WC QRound 5/9 USA vs. Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruutu

Apr 23, 2004
Terry O said:
this is weird. penalty shot for US cause a Ukraine player knocked the net off its base
Parise taking
Because of last 2 minutes.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
DevilsFan38 said:
Weird - why did Parise take it?

Someone on the ice at the time has to take it, and the coach may have felt Parise had the best chance of the 5 guys who were on the ice at the time.

Terry O

Apr 23, 2003
NH:WILDCAT Country
Visit site
Third Period
58.35 PS Miss USA 23. PARISE, Zach
56.12 2 min USA 21. COLE, Erik Roughing
56.12 2 min Ukraine 34. ISAYENKO, Denys Highsticking
53.48 2 min USA 9. MODANO, Mike Roughing
49.22 2 min USA 28. HALL, Adam Roughing
49.22 2 min Ukraine 34. ISAYENKO, Denys Roughing
46.17 2 min Ukraine 7. BOBROVNIKOV, Vasyl Kneeing
43.50 2 min USA 9. MODANO, Mike Hooking
43.50 2 min Ukraine 7. BOBROVNIKOV, Vasyl Unsportsmanlike Conduct
42.45 1 - 1 PP1 USA 2. HAUER, Brett
(39. WEIGHT, Doug)
41.38 2 min Ukraine 29. SEMENCHENKO, Vitali Interference

Second Period
37.31 2 min Ukraine 5. TOLKUNOV, Dmytro Holding
30.15 0 - 1 EQ Ukraine 27. KASIANCHUK, Kostiantyn
(29. SEMENCHENKO, Vitali)
27.10 2 min USA 2. HAUER, Brett Interference
21.49 2 min Ukraine 34. ISAYENKO, Denys Interference

First Period
13.36 2 min USA 26. KNUBLE, Mike Slashing
13.13 2 min Ukraine 31. ZAVALNYUK, Vyacheslav Interference
0.36 2 min Ukraine 16. TSYRUL, Dmytro Hooking
00.00 GK in USA 30. CONKLIN, Ty
00.00 GK in Ukraine 1. SIMCHUK, Kostyantyn

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I wasn't sure what the rules were on who could take the penalty shot. I can't imagine why they picked Parise, he's much more of a passer than a shooter. Do you know who else was out there?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Meh.......... A game the U.S. should have won, but whatever. Good game plan by the Ukraine and their goalie played very well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DevilsFan38 said:
I wasn't sure what the rules were on who could take the penalty shot. I can't imagine why they picked Parise, he's much more of a passer than a shooter. Do you know who else was out there?

He did play in the AHL this year which features the shootout.........

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
DevilsFan38 said:

Sorry mam, I've been using this board to update me.

Obviously the US had 2 defencemen out there, so they are out of the equation, and it depends on who Parise's 2 wingers were... if it was like Cole and Stastny, Parise is obviously the best choice.

edit: damn genders! ;)

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
Yeah my only form of updates have been this board as well - it's so frustrating not being able to watch! (oh, and for the record, I'm a female)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
it's nice to see Russia is not the only "supposed to be good team" to tie a "supposed to lose 8-0 team"

Captain Leaf

This tournament is the most wacky one ever ....who can figure anything out ..i dont think there is any clear #1 contender , shes wide open .Whomever gets hot goaltending may take it all .

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
so the quarters will likely look like this :

Rus - Fin
Swe - Swi
Cze - USA
Can - Svk

espo*

Captain Leaf said:
This tournament is the most wacky one ever ....who can figure anything out ..i dont think there is any clear #1 contender , shes wide open .Whomever gets hot goaltending may take it all .
It is wacky.Hard to figure out.who knows who the real deal is here yet?

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Pretty much an expected result in this meaningless game. Ukraine wanted not to lose with a blowout score, and USA just wanted to get it over with, without any injuries. Ukraine played careful defence and their goalie was very good. In the first two periods USA was very lazy and sloppy, but they found the necessary grit and pride to tie the game in the third period.

Well, nobody got injured(?) and Ukraine got a point from one of the big ones. I guess everybody's happy?

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
dawgbone said:
Obviously the US had 2 defencemen out there, so they are out of the equation, and it depends on who Parise's 2 wingers were... if it was like Cole and Stastny, Parise is obviously the best choice.
If memory serves, it was a dman who scored the winning shootout goal for the USA in both the quarter-final and bronze medal games for USA last year (see ROACH, ANDY)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ipa said:
Pretty much an expected result in this meaningless game. Ukraine wanted not to lose with a blowout score, and USA just wanted to get it over with, without any injuries. Ukraine played careful defence and their goalie was very good. In the first two periods USA was very lazy and sloppy, but they found the necessary grit and pride to tie the game in the third period.

Well, nobody got injured(?) and Ukraine got a point from one of the big ones. I guess everybody's happy?

That's a nice way to put it. I can live with that.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
DevilsFan38 said:
Weird - why did Parise take it?

to go with the NYI conspiracy theory:

Former NYI head coach Laviolette was unhappy with the amount of press DP, Milbury's legacy boy, got for the pass/goaltending vs. Sweden, that he needed to try and rub something in his former bosses face - whom is at the Worlds. Parise, the draft pick Milbury 'passed over' to draft much maligned, seldom played Nilsson's son, was the perfect choice.

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad