Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Going on the OP theme;
1654457046953.png

1654457042756.png

But they really don't. You fight your own battles in life. Lets hope the club are all in on the battle on a Monday night. Several haven't been being bold, just saying.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A miracle would be the most fitting way for McJesus to win this series. Down 0-3 in the Conference final will require a miracle to happen. But many records have already been broken these playoffs. There’s a first for anything right?

Last edited:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Got a feeling Smith starts again. They won't give a playoff game to a goalie leaving next year.

Hope I'm wrong.
The fact that they are in that situation is an indictment of Holland.

Going on the OP theme;
View attachment 556049
View attachment 556048

But they really don't. You fight your own battles in life. Lets hope the club are all in on the battle on a Monday night. Several haven't been being bold, just saying.
Were this a best of infinity, this would be a mere pebble in the road.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drink Rum and revel in the spirit of belief and be intoxicated in the moment. In the name of allegiance and hope at salvation that will be my gift to the hockey gods on Monday. A small sacrifice we can all make. I'm not working on Monday and can get a predrink head start. We'll see what it brings forth brethren.

Mixed Rum drinks on the menu. Gosling Black Seal mixed with Myer's Rum married with ice. Topped with Diet zero (don't hate me I love it) squeeze of limes and limes piled on top. Some macerated. Sprinkle of Bitter. Repeat multiple times. Drink. Medicine. Sit back and enjoy game, whatever happens. If I get into the Tiki drinks I don't know how it'll go...

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Watching the Rangers games really shows how important a reliable goalie is. Smith has been good these playoffs but he lets in to many stinkers at the worst time.

I’m fully expecting a Kane suspension so for next game we should go 11-7 and stack the 1st line.

Hyman-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Holloway-RNH-JP
Foegele-McLeod-Kassian
Ryan-Malone

Kulak-Ceci
Kieth-Bouchard
Nurse/Broberg-Barrie

Koskinen starts

We have nothing to lose right now. Get Holloway and Broberg some elimination game experience.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Not going to let anything bring me down tomorrow. Does it suck we are in this spot? Yes. Am I still proud we made it to the Final Four? Heck yea I am. Very valuable experience we are getting here.

I might even join the “let’s play Holloway train”. Let’s gooooooooo!

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Going to be tough. AVS have dominated this series. Keys to victory for Edmonton:
1) Smith needs to be great
2) Nurse needs to figure something out so as to not be a liability every time he’s out there
3) bottom 6 needs some identity

On that 3rd goal, Compher showed more huddle than any oiler in this series so far

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The series is very likely finished and decent chance it ends tomorrow. Injuries and poor goaltending are too much to overcome against a very good Avs team.

Full credit to the Avs, they are an outstanding team.

Having time to reflect after that devastating loss yesterday, it’s hard to be mad at the effort. The guys battled hard and played with heart, which is what I wanted to see. We played quite well 5 v 5, the Bouchard shot off the post and Compher scoring moments later when he comes out of the box was the difference.

Before Tippett was fired I thought a top 10 pick was likely. The culture and style of play dramatically improved under Woodcroft. He did a great job with this group. To go from one of the worst teams in the league towards the end of Tippett’s reign to a WCF while playing good hockey along the way was encouraging.

Upgrading our goaltending and depth will be a major priority this offseason.

They should play loose and with as much confidence as possible going into game 4. Backs are completely against the wall and everyone is expecting them to get swept anyways.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The fact that they are in that situation is an indictment of Holland.

Were this a best of infinity, this would be a mere pebble in the road.

Kind of a catch 22 of sorts because they likely wouldn’t have made it this far without him as well. Needs to do some work in the offseason to fix some holes that have been more prominent in this series against a good team. Cheap and good tandem goalie to run with Skinner, Barrie out for a defensive RD, probably bring back Kulak and shore up the bottom 6 (and not just relying on Holloway and / or Bourgault to save the day).

Reactions: BlackDogg

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
This team is not far off. It's just those final few missing pieces are going to be difficult to acquire and fit with-in the constraints of our cap situation.

Mike Smith can not be the starter next year. He is not good or consistent enough. Starting goaltender has to be acquired.

We need to re-sign Kane and we need another reliable top 6 option. McDavid-Kane and Draisaitl-Hyman are pairings that drive play, Yamamoto is a great complementary player and Holloway could potentially fill that other space from with-in.

Have to get another reliable top 4 defenseman when (hopefully) Keith retires. Nurse is severely hampered and should bounce back next year so Ceci and him is a solid top pairing. Desperately need somebody to pair with Bouchard.

So a #1G, Kane re-signed, top 6 F and a top 4 D. Holland better work some magic.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Hopefully that means Smith and Nurse out, but it won't.
Smith is hurt, yiu could tell after the collision half way thru the game. He left his net once and had hard time getting back and never left it again. Hopefully he admits it and can't play and maybe kostco can have a going away party

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Smith is hurt, yiu could tell after the collision half way thru the game. He left his net once and had hard time getting back and never left it again. Hopefully he admits it and can't play and maybe kostco can have a going away party

Yeah, maybe Koskinen can open the game by giving up a goal on the first shot one more time for old times sake.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Here's what I'd do:

Kane-McDavid-Draisaitl
McLeod-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-Ryan-Puljujarvi
Foegele, Shore

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouchard
Niemelainen/Broberg-Barrie
Broberg/Niemelainen

Skinner
Smith

Stack the top line since Drai isn't himself.

Give Holloway a regular shift.

Foegele stays in to protect any trade value that he might have, for no other reason.

Nurse sits, we tell him "thank you for being a warrior, but we need to see what the new guys have and you've given us everything that you have and then some, get healthy for next season".

Broberg and Niemelainen get in just to get some playoff reps so that they can be better prepared for next season.

Skinner gets the start because Smith is burned out, dinged up, etc. and there is no pressure on him and the young D and Holloway because this series has all but been decided already. If Smith wants to chase the cup it will have to be next season as a back-up here. He's taken us as far as he can as a 40 year old goalie.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Here's what I'd do:

Kane-McDavid-Draisaitl
McLeod-RNH-Hyman
Holloway-Ryan-Puljujarvi
Foegele, Shore

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouchard
Niemelainen/Broberg-Barrie
Broberg/Niemelainen

Skinner
Smith

Stack the top line since Drai isn't himself.

Give Holloway a regular shift.

Foegele stays in to protect any trade value that he might have, for no other reason.

Nurse sits, we tell him "thank you for being a warrior, but we need to see what the new guys have and you've given us everything that you have and then some, get healthy for next season".

Broberg and Niemelainen get in just to get some playoff reps so that they can be better prepared for next season.

Skinner gets the start because Smith is burned out, dinged up, etc. and there is no pressure on him and the young D and Holloway because this series has all but been decided already. If Smith wants to chase the cup it will have to be next season as a back-up here. He's taken us as far as he can as a 40 year old goalie.

I just don't see them not playing Nurse, unfortunately. If anything, he should at least play lesser minutes assuming he's in the game. He's getting killed especially on the mental side of the game. Kulak and Ceci should be able to hold their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad