WCF Game 4: Winnipeg Jets @ Vegas Golden Knights | 8 PM ET | CBC, SN1, TVAS, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Right, but if Vegas didn't have the luck they wouldn't be here. Vegas is not a superior team on paper nor on ice, they just capitalized on chances.

Yeah, but when you are basing your entire identity around being an opportunistic team, can you really say it is just luck?

They've set their entire system around generating high quality opportunities from turnovers. At some point in time it has to be acknowledged that the chances they are generating aren't the same as ones other teams will generate.

Reactions: ChanceVegas
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Jets sat back with the lead in game 1, and Vegas barely generated s***. Plus if a team is dominated to an extreme point (Jets had 10 scoring chances to Vegas 0 until the game winning goal), it still shows flaws on that team.

One team was riding the emotions from a game 7 win two nights ago, while the other was off for a whole week. Same thing happened in game 1 of the Tampa vs. Boston series.

Vegas sat back, while the Jets pushed in a near must win game. How many scoring chances did the Jets generate after the Smith goal?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wonder how many GMs now look back in hindsight and regret the moves they made leading to the expansion draft.

Rob Blake ought to regret choosing Forbort over McNabb, but he really ought to regret choosing John Stevens over Gerard Gallant. Unfortunately, I doubt that he does.

Last edited:

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
How?

Let's see.

- They are an expansion team with no prior years of drafting or building.
- They are structured to have no stars in the line up. Something every team is building or has built around. (I guess the goalie counts...but the goalie? Come on)
- The entire team is built from cast aways that scouts and GM's all over this league had deemed expendable. So I guess everyone doesn't really know what they hell they are doing?

But they are playing great hockey.

People keep saying the bolded, but that's just not true. Many teams let players that they legitimately thought were core pieces of their team go because they would lose younger players who they expect will be better players in the future, and vice versa.

If anything, that is the joke here: the fact that the expansion draft rules were so severe that guys like Fleury and Neal and Perron and Sbisa were available, and Vegas even left a number of really good, top-6/top-4 guys on the board for compensatory trades that landed guys like Shea Theodore or because of monetary limits.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
How?

Let's see.

- They are an expansion team with no prior years of drafting or building.
- They are structured to have no stars in the line up. Something every team is building or has built around. (I guess the goalie counts...but the goalie? Come on)
- The entire team is built from cast aways that scouts and GM's all over this league had deemed expendable. So I guess everyone doesn't really know what they hell they are doing?

But they are playing great hockey.

They are not a team full of cast always, all of them were drafted and earned spots in the nhl and the majority of them were drafted again. You might say they were wanted more then a lot of players on there team.
And until the last 8 years or so teams were built from the net out. All it took was one team to win with average goaltending and everyone decided that goalies didn’t matter anymore.
The monkey see monkey do NHL.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Fleury is having a storybook season and it is looking like he will continue it into the Stanley Cup. He has been the difference in the series.

Vegas still has to win the 4th game but I would be surprised if the series goes past 5 games now.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
They screwed up because vegas is winning? It was the owners job to make sure they failed in their first year?

Vegas doesn't get to where they are If they had the opposition's goalies and the opposition had maf.

I could see maf repeating this too.

Goalies don't win cups by themselves. This team is structured entirely different to what every other team is striving to build too.

There is absolutely ZERO need for super stars eating your entire cap space when you could fill it with 2nd line players who work hard. This Vegas run SHOULD be changing the entire way that the rest of the league builds teams and grades talent.

Again. It's turning our league (100 years of history) into a joke in how the team is structured and how the entire league grades talent.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
All Jets can do is take it one game at a time. Every game has been close and we get 2 out of 3 at home. It's lookin pretty dismal but it ain't over. Simply just not giving up that early goal every game could make the difference.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets are just a minor side story here. The Vegas Golden Knights are about to walk right through the playoffs and win the cup, and make the NHL look bush league.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The difference in this series is Fleury make the save when it really counts and Helly doesn't. Helly has not played badly for the most part but when the Jets need that big save it is not there. Don't see the Jets winning three in a row. Can it happen? Yes. Odd are very high that it will not happen. Unless Fleury comes back to earth the Jets are done.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah we all laughed because we all assumed that this was a team of cast aways and b level players because all our GM's told us so.

It's not like any of us are getting paid hundred's of thousands to millions a year to grade NHL potential and talent.

Never mind that this entire run completely ****s on the need to sign any Matthews or McDavid's for 15 mil a season...
Well i guess it's time to stop listening to the other 30gms and only listen to gmgm, because he's clearly a hockey genius and the only hockey mind who knows what he's doing.

Until he doesn't of course.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
They are not a team full of cast always, all of them were drafted and earned spots in the nhl and the majority of them were drafted again. You might say they were wanted more then a lot of players on there team.
And until the last 8 years or so teams were built from the net out. All it took was one team to win with average goaltending and everyone decided that goalies didn’t matter anymore.
The monkey see monkey do NHL.

Bud. The odds of them winning the cup were 500 to 1.

So not only did the entire league f*** up grading this team's talent and potential...but so did the odd's makers.

We all look the fools here.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Goalies don't win cups by themselves. This team is structured entirely different to what every other team is striving to build too.

There is absolutely ZERO need for super stars eating your entire cap space when you could fill it with 2nd line players who work hard. This Vegas run SHOULD be changing the entire way that the rest of the league builds teams and grades talent.

Again. It's turning our league (100 years of history) into a joke in how the team is structured and how the entire league grades talent.
You’re wrong. This is really no different than the Oakland A’s of the early to mid 2000s in baseball, except Vegas is having success in the playoffs. Nobody thought that was a mockery. In fact, they made a movie about it.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005

This.

Vegas may be showing other GMS around the league there is another way to build a contender.

With all due respect to guys like Karlsson and Marchessault, you don't necessarily need the shiny toy superstar to build around (Crosby, McDavid, OV, Eichel) rather than a group of very good players who buy into a system.

You may see a lot of GMs opting to build their teams must like the Knights did, not that they had much of a choice.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The jets wouldn't even be here if not for Helle. Buff played a poor game tonight. It's easy to blame the goalie, but you don't get here without them.

Helle played too many games. His play has been deteriorating for a while and it’s coming to a head here.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I could have been born at literally any point in our infinite timeline and I was born in the timeline where Vegas is 1 game away from the SCF. :(

Dcj4MI5VAAA_NYb.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad