GDT: WCF Game 1: Blues @ Sharks | NBC 7pm | Game One Part 3: First Blood

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Random thoughts:

On Losing game 1 - Yes we looked rough. Yes we lost badly. But how many times do you all have to count this team out before you learn? We've been rough, we've lost badly several times throughout the year. You all keep counting them out, and yet they are still here. I am not saying we will win the series, just that it is far from over. I expect us to look much better next game. Binnington does not lose two in a row, and its not just because of Binnington. The whole team steps up after a loss.

On Playing Poorly - I don't think we played that badly. We looked slow at the start, and they created chances with speed. But as we got into our game, we could neutralize that speed. However, on their goals, we had complete and total team break-downs. People like to point their finger at one player when the other team scores. But every goal was 3 to 4 people screwing up. For example on the first goal, Pietrangelo miss played the puck, forcing him to turn his back on the D, who then pushed him down. Eddy misplayed the pass, and Schenn coasted on the back-check not getting close enough to play couture's stick. That happened multiple times.

On playing Physical - When we play physical, we do well. When we try to send a message, we lose. We cannot chase hits. We play like crap when we chase hits. We need to take what hits we are given, work hard on the forecheck, but don't chase the hits. We have out hit our opponent 7 times and been outhit 7 times this playoff. We are 2 wins out of 7 when we outhit our opponent and 6 wins out of 7 when we get outhit. When we are hitting, we do not have the puck. Its far more important that we hit to dislodge the puck and win the possession game, then hit after the puck is gone to send a physical message.

On Refs - There is no conspiracy in favor of certain teams. Do certain teams get the benefit of calls more often than others. Absolutely. But its not an edict from the NHL to make sure X team wins. The NHL would have much rather Vegas won than San Jose. Its gamesmanship. Diving, whining, and all the other things you complain about other teams doing works. it works because the NHL is a fast game, and its very hard for the refs to see everything. So when a player throws his arms up and grabs his face or falls to the ground, that gets noticed much more than a stick glancing across a face or getting tangled in feet. When a coach complains in the media or to the ref directly, that gets remembered and stays in the refs mind. Sub-consciously it causes him to think about whatever the coach complained about and hence he is more likely to see it when it happens. So while you can call out the divers, actors and whiners all you want, it works. The NHL needs to crack down on diving and complaining about refs for sure. It needs to teach the refs consistency for sure. But there is no conspiracy to promote one team over the other. I find it quite humorous that everyone is making fun of Deboer's for whining while at the same time tacitly admitting it works because his team gets the benefit of calls.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Unfortunate bounces mixed with bad defensive play. All of this can’t stay consistent. We’ll play better game 2, I’m sure of it. We won game 1 at home against them in 2016. This is no where near over.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
I'm no expert on analysis, but it just looks to me like we don't make the other team work for their opportunities. We give them so many free scoring chances that it can't work over the course of the playoffs. We have got to clean up.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

A lot of Blues fans are clinging to the hope that this means Karlsson and San Jose want nothing to do with physical play. It's just the opposite. Its them laughing at us for gooning it up after our "message" didn't make a dent in their game plan.

That was old school Blues playoff hockey. Try to send a message...lose 6-3.

Erik Karlsson has been the target of physical play his whole career. It doesn't work. It just makes him better.

We've got to play much smarter the rest of this series or else we're done in 5 games.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
A lot of Blues fans are clinging to the hope that this means Karlsson and San Jose want nothing to do with physical play. It's just the opposite. Its them laughing at us for gooning it up after our "message" didn't make a dent in their game plan.

Erik Karlsson has been the target of physical play his whole career. It doesn't work. It just makes him better.

We've got to play much smarter the rest of this series or else we're done in 5 games.
Blues have to play smarter but pounding captian wanna be Jack Sparrow still can and needs to happen.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Karlsson has taken abuse his whole career. It rarely works. Unless you stomp on his Achilles tendon like Matt Cooke did.
I'm fine with finishing off that groin muscle.

Either way. He's playing injured and the abuse will eventually take its toll.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK 421

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

That's Karlsson trolling.

We cough up the puck too much.

Keep playing physical BUT be responsible with the puck.

The Sharks I believe are the most penalized team thus far in the playoffs, so is Karlsson saying they've been worried about things other than hockey themselves? No. He's trolling.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
5 on 3, bad bounce off of Dunn and an empty netter. Take those out and the game is tied. Sharks looked very beatable and the score a bit deceiving. For losing 6-3 I don't feel awful about it. Blues can beat this team. It was a clunker. Move on to game 2 and forget this one.

And there was a non call on ROR's goal also. Blais got away with interference on Vlasic. It goes both ways.

Reactions: HerpaDerp

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I don't think the officials missed a call on the zone entry that led to the Sharks' 5-on-3. Bozak got tangled up with the Sharks player entering the zone. I do think the officials missed a call on Thornton on a faceoff where he dragged O'Reilly to the ice, considering 19 was in the box for a similar play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad