3rd line, which was so good in the playoffs last year and for much of the early part of the season could never find that magic in the playoffs this season, last year they contributed 10 goals, including 4 by King in the WCF round. The Kings lost 3 games by one goal, they really needed something from this line and it never came.

Last year the 4th line was not a liability, Fraser played well, Nolan played well and Richardson played well before giving way to Gagne in the final 3 games. Remember Richie's huge goal in game 5 vs, Vancouver to tie it, or Nolan's goal early in game 4 vs. STL last year to get the crowd going wild, or Fraser scoring the first goal of the finals, those were all HUGE goals! This year the Kings 4th line was a disaster, out played in all three of the series. I really have no idea what kind of plans the Kings have for Kyle Clifford going forward, but this is a player that is regressing, rather than progressing. He really doesn't add much to the hockey team, especially in a series like this one, there was just no role he could play effectively. Nolan went from a huge plus to a negative this season, I still think he can be a solid 4th line player for the Kings, but he wasn't in these playoffs.

Alec Martinez, like Clifford he regressed as a player this season. If Alec is back here next season he needs to dedicate himself this summer and try and re-find his game from years past, he was a disaster this season, especially in the defensive end. He went from being a really solid contributor in the cup run to not being able to even see the ice he was so bad defensively.

Jake Muzzin, had a nice start to the year but fell off in a big way. Was not playing well in the playoffs, but the alternatives were Martinez and Ellerby, who were both overmatched. He has the talent, but the Kings need to decide if he has it between the ears to be a real quality NHL d-man. I don't know, I'm a bit torn on Muzzin.

I think in order to compete with Chicago, the Kings need to add quite a bit of skill and maybe roll 3 lines that can be a threat to score...

Here is something maybe to work with...

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
New Guy - Carter - Toffoli
Pearson - Richards - New Guy
King/Cliff - Stoll - Lewis

I just think they really need to improve the skill in this lineup.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The Kings didn't look too disappointed in the handshake line. Man, those guys are reaaaddddy to relax.
Noticed that too. I think they were glad it was over. Kings wanted to end it quickly in OT but couldnt score. From then on, it got worse. Penner couldnt even skate anymore.

Tough to lose all three OT games in this playoffs.

Its a miracle we even got this far. Brown was terrible all along. Kopitar was not his usual self. Doughty was good but couldnt really get on the scoresheet.

Proud of this performance, WCF. I'm okay with it. I do think we need some fresh blood to keep them hungry. Toffoli of course, Pearson perhaps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad