WCF: Edmonton Oilers vs. Colorado Avalanche ( Avs lead 3-0 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They got to the third round. Losing to a superior team does not make them frauds.
Last seasons third round teams - Habs Islanders Knights Lightening.
Three of them didn't even make the play offs this season.
Teams doesnt have to be world beaters to make the third round in the NHL .......and losing when you get there doesn't expose any of those teams as frauds. 🤣

Yeah, but usually getting swept means you shouldn't be there. Everyone laughs at the Habs last year for making the final and the Leafs, Vegas, and Winnipeg for losing to them... but even the Habs didn't get swept in the Finals by the Lightning.

That's how it works in a bracket system, some brackets will be easier than others. To me, the Colorado - St. Louis series was the WCF but due to the bracket they had to play in the second round. St. Louis was tied that series too until Binnington got injured (they were winning the game before Binnington went down and they ultimately lost).

When a team wins a bracket and gets swept, it means the weaker bracket was making the team appear stronger than it was, hence, frauds.

Last edited:

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Exactly. That's the problem with these boards, they make horrendous takes and then when you call them out on it.. they get defensive and start playing the victim. Zero accountability. :laugh:

Oilers played 2 consecutive teams that missed the playoffs the year prior, and he goes out and calls the Avs frauds.

I can’t speak for @snag , but I’m confused as to why you called out THAT take. I mean Edmonton in 6 wasn’t that bad of a prediction. There were Oil in 4 & 5 predictions out there.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I can’t speak for @snag , but I’m confused as to why you called out THAT take. I mean Edmonton in 6 wasn’t that bad of a prediction. There were Oil in 4 & 5 predictions out there.

It wasn't the predict that was hilarious, he said "The Avs are sheep in wolves clothings. Pretenders, fakes, frauds."

I called out that take back when it was posted also. Had a few other posters jump on me for saying the Oilers are more likely to be frauds having played 2 teams that aren't even consistent playoff teams, both missed the year prior.

Avs in 4.

Oilers going to realize they're not as good as the Pacific made them look. All 3 teams in the Pacific this year had a combined 0 playoff wins last year because they weren't able to beat up on each other. There's no contenders in that division. In any year, any team can win that division, especially if expansion kings of the Pacific Vegas falters.
Looking forward to you being wrong again!
Well, let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

The last time the Oilers had to play a team not in the Pacific, they got swept.
you had the Flames in like 5 games...you're never right LOL

seriously, sit this one out
:scared:

To be fair, I still could be wrong. The Oilers can surprise me and win a game outside the Pacific for once.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I highlighted this because you described why it should be a suspension always

If player safety is truly important reckless plays need to be addressed. Players need to respect other players to help player safety.

Goons are gone, a goon cant punish kane like the old days - that part the nhl fixed. Now it is on them to close their own loop on player safety

Reckless plays are what needs to be addressed.
I appreciate your chivalrous take but I see this as a play that happens 10 times a game. The outlier is Kadri was in a more vulnerable position as he looked to already be off balance. The play happened split second and Kane did what 99% of the players in the league would do there. It is an extremely unfortunate result but his suspension is solely on the fact that Kadri was hurt and Kane has a history. This was not some malicious intent and that cross check will happen time and again in literally every game. If this was RNH or Ceci there is no suspension. I am not a Kane fan but anyone can see, if they are truly going to be objective, that this is a common play with a poor result.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I appreciate your chivalrous take but I see this as a play that happens 10 times a game. The outlier is Kadri was in a more vulnerable position as he looked to already be off balance. The play happened split second and Kane did what 99% of the players in the league would do there. It is an extremely unfortunate result but his suspension is solely on the fact that Kadri was hurt and Kane has a history. This was not some malicious intent and that cross check will happen time and again in literally every game. If this was RNH or Ceci there is no suspension. I am not a Kane fan but anyone can see, if they are truly going to be objective, that this is a common play with a poor result.
Thank you explaining the problem in great detail and outlining how passive we are to it.

There are a small group of plays thay should be eliminated from the game.. this is one of them. It can be simply negated by grabbing the guy and riding him into the boards and pinning him

Remember the stop signs on kids jerseys? What the f*** are they there for then..

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Exactly. That's the problem with these boards, they make horrendous takes and then when you call them out on it.. they get defensive and start playing the victim. Zero accountability. :laugh:

Oilers played 2 consecutive teams that missed the playoffs the year prior, and he goes out and calls the Avs frauds.
Remember when you said the oilers didn't have a chance against the flames? Then when they do come out of the Pacific you say it's a weak division. Oh the irony.

The one constant is that the team you cheer for is the worst playoff performer of the past 2 decades and is the epitome of a fraud. They already missed their chance based on the core's age and team budget constraints.

• Haha
Reactions: Just Rude

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Remember when you said the oilers didn't have a chance against the flames? Then when they do come out of the Pacific you say it's a weak division. Oh the irony.

The one constant is that the team you cheer for is the worst playoff performer of the past 2 decades and is the epitome of a fraud. They already missed their chance based on the core's age and team budget constraints.

I don't know. I think it's more of a fraud getting swept than losing in 7. Losing in 7 to the back to back champs, it's like fine, you're not there yet but it was competitive.

Losing in 4... it's like why are you even here? Nashville was tougher than the Oilers. I wouldn't brag about playing 2 teams that missed the playoffs and then getting swept when you played a team that made the playoffs last year also... but that's just me.

Coming from a sweep in the first round, I can see why a sweep in the third round sounds great. However, that's mainly due to an easier bracket. If you were to hypothetically play Winnipeg this year, it'd be in the third round also.

Yeah, I overestimated the Pacific. Ironically, much like most Oilers fans. If the Oilers wanted to actually prove the Pacific was tough and they were just a great team... you got to win a game outside your division, you can't keep getting swept.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know. I think it's more of a fraud getting swept than losing in 7. Losing in 7 to the back to back champs, it's like fine, you're not there yet but it was close.

Losing in 4... it's like why are you even here? Nashville was tougher than the Oilers. I wouldn't brag about playing 2 teams that missed the playoffs and then getting swept when you played a team that made the playoffs last year also... but that's just me.

Coming from a sweep in the first round, I can see why a sweep in the third round sounds great. However, that's mainly due to an easier bracket. If you were to hypothetically play Winnipeg this year, it'd be in the third round also.

Yeah, I overestimated the Pacific. Ironically, much like most Oilers fans.

I’m sure the Avs players won’t give the Oilers players the same amount of respect in the handshake line/60 as the Lightning did the Leafs after they sweep the Oilers.

Too bad.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I don't know. I think it's more of a fraud getting swept than losing in 7. Losing in 7 to the back to back champs, it's like fine, you're not there yet but it was competitive.

Yeah, I overestimated the Pacific. Ironically, much like most Oilers fans.

All of your posts are dripping in copium. Just keep ripping on other teams because yours was eliminated early once again.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
All of your posts are dripping in copium. Just keep ripping on other teams because yours was eliminated early once again.

Eliminated by teams better than Edmonton, yes.

Never swept though.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Thank you explaining the problem in great detail and outlining how passive we are to it.

There are a small group of plays thay should be eliminated from the game.. this is one of them. It can be simply negated by grabbing the guy and riding him into the boards and pinning him

Remember the stop signs on kids jerseys? What the f*** are they there for then..
You are highly oversimplifying it. Do you want all cross checks to be suspendable? Because that’s all this was… a cross check, and a minor one at that. What you are proposing is to suspend the result, not the action. Kadri doesn’t even go down if he’s not already off balance. Which, again, Kane would absolutely not know due to how fast it developed.

The stop on the back of the jerseys were there to remind kids about hits from behind, not light pushes and cross checks.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I guess you could make the argument about binnington, although thats debateable... but other than that, who?
There are about 5 EDM posters (that I've seen) that really seem to believe that the Landeskog hit on Yamamoto was dirty. Meanwhile, no one outside of those 5 people seem to think that way and realize that sometimes this is what happens when a player that is roughly 6'2 - 200lbs runs into a guy 5'8 - 95lbs.

I mean, the same thing happened to Sam Girard against STL when Barbashev ran him over. I saw 2-3 Avs that seem to think it should have been a suspension but the rest got it. Same situation here... It's a non-story for those that understand the game.

I can help you 5 EDM fans and take a page right out of the bLose playbook if it will help you sleep at night -> if not for that hit, Yamamoto was all set to put the team on his back and start scoring 5 goals per games and send the oilers straight into the SCF had he not been injured!
But it isn't JUST Kane or Kadri...the athletic has a good write-up calling out others too. And they aren't wrong.

And OMG.....they said Mack slew-footed Drassaitl LOL ;)

Ah yes the magical NINJA-slew foot where Draisaitl is already in the air vertically before MacKinnons foot even touched the back of Leon's leg. (It actually never even makes contact with the back of his leg)

I won't contest that MacKinnon thrusted him backwards but that's called interference - not even close to a slewfoot. The reason it's called a slewfoot is because the slew-footer uses his foot to trip up an unsuspecting player (the slew-footee) from behind. This didn't happen.

Again, apart from a few oiler mega-homers that need to come up with a reason as to why they are down 3-0, I guess they stick to stuff like this and that Makar goal from Game #1.

Reactions: wayninja

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

Yeah, I overestimated the Pacific. Ironically, much like most Oilers fans. If the Oilers wanted to actually prove the Pacific was tough and they were just a great team... you got to win a game outside your division, you can't keep getting swept.
Avs fan that can confirm that the Oilers are definitely a tougher out than Nashville. Despite the Blues winning two games I think the Oilers might be tougher than them as well, or at least on the same level of team.

People see that it went to 6 and assume that it was close but the Blues looked like they were on the penalty kill for most of the series. They were very fortunate it didn’t end in 5.

The Oilers are down 3-0 but I think they played better than Colorado in game 3. The Avs definitely deserved the first two games though. Series could easily be 2-1 Avs but they got some nice bounces in game 3.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah, but usually getting swept means you shouldn't be there. Everyone laughs at the Habs last year for making the final and the Leafs, Vegas, and Winnipeg for losing to them... but even the Habs didn't get swept in the Finals by the Lightning.

That's how it works in a bracket system, some brackets will be easier than others. To me, the Colorado - St. Louis series was the WCF but due to the bracket they had to play in the second round. St. Louis was tied that series too until Binnington got injured (they were winning the game before Binnington went down and they ultimately lost).

When a team wins a bracket and gets swept, it means the weaker bracket was making the team appear stronger than it was, hence, frauds.
Or it just means the team they lost to is flat out a better team. Edmonton earned their way to the WCF. They hit the team that many predicted would represent the west in the final, and many of those predicted will win the cup. Getting outgunned in 3 straight sucks. But all it shows is that one team is better.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Imagine making it to the WCF only to put on this embarrassing performance and about to get swept? I wouldn’t want any of those players on my team, even no show McDavid. Guy is a loser and will never win a Stanley cup.
The same thing happened to the Pens in 2013 vs Boston in the ECF (Even worse since they only scored 2 goals during the sweep) and then went on to win back to back Stanley Cups a few years later with the same core. You can add Tampa losing to Columbus in 4 before the back to back Cups too lol.

Imagine thinking that McDavid is the issue lol

Horrible take.

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Colorado's path to the Cup has to be one of the weakest we've seen yet, no?

Round 1 - playing the weakest team in the playoffs who are missing their MVP goaltender.

Round 2 - playing a strong STL team that's missing their #1 goaltender.

Round 3 - playing a decent Oilers team, but definitely a weaker opponent than you would normally expect in a Conference Finals.

It feels like the SCF, barring injuries, will be the only true championship calibre team they face. I was high on the Blues too, but once Binnington went down, it seemed like that whole series disintegrated. Every puck was going in.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I’ve watched every Avalanche playoff game and thus far the quality of competition has been Nashville > Edmonton > St. Louis. The Predators played tough and had guys who could score, Edmonton just had guys who could score, and St. Louis just had the referees in their pockets so Perron could score on the power play and then cheap shot Kadri.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Round 1 - playing the weakest team in the playoffs who are missing their MVP goaltender.

Round 3 - playing a decent Oilers team, but definitely a weaker opponent than you would normally expect in a Conference Finals.

It feels like the SCF, barring injuries, will be the only true championship calibre team they face. I was high on the Blues too, but once Binnington went down, it seemed like that whole series disintegrated. Every puck was going in.
huh ? Husso was terrific

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

A team can only play who is in front of them. Just because the competition is deemed weaker, that doesn’t diminish the wins. Several times (just in the last few years) we have seen teams that had supposedly weaker teams in round one have lost those series.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
A team can only play who is in front of them. Just because the competition is deemed weaker, that doesn’t diminish the wins. Several times (just in the last few years) we have seen teams that had supposedly weaker teams in round one have lost those series.
I wasn't diminishing their wins, and I agree you can only beat who you play. I am hoping for a Tampa - Colorado finals, myself. Best two teams in the NHL right now in my opinion, and I could see Colorado winning and then rattling off another Championship run next year.

Reactions: Alienblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad