WC QROUND: May 6 GDT - Russia vs. Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Semin and Zinovjev are back. So lines according to Krikunov will be (optimal line up ) :
Kharitonov - Datsyuk - Kovalev
Semin - Yashin - Kozlov
Kovalchuk - Zinovjev - Antipov
Ovechkin - Malkin - Afinogenov

As I know Fedorov and Nepryaev will sit.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Switzerland is still tired. They had big win against Germany and they are't physically ready for this hard skating team.

Russia 6 - 1 Switzerland.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Russia hasn't been very convincing so far. If Switzerland plays like Austria did last saturday, they may give the russians a hard time. Still, the fatigue from yesterday's game will be a big factor, so I go with a 3-1 russian win.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
stv11 said:
Russia hasn't been very convincing so far.
I agree. The top line of Kharitonov - Datsyuk - Kovalev has been good, but teams like Slovakia, Canada and the Czech Republic are firing on all-cylinders with two offensive lines clicking. Sometimes Malkin has helped his line create opportunities.

However, three Russian lines could be described as full of a bunch of torpedoes individually released toward the target, often detonated or knocked off course. Yashin surges in, taken out of the play; Kovalchuk breaks for the net, is checked aside; Afinogenov heads straight with the puck, is tied up; Kozlov and Ovechkin too, occasionally.

It's like a big game of keepaway and puck hog on pond ice. Not a lot of "team" in the team.

That said, the Swiss won't stop all the torpedoes.

Prediction: 5-2 Russia

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
Maybe Abby can steal this game. Swiss are mentally strong, high-flying after so many wins since the olympic-qualification, so the physics should not be a problem unless they get a mental-knack.
Problem might be: who will score goals for the swiss team? still vs. the big 7 teams they seem to have lots of troubles scoring goals...

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
Kovalchuk will wake up thanks to the return of Zinovjev. 1 PPG and 1 breakaway goal. It will take 1 period for the new line-up to take its marks and then Aebischer will get shelled. Final 4-1 Russia

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
Patrick Bärtschi may be in the line-up tonight, he'll be fresh and ready, maybe he's going to kill the big russian bear...

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't see which player Bärtschi may replace. Krüger will never cut a strong forward like Della Rossa or Ziegler to add him, and none of the other player deserve to be cut.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
stv11 said:
I don't see which player Bärtschi may replace. Krüger will never cut a strong forward like Della Rossa or Ziegler to add him, and none of the other player deserve to be cut.
Ambuehl seems to be tired, so maybe it's him?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
You're right, I forgot about Ambühl. That should be him, as Romy, Conne or Wichser clearly deserve to stay in the line up.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Ohhhhhhhhh yes SEMIN and Zinovjey are back :yo:

I go with 5:2 Russia ................because Semin + Zenovjev are not on 100 % ....

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I've seen it on TSN...

Sunday, May 8
10:15 AM
Denmark vs Austria
-
Slovakia vs Switzerland
-