Pre-Game Talk: WC Qualifier: (5) Edmonton Oilers vs. (12) Chicago Blackhawks

What will be the most important factor in the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
It shows me you have too much time on your hands.
Games like hockey are to dynamic to evaluate player depth based on stats comparisons between teams. A better way is to look at jobs and figure from there. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I hate that everyone is picking the Oilers...

Bobby Mac says “only 2 real upsets in the 1st round, if Mon beats Pitt or Chi beats Edm”

Jinx jinx jinx...lol
Call me insane. I just have some weird sick feeling that Price will stand on his head and Montreal could get the upset.

Reactions: Faelko

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Bobby Mac says “only 2 real upsets in the 1st round, if Mon beats Pitt or Chi beats Edm”

Jinx jinx jinx...lol

For the record, according to BMac:

If Columbus beats the Leafs, IT'S NOT AN UPSET.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
In Normal circumstances i would confidently pick the Oilers. However one preseason game and then straight to the qualifying round is not ideal. Teams need a long time to round into form. You cant simulate the live games with practice. So this is why i would be careful at declaring a clear winner.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This just in: Gary Bettman has paid off the refs to f*** us over. Brace yourselves!

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Crazy how were just jumping right back into intense, fun, emotional hockey. I bet after Saturday is over the hockey world will be buzzing and back to normal again in that sense.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You've been churning out the zingers recently. Looking to get back into game shape?

I'm not one for getting pumped for exhibition games against fodder like the Flames. Did lol at McD schooling Rittich with the no look goal. lol, the Oilers hate that f***. McD and Drai probably couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah I'm getting geared up as shit gets real now and it looks like they have the bubble well enough in hand. That was my worry. We'll see what happens. Hawks, I'm finding every day again, are an easy enough team and org to dislike.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm not one for getting pumped for exhibition games against fodder like the Flames. Did lol at McD schooling Rittich with the no look goal. lol, the Oilers hate that f***. McD and Drai probably couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah I'm getting geared up as shit gets real now and it looks like they have the bubble well enough in hand. That was my worry. We'll see what happens. Hawks, I'm finding every day again, are an easy enough team and org to dislike.
I like them just fine, but they get quickly offended if you point out that we are the heavy favorites for good reason.

I mean, it's not like in 2006 when we added Peca and Roloson at the deadline and climbed in. They subtracted players even.

Although they might be going along with the media, who are pumping up the series, because what else would they do? It's not interesting if you just say it should be easy win for a side.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

Jinx jinx jinx...lol
Grain of salt. No one picked the Blue Jackets to beat the Lightning last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Grain of salt. No one picked the Blue Jackets to beat the Lightning last year.

The lightning are a size challenged forward lineup that are not built out, and never have been, to get it all done in the playoffs. The Oilers have all types of facets at forward, speed, skill, size, and some guys that punch donkeys. For the lightning to have size in the lineup they have to sub out forward skill. Similar to the Flames who have to play idjits like Zac Rinaldo to try to be playoff tough.

I love that a guy like Draisaitl was out there knocking flames down like bowling pins. A lot of teams simply can't handle McDrai, either of them. Nuge has really come to the party as well. I've never been a huge Nuge fan but he's better than the current version of Toews. So that the Oilers have 3 better centers than Toews. Thats real tough for the Hawks to handle.

This is the Oilers for the taking. They look like they toyed with Calgary and weren't wanting to show too much.

Reactions: Oilhawks and subnet

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Columbus beating Toronto would be a total upset. Jackets lost a ton of players from last years team I seem to recall.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think the argument would be none of those groups were almost wiped out by the ancestors of the people now using the names. Hard to separate the history of Indigenous sports logos from the history of Indigenous people.

That's an entirely fair point and I agree with it.

But I guess part of my question is: who is asking for the symbols to be removed? Is it the (understandably offended) oppressed? Or the (guilty) oppressor? That's an honest question, I haven't followed the story. I would hope community leaders in among the former are driving the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad