WCF Gm#1: KINGS vs. Hawks - 6/1/13 - Another 2-1 Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm more of the "opponent" than the "enemy". I want you to lose (in 4 games, if possible!), b/c that's necessary for the Hawks to win. But fwiw after the Hawks' lost in the 1st round last year I grabbed one of your "bandwagon" avatars...and cheered for you the rest of the playoffs. so i'm not entirely evil...just mostly evil :laugh:

Well, if you saw any of the Kings playoffs last year, the difference is that the Kings just cannot score goals. Kopitar looks about 20% of the player he was last year. He injured his knee in Sweden a few weeks before the season and he has worn a knee brace all year. He is much slower than last year and lost power as well. He also has another injury and we may never hear about it, unless he gets surgery. Kopitar used to make an impact every shift and now he may be lucky to make an impact 2 or 3 times a game. Also, Dustin Brown was a beast last yr vs the Canucks and the second series as well. He is about 25% of what he was last year. He was amazing from the day he got his hat trick, the day before the 2012 trade deadline, up until the day Mike Smith whacked him viciously on the back of his knee.
It was brutal and Smith should have been kicked out for 20 games or more....after that game, Dustin's game tapered off fast and he was average against the Devils. Not sure if he is injured, but he's ineffective.
If you look at Richards videos on youtube when he was in Philly, he no longer hits anyone and seems to play a safer and less physical game. He had a concussion last yr and it took until the Vancouver series for him to step up. He is still good, but coasts more than ANY player I have ever seen. Not saying he's not trying, but when I watch old footage of him, he's not the same...Carter is not even very effective lately. King is worthless. He somehow scored 5 goals last playoffs and now cannot make plays or score and he doesn't even hit hard anymore. We miss Willie Mitchell for sure, but nothing you can do about that. Not making excuses, but this is what it is.

Sydor25

LA Kings
I'd like to see more fight from the Kings and see some intensity from this team, but hey, at least they didn't come out looking like the Penguins did today.

Penguins looked a lot better than the kings today. Penguins hit four posts and traded chances with Boston. Rask was much better than vokoun.

Pittsburgh's best players carried the play and had many shots. Kings top players were complete no shows. 3 shots from Kopitar, carter, brown and Richards combined.

Penguins showed more passion too. They just got out worked by Boston and destroyed on faceoffs.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Penguins looked a lot better than the kings today. Penguins hit four posts and traded chances with Boston. Rask was much better than vokoun.

Pittsburgh's best played carried the play and had many shots. Kings top players were complete no shows. 4 shots from Kopitar, carter, brown and Richards combined.

Penguins showed more passion too. They just got out worked by Boston and destroyed on faceoffs.

"Rask was much better than vokoun"

This gives me hope..not for the Bruins, but for the Kings to trade Bernier to the Penguins and get us some help here.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'd like to see more fight from the Kings and see some intensity from this team, but hey, at least they didn't come out looking like the Penguins did today.

Totally! Chara staring down Crosby was like what my dad would do when I got out of line as a kid. Chara had to bend down a foot to get in his grill.:laugh:

KingKopitar11*

Holy cow some of you act like you've never watched a playoff series before. It's one game, this team will adjust.

Every single team left in the playoffs has looked like garbage at times. Have a little patience and have a little faith.

LOL. We've looked like Garbage almost every playoff game this year.

I dont know what you're talking about. We've been **** on the road every game so far. If we wait to long to see what they will do, they will be eliminated. Wake up broseph.

KingKopitar11*

I will know by the line up tomorrow where this series will be headed.

jonrazor12

Palffy for President
Oct 20, 2009
I don't see the justification for all of the complaining.

Kings played like crap and they only lost by one goal. That's something to be optimistic about.

It's game one. Start complaining if the kings go down 3-0. Until then, everything is fine.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Said it before and I'll say it again, I won't worry until they lose at home. They need 1 road win. They got 3 more chances assuming they take care of business at home.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
I just watched the stanley cup dvd and good god...who are these guys :P

It looks like a combination of lack of drive/fire, fatigue, and injuries, as well as scouting. Some of those things you can't control or manufacture. The adjustments CAN be made. I still like our odds at taking a split. As godawful as today was, Chicago actually was pretty sloppy too.

This team looks injured and tired. They've played the most NHL level hockey of all the teams remaining. Not an excuse, but they look nothing, with the exception of Quick, like the team of last years run. Watched the Bruins/Pens game and I said to myself about the Bruins play, "That's how the Kings played for 4 straight series last playoffs.".

Unfortunately this seems to be true. I honestly didn't think the team would make it to the WCF. Hopefully this was the worst game they'll play.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Well, if you saw any of the Kings playoffs last year, the difference is that the Kings just cannot score goals. Kopitar looks about 20% of the player he was last year. He injured his knee in Sweden a few weeks before the season and he has worn a knee brace all year. He is much slower than last year and lost power as well. He also has another injury and we may never hear about it, unless he gets surgery. Kopitar used to make an impact every shift and now he may be lucky to make an impact 2 or 3 times a game. Also, Dustin Brown was a beast last yr vs the Canucks and the second series as well. He is about 25% of what he was last year. He was amazing from the day he got his hat trick, the day before the 2012 trade deadline, up until the day Mike Smith whacked him viciously on the back of his knee.
It was brutal and Smith should have been kicked out for 20 games or more....after that game, Dustin's game tapered off fast and he was average against the Devils. Not sure if he is injured, but he's ineffective.
If you look at Richards videos on youtube when he was in Philly, he no longer hits anyone and seems to play a safer and less physical game. He had a concussion last yr and it took until the Vancouver series for him to step up. He is still good, but coasts more than ANY player I have ever seen. Not saying he's not trying, but when I watch old footage of him, he's not the same...Carter is not even very effective lately. King is worthless. He somehow scored 5 goals last playoffs and now cannot make plays or score and he doesn't even hit hard anymore. We miss Willie Mitchell for sure, but nothing you can do about that. Not making excuses, but this is what it is.
Exactly, I just wanted to post something similar to this.

Only player that has been better compared to last year = Quick. That says a lot, because he won the Smythe. He is even better now. Richards is playing differentely compared to his Philly days but I wouldnt want to call it 'coasting'. I still think he has been the Kings best forward these playoffs, Williams is closing the gap though. Doughty is very good (bad game last night) but was great last year.

Carter has been bad for several games in a row already. In the regular season, even when he wasnt scoring he was at least noticable. I do think he's trying when he sees open ice. He immediatly uses his speed but than he makes a bad pass or looses the puck. BTW he got a heck of a chance on that last PP, something nobody seems to have noticed. Even worse, I think many people didnt even notice the 3rd period. The Kings werent that bad. Just many, incredibly many fanned, missed passes, one-timers etc etc. I dont know what it was.

To keep it short, Kopitar, Brown, King are much worse compared to last year. That = 15 goals.

Last edited:

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
LOL. We've looked like Garbage almost every playoff game this year.

I dont know what you're talking about. We've been **** on the road every game so far. If we wait to long to see what they will do, they will be eliminated. Wake up broseph.

Okay fine. We're doomed. Let's start draft talk.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
The Kings are becoming TM part 2. The defenseman RS, RR, And MG, have zero I mean zero push. Forwards are playing 3 on 5 in the offensive zone. We are going to see more of the boring 2-1 games and hopefully the Kings come out ahead. There is no reason for benching AMart over Muzzin. Look we know AMart has had lapses in the D end but bottom line is he is one of the Dmen that can actually carry the puck out of his own zone. This allows the forwards to work much less in trying to get the puck out. This equals more energy attacking. Kopitar is working so hard in the D zone he has no energy left in the offensive zone when they finally get the puck.

Some of you we're happy we signed RR so you better get used to wasting forward talent because he is a Pylon. There are stay at home defenseman that don't put up numbers but they can at least push the puck up. RR at this point of his career shoud be 3rd pairing D that is on the PK. That is why people said RR and Greene were redundant. If you want more scoring you need speed on the back end and this will open up the forwards. Now we may be looking at 4-3 games instead of 2-1 games but vs the Blackhawks We need more speed on the D.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011

Not playing as physical = coasting, got it. Richards is one of the few forwards who's actually been good this playoffs. He hasn't been spectacular, but compared to the rest of the bunch, he's been great. Take out him or Williams and this team is done, even with Quick in goal. However, both of these guys are surrounded by line mates who have been pretty awful with them. Penner started off well but now he's taking dumb penalties and not getting chances again. Carter has been ok, but Richards has given Carter some great looks and at some points, breakaways, and he hasn't been putting the puck in. I think we all know how Kopi and Brown have been.

Saying Richards coasts is just wrong. He's been out there covering forwards much bigger and taller than him. He knows how to watch the play and he doesn't drive head on into every moving body like he used to. But he's still effective and he's still been hammered now twice in these playoffs in an effort to get the puck to the net. The guy would play on one leg to win the game.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Some of you were happy we signed RR so you better get used to wasting forward talent because he is a Pylon. There are stay at home defenseman that don't put up numbers but they can at least push the puck up. RR at this point of his career shoud be 3rd pairing D that is on the PK. That is why people said RR and Greene were redundant. If you want more scoring you need speed on the back end and this will open up the forwards.

This isn't the Robyn Regher thread, but this needs to be said. As I said there, I wasn't thrilled about that signing, but I wasn't totally down about it either; I thought it was adequate, or at least an unfortunate necessity. The more I think about it, the more I think Regher is going to be an anchor. We saw very clearly last night how the guy is a liability in his own zone because the puck turns into a grenade as soon as it lands on his stick. For a team that relies on a quick breakout, he is a poor fit. That's why his possession numbers were poor before joining the team, and that's why they will continue to be poor.

And he's 33 now, and we've got him for two more years, at the cost of two 2nd round draft picks. Ouch.

My prediction is that he'll be the HF whipping boy by about next December.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
This year, we've been pretty bad, to be honest. i don't know if we deserve to be this far in playoffs considering our inability to score goals. We've probably played one solid game this whole playoffs, but today's game was even worse than how we normally played. I don't recall us turning the puck over so much in one game. It is quite obvious that everytime the hawks get the puck in our zone, they're a major threat. Any advantage I thought we would have by being "more physical" seemed to have been nullified. You guys hit as hard as we do with more speed and top end skill. i think it all comes down to Kopitar's line being so damn ineffective and that's killing us. If ranked by efficiency, I would say Kopitar's line is our 3rd most effective line and that's just not goign to work from here on out. I don't know what's going on, but Kopitar has become the Penner of the regular season.

We have overachieved this year, without a doubt, largely thanks to Quick. Our defensive unit is obviously not as strong as last year, and our forwards, despite the names being largely the same, have not played with the same kind of intensity, even audacity, that we saw last year. In part, I think it's injuries and fatigue; that has to be considered.

However, I think it's partly also attitude. This season, we've been hearing this story about being patient, and staying calm, and keeping an even keel emotionally, and all that. In addition, after nearly every game, we hear things like "We didn't play our best," or "We know we have to do better," even when we win. I think these two attitudes are complementary, and might be counter-productive at times, because nor have we seen the Kings play really intense, emotionally invested hockey. They're robots out there, going through the motions at three-quarters speed. The only guy who has shown much fire at all is Quick. Last season, as the audacious upstart underdogs, our guys were not afraid to go right at the other team, to get in their faces, to crash the net. This year, it seems like our players have too much respect for other teams. We're tentative in everything we do, rarely taking the aggressive play in favor of a "safe" play. Let me give a couple of examples.

For one thing, the physical game is just not there consistently. We saw it a few times against the Sharks (games 5-7), and it's remarkably effective when it's used. When our forecheckers finish every check for a few shifts in a row, they begin to gain possession. Yet, last night, they seemed to be miming a physical game, but never really making solid contact. Credit the Hawks' players with spinning away from our checkers, but still, as I was watching all I could think was that the Kings needed to hit harder. They needed to make hit that had an effect, not just cursory contact. This is one of the reasons that I (unlike many others) don't have a problem with Clifford taking shifts on the top line. At least the guy consistently tries to make solid contact. That cannot be said for Brown or Kopitar.

For another thing, the forwards are not as effective in their cycling, and I think part of this is the lack of killer instinct, and the constant caution exhibited when they cycle for a little while, and then back off for a line change. When they have a bit of pressure, this year's Kings don't follow it up. They don't keep pressing. Nor do they go to the net very effectively. It's one thing to play a grinding cycle game in which going straight to the net is not the first priority, but that is only effective when you can keep that cycle going all game and suffocate the other team that way. Our guys this year are possessing the puck a lot less, but their cycle still operates as though they are trying to grind the other team down instead of maximize offensive opportunities. The result is that the occasional possession shift (usually with the King-Stoll-Lewis line) plays with the puck in the corner for a few second, goes for a change, and then we're back to playing defense.

I think this can partly be attributed to a third issue, that our defensemen are not playing as aggressively this year. There are stretches when they contribute to the offense by pinching down the boards, but their default play this year has been to back off through the neutral zone. Our forwards are consistently outnumbered on attack, and thus it's not really surprising that they don't sustain pressure much. Our defensemen are too cautious this year; perhaps it's the lack of footspeed that's doing it. Certainly we miss Mitchell a great deal, but there's nothing to be done about it. Still, modern NHL hockey requires defensemen that are active players in all three zones. Our guys play behind their own red line for the most part, and it's killing us. It allows the other team to gain entry to our zone virtually at will, and all three opponents have done that.

The Kings need an attitude adjustment. They need to get angry and aggressive. (Side note: the penalties on Penner were unfortunate last night because he was one of the few players trying to really get things going. Those penalties I thought really neutered the physical play of the whole team. This is not a complaint about the refs; they call they game as they do, and good or bad calls even out. I just think we were unlucky in that regard, but still, the team needs to adjust to how the refs are calling things. You can't abandon your game plan because of a couple calls.) They need to get emotionally invested, and they need to leave it all on the ice.

Sydor25

LA Kings
agentfouser, you will see the attitude adjustment next season. The fire will be back if the Kings lose a series and realize how they wasted another excellent playoff by Quick. To give him less than 2 goals per game as support will really eat at the forwards this off season. They should all be motivated to arrive to camp with as fit as possible to sustain their play for an entire season and playoffs.

The Kings will also have some new players that want to win their first cup and make a name for themselves in the NHL. The Kings will have a fierce competition for a top 6 spot and several bottom six spots. The defense will also have some competition in camp.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Hopefully they all (sans Quick) train as hard as Carter does. And Kopitar needs to train in North America this off season.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
agentfouser, you will see the attitude adjustment next season. The fire will be back if the Kings lose a series and realize how they wasted another excellent playoff by Quick. To give him less than 2 goals per game as support will really eat at the forwards this off season. They should all be motivated to arrive to camp with as fit as possible to sustain their play for an entire season and playoffs.

The Kings will also have some new players that want to win their first cup and make a name for themselves in the NHL. The Kings will have a fierce competition for a top 6 spot and several bottom six spots. The defense will also have some competition in camp.

A positive prediction for the future. :handclap:

Alisa

Quickie fangirl
Oct 10, 2010
Orange County, Ca
I was also disappointed in yesterday's game, and our team's performance but am nowhere near throwing the towel in on our chance for the series.

There are 26 teams that would be dying to be in the spot we are in. That means we have, in one way or another, bested 26 teams to arrive where we are. I'm going to watch this series and be appreciative of that and the year we have had to get us here and enjoy every second of it. And, I believe we still have a chance of taking this further. 26 teams out, the four teams left are strong. Very strong this year. We cannot expect to come out and dominate game 1, away, in the wcfs against a team like Chicago. As much as I would love it to be, that hasn't been this Kings team's style. I fully expected a rough game and we saw that.

We saw a poor performance by our team, and lost by one goal. That speaks volumes to me on the shot we have at this. Quick was great, but we've seen him better, and I still expect to this year. That could easily steal an away game. The Kings have been phenomenal at home, and I think we can look forward to some wins there. If we handle business there like we should, that gives us three more shots at pulling off a win to advance. I see no reason why it couldn't happen today. So, the Kings at not even close to their best lost 2-1 to a powerhouse that is Chicago? I'm not surprised, or deflated. We come out with just a bit more push or one more save and tonight's game goes in our favor.

All in all, after the unrepeatable run they gave us last year, the Kings could have tanked this post season and I wouldn't have held it against them. However, here we are, WCFs, with a shot at going further still, and still a decent chance at doing the unspeakable and bringing us another Championship.

If there was ever a time to get behind this team and believe I think this is it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't think Richards is coasting out there, I think he gives a solid effort, there was no way he was going to maintain that style of play he had in Philly and have a long career, he would have ended up like Deadmarsh, and that would have been bad for everyone.

The issue I have with Richards is that he has been horrible in the defensive zone all season, especially against Chicago, the numbers are just so hideous. And that falls on Sutter, he needs to get that 2nd line out of matchups where they are primarily playing defense, it nearly cost them the SJ series, and if they can't keep Richards away from Toews they won't win this series.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
One of the reasons we've been good at home is that we've been able to match up Kopitar and Richards the way we want. Kopitar may not be scoring much, but he was helping keep Thornton in line on home ice, and that probably helped seal the series for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad